AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-09-13, 08:59   Link #1421
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but apparently Seven Seas has licensed the Strawberry Panic novel series for release in the US.
Very good news - at least this way i know i can carry on my Strawberry Panic fix.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 09:04   Link #1422
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: スキマの向こう
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but apparently Seven Seas has licensed the Strawberry Panic novel series for release in the US.
Doesn't matter for me. Ah well, I'll just have my fun with the Marimite Novels..
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 13:15   Link #1423
chrno
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Age: 44
Send a message via AIM to chrno
Talking

First time posting here, but not to the whole board. I have to say that I really like this series. I'm not really into many shows revolving around "shoujo-ai" or just "shoujo" in general. I have no problem with the "genre" I'm just not a huge fan of genre. But every now and then some of these show do grab my interest. Like 'Kannaduki no Miko'. Now that was fun.

But I guess I got turned onto the show due to 'Random Curiosity's blog, about "softcore yuri porn". Hahahaha!!! And while the animation style doesn't really match the manga that much, (I could be wrong) it could very well be the reason why I got drawn to the show. After finally diving in I couldn't stop watching. The characters are really well developed. While I enjoy all the main characters, I'd have to say my favorites for this show are 'Tamao', 'Chikaru' and 'Kagome'. Because I find them uniquely unusual. Now if I can finish up this show I could start 'Simoun' at some point.

Looking forward to seeing ep. 24.
__________________
Currently watching - 'Kill la Kill'

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 15:32   Link #1424
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but apparently Seven Seas has licensed the Strawberry Panic novel series for release in the US.
Well Yay Of course I'll be getting them

Seinen yuri light novels FTW

Ahh, the second volume of the seinen manga Strawberry Panic! will be out soon, I'll post its cover when its available
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 17:24   Link #1425
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
Aside from the fact that I disagree with her opinion that Tamao/Nagisa is somehow a better choice than Shizuma/Nagisa just because Tamao has invested herself in Nagisa, I think Kuro is well spoken and has explained her position well, if somewhat repetitively. I apologize for being unnecessarily combative, though.

Here is my issue. A plot has to follow a logical progression, and from day one, that logical progression has lead to Shizuma/Nagisa. Now, you are free to dislike that pairing until the cows come home, however, Tamao/Nagisa was never an option, especially if the series wanted to comform to basic standards. Sometimes the plot has to do what makes sense and what it builds towards, not what you might want.

It's the same principle in harem series. Yeah, you might like it if your favorite girl won the loser in the end because you think she deserves to be happy, but often that is not what would serve the story's best interest. I think a lot of people have trouble with that concept.
OK first let me say that i understand where your coming from and yes we can all get a little heated about the issues were trying to get across. at least you have something to say and not just mindless crap. I am a ShizumaXNagisa fan for 2 reasons one it has been thrown in our face since day 1 and 2 i like how Shizuma brings conflcit to the show. I by no means think this is a work of art as a matter a fact i will say its written very badly. I also agree that a NagisaXTamao ending wa very unlikely my fear was they were going to come up with some crap to throw them together in the end. The Some people dont understand the progression of a story like this or Harem series either. There is a stigma to these genres and that dont change much because obviously they work if they didnt we wouldnt be talking about and the studio wouldnt make money. The logical progression of the story has lead to Shizuma and Nagisa there is no doubt about that. But i think people latch on to charcters who they can identify with and when that charcter does not get what the watcher wants they take it as a personal attack. Whats best for the story is not always what we think is best for the story that just how it goes. You Kuro both has many valid points i agree with both of you on so many of the issues of this show. I will admit i didnt expect to see that you guys a discussion that lasted that long i wish i had been home when you guys were.

Here are my opinions on how things should have gone in SP or how to make it better. Keep in mind guys this is just my opinion that i have gathered together.

1.Nagisa should have started at the school a semester earlier. This would have given writers 2 semesters in the story to do proper charcter development on her, the rest of the charcters and her relationship with Shizuma and Tamao, cause then you have established realtionships to work with not something thats rushed. Basically brake the series up into 2 season like School Rumble.

2.Get rid of reduce the roles of those charcters that done add to progression of the story. or if your going to keep them give them better charcter development and show the audience what they bring to the story.

3.Give someone the good minor charcters more screen time the girls ar La Rim really didnt have any screen time and they were so fun to watch i love Chikaru her personality and charcter were wonderful. But again no charcter development for her.

4.The switching between schools in random episodes were horrible its was like opps we forgot abotu Spica lets do a quick episode about them. This could be solved by easing into each school from the pervious episodes all the girl interact with one another its not that hard to make it flow.

5.For the love of god give your charcters a purpose and personality (Hikari) need i say more

6.Another change i would make is more interaction between the girls of the 3 schools this solves 2 problems.
A. More interaction means more charcter development to help the auidence get to know more about the charcter effectivly keeping that charcter from having no personality
B Seems more natural given the fact they are all on one campus.


