AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-22, 21:57   Link #1941
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
if the market is doing well, then it would be considered a success.
There's nothing wrong with that.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 22:06   Link #1942
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Hmm, I didn't view Gundam Seed as a failure.
I didn't like Destiny as much as the original Seed, but I still liked it.

I admit that I'm a Gundam addict, so I like most Gundam series, but I for one really enjoyed Seed.

Guess I must be weird or something.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 00:28   Link #1943
Neku
yare yare..
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Earth (:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
And your opinion makes up society how??
Hence I said "personal opinions that deviate from the society".
__________________
Reborn!
(with nosebleed)
Neku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 08:33   Link #1944
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
A bit late for the discussion, but I think the money=success faction miss a very important point:

Success is not only measured on immediate term, but also on future projection. A company policy that allows the company to make lots of money in one quarter and lose money in the future is not a good policy.

If GSD is so successful, we would be seeing GS third season or GS movie already. With the popularity of GS (GS is a pretty good series. and it is the embodiment of the money=success idea. Some UC die hard fans hate GS, but they hate everything that is not UC anyway), GSD will sell no matter what (kinda like endless eight. Most people are cursing about it, but they watch it regardless). However, the negative opinion on GSD cause the axe on the GS franchise and make Sunrise start from scratch and we have gundam 00. It is kinda obvious that they want to make GS universe the new UC with Shin taking the role of Camille. And the Astray/ Stargazer stuff are equivalent to non-tomino UC like gundam 0080 or 0083.

If GSD is successful, then even if sunrise decided to start a new gundam universe, they would use Fukuda to direct future gundam series. Dropping Fukuda is another indication that even Sunrise consider GSD is a failure.
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 15:08   Link #1945
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 25
Quote:
However, the negative opinion on GSD cause the axe on the GS franchise and make Sunrise start from scratch
Where are you getting this from?
As I already pointed out, GSD was topping charts, it was well received in japan..

ow and the last time we heard about the movie (in 2010) it is still in the early stage of pre-production and the movie was announced like 4 years ago. The fact Bandai hasn't dropped the project says enough about how much they care..
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 16:26   Link #1946
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Where are you getting this from?
As I already pointed out, GSD was topping charts, it was well received in japan..

ow and the last time we heard about the movie (in 2010) it is still in the early stage of pre-production and the movie was announced like 4 years ago. The fact Bandai hasn't dropped the project says enough about how much they care..
Where I get the negative opinion? 2ch and nicovideo.

Did you read my post AT ALL? I said that GSD is going to pop the chart regardless due to being a sequel of a hugely successful GS. People will watch it even if they are showing blank screen!

I already said, that if you want to say GSD is successful, I would like explanation of why we are not seeing GS season 3 featuring Kira/ Athrun/ Lacus/ Shinn...etc Or at least showing stuff in the same universe.

We also see a huge deviance of style when comparing GS verse and G00 verse. If GSD is so successful we will see Sunrise trying to mimick its style. Sunrise is a large corporation. If a formula works it will stick with it.

Also, word is cheap. Unless we are seeing a PV of gundam seed movie, I doubt the movie is actually in production.
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 17:54   Link #1947
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
A company policy that allows the company to make lots of money in one quarter and lose money in the future is not a good policy.
Except a TV show is not simply a policy, it's a product/good that a company makes and then sell. Whether or not the company loses money in the future is up to the next product (show) that the company makes.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 19:33   Link #1948
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
ow and the last time we heard about the movie (in 2010) it is still in the early stage of pre-production and the movie was announced like 4 years ago. The fact Bandai hasn't dropped the project says enough about how much they care..
The same thing could be said of 3DRealms and Duke Nukem Forever, and we know how that went.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 00:49   Link #1949
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The same thing could be said of 3DRealms and Duke Nukem Forever, and we know how that went.
Apparently the game will be out later this year.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 01:36   Link #1950
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Apparently the game will be out later this year.
Oh I'm quite aware of that, but that wasn't my point. And the only reason DNF is coming out at all is because it was handed off to an entirely different company.

As things stand, the SEED movie will probably only come out if it's writing and development are handed off to someone else.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 01:48   Link #1951
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Except a TV show is not simply a policy, it's a product/good that a company makes and then sell. Whether or not the company loses money in the future is up to the next product (show) that the company makes.
It is true for most TV show, thus I don't think endless eight is a failure but rather a choice kyoani decided to make. However, Gundam is not JUST a TV show, it is a franchise. Gundam Seed is a goose lying golden eggs. GSD killed that goose.
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 03:29   Link #1952
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Where are you getting this from?
As I already pointed out, GSD was topping charts, it was well received in japan..

ow and the last time we heard about the movie (in 2010) it is still in the early stage of pre-production and the movie was announced like 4 years ago. The fact Bandai hasn't dropped the project says enough about how much they care..
In terms of the Japanese equivalent of the Nielsen ratings, it went up against and was beaten by Full Metal Alchemist.

