AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-01-01, 14:06   Link #1
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Syaoran's Doodles...

After not having drawn for several years in a row, I started again this weekend to see if I still have some skill... all by all I don't think it's too bad, as it's also the first time I try drawing manga characters. It certainly needs improvement ^^

I started with some replications... on copier paper and then went over to trying something different on decent paper, but still based on existing examples.

If you click the images for a bigger version, be aware it's around 2MB each if there're still ISDN or PSTN users here. I took photographs of the drawings since my scanner comes with an old ISA SCSI controller

First try since... Daisuke Niwa from D.N.Angel
Spoiler:

Second one... this was easier than Daisuke. Naruto and Sasuke. I found this scene so funny ^^'
Spoiler:

And finally I wanted to try something different. I'm fond of the 2 manga's and wanted to make a mix of them. Syaoran and Daisuke together... Hopefully nobody minds ^^
I was told people hate this kind of stuff -_-
Spoiler:

What do you think about them ? All comments are welcome: good and/or bad ones
Also, do you have some tips on material I could use to draw characters independantly... like some posture I'd like to see, different angles etc ?

I look forward to your reactions

Last edited by Syaoran; 2007-08-20 at 06:10. Reason: Changed title
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 00:33   Link #2
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

CLEAN UP TIME. I recommend using a 000 sable brush round head and a bottle of india ink to do your lines. But if you are a coward a good 0.5-1.0 drawing would do just fine.
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 12:28   Link #3
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Hmmm ... I kind of like pencil drawings
What I prefer is be able to colour them using the computer, but with a mouse it's a lot of work.

I made this today while I had nothing to do at work.
Old 2006-01-03, 18:40   Link #4
sarrah
tikki

