AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-08-17, 10:24   Link #261
seaweb

Akagi

Hmm. I just went through the 26 episodes and was stunned there was no ending, and not really a lead to the "next series." It was like it was cancelled. But nice to see we all have faith in another set of episodes.

Haven't read the manga, but there are several threads I'm looking forward to see play out. Mainly the blood thing. They have led us to assume Akagi is in danger, but his blood volume is only a guess. The numbers are speculation. Also, over the course of the match, he would be rebuilding his blood supply; that has to be a factor in his confidence. Another point is about the drinks he bought to hydrate himself; we've never seen him use them, so did he down them all in the car, and would that give him an edge in the blood loss equation?

I'm amused, too, by "the monster of the Showa," the man who ran Japan from the shadows. In history, that person would be none other than Hirohito. The political tone suggests an apologist for the Emperor's failure with the "co-prosperity sphere" and the Pacific War, pushing the blame off on some omnipotent military figure. The story of the Showa Emperor and HIS game would make a great anime. Of course, the Prime Minister was intervene to suppress it (as he has done with NHK and the "comfort women" program.

Great series, even with the awkward style.
seaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 16:00   Link #262
ssfsx17

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweb View Post
I'm amused, too, by "the monster of the Showa," the man who ran Japan from the shadows. In history, that person would be none other than Hirohito. The political tone suggests an apologist for the Emperor's failure with the "co-prosperity sphere" and the Pacific War, pushing the blame off on some omnipotent military figure. The story of the Showa Emperor and HIS game would make a great anime. Of course, the Prime Minister was intervene to suppress it (as he has done with NHK and the "comfort women" program.
The thing is, Washizu knew that the war could not be won long before it got really heated up. Did Hirohito know that as well?
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 17:41   Link #263
strategos

Will this series is over? or will it have another season?
Is the manga ended?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 14:10   Link #264
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

No, the manga didn't end(still in the Washizu mansion btw), and a second season is not confirmed. However, next week another Fukumoto manga made into anime will be aired. The title is Ultimate Survivor Kaiji , or Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji(the manga title).
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 08:16   Link #265
Schuyler

Just got done watching, was awesome time to read the manga, can't wait for a second season LOL.
Old 2007-09-29, 08:17   Link #266
sangofe

I know, this isn't the place to be advertising but...
I'm starting up a project for the Mahjong anime "Legendary Gambler Tetsuya".
We will be using R2 dvd's as a source. Currently we have a translator, an editor (that doesn't know much Mahjong, meaning he'd need to hit up facts), timer (me), typesetter and encoder.
What we lack:
Editor/qc that know Mahjong. So if you're willing to work on the project, please pm me!
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 14:03   Link #267
strategos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih View Post
No, the manga didn't end(still in the Washizu mansion btw), and a second season is not confirmed. However, next week another Fukumoto manga made into anime will be aired. The title is Ultimate Survivor Kaiji , or Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji(the manga title).

Fukumoto manga?

Old 2007-10-08, 19:04   Link #268
ddraggy
Abnormality

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
Fukumoto manga?
Manga by Fukumoto. Series like Kaiji, Akagi, and Buraiden Gai.
ddraggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 07:27   Link #269
mehdi

I have the raws to the Akagi volumes 17 up to the latest manga. Volume 17 is where the anime ends and finishes the Washizu battle. Is anyone up for the scanlating?
mehdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 14:36   Link #270
strategos

I hear that the match where the anime ends hasnt finish in years, is it true?

Old 2007-11-14, 18:22   Link #271
ginseng

I realize this answer borders on some form of reply necromancy, but I didn't see anyone mention this, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eishu View Post
Also after having seen episode 24 I imagined this as an ending:

Spoiler:

But that was just something I thougt up.
Nice idea, but this is an illegal move called furiten. In Japanese rules (at least the modern Japanese rules), any tile you discard you can't claim for ron anymore for the rest of the hand. You can only tsumo when it comes to any tile you've discarded at an earlier part of the game. There are even further complications to that, involving multiple winning tiles dealt between your turns. Only the first one of them can be claimed for ron. This could happen if you have multiple winning tiles that make the hand a different value, and you skipped over a low-paying winning tile and wanted a higher paying one - both discarded before it's your turn again. After declaring riichi on a tenpai, the furiten rule applies not only to your own discards, but also everyone else's discards from the point you declared riichi onwards.

Breaking this rule causes chombo, which ends the round and involves a penalty of 8000 points (or 12000 points depending on who the dealer is).

It's a rule beginners like me have a lot of trouble with - I'm somewhat surprised this never came up in Akagi. I don't know how many times I've claimed false mahjong...

http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/yaku/yaku.htm

This page gives a much more throughout and technical explanation about furiten.

Of course, even with all these little complications, I like the Japanese version ("Reach Mahjong") the best. Riichi and dora tiles make for a much more exciting game, I find. Because you can get 1 extra fan just for declaring riichi, the hands tend to stay more closed and the wins get bigger. I've also come to understand that the Japanese rules are most favored by gamblers.