7 I think it would have been a good idea to add scenes with main charcters off campus sometimes. You really only get that school feeling when they dont do anything or go anwhere. How would these girl act in they were out on the town shopping or going to a movie. Something to show that they are human. There was really only one episode like that it was the beach one but it was still a school trip. I want to see them in a normal environment. Hell even in bootcamp you get leave it seems like these girls are locked away from the rest of the world.

and no i still wouldnt add men to the story that would ruin everything
those are just my thoughts feel free to argue or agree but i think those basics would have made the series better if not mroe tolrable. Sorry about the long post
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 07:26   Link #1426
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: スキマの向こう
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
....(long
8.: Give Miyuki some love.

niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 13:05   Link #1427
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou
8.: Give Miyuki some love.

Sorry about that i thought about it this morning that i forgot what i would change about Miyuki. I would go into her past more it obvious that she changed from the time she entered school to the Miyuki we know today. Also i would provide more information about her and Shizuma's past and also a little info about her engagement
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 14:41   Link #1428
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Just one little remark:

It's hard for me to remember a show which had so many people complain and whine about it, yet at the same time come back for more, discussing it over and over again. ^_^

As a little thought, a translated remark from a famous German critic of literature: "A good book is a book which doesn't bore me."

Indeed.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 15:28   Link #1429
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
As a little thought, a translated remark from a famous German critic of literature: "A good book is a book which doesn't bore me."
Unfortunately for the Strawberry Panic anime, it was so boring that I ended up skipping from episode four to episode eighteen. And I've once again dropped it.

So, yes, I would say your quotation fits this series like a glove.

(Also it's interesting to note that Simoun, which is much more unpopular on both sides of the Pacific, despite its amazing quality, has more than a 200 post lead in "discussion")
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 16:30   Link #1430
Kuro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Just one little remark:

It's hard for me to remember a show which had so many people complain and whine about it, yet at the same time come back for more, discussing it over and over again. ^_^

As a little thought, a translated remark from a famous German critic of literature: "A good book is a book which doesn't bore me."

Indeed.
I would've thought Kimi ga Nozumu Eien, Gundam Seed Destiny (I haven't seen this yet, but I heard it really dropped the ball), Shuffle and quite a few other series generated complaint, but people still watched it.

Strawberry Panic, IMO, started out pretty strong. Then it just got crappier and crappier. In fact, up until recently, I honestly though there was going to be some redemption for the crappiness that's been happening. I was wrong. =(
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 16:34   Link #1431
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
So you're getting into this kind of fight - erhm excuse me, intense discussion - with more than half of the show completely unknown to you? Right after you dropped it?

*lol*

Well, suit yourself.

And no, I wouldn't argue that SP is a particularly good show or anything, it has more than its share of flaws. Nevertheless, it succeeded in keeping my interest more easily than several shows which would probably be rated "better".
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 16:41   Link #1432
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro
I would've thought Kimi ga Nozumu Eien, Gundam Seed Destiny (I haven't seen this yet, but I heard it really dropped the ball), Shuffle and quite a few other series generated complaint, but people still watched it.
Yes. I can't comment on GSD either, but Shuffle was a very solid and KimiNozo a downright brilliant show which generated dissent because viewers developed some strong attachments and demanded the show to go into the directions they preferred - but didn't get it. I think StoPani is currently suffering from the same syndrome, with strong fans feeling intense disappointment because they dislike the direction the show is taking.

