AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-02-12, 22:44   Link #81
EmperorIceBerg
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
OK, since R=L and L=R in Japan is it Lir or Ril?.

It sounds like and is subbed as Lir. So i'm guessing its actually Ril?.

BTW - Thanks for making such a nice Ava Catgirls.
EmperorIceBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 23:49   Link #82
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
It could be anything (Ril, Lir, Rir, Lil, Lile, Rire, Ryl, Lyr... whatever). It's RIRU MEIYAA in kana.

I prefer Ril because it looks like an actual female name. Lil is just so uncool and dumb, I refuse to even think about the possibility that they really meant it. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 03:01   Link #83
rale
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIceBerg
OK, since R=L and L=R in Japan is it Lir or Ril?.

It sounds like and is subbed as Lir. So i'm guessing its actually Ril?.

BTW - Thanks for making such a nice Ava Catgirls.
Well, it's hardly definitive, but the image for her character on the show's website is named "rill.gif", so I'm going to say Rill. The images of the other characters are also named things that seem to be correct (Iggy, Vincent, etc), so it's probably right.
rale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 04:26   Link #84
reiayanami20
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to reiayanami20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
It could be anything (Ril, Lir, Rir, Lil, Lile, Rire, Ryl, Lyr... whatever). It's RIRU MEIYAA in kana.

I prefer Ril because it looks like an actual female name. Lil is just so uncool and dumb, I refuse to even think about the possibility that they really meant it. 8)
yes . it`s true

i know in kana

-_,-+but it`s not like a name

so i change a little..Lir Meyer.maybe it`s better

we discuss her name for almost 1 week.....
reiayanami20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 06:00   Link #85
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The version I watched translated it to Lil, I think that's just a stupid name. Liru or Rilu is much cooler. But if the official site's gif name is Rill, then Rill is fine I guess.
__________________
So long.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 06:24   Link #86
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
The version I watched translated it as Lir. Lir is also cool with me. Hell, anything is cool with me as long as the heroine is as beautiful as HER.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 12:52   Link #87
NaviX
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MMU Malacca
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to NaviX Send a message via Yahoo to NaviX Send a message via Skype™ to NaviX
Wow! What a great preview. It had some of the most amazing animation I've seen in a while and they used english instead of engrish.

The sub I watched also put her name as Lir although I think Rill is definitely better. Lir sounds way too weird.

The utopian city of Romd or whatever its called is too controlled and rigid. If it were up to me I'd take life outside any day. So far, I don't feel anything at all for Rill as she is just like an average arrogant citizen.

Overall it was a excellent first episode. Finally, something really good besides Noein.

Last edited by NaviX; 2006-02-13 at 13:05.
NaviX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 13:06   Link #88
reiayanami20
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to reiayanami20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviX
Wow! What a great preview. It had some of the most amazing animation I've seen in a while and they used english instead of engrish.

The sub I watched also put her name as Lir although I think Rill is definitely better. Lir sounds way too weird.

- -BUT SHE IS ALSO weird

HER EYES LIKE PAnDA

Last edited by reiayanami20; 2006-02-13 at 14:12.
reiayanami20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 17:21   Link #89
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Well I finally was able to supress all the hype I've been having for the last 5 months...That's how loooong I've been waiting for this show to air and it didn't dissapoint 1 bit...Everything about this show rocked in episode 1...It's always funny to think about how a show is gonna be based on limited information and only a few clips...Your imagination goes kinda wild because you have no clue how the world of the anime and the circumstances may be...It was a little different than I had imagined, but nonetheless amazing...The tension and dramatic atmosphere was there aswell...If you had headphones on like me blasting them you really got a treat with the suspense filled music and exillerating sound effects...

The show has a Ghost in the Shell SAC meets the X-files feel to it with a really dark and gloom-filled atmosphere to it...The main character Lir seems so much more normal than I had envisioned her...Yeah she kicks a$$ but has a very even-handed demeanor it seems...Based on the pre-hype I thought she would be like a psychopath assassin, but I guess intense eye-shadow and make-up can really make a man's mind go crazy places ...