Spoiler:

I only wish Akagi manga had furigana in it. I realize it's not a kids manga by a long shot, but they should think of the poor foreigners who get nothing short of a migraine from all the squiggly little characters...

Last edited by ginseng; 2007-11-14 at 21:20.
ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 18:43   Link #272
X207
Gamyūsa

akiagi was an intersting anime, my only annoyance of it was those 11 eps vs washizu, they shouldve had a filler opponent match. i used to play mahjong for fun b4. i once got the 1-9 sets, dragons and 4 winds and won the game. we didnt count points but it was even more amazing/funnier that the person across me wouldve had the same hand (different winnng tile was to be discarded by next person) i hadnt picked up my winning tile.
Old 2008-01-30, 14:50   Link #273
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
I have to say that Akagi taught me a whole lot about Japanese mahjong, and mahjong gameplay in general.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 11:22   Link #274
LifeILL

I actually started watching this series couple of months ago but stopped after 5 episodes because I didn't understand Mah-Jong. I only enjoyed the episodes marginally.

So I went back and learned the rules of Mah-Jong and how to play....holy shit....the enjoyment in Akagi went up significantly. I advise you guys to learn at least the basics....and it will help tremendously. That's how Akagi should be watched, these guys are insane when it comes tricks/cheats.
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 16:12   Link #275
Avisch
Reality Blender

Well I just finished Akagi. I had watched Kaiji before. So I figured I should try Akagi out.
Overall I prefer Kaiji, BUT NOT THAT AKAGI IS BAD IN ANY WAY.

Seriously Fukumoto is a genius. Both series have great themes.

I really liked Kaiji because of it's theme that "Only you can truly affect your life"

Akagi's theme was .....can't be sure. But overall I guess it could be "You have to risk your life to win", but of course this is sort of scene in both works.

I think I prefer Kaiji because the character development is a bit more defined. Akagi himself didn't have to develop, the story was more about showing more of how serious he was about gambling.

Kaiji development also demonstrated his weakness. Particularly in the second arc,
this is shown well:
Spoiler for second arc:

Masato Hagiwara deserves a medal for his brilliant voice work. Being able to demonstrate Akagi's calm nature and Kaiji's frustration.

On the conclusion of both.
Kaiji's ending is both sad but somewhat reassuring (if you think). Kaiji has lost everything worked up to. But now he is filled with new experience and does is tronger than he was

Akagi's ending is just a ending that says that Akagi has become a legend. And then showing that Akagi is alive in the 90's briefly. Sort of saying that he keeps ongoing no matter what he encounters. I sort of wish that they had shown him a bit more in the 90's, perhaps having him seeing a 13 year old kid playing mahjong, and then smiling because he realizes how far he's come.....OK that may have been cliche, but I like things like that.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 16:39   Link #276
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, this great show can't be forgotten!

Also, a random youtube parody video of Akagi and Tetsuya-- what if Akagi was more Malicous?
Spoiler:
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 11:13   Link #277
fukarming

I know the Akagi manga continues when the anime end half way, but I am still unsatisfied about the anime that the opponents against Akagi is just weaker and weaker:

The blind Majong master is strong and cool

The guy in the middle series are while professional, far from the strength of the blind master.

Washizu is just weak, while he is a political big name, he is just a majong amateur. He can beat the other pros simply because he is preying on their fear of losing their life. Akagi did not fear losing his life, he loves gambling when his life is on the line and that's why Washizu is losing.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 15:56   Link #278
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Washizu is just weak, while he is a political big name, he is just a majong amateur. He can beat the other pros simply because he is preying on their fear of losing their life. Akagi did not fear losing his life, he loves gambling when his life is on the line and that's why Washizu is losing.
True, but you know, that's the archetype that Fukumoto Nobuyuki uses. In Akagi, Zero, Washizu and maybe Kaiji (only saw the first season) the true bad guys are the rich guys who are more or less bored of life and only find enjoyment in making people risk their deaths in the hope of a prize...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 21:07   Link #279
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
True, but you know, that's the archetype that Fukumoto Nobuyuki uses. In Akagi, Zero, Washizu and maybe Kaiji (only saw the first season) the true bad guys are the rich guys who are more or less bored of life and only find enjoyment in making people risk their deaths in the hope of a prize...
Actually, Washizu vs Akagi is a bad match up for Washizu. Washizu enjoys seeing his opponents squirming for life. Even if he beats Akagi, I can only imagine Akagi accepts his death calmly, thus taking away Washizu's enjoyment.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 20:28   Link #280
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hah, yea, Washizu isn't really good; he relies mostly on his luck and forsight that got him through life. But he's the type that cannot bow down or concede to anyone.

And that is what Akagi wanted; someone who would do the crazy shit outside the realm of reality.

Or maybe he's just messing around. I found the Urabe game kinda funny, because Akagi didn't give a damn; not his money anyways!
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, mahjong, seinen