AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-03, 16:49   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Mplayer fullscreen on second Monitor (dual)

I am wondering, using mplayer, how can one fullscreen it on the second monitor when using a dual setup. Usually all I do is drag the video player over to the second screen and then fullscreen it over there and it works - but when doing it with mplayer, I get a green screen. Fullscreen with it won't even work. What's up?

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 16:59   Link #2
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Maybe you should change to BSPlayer, Winamp, or Media Player.

I know for certain that all of these can be drug across to another monitor [ which in my case is a 27 inch TV ^_^ ] and maximized without issue.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 21:35   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Komataguri's advice is the way to go - it sounds like mplayer doesn't support dual-monitor properly. Neither did Winamp, until a few recent versions ago. If you really like mplayer, drop the developers a message that you'd like better support for dual-monitor displays, and just keep an eye out for better dual support in the changelogs of new versions.

When I come home, I use dual monitors as well. It really makes me appreciate having a player where the video screen is detached from the controls - I don't know if mplayer is like this, but Zoomplayer, BSplayer, and Winamp are like this. Winamp is generally not recommended for use as a general player (though I've used it for quite a while without any problems). BSplayer is what I use, but recommending it will net me negative reputation; it works well as a player, but there are some strange things in its coding regarding how it handles... what was it, some external handling. Zoomplayer is all good, and my player of choice to switch to.

I don't believe Media Player has a detached video window and control window interface. If it works on dual monitors, though, you may want to consider looking into it.
Old 2006-01-03, 21:56   Link #4
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Theres nothing wrong with winamp.

It plays everything I throw at it except for .mkv and the h.264/x.264 codecs. I use media player classic for those.
Old 2006-01-03, 22:05   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Winamp is perfectly capable of playing .mkv and .ogm, actually. By default, it's set to reject those filetypes. Here's how to enable support for it:

(Note that these instructions are for the Winamp 5 series; it may also work on Winamp versions 2 and 3, but I'm creating this guidelines based off of Winamp 5)
1. Access the Winamp Preferences (shortcut Ctrl+P)
2. Click on Plugins > Input. You should see a list of "Input plug-ins"; find "Nullsoft Directshow Decoder v#.## [in_dshow.dll]" and select it.
3. Click Configure. A box of file associations should appear. By default you should see these associations: MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;ASF;WMV
Simply add OGM and MKV to that list. Your new files association list should look like this:
MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;ASF;WMV;OGM;MKV

Hit OK, and exit the preferences. Winamp will no longer reject OGM and MKV files.

I haven't tried using Winamp to play h.264 encodes. Theoretically, if you have h.264 support on another player through something universal (such as CCCP) then you should be able to have playback of h.264 encodes in Winamp too.

BTW, nice avatar, Komataguri.
Old 2006-01-03, 22:09   Link #6
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Winamp is perfectly capable of playing .mkv and .ogm, actually. By default, it's set to reject those filetypes. Here's how to enable support for it:

(Note that these instructions are for the Winamp 5 series; it may also work on Winamp versions 2 and 3, but I'm creating this guidelines based off of Winamp 5)
1. Access the Winamp Preferences (shortcut Ctrl+P)
2. Click on Plugins > Input. You should see a list of "Input plug-ins"; find "Nullsoft Directshow Decoder v#.## [in_dshow.dll]" and select it.
3. Click Configure. A box of file associations should appear. By default you should see these associations: MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;ASF;WMV
Simply add OGM and MKV to that list. Your new files association list should look like this:
MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;ASF;WMV;OGM;MKV

Hit OK, and exit the preferences. Winamp will no longer reject OGM and MKV files.

I haven't tried using Winamp to play h.264 encodes. Theoretically, if you have h.264 support on another player through something universal (such as CCCP) then you should be able to have playback of h.264 encodes in Winamp too.

BTW, nice avatar, Komataguri.

For some reason it dosn't tho, x.264 encodes with a .mp4 wrapper don't play right in it, I'll try adding .mp4 to that list as well and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip

And I like your avatar to, any symbolic reason for the blindfolded girl?

EDIT

hahaha!

adding .mp4 to that list lets winamp play those x.264 files in a .mp4 wrapper.

Hahah, this is great! Thanks mate!!!
Old 2006-01-04, 08:38   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I was quite a fan of BSPlayer in the early days, until my recent issues with it and being surrounded by negative comments about it. I use CCCP and it seems they don't quite support it. I'll check out Zoomplayer. Mplayer just handled H.264 better, with other players there is slight lag when a mass of onscreen text is present.

