AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-06, 01:19   Link #121
ddraggy
Abnormality

Yay, another episode of Akagi!

I'm just a bit confused though...

Spoiler for Episode 12:

~ ddraggy
ddraggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 02:39   Link #122
Nergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddraggy
Yay, another episode of Akagi!

I'm just a bit confused though...

Spoiler for Episode 12:

~ ddraggy
Spoiler for Episode 12:
Nergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 05:55   Link #123
Yttrasil

Awesome episode once again but would have liken an ending since you never know when the new episode will pop up =)

Anyway, Akagi had a single wait for a sou an kou there are two kinds of it when you are in tempai like xxx yyy zzz tt rr and xxx yyy zzz ttt r the difference with them is that on the first one you can only make it by drawing the tile yourself, tsumo and the other one can win when someone deals a tile also and not only tsumo... anyway the thing is akagi had like 333 4 555 which means a 2 and a 6 will make it 234 33 and 555 and a six 333 456 55 which also wins the game so when urabe dealt the 2 he didn't call it since then his hand wouldn't be sou an kou and only mangan or bai man if he gets more lucky tiles. What else is that he now can't win by having anyone deal the tile which anyone of course won't do anyway. So instead of getting a cheap win with a normal hand he waits for the big win.
Yttrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 00:26   Link #124
ddraggy
Abnormality

Thanks for the explanations! Yttrasil, Nergs, you're probably both right

Just rewatched the episode and things are a bit clearer the second time around. Here's another question then: Where's Osamu? Did the kid run off for a bathroom break or something? Maybe the tension was too much and he had to lie down?

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-07-07, 07:32   Link #125
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Osamu's probably resting, I think. 32 million yen (?) is a big sum.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 11:41   Link #126
eris_sama

Just started watching this past weekend and caught up to 13 eps today. This was not what I expected after watching other competition anime like Hikaru No Go, Yakitate, a few eps of Prince of Tennis and Yawara. I love this series although it took me a while to get use to the ugly char designs. It doesn't bother me except in profiles where the chins get weird, lol.

I love the complex strategy and the dark psychology! I know how to play the Chinese version of mahjong (not very well and don't know how to score) which was the originally the reason I was interested in this series. This series definitely deserves more recognition.

32 million yen would be aboout 320 thousand dollars in today's value but in the 1960s it would be worth about 3.2 million!

Last edited by eris_sama; 2006-07-19 at 11:45. Reason: trying to get used to this forum
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 22:31   Link #127
Decel

Really cool series, I love it even though I have no clue as to how to play Mahjong.

Akagi is the polar opposite of Hikaru no Go (The cheating, the yakuza, the profanity, etc) so it's very refreshing.
Old 2006-07-20, 15:48   Link #128
sabret00the

i started this series on episode six and have loved it ever since, it's original and fantastic.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 17:25   Link #129
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Siap, but I found a really good site that teaches the Japanese Mahjong rules. I had no idea what all this Dora, Reachi, etc stuff was, but this site gives a good explanation. I just rewatched ep. 1-7 after reading the site and it made a lot more sense.

Edit: Oops, looks like it was posted once, in the middle of the part of the thread I skipped for spoilers, heh. Anyway, it's a good site to look at.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:01   Link #130
ddraggy
Abnormality

Even though I found ep 13 a bit weak, it's kinda cool that Akagi can plan that far ahead!

And, sukreih, I think I'm starting to consider Akagi a biseinen, too It's gotta be his "cool" factor overtaking his "nose" factor Art-wise, he's the most attractive guy in the series, with Osamu coming in second. Except when he does that full-teeth grin. Then he's clearly killer insane and it's time to run away at speed.

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-07-21, 18:33   Link #131
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:

And, sukreih, I think I'm starting to consider Akagi a biseinen, too It's gotta be his "cool" factor overtaking his "nose" factor Art-wise, he's the most attractive guy in the series, with Osamu coming in second. Except when he does that full-teeth grin. Then he's clearly killer insane and it's time to run away at speed.

~ ddraggy
Welcome to the Akagi Shigeru fangirl/boy zone !
You're rignt,Akagi is THE most attractive guy in Fukumoto-standards.

Episode 13 is merely Akagi explaining the strategies he made for vs.Urabe.Sorta like a 'summary' episode in the series.(there will be one more of that kind of episode coming..) Although I liked how Akagi completely shoots Urabe down from his miseries...not literally.(notice in that scene how Akagi's nose is close to touching Urabe's front teeth..)

Episode 14 is shocking from the start,so expect some awesome things to happen
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 20:06   Link #132
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I think Osamu's the handsomest in the group. I mean, come on ...

But I think I see your point of Akagi being a biseinen.
Old 2006-07-22, 19:09   Link #133
ddraggy
Abnormality

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I think Osamu's the handsomest in the group. I mean, come on ...

But I think I see your point of Akagi being a biseinen.
Pardon me while I turn fangirl. My sincerest apologies!

Hmm, I see Osamu as more cute than handsome. He's like... Akagi's puppy/fanboy. Fluffy, generally useless, but a refreshing break from Akagi's inhumanity. Osamu's a bit like Nangou that way, but with freckles.

