AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-04, 22:21   Link #921
htsuji

I've watched a funsubbed version of episode 18 made by a certain funsub group and found a strange translation.
What Nagisa said after she ran away is "Gomen nasai. Dame nan desune, Watashi ja", which means "I'm sorry. (Your action means) I'm useless, right?" She asked for confirmation there. I think the phrase doesn't mean "I'm sorry. In the end. I cannot do it" (this is the translation I found) under any context. Grammatically speaking, the latter part of the phrase is an inverted sentence which is a bit difficult form. (The normal order is "Watashi ja dame nandesune?") Maybe the translators tried their best. But I wonder why they inserted the words "in the end" that didn't exist in the original and removed the question tag "ne". The translation is equivalent to "Watashi ha kekkyoku damedesu." That sounds an admission. I'm afraid the line was completely changed.
Since English is my second language, I'm not sure I'm right. Then here is my question. Can the translation, which seems to me to be just an apology for her runnning away, convey her despair to the audience?
htsuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 23:51   Link #922
Rin-Sama
Banned

"ne" in Japanese has 2 meanings. it means "right/correct" and is also sometimes (but not often) used as "why?"

Im no Japanese expert but most of the time translating Japanese into English is more art than science. sometimes there isn't an English equivalant to Japanese phrases and so translators have to improvise the best they can. hense forth sometimes there is a bad dubbed/subbed phrase.
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 04:33   Link #923
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
"ne" in Japanese has 2 meanings. it means "right/correct" and is also sometimes (but not often) used as "why?"

Im no Japanese expert but most of the time translating Japanese into English is more art than science. sometimes there isn't an English equivalant to Japanese phrases and so translators have to improvise the best they can. hense forth sometimes there is a bad dubbed/subbed phrase.
Actually "ne" has several uses. One common use I see is something like the expresssion "Hey" when getting someone's attention. eg "Ano ne" is sometimes used to initiate a conversation (something along the lines of "You know what?" or "Hey listen here...").
Old 2006-08-05, 07:53   Link #924
Sunsh
a.k.a Arsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Well, here we only have the crushed low-self-esteem girl Nagisa. There's nothing she'd have to apologize to Tamao for.
I mean, Nagisa's apologize that time was more to Shizuma, not to Tamao. But she was too scared to say it in front of Shizuma and poured it all out to Tamao.

Imagine that you can't stand beside your beloved one when she need you because of your own feeling that you keep for her. And when she break down, you can't comfort her. You ran away from her.
Nagisa, in this position, probably felt very guilty. I think this was what that made Nagisa's apologize so painful. And emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsuji
As for Shizuma, I'm not sure whether she thinks Nasisa is just a replacement for Kaori. But, I have a feeling that she doesn't deeply care who Nagisa is, at least so far. She was (or acted like she was) a woman chaser before Nagisa came to the school. According to the rumor Tamao referred to at the last one minute of episode 2, when Shizuma had a new girlfriend, their relationship wouldn't last more than a month. Also, Miyuki repeatedly warned Shizuma in the earlier episodes that her act could hurt Nagisa. Nagisa is not the first girl chosen to be her new girlfriend after Kaori's death.

It is true that Shizuma has become more serious than she used to be and Nagisa is now something more special for her than the others. But, what she planned to do in episode 17 and 18, which turned into failure, seemed to come mainly from her desire to be freed from the past, not from her love for Nagisa. Of course this is just my personal interpretation and I wouldn't like to blame Shizuma. She has her own reason. I feel sorry for both of them.
So Shizuma just 'used' Nagisa to be freed from her past?
I think it's the opposite. Shizuma wanted to be freed from her past because now Nagisa comes and bring colours to her world.

In my opinion, Shizuma is feeling uneasy because now, she has two people that she care the most in her heart, Kaori and Nagisa. Kaori has already passed away, and now Nagisa is there for her. And because of her feelings to Nagisa, Shizuma wanted to confess everything so she can be relieved from the pain of Kaori's death.
(Like : "OK Kaori, I've told all about you to my new beloved one, Nagisa. Now rest in peace in heaven. I'll live my life and be happy for you too.")

