AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-21, 02:29   Link #1901
Lawton_Anime
graphic designer @ gj.com
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lawton
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Lawton_Anime
Question I hope ya don't mind me asking ya about such an old topic ^_^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus42 View Post
It is "Utawarerumono 2nd Ending Theme", and it's track number 12 on this cd. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KICA-1400
Recently I got into Strawberry Panic (am kinda behind on many shows), and I watched the final episode, number 26, and the last song in there during the Etoile ceremony with the class presidents walking toward Amane-san and Hikari-san on the stage in the church, is that that very song? Once again please excuse the lateness of this question ^_^; However, if it is that song I am buying that CD rather quickly.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=58636&dateline=117844  4330
Lawton_Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 09:02   Link #1902
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Quote:
Sure the plot devices are different, since they're different shows and all but the overall themes are pretty much the same. The main difference is how they deal with the relationships
How the heck is SP slice of life. What's more, how the hell is Maria sama a slice of life show. Moreover, despite their settings being similar (which you could say about loads of series anyway. For all practical purposes you can toss Azumanga Daioh there) their dynamics are completely different. Maria Sama ga Miteru is practically a 100% character interrelationship driven show, with a strong focus on the "growing up" and "forming bonds" theme. SP on the other hand is much more plot driven, with a strong focus on the central theme (yuri) a much lighter and fanservice oriented take on the girlxgirl mechanics (despite all the melodrama). Really, their similarities are merely superficial, and only concerning the overall setting.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 03:14   Link #1903
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
How the heck is SP slice of life. What's more, how the hell is Maria sama a slice of life show. Moreover, despite their settings being similar (which you could say about loads of series anyway. For all practical purposes you can toss Azumanga Daioh there) their dynamics are completely different. Maria Sama ga Miteru is practically a 100% character interrelationship driven show, with a strong focus on the "growing up" and "forming bonds" theme. SP on the other hand is much more plot driven, with a strong focus on the central theme (yuri) a much lighter and fanservice oriented take on the girlxgirl mechanics (despite all the melodrama). Really, their similarities are merely superficial, and only concerning the overall setting.
Well slice of life is pretty much a dead metaphor so arguing what it really is borders on pointless. What I meant by my statement was that we're looking at the events of the characters lives while they go about their business, i.e. literally a slice of their lives. There isn't really a plot to either show so I don't see how you can call Strawberry Panic plot driven. There are certainly sub plots, which both shows have, but no overall plot. Something like Simoun would be an example of a plot driven yuri themed show.

As far as the differences between the relationships, with SP being more romantic and Marimite being more friendship, I believe I stated that they were different so you'll get no argument from me there. Take the romance out of SP and it starts to look a lot more like Marimite, conversely toss some romance into Marimite and it starts to look a lot more like SP.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 04:08   Link #1904
Omfgbbqwtf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UC San Diego
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton_Anime View Post
Recently I got into Strawberry Panic (am kinda behind on many shows), and I watched the final episode, number 26, and the last song in there during the Etoile ceremony with the class presidents walking toward Amane-san and Hikari-san on the stage in the church, is that that very song? Once again please excuse the lateness of this question ^_^; However, if it is that song I am buying that CD rather quickly.
hm.. the 2nd ed of Utawarerumono? NOPE. The song that was played during the Etoile ceremony is just another version of the Strawberry Panic's first OP.

I havn't watch Strawberry Panic for a long time, but... I think this is the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOI0v...eature=related
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 06:09   Link #1905
Fweakin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
There isn't really a plot to either show so I don't see how you can call Strawberry Panic plot driven. There are certainly sub plots, which both shows have, but no overall plot. Something like Simoun would be an example of a plot driven yuri themed show.

As far as the differences between the relationships, with SP being more romantic and Marimite being more friendship, I believe I stated that they were different so you'll get no argument from me there. Take the romance out of SP and it starts to look a lot more like Marimite, conversely toss some romance into Marimite and it starts to look a lot more like SP.
Thats interesting. I see Simoun as primarily being a more character driven story and SP being verrrrrrrry plot driven. I figure any show that features transient amnesia is a plot (device) driven show.

