AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-16, 17:48   Link #61
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Hokay... anyone happen to work out som OP lyrics? D: I'm usually good with things like this but I can't tell what the hell she is saying. Throughout most of it.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 20:58   Link #62
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
The part where Dutch mentions the Filipino navy caught me by surprise though. I was thinking, "Dude... We have a navy?"
I seem to vaguely remember something about Philippine navy gunboats having some sort of battle with Chinese warships and reputedly ramming chinese fishing boats in the late 90's. So the Philippine must have some sort of Navy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJlost
Spoiler:
You have to be joking... what pure crap....might be a show stopper as far as I concerned.
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 22:38   Link #63
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Spoiler for Ep.2:
Old 2006-04-16, 22:58   Link #64
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80
Spoiler for Ep.2:
The Russian woman with the scars is the boss of the Black Lagoon.

She was blackmailing Rock's former boss. Effectively, Levi gave the disc to the Russian lady, who then give the disc to Rock's former boss because they had already payed up the ransom for the disc. The lady had no interests in the disc beyond the money.

Since the deal was settled, it was quicker for everything to happen in the same time rather than to have two separate meeting places. You don't see a suitcase full of cash changing hands, most likely because the money was transferred electronically.
Old 2006-04-16, 23:19   Link #65
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant

She was blackmailing Rock's former boss. Effectively, Levi gave the disc to the Russian lady, who then give the disc to Rock's former boss because they had already payed up the ransom for the disc. The lady had no interests in the disc beyond the money.

Since the deal was settled, it was quicker for everything to happen in the same time rather than to have two separate meeting places. You don't see a suitcase full of cash changing hands, most likely because the money was transferred electronically.
If you mean "boss" as in client, then yes, you are corret.

But, if you meant "boss" as in "leader" then no, she isn't.

Spoiler for manga spoiler:

Latest Post: Black Lagoon Summaries Update and Volume 1 (VIZ) ImpressionsÖ (August 15,2008)
Latest Summary: Elemental Gelade [Volume 14] (July 29, 2008)
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 23:23   Link #66
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant

Ok, that makes more sense now. Thanks.
Old 2006-04-17, 00:39   Link #67
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Belawan is in Indonesia. One of their major port cities
Yeah, it's possible that there's some translation mishap somewhere. The manga has Palawan port, and the anime mentions "Balawan" or possibly Belawan.

Anyway, I was just kidding about our navy. Jeez man, it's like you guys are chewing me for it.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 01:10   Link #68
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Hokay... anyone happen to work out som OP lyrics? D: I'm usually good with things like this but I can't tell what the hell she is saying. Throughout most of it.
something like this, although I'm sure several mistakes are there
Spoiler for OP lyrics:
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 05:29   Link #69
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI
something like this, although I'm sure several mistakes are there
Spoiler for OP lyrics:
Thanks for the lyrics. Although, like most Japanese songs with English lyrics, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 2006-04-17, 07:39   Link #70
Ending

It could had begun quite a lot better.

A) The protagonist gets his ass handed to him by terrorists.
b) The protagonist joins the terrorists.

Why? Because he is a kiss-ass loser, that's why. I have seen worse choises for a protagonist, but not that many.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 12:13   Link #71
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Why does everyone keep calling her "Levi"? Her name is Revi. LoL fail.

Lyrics. I swear I hear her say "for christs sake that's what you were" in the end of the song. Ugh... is it June yet? I want this song already. :/

And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2006-04-17, 12:21   Link #72
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
It could had begun quite a lot better.

A) The protagonist gets his ass handed to him by terrorists.
b) The protagonist joins the terrorists.

Why? Because he is a kiss-ass loser, that's why. I have seen worse choises for a protagonist, but not that many.
He is your typical salaryman. Not a loser, but merely someone trained in a rigid system to be a serf who obeys his masters. This can be easily identified and sympathised by tens of thousands of people in Japan.