Quote:
Strawberry Panic, IMO, started out pretty strong. Then it just got crappier and crappier. In fact, up until recently, I honestly though there was going to be some redemption for the crappiness that's been happening. I was wrong. =(
Well, more power to you, but I opt to disagree. StoPani started out very mediocre in the initial chapters during the character introduction. It picked up in the middle, especially with the Miator and Spica triangles. I didn't care for the Spica resolution too much, because Hikari and Amane are way too bland and nondescript for my tastes, and the interesting Yaya got shut out cold. The Miator triangle fared much better and continued to keep my interest till now (mostly due to Shizuma and Tamao). Episode 24 was certainly a low point, but I see no "crappiness". All IMHO of course.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 17:17   Link #1433
Kuro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Yes. I can't comment on GSD either, but Shuffle was a very solid and KimiNozo a downright brilliant show which generated dissent because viewers developed some strong attachments and demanded the show to go into the directions they preferred - but didn't get it. I think StoPani is currently suffering from the same syndrome, with strong fans feeling intense disappointment because they dislike the direction the show is taking.
I don't think that's it. The thing w/KGNE is, while a lot of people hated a certain character and/or supported another, there were other people who genuinely hated the show for it's entirety such as underdevelopment, illogical behavior, poor pacing, out of place "humour" and crappy characters. Among other things. I think Strawberry Panic is suffering from that syndrome. It's just poorly written, and that's really the jist of it.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 21:02   Link #1434
Cyz
"Show it to me"
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In solitude, where we are least alone
The more I'm trying to look at Shizuma, the more I get the feeling that she's trying not to get too attach to dear Nagisa. Is she still carrying a guilt of hurting Nagisa's feelings? Or is she just playing hooky?
__________________
~~ Project Cyz ~~
"There is no spoon"
~~~~~
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 21:07   Link #1435
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
The more I'm trying to look at Shizuma, the more I get the feeling that she's trying not to get too attach to dear Nagisa. Is she still carrying a guilt of hurting Nagisa's feelings? Or is she just playing hooky?
Nope i think you hit the mark i am also getting that feeling after watching the ep 24. But the more she fights it the stronger her feeling will become one could say that you cant fate. Even with Tamao and Nagisa being as close as they are now for the selection i still dont pick up any romatic feeling from Nagisa towards her.

Did anyone else notice the flower that Shizuma kept watering? I think that flower repersents her and Nagisa. any thoughts?
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 21:09   Link #1436
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
So you're getting into this kind of fight - erhm excuse me, intense discussion - with more than half of the show completely unknown to you? Right after you dropped it?
Completely unknown? Not at all. I was kept updated on the show by people that did like it enough to watch it--though they have no illusions about its quailty--and I supplemented that with skimming a synopsis here and there when I was bored.

Seemed to have worked pretty well, as no one has ever accused me of not watching the show when I discuss it. The fact that basically nothing of major import happens before episode 18 certain helps with that.

In any case SP = dull as dirt and as fast paced as molasses in a snowstorm. If I can skip over half the series and still get involved in long winded arguments about plot points, that certainly doesn't point to SP being a well written or plotted series.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 00:04   Link #1437
Swann
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
It really is starting look as if the next Etolie is/are Shizuma and Nagisa. I suppose Tamao will be the one to step down. After all, it’s the only way for her to stay in character. In almost every episode they made a point of clearly showing us Tamao observing Nagisa's love for Shizuma. It's no secret to her. If she were to ignore this and selfishly go against Nagisa's heart she wouldn't be the selfless Tamao which many of you like so much. Catch-22 for her but that shouldn’t be a surprise.

I agree though that they are milking this series a little too much. They should have made Tomao a little more comic like she is in the manga. And there is no need to rush the ending like this. Better to do less well than leave us with an unfulfilling conclusion.

(I expect some quality ShizumaXNagisa time in the last episode as payment for suffering induced by being a staunch fan of those two.)
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 00:59   Link #1438
htsuji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I wonder why someone who doesn't watch the show can barefacedly pretend to be an all-knowing critics, saying, "I don't watch the show. All I can do is to recite someone else's rumour which I have chosen on purpose." It seems very strange to me.
htsuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:02   Link #1439
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro
I don't think that's it. The thing w/KGNE is, while a lot of people hated a certain character and/or supported another, there were other people who genuinely hated the show for it's entirety such as underdevelopment, illogical behavior, poor pacing, out of place "humour" and crappy characters. Among other things. I think Strawberry Panic is suffering from that syndrome. It's just poorly written, and that's really the jist of it.
*shrug*

Lots of flashy disswords without a trace of justification. Especially in conjunction with KGNE, which I consider particularly excellent in the case of character building and logical, gradual development. And when it came to pacing, if you skim the usual review sites, the lack of drama or impact was not among the common criticisms. Again, more power to you, but after reading your verdict on KGNE, I can't help myself but to realize that your taste in anime is even more alien to me than before.

So what remains to me to chuckle at (excuse me) this heated and extremely long exchange between two people of which both seem to thoroughly dislike the show, and out of which one hasn't even really watched it. Wow

In the meantime, there's the exit, girls. Why don't you go watch something "good" instead?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:08   Link #1440
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsuji
I wonder why someone who doesn't watch the show can barefacedly pretend to be an all-knowing critics, saying, "I don't watch the show. All I can do is to recite someone else's rumour which I have chosen on purpose." It seems very strange to me.
How can I? Simple, the majority of characters never progress, and I knew about the major plot points from reading the manga. Nagisa of episode one is absolutely no different from Nagisa of episode twenty-four. Any generalizations I make about the characters from watching watching ten episodes will hold for the entire series. Any major going-ons in the series usually take only a sentence or two to express. ("Oh no! Someone tried to rape Hikari again!" or "Shizuma and Nagisa ALMOST kissed for the thirtieth time this episode!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Why don't you go watch something "good" instead?
No need to concern yourself on my account, I'm well ahead of you.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, romance, seinen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.