And setting + high school girls does not a similar anime make
__________________
'Tis all a Chequer-board of Nights and Days
Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays:
Hither and thither moves, and mates, and slays,
And one by one back in the Closet lays.
--Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 11:47   Link #1906
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
Thats interesting. I see Simoun as primarily being a more character driven story and SP being verrrrrrrry plot driven. I figure any show that features transient amnesia is a plot (device) driven show.

And setting + high school girls does not a similar anime make
Well in the simplest terms...
Character driven story = The characters actions move the story forward.
Plot driven story = The plot moves the story forward.

With Simoun there's the whole war being a constant driving force throughout the whole show, it's literally pushing the characters around.

On the other hand we have a girl going to new school, which happens to be all girl. Girl meets a bunch of new people. Character interactions ensue. Am I talking about SP or Marimite ?
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 13:55   Link #1907
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Quote:
On the other hand we have a girl going to new school, which happens to be all girl. Girl meets a bunch of new people. Character interactions ensue. Am I talking about SP or Marimite ?
Strawberry Panic, since Yumi had been going to Lilian since elementary school

Still, I'd argue that Simoun is not a plot centered series, but a character centered one. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is plot centered, Utawarerumono is plot centered. All the the character actions and decisions revolve around what the plot needs in those cases. However, in the case of Marimite and Simoun the plot is just a background for us to see the evolution of the characters, influenced by the plot. It's the subtle line between having a plot and characters fighting around this central theme, and having characters evolving and growing because of the plot.

Likewise, while I agree that Strawberry Panic is nowhere as plot centered as those two examples i mentioned, it is equally not as character centered as Marimite. In Strawberry Panic, there is a very strong and unique central theme, and the characters actions revolve around that. Marimite, although in a smaller scale also has this theme centered issue. However it is greatly diluted by the fact Marimite has a greater variety of central themes (friendship, belonging, improving ourselves (Yoshino's themes) accepting ourselves (Shimako's), asserting what we want against society (Sei's, Eriko's), communication and making our feelings reach (Yumi's, Sachikos and Touko's)). True, if you added romance to the WHOLE mix it would seem like Marimite is SB Panic clone basis, however it is because the romance isn't there that they are different.

Again, I totally agree with you that the setting is practically the same, they share a lot of common genre's and themes, and overall it would seem that SB is Marimite Light. However, IMHO it is the differences what makes them both shine in their respective areas, and not their similarities, and therefore those are the points that should be emphasized when describing the series.

PS: On a second read I was a little agresive in that first post of mine. I apologize for the tone.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 02:36   Link #1908
Lawton_Anime
graphic designer @ gj.com
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lawton
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Lawton_Anime
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omfgbbqwtf View Post
hm.. the 2nd ed of Utawarerumono? NOPE. The song that was played during the Etoile ceremony is just another version of the Strawberry Panic's first OP.

I havn't watch Strawberry Panic for a long time, but... I think this is the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOI0v...eature=related
oh yes that is it ^_^ thank you very much, see I never could tell if it was a remix version or just a whole nother song, now I must go find it for buy somewhere out there, may be one of the singles... :P
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=58636&dateline=117844  4330
Lawton_Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 21:00   Link #1909
fuzzles
anal retentive
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New york
Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
just finished it and i am unbelievably pissed over how they screwed over the nicest character in the whole entire show so not fiar!! poor tamao-chan
__________________
The loudest noise in the world is the sound of people whining. Donít add to it. (of course i'm a chronic offender)
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 16:03   Link #1910
bubbleum
~ Lilium ~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astraea Hill
Age: 25
Sorry for the late response, had a busy week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
I'm not sure whether we were watching the same shows
Oh, believe me, we were ... several times in my case. I would never go that far, comparing SP with something so vulgar like a soap opera (stupid/dumb/annoying/boring/dull/etc "characters", cheesy lines in every second sentence, the lack of something happening - hardly can say "plot"), because such comparison is NOT possible at all. Well, yeah, the amnesia thingy was silly, but just for that to conclude SP was soap opera... Even if it is, it's the very first of its kind
By fan-service you mean the 10-15sec in a few episodes, right?
You don't need to convince me in anything, by "raunchy" I meant "dirty". Doh, Shizuma is the most lustful character I've ever seen, that's why we love her though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
And I'd just like to say, whenever I rewatch the SP anime, it makes me wish that it had the same level of detail in the artwork as the manga did
Haven't read the manga (have it on the pc, but want to buy it, so I'm currently waiting for the english release), but I don't really think that the anime artwork was bad or anything. It wasn't something special overall, but some of the scenes were very beautifuly drawn in detail.