Now that he cracked and decided to rebel, I can expect good things from him. Afyer all, this is effectively a fantasy for those people in dead end jobs, who wanted to dream of freedom. (these salarymen likely read the Black Lagoon manga during the traintrip to and from work.)

So no, you can't use anyone but Rock for this story, because without him the audience in Japan won't be able to imagine themselves in his shoes.
(The "I am quiting this stinking job! From now on I am Rock!" scene is most likely a great fantasy too for such audiences.)

Shonen manga has teenage boys as main characters. Shoujo manga has tennage girls as main characters.
So naturally, manga for the average working man would have the average working man as main characters.

The work conditions (especially the worker's unions) are different from that of the West. Perhaps that's why you couldn't identify with him.
Old 2006-04-17, 12:48   Link #73
Seyluun

When I saw this show i wished they made a Shadowrun anime, because Black Lagoon is just this, the story of a team of shadowrunners joined by some wagesalve, minus the great world of the rpg.
Seyluun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 12:53   Link #74
kujoe
from head to heel

Actually from the looks of it, Rock has a tougher side beneath his mild-mannered personality. It doesn't show that often, but when he's pissed, he's pissed. In the manga, it seems he's the only one in the BL crew who could go head to head with Levi/Revi when it comes to the anger department. (like when they argue...) Now that's something considering the kind of person he is.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 12:56   Link #75
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
Actually from the looks of it, Rock has a tougher side beneath his mild-mannered personality. It doesn't show that often, but when he's pissed, he's pissed. In the manga, it seems he's the only one in the BL crew who could go head to head with Levi/Revi when it comes to the anger department. (like when they argue...) Now that's something considering the kind of person he is.
I think deep down, every Japanese salaryman is pissed-angry... You just need the right catalyst to bring it out.

And now that Rock has thrown caution to the wind and gave up safety and security for the sake of freedom, he has burnt his bridges. There is no turning back, and from now on he isn't going to let anyone walk over him like a doormat ever again. Not even Revi.
Old 2006-04-17, 13:18   Link #76
v1cious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
I seem to vaguely remember something about Philippine navy gunboats having some sort of battle with Chinese warships and reputedly ramming chinese fishing boats in the late 90's. So the Philippine must have some sort of Navy.
You have to be joking... what pure crap....might be a show stopper as far as I concerned.
i'm sorry but i thought that was great. you have to suspend belief a little when it comes to shows like this.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 14:05   Link #77
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Why does everyone keep calling her "Levi"? Her name is Revi. LoL fail.
Actually, she is American and doesn't speak Japanese... And I think in manga they call her "Levi" in English.
Quote:
Lyrics. I swear I hear her say "for christs sake that's what you were" in the end of the song.
Yeah, that certainly makes more sense. Well, I mentioned that mistakes are there in the first post.
Old 2006-04-17, 14:10   Link #78
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI
Actually, she is American and doesn't speak Japanese... And I think in manga they call her "Levi" in English.
As others in this thread pointed out, Levi was her old name in the manga. But the authur recently changed it to Revi, so Revi is now the new correct name.
Old 2006-04-17, 14:18   Link #79
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Hm... the japanese version I saw had "Revi" in it. D: I dunno. Reprint maybe?

Old 2006-04-17, 14:55   Link #80
SinsI

Let's just say that Levi became the standard one because of manga, and it's hard to change. And since it is a boy's name it says something about her - it's probably a nickname.
On the other hand, I couldn't find a zinch about name 'Revy'.
The author made a lot of mistakes with foreign languages in manga, one more(with the transliteration of her name) is nothing new, but that made that transliteration an 'official' one among the readers.
BTW, sometimes his russian is really terrible, his phrases make no sense at all, like in a phrase "Ubit, bolche za vopros" (kill, bigger what question) - maybe he meant "Ubit, chto za vopros"(Of course kill, not a question")

I am all eager waiting for that Mad Dog Maid Girl... How will they depict her in the anime? Anyone knows, who's gonna be her seiyu?

Tags
action, crime, seinen