AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-01, 09:23   Link #1
devilcoelhodog

Aegisub And Other Programs Impressions

Hi.

Testing all the programs around there, I can tell the Aegisub has a great chance to be the one (maybe) which can subtitute SSA in many points.

But the problem using Aegisub is the video. It crashes after sometime when I use it in long movies, Like Lord of The Ring.

And the timing selection is not efficent like SSA was.

For me, the "perfect" program is that one which integrates video preview engine from Subtitle Workshop ( great prog !!! ) / Softni Subtitling Suite ( the option to rewind and many features in video are very interesting, but the program is very expensive and run only in Demo Mode) + SSA timing features ( no program until now could beat it in these point, in my opinion ) + Sabbu option for karaoke + Medusa for typesseting.

PS: visualsubsync has a great video engin that works for me. But timing mode is very strange.

The main problem in Aegisub ( for me) is mainly that: video preview. It chashes in my cases when I time long movies, more than 2 hours lenght.

Can you around there test the professional one, named "SoftNI Subtitler Suite"?

You can find it in P2P withou any difficult. Don't worry: it comes without any crack, just DEMO version. But you can have some ideas and impressons using some features inside it. ome of them are interesting.

What does it impress me in that program ( Softni) is that the video engine works very nice. If ny developer could "copy" such engine into Aegisub ou Sabbu or whathever, it will create a great program. These + wave bar similar SSA program will help a lot for timing and avoind timing bleeding too.

I don't know which language they have create Softni Suite ( C++, Assembly, C#, etc), but has many features that could help if they were "copied" into Aegisub, for example. Its too difficult?

Well, at least, if Subtitle Workshop or Visualsbsync video engine could be inserted into Aegisub or Sabbu or Medusa, it will create a very stable program, I think.

---> http://www.softni.com/

If someone could test Softni and wanna let his/her impressions obout it, feel free to do so. It can give some ideas or features that could be implemented in many freeware subtitling programs around there in future.

Thanks.
Old 2006-01-02, 12:30   Link #2
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Why would you be timing Lord of the Rings? This forum is for discussion of subbing unlicensed anime, not Hollywood motion pictures.

The Crumbling Biscuit.
Old 2006-01-02, 14:32   Link #3
devilcoelhodog

My main goal is not only to time just animes and similars ones: I have tested severals programs that could ( or not) time the most possible kinds of materials and sources.

SSA can do that, but it's very old and has many lmiitations that Aegisub or Sabbu can avoid, like video preview.

Lord of the Rings is just an example.

There is a movie that has almost 6 hours lenght and I wanna find a program with videopreview capable to do the job + using wav bar too for timing.

I guess Aegisub can do that when get more stable in video field.

As I said before, if Aegisub could "imitate" SubtitleWorkshop video engine or Visualsubsync, without change his actual layout ( wav bar + video bar, all of them in the same screen), maybe we get more stable and effective program.

For me, Aegisub crash after some half an hour.

And, I guess that Aegisub can get better and better too in future versions. And maybe not only to be used for animes/animers/ fansubbers, but other video sources too. Subtitlers for movies its an example.

Look the pictures above:

---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Untertitel.jpg

---> http://www.spotsoftware.nl/software.html

---> http://www.softni.com/images/ScrSubtitler.jpg

I wanna find one program similar these: wav bar + video preview in the same screen, that can play video selection at same time that sound goes run, avoiding bleeding scenes and helping me timing more accuratelly. Aegisub is almost there in some points. But need improve video engine, in future releases.

In these examples, the screen that I use like "reference" is the picture from SoftNI Subtitler Suite ( this prog can time animes and karaokes too, I guess): video + wav bar + some features that could be nice Aegisub use like reference too.

Best regards.

Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 2006-01-02 at 14:47.
Old 2006-01-02, 14:59   Link #4
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Aegisub was intended for anime as far as I can tell, and since anime episodes tend to run under an hour, it works really well for my limited needs. I know that's not very helpfully, but since LoTR is available on DVD in English, I rather tend to think that it would be off-topic for AnimeSuki.

The Crumbling Biscuit.
Old 2006-01-02, 15:48   Link #5
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
Aegisub was intended for anime as far as I can tell, and since anime episodes tend to run under an hour, it works really well for my limited needs.
Technically that means it wouldn't work for some of my needs - I'm working on retiming Sexy Commando, and I'm timing against the whole DVD (approx. 2 hr 40 min.), which goes far beyond the Aegisub boundaries.

Then again, I (and the regular A-C timer) still work in good old SSA 4.08, using VirtualDub to reference onscreen text. Still the fastest, still the best in a lot of ways.

Of course, we don't do animated typesetting or anything, so our needs are limited. YMMV.
Old 2006-01-02, 15:52   Link #6
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

What "boundaries"? I can't reproduce that bug. If you want a problem fixed, at least have the decency to TELL THE DEVELOPERS WHAT THE ERROR MESSAGE IS, and if you really want it fixed, steps to reproduce the bug. Any Aegisub feedback belongs in the Aegisub forums - if you want the program improved, post there instead of complaining randomly about seemingly fictive issues on a generally unrelated (and probably inappropriate - this thread isn't really related to fansub groups IMO) forum.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-01-02, 16:35   Link #7
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I use Aegisub to time really short things, since timing from Aegisub tends to overlap alot of lines. SSA for the win.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-01-02, 16:37   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Any Aegisub feedback belongs in the Aegisub forums - if you want the program improved, post there instead of complaining randomly about seemingly fictive issues on a generally unrelated (and probably inappropriate - this thread isn't really related to fansub groups IMO) forum.
I suggest you take TheFluff's advice and post in a forum more appropriate to the issues you have.
Closed Thread