There is something I couldn't understand, Zippicus: First you said that "SP is pretty much a raunchier version of Marimite"(hurts a lot seeing again this untrue accusation, guess I'm a masochist) and now "they're different shows"? Which is going to be?
And what exactly do you mean by "overall themes"? Be more specific. There are so many differences, have no idea how you concluded the main one was only about the relationships.
Dunno, comparing two shows by only several criteria and then concluding they were the same...even when these criteria can be applied to countless other shows...Doesn't sound serious, does it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
1. Protagonist - High school girl
High school girl/boy/hermaphrodite, doesn't matter - we should increase the list with animes we're comparing, quite a long list it'll be if you ask me. But that's why there's an anime category called "School anime" I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
2. Setting - All girl school
Same thing... All girl/boy/normal, this isn't essential at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
3. Plot - Slice of life look at them as they deal with relationships with other characters, student council business, school plays, vacations, etc.
Give me a school anime in which there isn't a "student council business, school plays, vacations". And I believe in every anime there's a way they deal with relationships between the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
There isn't really a plot to either show so I don't see how you can call Strawberry Panic plot driven. There are certainly sub plots, which both shows have, but no overall plot.
Huh? You just can't stop to amaze me How can you say an anime does not have a plot??? Even Excel Saga had a plot, there was nothing reasonable in it, but it still had a plot (arguably though)...
I don't see what this fuss about SP being character or plot driven story is really about, there were times when the character's actions moved the story and there were times when the plot did that. My point - this isn't so significant.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
Take the romance out of SP and it starts to look a lot more like Marimite, conversely toss some romance into Marimite and it starts to look a lot more like SP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
True, if you added romance to the WHOLE mix it would seem like Marimite is SB Panic clone basis, however it is because the romance isn't there that they are different.
Hah, a lot of tossing going on here But if you guys/gals really want to make them identical that bad, you will need something much more than just romance J/K

However, I think it's obvious that only romance won't do, you'll need to change almost everytihng if you really want them to be the same- characters (lustful Sachiko ??? Yeah, right...), relationships, plot. The idea isn't bad though - a more romantic Marimite sounds really nice, but I doubt it they'll pull out such a magnificent heartbreaking melodrama like in Strawberry Panic *Bow*
bubbleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 18:02   Link #1911
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
I was talking about the overall tone, not the specifics. Just saying that SB would be like Marimite light *if* Marimite had romance, but just as a general idea, and not by any means the central point of my argument
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 08:45   Link #1912
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleum View Post
There is something I couldn't understand, Zippicus: First you said that "SP is pretty much a raunchier version of Marimite"(hurts a lot seeing again this untrue accusation, guess I'm a masochist) and now "they're different shows"? Which is going to be?
And what exactly do you mean by "overall themes"? Be more specific. There are so many differences, have no idea how you concluded the main one was only about the relationships.
Dunno, comparing two shows by only several criteria and then concluding they were the same...even when these criteria can be applied to countless other shows...Doesn't sound serious, does it?
Ok the best way I can describe similar yet different is comparing something like Coke and Pepsi. They're both cola, they're both dark in color, and they're pretty much interchangeable in restaurants. They're basically the same thing, yet obviously different. I can drink either since they're so similar. Some people hate Coke, some people hate Pepsi and see a huge difference between the two, I guess it's all a matter of taste.