But she failed.

Shizuma may gave the Mansion key to Nagisa, but Kaori still keep the key to Shizuma's heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsuji
Can the translation, which seems to me to be just an apology for her runnning away, convey her despair to the audience?
Isn't the phrase "I'm useless, right?" also shows Nagisa's despair to us and Shizuma? I think both Serin's and your phrase match this scene pretty well.

Spoiler for Episode 19. (WTH?!):

And Strawberry Panic Drama CD Summary. Credit to akayuuki
Spoiler for Strawberry Panic Drama CD, Miator Compilation:

*LOL* Track 3 prooved the Ichigo-sha rule about underwears XD
Sunsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 10:34   Link #925
htsuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh
Isn't the phrase "I'm useless, right?" also shows Nagisa's despair to us and Shizuma? I think both Serin's and your phrase match this scene pretty well.
I'm not sure if my translation is good. All I can say is that the question tag is very important. (I don't mean all question tags are always important. Many of them are easily ignorable.) While "Dame nandesu" is a simple admission ("I cannot do it", "I'm useless", etc.), "Dame nandesune" is basically a question that can mean "I'm useless, right?", "You think I cannot do it, don't you?", etc. And the expected answer to this kind of question is usually "yes". Nagisa didn't hear the answer. But she already knew Shizuma couldn't deny. She asked the question to make sure it.

Anyway, I don't want to nitpik. If that part of the funsub translation I referred to works well, I have no reason to continue this topic. Thank you for your answer.

Oh! And I have to add another important thing here. I'm sure Serin's translations are usually ok.

Last edited by htsuji; 2006-08-05 at 22:18.
htsuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 21:16   Link #926
Cyz
"Show it to me"

i think miyuki will give shizuma another lecture
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 21:27   Link #927
Rin-Sama
Banned

Quote:
Ok 1st pic HOT DAMN!!!

2nd pic.....oooooook. intesting way to take a shower....
Old 2006-08-05, 21:35   Link #928
Cyz
"Show it to me"

i need more details on the first one
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-08-06, 07:10   Link #929
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
The Synopsis doesn't tell me anything tho..

Oh and, damn, I like that 2nd pic - Miyuki~ is totally my moe.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 15:40   Link #930
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer

I think the reason why Shizuma kept imagining Kaori when looking at Nagisa is not because she sees Nagisa as a replacement. I think it is more of a reminder to Shizuma of the love she had and lost, and the potential for new love to form. It's about her letting go of her past more than about finding a replacement.

She sees the potential love in Nagisa and all her memories of her past love comes flashing back at her; therefore, she broke down, cried, and called out Kaori's name in emotional remembrance.
Old 2006-08-07, 21:28   Link #931
Rin-Sama
Banned

Either that or it's becasue Nagisa looks alot like Kaori.
Old 2006-08-08, 01:45   Link #932
Omniscient

Episode 19 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-08, 05:00   Link #933
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Spoiler:

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2006-08-08 at 05:23.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 05:50   Link #934
sei

Spoiler:
sei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 07:31   Link #935
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Kaori looks so cute.
Old 2006-08-08, 12:50   Link #936
ginseng

I liked the 19th episode for finally lifting the veil on this 'dark and mysterious past' ...
Spoiler:

About the Drama CD, I read the summary earlier and realized I have to get it. Has anyone done a detailed line-by-line translation of it? I had nothing better to do so I tested the intro portion before Nagisa announces the title...

Spoiler:

I'm not very confident I can pull off a big project like this, so I'd rather not continue this if someone else has already started to work on it.
ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 13:42   Link #937
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Spoiler:
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 15:36   Link #938
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Yuri is definitely strong on 19. See that under the tree scene?
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-08-08, 15:45   Link #939
niwasatou
mind the gap