AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-12-31, 13:46   Link #41
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Okay, I tend to make sweeping generalizations when I'm in the heat of things. I do like many live-action productions. But I do not like the trend that if something becomes live-action, then it is considered a 'graduation' or superior to the animated medium--independent of the actual execution, just because it is live action. For example, upcoming EVA, Transformers, now that you mention it, GTO (though I haven't watched it)
Hmm. I haven't noticed that tendency. Does anyone else? But I see your gripe. I would agree that just because anime becomes a live action, doesn't mean it's better. Let's take GTO for example again, in some respects the live action does better than the anime, but the anime excels in some aspects than the live action. Of course one's got to watch the shows first to make a judgment, but to say which form of show is better, that's subjective and depends on the viewer. That's true for any show, independent of what form it is in.

Quote:
That short 20-30 min movie that took you one month to edit...in animation it would be twelve weeks from start to finish...if all goes well. If not, sixteen weeks. We can only hope that the client knew what he was doing before he drew the storyboards. Otherwise, the pressure's on us.
But keep in mind that we were mere students, and our film was obviously amateur. And that we were also restricted by time (we really only had a month before the end of the semester, and class was finished). If it was a professional production, who knows, that 20-30 minute movie might take much more a month to perfect.

Quote:
As I sit here typing trying to celebrate New Year's, a colleague of mine just rang the phone asking me where to find an installer so that this certain Canadian expat director who spends twenty hours a day on cartoons can continue proofing his work along with his army of dedicated local animators. It isn't a sweatshop, it's worse than that.
Oh of course. How could I have miss/forgotten this. After reading this paragraph, all of a sudden I understand your perspective and position, because you have a strong bias of actually working in the anime industry. OK, fair enough. I wonder if it would be interesting to see a professional in film talk to a professional in anime (such as you) about who has the harder job. But then I think that would be pointless as each one would have their own difficult hurdles to face. So I'll stop and say, thanks for your views. And yeah, I'm not going to even touch the topic of DVDs and ethics of fansubbing with my cursor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Most anime is supposed to be viewed sober, but there are exceptions. One memorable exception is School Rumble.

As funny as School Rumble is, you'll quickly discover that not only is it funnier when you're drunk, but it is also much more comprehensible! Try watching the episode 4 when you're wasted and you'll see that it makes perfect sense for Karasuma to be wearing a kappa suit. I'm convinced that every episode of School Rumble needs to be watched twice. Once when you're drunk off your ass and once more when you are stoned.
Heh heh, I was going say something similar but I held back. But now that you've mention it, I'm convinced ever since I watched Serial Experiments Lain, that it is best watched when you're high (on Acid or something). The strong contrast, almost psychedelic colors, and bizzare editing/perspective shots, really feels like it would be an enjoyable trip if one was high.

Shinku, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul...
I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Shinku.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2005-12-31 at 14:12.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 13:58   Link #42
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Oops double post. Forgive me.

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Shinku.
Old 2005-12-31, 21:25   Link #43
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
Haibane Renmei, lot's of fat forwarding and lost of beer.
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 00:58   Link #44
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

I usually skip the OP for Monster and sometimes the OP for Yakitate, but that's pretty much it.

DOCKING MODE~
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 01:19   Link #45
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Heh heh, I was going say something similar but I held back. But now that you've mention it, I'm convinced ever since I watched Serial Experiments Lain, that it is best watched when you're high (on Acid or something). The strong contrast, almost psychedelic colors, and bizzare editing/perspective shots, really feels like it would be an enjoyable trip if one was high.
You've shocked me! That is vandalization indeed! Unlike School Rumble which is about wild insane fun, Lain is a deep show full of meaning. If you actually did this, then you'd never be able to properly appreciate and understand Serial Experiments Lain as it deserves.

Now, the show to drop acid on is FLCL. That show is just begging for some Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. We need to be very careful to match the right shows to the right drugs or else you'll do harm to them both.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 13:29   Link #46
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
You've shocked me! That is vandalization indeed! Unlike School Rumble which is about wild insane fun, Lain is a deep show full of meaning. If you actually did this, then you'd never be able to properly appreciate and understand Serial Experiments Lain as it deserves.

Now, the show to drop acid on is FLCL. That show is just begging for some Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. We need to be very careful to match the right shows to the right drugs or else you'll do harm to them both.
Rest assured NoSanninWa, I did view Serial Experiments Lain with a clean mind, several times in fact. I have no doubt Lain is imbedded with meanings and messages you formulate yourself (a design like that recent movie Syriana /plug). But during those watchings I thought, surely the presentation attributes of Lain can be enjoyed through the lense of a drug . After all, watching a show multiple times (in whatever ways and methods) is more entertainment for the time/money. I think that's enough talk about drugs, it almost feels like we're condoning it. Let's just make this clear: Improper use of drugs is bad! /Mahoro voice.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-01-01 at 14:19.
Old 2006-01-03, 00:03   Link #47
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I only skip the openings after around the 5th or 6th episode, gets repetitive.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 08:03   Link #48
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I don't do drugs but how would Pani Poni Dash hold up under that test? I don't promote drug use either but if any users are gonna do some sometime, let me know how Becky and the crew treat your high.
Old 2006-01-03, 16:14   Link #49
el
Slave to the D:

Quote:
Most anime is supposed to be viewed sober, but there are exceptions. One memorable exception is School Rumble.

As funny as School Rumble is, you'll quickly discover that not only is it funnier when you're drunk, but it is also much more comprehensible! Try watching the episode 4 when you're wasted and you'll see that it makes perfect sense for Karasuma to be wearing a kappa suit. I'm convinced that every episode of School Rumble needs to be watched twice. Once when you're drunk off your ass and once more when you are stoned.
KAPPA! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
I don't do drugs but how would Pani Poni Dash hold up under that test? I don't promote drug use either but if any users are gonna do some sometime, let me know how Becky and the crew treat your high.
I am not aware about being high, but if you go to work all day, then come back and attempt to time this beauty, then you get to see a wonderful "different" side to it.

* crawls into the foetal position to the sound of "マホマホマホマホ" being heard in the background.
el is offline   Reply With Quote