The main theme of both shows is the various intimate relationships between the main characters. A lesser theme would be the Catholic undertones in both series, though it's much more emphasized in Marimite. The main different themes would be the star symbolism in SP compared to the Flower symbolism in Marimite.

If you noticed any other themes feel free to list them since I must have missed them.

Quote:
Huh? You just can't stop to amaze me How can you say an anime does not have a plot??? Even Excel Saga had a plot, there was nothing reasonable in it, but it still had a plot (arguably though)...
I don't see what this fuss about SP being character or plot driven story is really about, there were times when the character's actions moved the story and there were times when the plot did that. My point - this isn't so significant.
That's a bit out of context to what I was talking to someone else about. We were talking about character driven vs plot driven stories. Neither SP nor Marimite have enough of a plot to be considered plot driven. The plot devices used in both stories are really just there to showcase the relationships between various girls rather than to tell any big story.

Quote:
Hah, a lot of tossing going on here But if you guys/gals really want to make them identical that bad, you will need something much more than just romance J/K

However, I think it's obvious that only romance won't do, you'll need to change almost everytihng if you really want them to be the same- characters (lustful Sachiko ??? Yeah, right...), relationships, plot. The idea isn't bad though - a more romantic Marimite sounds really nice, but I doubt it they'll pull out such a magnificent heartbreaking melodrama like in Strawberry Panic *Bow*
I wasn't really trying to make them identical, I was just pointing out that the main difference between the shows is the level of intimacy. I'm not trying to say Nagisa = Yumi or Sachiko = Shizuma, they're clearly different characters. The focus of SP is the Nagisa x Shizuma relationship just like the focus of Marimite is the Yumi x Sachiko relationship, just different levels of intimacy. There are plenty of other parings going around in both shows too, some more prominent than others, which is really what both shows are all about.

And to clarify, when I said SP is pretty much a raunchier version of Marimite, what I meant was that in Marimite everything is pretty much implied where in SP it's straight up shown. And I don't think that's a bad thing, like I said before I like both shows.

Last edited by Zippicus; 2007-11-26 at 08:47. Reason: cleanup
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 12:52   Link #1913
bubbleum
~ Lilium ~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astraea Hill
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
I was talking about the overall tone, not the specifics...
Never did I say you made it a central point. I only implied that we shouldn't focus the discussion on whether SP is plot or character driven, because that just isn't so essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
That's a bit out of context to what I was talking to someone else about... The plot devices used in both stories are really just there to showcase the relationships between various girls rather than to tell any big story.
Thought for a second that you meant there wasn't a plot at all back there, when you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
There isn't really a plot to either show so I don't see how you can call Strawberry Panic plot driven. There are certainly sub plots, which both shows have, but no overall plot.
a few posts back.
Looks like I misunderstood you then, my bad!
I don't agree here on one thing though. I'm positive that Kaori Sakuragi's story can't possibly be refered as a "any big story" - exactly here everyone can witness the true meaning of the word "plot". If it wasn't for the plot, for the idea which was born in someone's sorrowful mind, then it wouldn't be possible for the next episodes to take place, much less the astonishing melodrama. The plot didn't play a leading part, but it was there, peeking, but still there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
Ok the best way I can describe similar yet different is comparing something like Coke and Pepsi.
Huh? There was a difference between Coke and Pepsi? Haven't noticed till now... Can't really understand the people who see that much of a difference between the two. Yeah, truly, there's a difference (obviously), but I find the taste the same. "I guess it's all a matter of taste." - finally can freely say I agree with you .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
The main theme of both shows is the various intimate relationships between the main characters. A lesser theme would be the Catholic undertones in both series, though it's much more emphasized in Marimite. The main different themes would be the star symbolism in SP compared to the Flower symbolism in Marimite.
I'm not quite sure exactly how intimate were the relationships in Marimite though, but let's say they were. Well, if we are talking about main themes, then you got them (You can't find that much difference in the MAIN themes of romantic media, no matter how hard you try). Find it ridiculous however, when someone (seen a few guys) conclude that the two shows are the same by just the superficial similarity between the petite soeur (hope I spelled it right) system and the room temps in Miator.... How can you conclude the shows are exactly the same, even when the first is a main theme in Marimite and the other is shown in just one episode of SP... Now, that's a mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
I wasn't really trying to make them identical....
And to clarify, when I said SP is pretty much a raunchier version of Marimite, what I meant was that in Marimite everything is pretty much implied where in SP it's straight up shown. And I don't think that's a bad thing, like I said before I like both shows.
I was only joking there, to ease the tension . Don't worry, even if you did, you'd fail, because there isn't a way you can make them the same.
"Version" is not a suitable word then, and personally I don't really think in SP it was " straight up shown", especially the drama - came out of the blue for me. I mean it was obvious something was going to happen, but had no idea what and when. That's why didn't really get the way most of the people here watched it (it's just 40-50 pages back, feel free to check it if you don't believe me ) - they knew already what was going to happen from screenies and reviews. That just spoils everything. It's damn hard to be moved by the drama by just looking at screenshots and then watching the anime making silly remarks "I've already seen that" whenever you see a scene which you saw in a screenshot beforehand (speaking in a general way, don't have anyone in mind) or reading blogs where the whole 25min episode is compressed in two sentences. And even the ending wasn't obvious at all - not till the "I love you" line .
__________________
That story in which happiness was denied...