Not sure what the "proxy" is though...I guess I'll have to watch it again...Watching it on TV as oppose to the monitor didn't have an advantage for me either way...I guess it looked better on the flat-screen monitor, but like somone else said the RAW seemed to have more visual quality, but it really didn't deter me much as it was still visually stunning...The CG was beyond incredible...stuff like the hologram notebooks impressed me...The backgrounds were as awesome as I imagined aswell...I also liked the end where the cute little Japanese chick explained alot about the show...

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the show seems to be based around Lir (great name BTW) who is an agent for a city management agency who (along with her android-ish partner) investigates wierd happenings around the city involving autoraves (which are oddly similiar to Ghosts in GITS)...I guess the sinister "proxy" is lurking and has a connection with the autorave phenomenon...Correct? Incorrect?

Anyways this thing seems to be the real deal and based on just one episode I say takes the lead as best new anime of 2006 so far...If it stays on the current production level I don't think there's anything new out there that can beat it...If the story is just above average we really have something special here...


P.S. Will Feb 26th episode be ep 2 or ep 1 again?
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 17:31   Link #90
reiayanami20
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to reiayanami20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Well I finally was able to supress all the hype I've been having for the last 5 months...That's how loooong I've been waiting for this show to air and it didn't dissapoint 1 bit...Everything about this show rocked in episode 1...It's always funny to think about how a show is gonna be based on limited information and only a few clips...Your imagination goes kinda wild because you have no clue how the world of the anime and the circumstances may be...It was a little different than I had imagined, but nonetheless amazing...The tension and dramatic atmosphere was there
Anyways this thing seems to be the real deal and based on just one episode I say takes the lead as best new anime of 2006 so far...If it stays on the current production level I don't think there's anything new out there that can beat it...If the story is just above average we really have something special here...


P.S. Will Feb 26th episode be ep 2 or ep 1 again?
-_,-+ my english is very poor

FEB 25TH eP1 wil be again
reiayanami20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 18:44   Link #91
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Not sure what the "proxy" is though...
"Proxy" is the name of the android that escaped from the lab.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 18:46   Link #92
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
You might aswell tell me what "Ergo" is too...

...and is my synopsis right?
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 18:48   Link #93
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
"Ergo" is Latin for "therefore", "consequently".

Quote:
...and is my synopsis right?
Not at all. 8)

Ril is investigating several murders that have involved autoreiv who were infected with the Cogito virus. Autoreiv are nothing like "ghosts" from GITS. Autoreiv are androids, human-like biorobots. "Ghost" in GITS is the digital/spiritual soul of a person.

And the Proxy is an autoreiv that has achieved emotions and free will. He has escaped from the lab and has now been sneaking around Ril, and even saving her from another monster autoreiv.

PS: BTW, the title is not to be translated literally. "Ergo Proxy" is the full name of the android according to the official website.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-02-13 at 19:43.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:03   Link #94
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
How could you say the other was not a proxy? You couldn't, could you?

Too much of the first episode was shrouded in mystery, yet the coolness factor had blown me away. By jove, March is still a far time. They shouldn't have shown the first episode. I have become a fanboy of it already.

Ergo Proxy is amazing. The kind of amazing that makes me having difficulty sleeping just thinking of the immensity of Lir's beauty. The story is serious, and is also deep. No comedic moments, no wasteful kill-actions, just a dark story, and perhaps, from the first episode, a great one.

You could scroll down and check my spoilerific first-episode rant and review of Ergo Proxy. It contains screencaps as well, check out http://thecrescentmoon.blogspot.com ... kindly leave comments as well, if you could.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:08   Link #95
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
@Mr. Prophet - Well I meant the part about them (the autoraves) being asthetically similiar to some prosthetic bodies from GITS...Not that they are digital souls//spirits I guess i shoulda made myself clearer on that...I understand that they aren't the same, but i did get a feeling that was a bit similiar...