Nangou's not half-bad either, btw. It's the muscles Looks aside, he played a similar role as Osamu's; Everyday Normal Guy. Akagi wouldn't be quite as cool without them around to look on in awe/horror.

Akagi... is not "cute", but strangely sexy and sinister. That's a bit strange, since I find the Fake Akagi (does this guy have a name?) somewhat the other way around. Cute, dork, and dresses funny. It's all in the attitude, I guess.

I guess I really am getting used to the chara designs....

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-07-22, 23:26   Link #134
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Akagi... is not "cute", but strangely sexy and sinister. That's a bit strange, since I find the Fake Akagi (does this guy have a name?) somewhat the other way around. Cute, dork, and dresses funny. It's all in the attitude, I guess.

I guess I really am getting used to the chara designs....

~ ddraggy
YEAH You go girl! woot! (teehee)
I hope to see you turn you more fangirl after watching the new ending theme in episode 14.I drooled over it. Akagi is so sexy...

Yep,I too think all's in the attitude.
Notice he doesn't even have a name and everyone,including Akagi calls him 'Fake Akagi'..poor guy.A lot of people would have noticed that his voice is Jin from Samurai Champloo ?
Old 2006-07-22, 23:38   Link #135
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I can honestly say, as a guy, that Akagi doesn't look bad when he's not in close-up. It's because a close up of him seems to magnify his nose, which lessens his good-looking appearance. And when I mean he doesn't look bad, he's pretty handsome (I watched Akagi - 13 yesterday.)
Old 2006-07-23, 19:30   Link #136
ddraggy
Abnormality

Episode 14 is out, and what a doozy it is!

Spoiler for ep14:

Well, the new ending's certainly different, I'll give you that. It'll probably grow on me after I figure out what "Silent This Side" actually means. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to meditate on Akagi's shirtlessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih
A lot of people would have noticed that his voice is Jin from Samurai Champloo ?
The VA was Jin? No wonder I like the voice; he was my favourite character from Champloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I can honestly say, as a guy, that Akagi doesn't look bad when he's not in close-up. It's because a close up of him seems to magnify his nose, which lessens his good-looking appearance. And when I mean he doesn't look bad, he's pretty handsome (I watched Akagi - 13 yesterday.)
Yeah, tile POV gives you a nice shot up his nose, while side view highlights his long nose, cyclops eye, and weird chin. Akagi looks pretty good straight on and in full body shots, though. He fills out his clothes (and, um, pants) nicely.

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-07-24, 00:13   Link #137
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Well, the new ending's certainly different, I'll give you that. It'll probably grow on me after I figure out what "Silent This Side" actually means. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to meditate on Akagi's shirtlessness.
I've read somewhere(probaly in futaba) that it was silent Dis-side(as in 'the opposite of'),so I was wondering why the hell is the title S.T.S..but anyways silent dis-side still doesn't make any sense.For the new ending...look closely how Akagi walks on the railroad tracks:look closely at his steps,and at his waist...and keep up the meditation!

..And I am finally able to put this signature up!

As for episode 14..
Spoiler for episode 14:
Old 2006-07-24, 16:53   Link #138
ddraggy
Abnormality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih
I've read somewhere(probaly in futaba) that it was silent Dis-side(as in 'the opposite of'),so I was wondering why the hell is the title S.T.S..but anyways silent dis-side still doesn't make any sense.For the new ending...look closely how Akagi walks on the railroad tracks:look closely at his steps,and at his waist...and keep up the meditation!
I rewatched the ending a few times, and it seems that "Silent This Side" actually means "I Stay Silent". Or something like that. Triad's translation is pretty solid, so I think it is "This Side" rather than "Dis-side". It's hard to tell, though.

Akagi needs to save some money for a new pair of pants. They must be riding up pretty badly to make him walk like that, plus they're a bit tight across the front

Director: OK, that's a wrap, cue ending, and Akagi, there are fangirls and boys present, so TAKE OFF THE SHIRT!
Akagi: I don't feel like it. Ask Osamu. *lights one up*
Director: I'll find someone to play Russian Roulette with you if you do it.
Akagi: ... *removes shirt*
Director: And I'll load an extra bullet if you put these pants on and wriggle...
Akagi: No.
Director: We'll play with a rusty semiautomatic...
Akagi: ...... *strips*

Quote:
As for episode 14..
Spoiler for episode 14:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

~ ddraggy
Old 2006-07-25, 12:00   Link #139
eris_sama

What are some good Akagi fanart sites? Much as I love the show, I would like to look at some prettier char designs
Also, how do you add spoiler tags? Was never able to figure it out on any forum and it just occurred to me to ask or I wouldn't be able to discuss anything.
Old 2006-07-25, 13:04   Link #140
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eris_sama
Also, how do you add spoiler tags? Was never able to figure it out on any forum and it just occurred to me to ask or I wouldn't be able to discuss anything.
You can get that info by clicking on FAQ just below the forum banner, then clicking "Reading and Posting Messages" then clicking "Are there any special codes/tags I can use to markup my posts?" then clicking "For more information about vB code, click here." then clicking "[spoiler]."
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, mahjong, seinen