daisuke and naruto sauske are ur strong pieces

i personally dont like yaoi...but cant deny that with an ink pen and a scaner it would look much better than most of my works! keep it up!
sarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 09:37   Link #5
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

~~~it just feels like the orignal~it's good but no-good(most of them are bored me...why needs your incmplete fansart when i got to full colored version)
advise~~~"change a bit somewhere"...add something different make things more interesting as a fansart~or change the style~~~??the eyes...!?the height..the emo...etc

hope that i can help to let you know what a fan might thing~
late words.......fightO
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 11:52   Link #6
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

This is more as a practise. Need to get the hand again before starting good stuff.
I like colouring with pc, but that's a lot of work done by a mouse... and inking with it is not a nice as it would be.

Example
Spoiler:
It's true that they lack any kind of action .. maybe I should change that ^^

What I always wanted to buy is and tablet for pc, but the Wacom Graphire4 A5 looks kind of small... and an Wacom Intuos3 A4 ... expensive >_<

Is a A5 tablet enough for drawing stuff of a decent size ? Any suggestions?
Old 2006-01-07, 13:15   Link #7
guess

I think it's pretty good for someone who hasn't drawn for years. I assume these are more like stetches for killing time. So they are good. About that colored pic. How about showing some shadow and background to show your skill if you really want people's opinions?
Old 2006-01-07, 16:01   Link #8
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

About the Pokemon illustration... Very good, but watch your alliasing. It seems some gray artifacts was snuck in between the paint and your lines. There are several ways you could fix that. One is to scan at a very high dpi using B&W setting, paint then bring it down to whatever size or dpi you wish. Another if you are using Photoshop, Painter or a similar program, you could play with the tolerance or cel tolerance setting (Painter has both). This technique is good if you are doing ink and paint for animation (fast and precise). For manga illuatration, most pros use the mask and alpha channel approach and paint it by hand (or mouse/waccom tablet) using the paintbrush tool instead of the flood fill tool. The result of this is that you have more control over the details of the artwork, but of course it consumes more time.
Old 2006-01-11, 12:49   Link #9
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Thank you for the tips Cracknut ^^
I'm kind of an Photoshop & Co illiterate (is that english ?!), so Idid it with the things I found useful back then My litteracy hasn't improved a bit since then >.<'' *shame*

Last edited by Syaoran; 2006-01-11 at 15:34.
Old 2006-01-12, 20:54   Link #10
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

Well trust me my friend. You'll get the hang of it. I was a die-hart traditionalist when it came to animation (pencil, paper, film). Non of that CGI, Digital paint crap. Until money became an issue, so I had to learn and surprisingly I began to love it. Now I just don't know how I could paint up and animate my works without it.
Old 2006-01-12, 21:00   Link #11
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Techinque-wise, I like the third work out of the three better, but is it me or the hands do look a tad small for a perspective point of view? (especially the right hand)

BTW, scanners are cheap you know. ^^ :P (sorry, I know some can only use cameras, but still....)
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 12:16   Link #12
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

I've a scanner Imaginer, but I've to find a SCSI-to-USB2 converter or a PCI SCSI controller for that thing. It's an old Agfa Snapscan 310S, but I still think it makes nicer scans that my friend's HP Scanjet 5300C.

As for the hand ... I suck at anatonomy ... simply as that. Unfortunately I've been a little down the past 2 weeks and didn't even mind to draw or study Japanese >_< So anatonomy won't have improved a bit

Today I managed to smile a little again. I drew lots of crappy sketches... kind of angry, dead, sad characters and finally started drawing happier stuff.

The last one is the one I made while feeling good again: something nice and sweet ^^

Sasuke hugging small Naruto

I like this drawing... and maybe it's a good one to make a proper version from, correcting the errors made on this one and start working on it in Photoshop afterwards.

What do you think?

Yeah ... it's 2 boys again, but I like drawing unusual things. I like the way some people get annoyed by it, because it doesn't comply to their point of view ^^'

Anyway ... I'll just enjoy the rest of the evening before getting semi-depressed again because of that hell hole tomorrow morning >_<
Old 2006-01-24, 23:06   Link #13
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

SCSI!!! buddy I suggest you get a new one. Scanners aren't expensive these days. As for your hand problems. It's not too bad practice makes perfect.
Old 2006-01-25, 21:00   Link #14
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
I guess I will hijack this thread for now.......Please look at my drawing which is my 1st attempt ever at drawing anything with some detail and although the last time I ever drew all I did was draw stickmen which is preety shitty I decided to draw this while I was in class today (which is in highschool hence the hijacking).
Spoiler:

I kind of surprised myself with this although I messed up the hair and the eye but I didnt have an eraser so meh........

Although I do not think I will ever get close to the qulity of Mr Kentaro Miura's artwork this is just something out of being a fanboy of Berserk.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 09:29   Link #15
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Since the server got seriously crashed today, I have nothing else to do at work except shitchatting ... better do something else then ^^

I installed Inkscape and tried to make something with the classic ball mouse without a mouse pad.

Does someone know how you can paint stuff with that program ?
Old 2006-02-17, 15:50   Link #16
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Hmmm... People don't stop telling me to get started with vector graphics.
Well, today I gave it a try.
This evening I installed Inkscape (for Linux) and made a quick 15 minutes rough pencil sketch for testing vector graphics.

Now, I'm quite impressed with the way vectors work. It's a very nice way to create stuff and I think I should start working with this seriously. The way you can ink stuff with it, import it in The Gimp and do colouring on SVG files is awesome.

Hehe ... I also learned that the good old mouse is absolutely not suitable to do something... it makes things look like crap ^^'

Guess I'll train more with paper, pencil and gum before doing serious stuff on PC.
Also, compared to the Shuu Photoshop drawing I made, this one looks like total shit *searches for a spot to hide*
The time frame is way different as well... less than an hour vs. a whole day for inking alone

For the ones who aren't afraid of ugly art... this is it:
Old 2006-02-18, 16:29   Link #17
Katzfiel
Soulless

they are actually pretty good keep it up
and to the guy with the berserk pic...
it came out pretty good exept that the closed eye is in the wrong direction :P
Katzfiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 14:08   Link #18
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Time for a new one ^^
Made at work 'again' (don't worry... I do work too)

Hmm ... I tried to draw an angry Naruto: up to you to decide if it's the case.
Basically this is a scrap for something I've in my head since a few days.

I want to draw a Naruto, really angry, in Akatsuki outfit, looking down on a terrified Sasuke. Behind Naruto would be Kyuubi, looking at Sasuke as if he'd kill him on the spot. Guess that will be one after I've done a lot of practice ^^'

Don't get me wrong... I'm not anti-Sasuke. I like him too, but I'm not as fond of him as I'm of Naruto. Just the idea of making him feel rejected, like he did to Naruto and Sakura in the manga

Oh well ... we'll see how the skill evolves ^^'
Old 2006-03-14, 11:24   Link #19
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Little try-out on Art-Pad ^^'

http://artpad.art.com/?iw4l73ghn7w
Old 2006-03-26, 10:27   Link #20
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

There's a thread about ideas for a new outfit for Naruto in the Naruto forum, so I wanted to give it a try. I finally finished it ^^

Jiraiya influenced Naruto somehow for his new outfit...
He wears more traditional clothes and got the same jacket as Jiraiya, as he likes his sensei so much for learning him cool jutsu's.
Orange is his preferred colour, so he can't miss it, that why the hem of his shirt is orange and the little decoration on his katana as well.
The rest of his outfit is dark blue, which suits perfectly for doing missions. You can't deny that with an orange jumpsuit at night, you're asking to be detected by hostile ninjas.

Spoiler:
Should remote linking not work, check it out at http://hoshimaru.deviantart.com/

So... what do you think? Is it better or worse than his jumpsuit ?
All comments are welcome (^_^)

Yeah, I forgot the Konoha symbol on his headband and I should've added the Uzumaki logo somewhere.