As for the rest yah thanx...I hope the story isn't that finite though (chasing one android around as the whole story) I think Ergo Proxy was a name decided on after a night of much illegal drugs... "Then somebody said 'Ergo Proxy' doesn't that sound cool as hell???!?" xD...They subsequently found a way to make it fit... BTW it does sound cool as a superficial title even if it isn't...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:16   Link #96
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
A connection must exist between the virus and the presence of Ergo in the title. It is because Descartes's most famous proposition is 'Cogito ergo sum.' (I think, therefore I exist) This has been the premise of the Cogito virus - autoraves in bondage are infected, and then they show free thought (existence, finally).

I assume that proxies have something to do with their 'awakening'. Ergo Proxy roughly translates to therefore, replace. And indeed, their mindlessness is replaced with thought, with freedom.

[Sorry if it's quite messy.]

Now we go to the literary genre - dystopia. Utopia, in this series, is somewhat achieved, however, freedom is limited - somewhat like the freedom of Fahrenheit 451, or the freedom of 1984 [Big Brother is watching you.] Awakening - that is realized by the protagonists, and they seek solutions to the problem that they only currently see.

I think this is where the story will go through. A continuous discovery of the freedom that means to chain, thus, no freedom at all.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:36   Link #97
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Speaking of names... 8)

This show is just full of really funny names that could, on one hand, mean something, but, on the other, could just be a load of hogwash. For example, there are characters like:

- Kristeva (played by Kuwashima Houko, by the way). This name sounds like the work of someone who's heard of Julia Kristeva, a famous Bulgarian philosopher and antropologist

- Derrida (his name is spelled DERIDA in kana), who's name seems to imply a connection to Jacques Derrida, another famous French philosopher and deconstructivist.

- Husserl (kana spelled as HUSSERU), whom I think to be the anime version of Edmund Husserl, another famous philosopher, German this time. He was the teacher of Martin Heidegger, if that name means anything to you. 8)

As for androids, the main website also has another android that looks like Ergo Proxy. Now, his name is spelled something like MONADO BURAKUSHII.

I have no idea what BURAKUSHII might mean ("brackish"? It's a word, means something like "repulsive"), but Monad is another philosophical term that dates back to the Pythagoreans and it means the first thing that came into existance (from mono - single). A monad has born a dyad (dual), from which came numbers, then two-dimensional lines, then three-dimensional objects and so on...

Also, the famous German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Leibnitz used the word "monad" to explain his notion of a mental object (a monad) that creates physical objects by dreaming about them.

There are also these characters like Rakan and Pakuri, but I didn't figure out to whom they were referring. 8)

PS: Gosh, I used the word "famous" a lot. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:38   Link #98
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
A connection must exist between the virus and the presence of Ergo in the title. It is because Descartes's most famous proposition is 'Cogito ergo sum.' (I think, therefore I exist) This has been the premise of the Cogito virus - autoraves in bondage are infected, and then they show free thought (existence, finally).

I assume that proxies have something to do with their 'awakening'. Ergo Proxy roughly translates to therefore, replace. And indeed, their mindlessness is replaced with thought, with freedom.


I think this is where the story will go through. A continuous discovery of the freedom that means to chain, thus, no freedom at all.


Interesting...well "proxy" pretty much means someone (something) being empowered or given authority to act on a higher-up's behalf...And if "Ergo" is basically conjecture for A.I. or autonomy of mind...Then the "Ergo Proxy" is a free-willed, intelligent being, however it is most likely being controlled to some extent or been given specific instructions by whoever commissioned it as it's "proxy"...

Sounds OK, huh?
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:39   Link #99
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Yeah. Derrida is a post-modern critic.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 19:52   Link #100
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The name Ergo Proxy implies that the android is acting on behalf of someone else. Literally "Therefore acting on behalf of".

Does it mean that he is acting on behalf of himself? Or someone else entirely? The show suggests that he possesses free will, thus the first is more likely, yet it's not something natural to the word "proxy" to act on your own behalf...

The codename sounds like a part of an unfinished sentence.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
manglobe, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.