AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2009-11-30, 08:22   Link #161
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
idk what it means exactly but it definaly has something to do with black turning white. (ichigo's skin/shinigami clothes)

it could also have something to do with him getting picked on for not having black hair in the first few episodes/chapters
Old 2009-12-01, 10:01   Link #162
Averex

I can't believe no one has found the answer to this yet. Here is the reason:

The title wasn't called bleach when Kubo decided to draw the manga. Rukia originally had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe (as in "Sniper"). Right before he started drawing, he began to think that a sword would be better and realized he couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. He began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Shinigami are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

That's the reason. It's from an interview with Tite Kubo that was featured in a November issue of Shonen Jump. A quick search in google should have helped you all find the answer. It's also on the page for bleach in the bleach wikia. Anyway this thread can be closed now.
Averex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 10:22   Link #163
Haak
F**k my life...

^ Er yes, we already know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
We have an answer.

Thanks to Jaina's interview with Kubo you can find in the latest Anime Insider

"Is there a reason the manga is called Bleach, or is that a secret?"

KT: The Soul Reaper-the color that you associate with the Soul Reaper is black. But "black" is too straightforward. So I thought about "white," but just white is too simple. So if you put "bleach," somebody can associate that with white. So that's how Bleach came.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 10:24   Link #164
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Its pretty pointless despite KT himself giving the reason . People will go on and on like a broken record without bothering to read .
Old 2009-12-02, 04:50   Link #165
kitten320

KT description of the reason isn't the best one either. Shinigami are black and yet he caled it Bleach aka white...
Old 2009-12-02, 05:11   Link #166
Haak
F**k my life...

Kubo likes making twists for sole purpose of them being twists. That's why he's not particularly good at them.
Old 2009-12-02, 07:44   Link #167
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

There is some culltural confusion here . Color of Mourning or Death is represented by WHITE in eastern cultures . So color of mourning in Japan is WHITE and not black as we are used to .

On a side not I should know I have done a paper/presentation on Color Symbolism .

Source (scroll to white)

Old 2009-12-02, 12:37   Link #168
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
maybe is related to the SOUL PURIFICATION, yes the bad souls that you have to "clean" it first so it becomes good again before you send it to Hueco Mundo, almost the same way you wash you dirty clothes before you put them in your dresser?

& you clean them using Bleach, the most effective soap ever (?)
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 02:36   Link #169
Averex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
^ Er yes, we already know...
Ok so then why are you all still wondering about this if you already know; which is a question you could have easily answered instead of just making things confusing with your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
KT description of the reason isn't the best one either. Shinigami are black and yet he caled it Bleach aka white...
Shinigami are associated with the color black, but Kubo figured it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

I can keep posting the answer if you'd like.

The answer has been posted more than once but yet like Zu Ra said, you all are still going on and on like a broken record. In my opinion further discussion in this thread is pointless now and should be closed.

Last edited by Averex; 2009-12-05 at 03:00.
Old 2009-12-05, 11:41   Link #170
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averex View Post
Ok so then why are you all still wondering about this if you already know; which is a question you could have easily answered instead of just making things confusing with your statement.
I would've thought it was pretty damn obvious but if you really need me to tell you then well, fine....

Spoiler for obvious:
Old 2009-12-05, 12:29   Link #171
SMASHERJACKSON

its due to engrish [srs]

bleach = breach

as in hollows have breached dimensions in2 human world etc

my theory anyway.

kt is jus trying to make an excuse for his engrish
SMASHERJACKSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 11:19   Link #172
Averex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would've thought it was pretty damn obvious but if you really need me to tell you then well, fine....

for the lulz.
Ah ok then; I did consider that but the answers people were giving made it seem like they really were trying to figure out why it was called bleach, so I wasn't sure. Alright I'll shut up now.
Old 2009-12-06, 11:21   Link #173
Haak
F**k my life...

Well I suppose it is wise to have a reminder every page for good measure...
Old 2010-01-01, 07:28   Link #174
Nostalgia
We're so far gone

Send a message via Yahoo to Nostalgia
I'll just go on thinking he's a big Nirvana fan, it's cooler that way, since I like Nirvana too. Oh a Bleach AMV with Nirvana would be rock'n.
Old 2010-02-18, 19:56   Link #175
RyuukenIsshin

From page 7:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachlover View Post
u noe.......i really think that it is that the hair is bleached cus like theres LOADS of characters who have strange coloured hair:
1. Ichigo
2. Renji
3. Hitsuguya
4. Grimmjow
5. Yachiru
6. Slyazel (i THINK thats how u spell it?)
7. Jinta
8. Ichimaru
9. Nel
10. Ukitake
11. Mayuri (apparently hes got blue hair)

so there ya go..... more than 10 characters from bleach do have random coloured hair!
plz tell me if i missed any!
Jinta and Renji- red hair, likely associated with an auburnish tint in brown/black hair, not unheard of in japan.
Hitsuguya- his nickname was "whitey" likely some kind of shock he went through young to make it go white, like Ukitake as well.
I'm sure there are reasons behind all the other strange coloured hair as well
RyuukenIsshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 22:27   Link #176
onionheadplz

If I not mistaken, it's called Bleach because the soul reapers cleanse the spirits souls, like "bleaching".

EDIT

You know how bleach removes stains and blemishes? Well the shinigami remove sin and corruption from the souls.
onionheadplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 22:45   Link #177
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
There is some culltural confusion here . Color of Mourning or Death is represented by WHITE in eastern cultures . So color of mourning in Japan is WHITE and not black as we are used to .

On a side not I should know I have done a paper/presentation on Color Symbolism .

Source (scroll to white)

I don't think that's true anymore. Japan has adopted a lot of Western customs over the years. White hasn't been commonly used for mourning in Japan since the nineteenth century. There are still some white used, especially in Shinto, but most Japanese funerals are Buddhist and the currently common colours of a mourning kimono are black with white accents, just like what the Shinigami wear in Bleach.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 02:10   Link #178
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

With reference to Soul Society yes ... With reference to thread ,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
We have an answer.

Thanks to Jaina's interview with Kubo you can find in the latest Anime Insider

"Is there a reason the manga is called Bleach, or is that a secret?"

KT: The Soul Reaper-the color that you associate with the Soul Reaper is black. But "black" is too straightforward. So I thought about "white," but just white is too simple. So if you put "bleach," somebody can associate that with white. So that's how Bleach came.
Old 2011-11-06, 00:09   Link #179
JuMbLecLoWn_38

Another theory we could come up with, is when we focus on the storyline ,including all that goes thru each season..

The story tends to delve on the concepts of dilemmas and controversies of existentialism, drama, pride, principles, and even friendship. Then the author would later on attempt to bleach (or clarify) the predicaments thru various means, battles, words, flashbacks, character histories, role personalities,and more panoramic examples. Perhaps this is also the Author's outlet or way of extinguishing his personal blues/ views/ experiences. Thus it is this "bleach" that would most relate or catch most of the viewer's attention.
JuMbLecLoWn_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 05:14   Link #180
Kallen4life

Spoiler for true answer:
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote