AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shuffle!

Notices

Old 2006-01-19, 19:44   Link #1
CrowKenobi

Talking Shuffle! dubbed discussion (R1 DVD release)

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Shuffle!.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, youíre free to disagree with another personís opinion, but donít flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, itís true. Theyíre human. Therefore, donít just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if theyíre inorganic objects. You donít have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
(thx, xris!)

Dub cast announced!
  • Rin Tsuchimi: Jerry Jewell
  • Itsuki Midoriba: Todd Haberkorn
  • Lisianthus (Sia): Brittney Karbowski
  • Nerine: Caitlin Glass
  • Kaede Fuyou: Carrie Savage
  • Asa: Monica Rial
  • Primula: Cherami Leigh
  • Mayumi Thyme: Kate Oxley
  • Nadeshiko Benibara: Luci Christian
  • Kareha: Colleen Clinkenbeard
  • Ama: Laura Bailey
  • Eustomas: Travis Willingham
  • Forbesii: Vic Mignogna

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2008-01-08 at 21:52. Reason: changed because of licensing and official cast list
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:08   Link #2
marclemagne
~ ~

I loved the whole English casts of Hand Maid May and Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden, and Bridget Hoffman and Michelle Ruff are two of my absolute favorites. Not sure who'd be who, though. Bridget Hoffman as Nerine, possibly, and Michelle Ruff as Asa.

"If love can kill then surely hatred can save."
-Altena; Noir
marclemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:18   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

You've just killed Shuffle.
Old 2006-01-19, 20:18   Link #4
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

English dubs are for the most part disgusting. I do not want to think about this.
Old 2006-01-19, 20:31   Link #5
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
You've just killed Shuffle.
In what way????? Care to elaborate?

Stranger things have happened... Geneon licensing Girls' Bravo and DearS, ADV licensing Yumeria... more than likely it's only a matter of time.

Edit: And I will buy the DVD's when they come out.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:36   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

In a way that i love Shuffle what it is, and the Japanese seiyuu's make it even more better for me to love - and you go talk about a dub! ;_;
Old 2006-01-19, 20:39   Link #7
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

Anime is originaly in Japanese. It's dumb to watch it in English. It's like watching a Kung-Fu movie dubbed.

...I know I'm breaking the first rule stated in the OP but this topic is just utter crap.

edit: David Lucas as Rin lol
Old 2006-01-19, 20:47   Link #8
BrokenWingz

Yeah most stuff dubbed make me cry at the horrible change
Only seen a small amount of shows that were dubbed good
Dont ruin Asa!!
Oh and i dont know/remember any american voice-over's name..(or seiyuu's for the matter..xD)
Old 2006-01-19, 20:59   Link #9
marclemagne
~ ~

I think when watching a live action movie it should absolutely be seen and experienced in the original language, but with animation I don't think that is as true. I think with the proper cast and with a good translation and with both keeping to the original (both in terms of spirit and quality, it can be done. I think Noir was well done.

I don't think it's automatically a bad thing.

Also, in a lot of cases dubbing expands the audience giving people who might not otherwise get the chance the opportunity to see some really amazing things, even though it's not in the original language. Before downloading my first fansub (which was actually Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~) I watched everything I got from Netflix dubbed. While I prefer the fansubs now, I had a lot of good experiences with dubs. I especially liked Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, and Love Hina. (And on Cartoon Network years before that, Tenchi Muyo.)

Sorry to be off-topic. If/when Shuffle! becomes available, I'll definitely at least check out the dubbed versions to see what they're like and how they compare.

-Altena; Noir
Old 2006-01-19, 21:15   Link #10
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

How is anime any different from a live action movie other than the fact that it's animated? The actual voice acting in anime (as you may well know) happens between the actors in one room so they can play off each other. In dubs, it's just one guy in a room, there's no oppertunity to play off the other actors. In that way the original versions of most anime are already closer to live action films as the actors can work of others' reactions to a degree (what's allowed by the script, lip flaps).

Also, when you're watching the dub, you're missing part of the original creator's vision. They chose the seiyuu for a reason (doesn't have to be a deep reason), but that affects the show. If you're watching a dub you're watching some American director's view of the show which is not the original. This why eventualy I wish to be able to watch and understand anime raw so I can come to own conclusion of what everything means and not some translators view.
Old 2006-01-19, 21:46   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry.. I don't care whether its live-action, animated, romance, thriller.... with the exception of big budget productions (e.g. Disney), 99% of every english-language dub I've ever heard sucked rotten eggs.... poor voice casting, poor acting skills, bad translations, you name it. That said, for romance dramas I'd like to see them use drama skilled acting talent ... not the "cartoon crews" they repeatedly use (and not even the good ones .... for cripes.... if we can get Bernadette Peters to voice a cat in Animaniacs, we can expect better out of dubs).

To chorus in on some other posts --- the original voice actor is an integral part of the character for me.... Motoko isn't Motoko without Asakawa Yuu.

I always give the dubs a shot when I buy anime ... but I rarely last through one episode before I have to get a bucket. The only reason my wife will tolerate a dub is that sometimes the font choices of the subtitles make her a bit nauseated (literally ..... its pretty clear few subtitlers have astigmatism).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 21:51   Link #12
Cyz
"Show it to me"

well, i really don't care if it's dubbed or subbed or fansubbed. as long i can watch it then that's cool.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 21:52   Link #13
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

If you think about it, anime aside, there is very little dubbing done in the United States. Most people aren't interested in seeing foreign language films (yes, I know of exceptions). Those who go to see a lot of foreign language films tend to dislike dubbing. So when it is done, it's tends to be done badly.

Having said that, when Ranma was first released in the U.S., I watched the dubs and the subs, and the American voice actress for Nabiki just stole my heart.

Just a bit of off-topic trivia: when the first Mad Mad film was released in the United States, it was dubbed (very, very badly) for the drive-in circuit -- or at least that was the explanation given for dubbing an English language film for an English language speaking audience. When it was released on VHS, it was release dubbed. I couldn't watch it. I had seen Mel Gibson in a film called "The Year of Living Dangerously," and "The Road Warrior," (and possibly Galipoli) so I knew what he sounded like. It was just awful. I didn't see the film with the original, Australian soundtrack for quite some time.
Old 2006-01-19, 21:53   Link #14
marclemagne
~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildarmsheero
How is anime any different from a live action movie other than the fact that it's animated? The actual voice acting in anime (as you may well know) happens between the actors in one room so they can play off each other. In dubs, it's just one guy in a room, there's no oppertunity to play off the other actors. In that way the original versions of most anime are already closer to live action films as the actors can work of others' reactions to a degree (what's allowed by the script, lip flaps).
It might be a simple reason but when a live action movie is being dubbed, the expressions on the faces of the characters and their lip movements do not match up. This is obvious, of course, but I don't think animation suffers this limitation. Also, characters in live action dubs don't "look" like they sound when dubbed, which also betrays the illusion, and again, I don't think this is the case with animation. I don't know how dubs are created in studio, whether the English voice actors are grouped together or not, but if they're not then you're right, that is a knock against dubbing. The dubbing, like the original voice acting, should be natural and organic with the actors, as you said, working off of each other. But is that always the case? Can we even tell really when that's not the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildarmsheero
Also, when you're watching the dub, you're missing part of the original creator's vision. They chose the seiyuu for a reason (doesn't have to be a deep reason), but that affects the show. If you're watching a dub you're watching some American director's view of the show which is not the original. This why eventualy I wish to be able to watch and understand anime raw so I can come to own conclusion of what everything means and not some translators view.
This is a problem not just inherent to anime subbing and dubbing. I've read hundreds of literary translations in English (from Pablo Neruda to... Goethe) and we are always subject to the translator's interpretation, no matter how good his/her intentions are. I think it would be great to learn Japanese and be able to understand what I'm watching that much better... but would I understand it as a Japanese-born and speaking person would? Certainly not, so right from the beginning I'm at a disadvantage. Watching a fansub puts me at a disadvantage again because that subjects me to another person's interpretation (apart from my own). So between myself and the subber, I'm already a couple of steps away from understanding the original intent. I don't really see how watching a sub and watching a dub makes that much of a difference at that point.

Ultimately, it wasn't the fact that I was watching a fansubbed version of Shuffle! that made me love the show, it was the vizualization of a wonderful story that made me think, made me laugh, and once or twice even made me tear up. That experience may have been filtered though the interpretation of a subber but the subber was close enough that I was able to "get it" and enjoy it. Again, if it had been dubbed I don't think I would have enjoyed it any less. It would just be another interpretation.

-Altena; Noir
Old 2006-01-19, 22:08   Link #15
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

Quote:
Again, if it had been dubbed I don't think I would have enjoyed it any less.
What if the dub really sucks like most dubs do.
Old 2006-01-19, 22:09   Link #16
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

I find that certain expressions from translations read fine but sound stilted or just plain weird when you hear them. Dubbers, of course, try to avoid this and use the vernacular of their audience. This inevitably looks like they're dumbing the dialogue down. I understand that that's not always the case, but I just can't get over it. Couple that with often subpar voice acting, and the anime seems to lose its flavor. It just looks and sounds like they're "de-Japanesing" the work.
Old 2006-01-19, 22:53   Link #17
Eclipze

Problems with this thread:
1) AF posters tend to prefer subs for obvious reasons. (DLing subs as one of them).
2) AF posters in general do not know of english dub voice actors.

You should give example of previous dub-jobs by the actors, you know...
Old 2006-01-19, 23:19   Link #18
Furudanuki

I am not a "purist", so I would not be inherently opposed to a well-done dub. However, aside from the Ghibli/Disney works, Azumanga Daioh is the only anime in my collection where - in my opinion - the dub voice actors for the most part manage to capture the spirit and mood of the original cast. There are a few others where individual voices are dubbed well, but not the entire cast. So put me firmly in the "extremely skeptical, but willing to be proven wrong" camp.

As for my VA list, the only match I could come up with would be:
  • Mayumi Thyme - Mandy Clark (Tomo Takino from Azumanga Daioh)
Barring an absolutely stellar performance from the dub VA, I don't believe I could possibly enjoy anyone else as the voice of Nerine, Asa, Ama or Primula. Probably none of the other characters either, but those four in particular. And anyone dubbing Nerine is going to have an especially difficult time because she uses a very polite and formal mode of speech that simply does not translate well into modern spoken English. The dub VA who did Belldandy for the Ah! My Goddess TV region 1 DVD faced the same problem.
Now watching: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, Allison to Lillia, Clannad - After Story, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Hidamari Sketch x365, Kannagi, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~, Telepathy Girl Ran, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Zettai Karen Children
Recently completed: Ghost Hound, Aria: The Origination, Kanokon, Kure-nai, Itazura na Kiss, Special A, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Macross Frontier, Ryouko's Case File, ToLoveRU, Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 00:08   Link #19
marclemagne
~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
And anyone dubbing Nerine is going to have an especially difficult time because she uses a very polite and formal mode of speech that simply does not translate well into modern spoken English. The dub VA who did Belldandy for the Ah! My Goddess TV region 1 DVD faced the same problem.
As I mentioned earlier, I feel like Bridget Hoffman, who was also the dub VA for Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, could possibly do a pretty good job with Nerine. Her voice might sound a little bit too old for the part, though. Also, aside from Lain, she usually voices older characters so far that I've seen (as in Please Teacher/Twins and Chobits). Still, I think it would be an interesting thing to hear, even if completely wrong!

-Altena; Noir
Old 2006-01-20, 02:04   Link #20
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Live Action, English-language Shuffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marclemagne
As I mentioned earlier, I feel like Bridget Hoffman, who was also the dub VA for Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, could possibly do a pretty good job with Nerine. Her voice might sound a little bit too old for the part, though. Also, aside from Lain, she usually voices older characters so far that I've seen (as in Please Teacher/Twins and Chobits). Still, I think it would be an interesting thing to hear, even if completely wrong!
Is she British?

Maybe we should be thinking about live action casting instead. The sub/dub argument has been raging for at least fifteen years, and we're not going to resolve it here. For Americans, maybe the question should be as follows:

What actor or actress, appearing on a series on the WB or Fox during the last five years, would you cast in "Shuffle!"?

There will be panty shots, so go nuts.