Last edited by bubbleum; 2007-11-29 at 12:56. Reason: My English teacher...
bubbleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 18:55   Link #1914
zordon
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via MSN to zordon
Hey guys, I found a reason for a second season/ ova , there is material for the OP lol...

http://www.kala8.com/HanRi/MeiXiang/MeiXiang_67768.html

It's called Shojo Meiro De Tsukamaete (Berry’s Maturing Ver).

Enjoy !
__________________
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 02:28   Link #1915
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ~Bleh~
Well I just finished Strawberry Panic and...

Spoiler for For Ending,etc.:


Oh and Kagome and Percival were cute.
__________________
UltimaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 21:21   Link #1916
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaWolf View Post
Oh and Kagome and Percival were cute.
may I add that she's too cute.

also at first I too found it a bit...weird and thought I may not like this but loved every bit of it and thank I decided to look this up just out of sheer boredom

all hail the mind numbing boredom that drives us to seek out a random anime!
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 19:14   Link #1917
Rory Silverstien
Maid Horder
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hiding from Ivy-Chan. She scares me.
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Rory Silverstien Send a message via Yahoo to Rory Silverstien
Well, can't really add any new opinions to those already stated. Tamao, was probably the character that I found the most interesting out of the set, though Yaya was fairly interesting as well. I'll admit, I purposely skipped an episode or two because I found it to drag out. However, overall for what you take it for, yuri, it was a fairly decent.
__________________

Last edited by Rory Silverstien; 2007-12-22 at 19:35.
Rory Silverstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 19:53   Link #1918
Simon
気持ち悪い
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Zealand
R1 release date

According to AOD the first R1 volume is out 2008-03-25. Looks like it'll be the same format as Simoun - sub only, six episodes on the first DVD then five thereafter. Presumably it'll also carry the "Yuri Fan" logo that appeared on Simoun V1.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 20:14   Link #1919
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Internet
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo Send a message via Skype™ to Jinsoo
You know...

I still demand YayaxHikari so I made my own fanart.

Never satisfied with the ending )': I only watched SP for Yaya xD;;;
__________________
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 20:33   Link #1920
Otomefan
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My only argument between Simoun and Strawberry Panic was that I think Simoun had a much harder plot to follow then SP. I found myself getting extremely lost, and questioning how the gender change occurred. SP to me felt like the characters were more well built and easier to sympathize with then the characters of Simoun.
Otomefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, romance, seinen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.