But what about the GSD-related merchandise and Gunpla?
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 07:03   Link #1953
JiPrime
En Taro Tassadar!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo, ON
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
It is true for most TV show, thus I don't think endless eight is a failure but rather a choice kyoani decided to make. However, Gundam is not JUST a TV show, it is a franchise. Gundam Seed is a goose lying golden eggs. GSD killed that goose.
You could not have said that better.
__________________
JiPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 07:14   Link #1954
antigone
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
kira yamato and lacus clyne. that is all
__________________
i don't get it.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 08:22   Link #1955
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Oh I'm quite aware of that, but that wasn't my point. And the only reason DNF is coming out at all is because it was handed off to an entirely different company.

As things stand, the SEED movie will probably only come out if it's writing and development are handed off to someone else.
That's unlikely seeing as how Bandai is not 3DRealms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
It is true for most TV show, thus I don't think endless eight is a failure but rather a choice kyoani decided to make. However, Gundam is not JUST a TV show, it is a franchise. Gundam Seed is a goose lying golden eggs. GSD killed that goose.
It's also a franchise that doesn't depend on one single timeline/universe. You can't say that Destiny failed simply for not having received an immediate sequel series.

That's like saying the series Deep Space Nine (of the Star Trek franchise) failed for not having a sequel. And you'd have a hard time convincing me that Star Trek DS9 was a failed series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
In terms of the Japanese equivalent of the Nielsen ratings, it went up against and was beaten by Full Metal Alchemist.
When did GSD go up against FMA?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 10:05   Link #1956
LightMaster
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiPrime View Post
You could not have said that better.
And it would have been damned retarded coming from both of you. GSD is the second most lucrative series in Gundam, but YES, COMPLETELY KILLED SEED VERSE- with all it's money making!
LightMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 16:36   Link #1957
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 25
Quote:
Where I get the negative opinion? 2ch and nicovideo.
Awesome, we all know that's where Seed's audience hand out at..

Just so you know, GS and GSD are well known for having a wider range of audience then the Anime and Gundam otaku. One of the reason why it was so successful..

Quote:
Did you read my post AT ALL? I said that GSD is going to pop the chart regardless due to being a sequel of a hugely successful GS. People will watch it even if they are showing blank screen!

I already said, that if you want to say GSD is successful, I would like explanation of why we are not seeing GS season 3 featuring Kira/ Athrun/ Lacus/ Shinn...etc Or at least showing stuff in the same universe.
ehmmm, I don't get it.. are you saying that GSD is a success or not? you are kind of contradicting yourself here..

Quote:
We also see a huge deviance of style when comparing GS verse and G00 verse. If GSD is so successful we will see Sunrise trying to mimick its style. Sunrise is a large corporation. If a formula works it will stick with it.
Sunrise kind of did milk it's style.. ever heard of Code Geass?
even 00 has lots of Gundam seed in it.. even Mizushima said so.

Quote:
Also, word is cheap. Unless we are seeing a PV of gundam seed movie, I doubt the movie is actually in production.
No it's not. When the words are coming from the director and the Writer, published in a major magazine, it holds some gravity. Whatever you believe them or not doesn't matter.
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 22:27   Link #1958
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
But what I really don't understand is why he bothers with stuff like this.. He created two of the most successful Anime series of the past decade.. You would imagine someone like that would have his hands full with some new Anime or something..
Found something written by you (Kaito-kid), and that is the ultimate proof that GSD is not successful since you brush aside everything I come up with and stick with your viewership=success formula.

Fukuda is not involved in any anime production since GSD. If he is so successful in GSD, then like you said, he would have his hands full with new anime production. He is not involved in any new anime production is the proof you need that GSD is not successful. (See the logic: GSD is successful: Fukuda have his hands full with new anime\ ?????: Fukuda do not have his hands full with new anime. What is ????? stands for?)

GS is a success, GSD is not. I think I make myself very clear in my last post. People watch GSD because of the success of GS. To measure success of GSD, viewership is only one of the elements. Other elements include amount of sequels (All we have is stargazer, unfitting for such a "successful" series, company policy and directions (they abandon GSverse and go into G00)...etc. All of that indicate GSD is not as successful as Sunrise would like.
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 23:04   Link #1959
Rawinder
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Where are you getting this from?
As I already pointed out, GSD was topping charts, it was well received in japan..
Tons of shit shows and shit characters top the charts in Japan. That's not helping your argument any.

Destiny was successful with general audiences at the time, but did not go over well with most Gundam fans; aside from the years of mostly negative backlash to GSD, there's also the fact that most GSD Gunpla is still collecting dust on store shelves. So for Gundam fans--the audience that actually matters (as the non-fans will just move from one show to the next no matter what)--GSD was not a success. And that's why Bandai/Sunrise, while not cancelling the SEED movie, are in no rush to release it either.
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 01:12   Link #1960
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
To measure success of GSD, viewership is only one of the elements. Other elements include amount of sequels
That still doesn't mean a series is a failure if it doesn't result in an immediate sequel series being made. It just means it wasn't successful enough to warrant such treatment.

And the last time I read about it, the DVD sales weren't bad either for Destiny. Surely those who watched Destiny simply because it's a sequel of SEED wouldn't buy the DVDs if they didn't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
there's also the fact that most GSD Gunpla is still collecting dust on store shelves.
Did SEED do significantly better in that department?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.