Also, VLC works as a dual-player, and is reccomended for anything non-H.264 (is it still in beta for supporting that?). You drag the player video over to your second screen, maximize it, and then drag the controls back over to your first screen. It works like a charm, really.

EDIT; BSPlayer seems to work even better Seems CCCP works correctly with it, too.

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison

Last edited by ChibiDusk; 2006-01-04 at 08:55.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 09:19   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Well... since I'm the CCCP person responsible for most of the BSPlayer hate, I feel I have to defend my opinion here. Last time I tested BSPlayer, it did NOT work properly without a series of rather specific tweaks. Of course, it might have improved since then... anyway, this article describes the issues we were having with it: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...title=BSPlayer Not documented there is the funny quirk that once you break it you can't unbreak it without reinstalling it. That also seems to be the case with some settings; once you turn them on you can't turn them off again without reinstalling the player.

As for Winamp, it kinda works, but didn't do DTS properly last time we tested it. It's also impossible to do certain stream manipulations in it IIRC.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2006-01-04 at 09:30.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 16:17   Link #9
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
I am trying to setup a Dual Display setup but I want to ask some questions.
Can I setup a dual display with a Integrated Video card and an AGP Card ?
If yes how do I do this ? (I will search google but still answer I want to have a range of answers)

Thanks
Old 2006-01-07, 17:02   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Can I setup a dual display with a Integrated Video card and an AGP Card ?
If yes how do I do this ? (I will search google but still answer I want to have a range of answers)
I have very limited experience with integrated graphics systems, and even less with systems carrying two graphics cards. Assuming that the integrated graphics don't shut off once a graphics card is put into the system, you should be able to handle the displays through Windows' Display manager. What would happen is, on the final tab, you'd see two screens. If you click on one, you can select settings for it, including which graphics chip controls it. Click the other, and set the other graphics chip to control that one. If you want to have even more customization over dual (or even more) displays, you can use external programs. I have one I use with my laptop, but the name slipped my mind; if you're interested, I'll get it for you in another reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
And I like your avatar to, any symbolic reason for the blindfolded girl?

EDIT

hahaha!

adding .mp4 to that list lets winamp play those x.264 files in a .mp4 wrapper.

Hahah, this is great! Thanks mate!!!
The basic symbolism behind a blindfolded girl/person is justice (at least, it is to me: I'm from New York; we have two women for our state symbol, one of whom is blindfolded and has the judging scales). Remove the notion of justice, and I only care to keep the concept of being non-judgemental. I guess you could dig farther, too, but I'd be pulling things out; I don't really put too much thought into my avatars. I chose the blindfolded one in my profile one time, and I've been on a trend of blindfolded girls ever since (this greyish-blindfolded one is my third). Though speaking of avatars, I think I've mentioned it to you already, but yours is just mesmerizing. Something about catgirls and an explosive chest...

Glad to hear that your Winamp stuff worked, and it's also good to know that Winamp can handle the h.264 encodes.
Old 2006-01-07, 20:16   Link #11
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I have very limited experience with integrated graphics systems, and even less with systems carrying two graphics cards. Assuming that the integrated graphics don't shut off once a graphics card is put into the system, you should be able to handle the displays through Windows' Display manager. What would happen is, on the final tab, you'd see two screens. If you click on one, you can select settings for it, including which graphics chip controls it. Click the other, and set the other graphics chip to control that one. If you want to have even more customization over dual (or even more) displays, you can use external programs. I have one I use with my laptop, but the name slipped my mind; if you're interested, I'll get it for you in another reply.
I will be glad to accept the program, and yes my mother board shut off the integrated card when I inserted me FX 52000 into it. DO you know of anyway to enable the integrated card ? I will go mess around in the BIOS and see if I get it to turn on. But stilll see what you can do though.
Thanks.
Old 2006-01-09, 17:53   Link #12
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well I messed around in my BIOS and found notthing but if anyone if you all know how to activate the inactive integrated videocard feel free to tell me. Its either I do that or I buy a cheap Video card as my secondary card for dual screens.
Old 2006-01-09, 22:10   Link #13
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Your video card should have dual outputs, one for HD-15 (blue) and one for DVI (white). DVI is the newer type, whereas HD-15 is the traditional one. If both monitors are DVI or HD-15, you're out of luck, of course. I don't believe converters exist but it'd be worth checking, at the very least.

Otherwise, Google like crazy to see how to enable it, or to see if it's even possible.
Old 2006-01-10, 21:40   Link #14
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well unfortunately the integrated and the FX5200 both have the HD-15. So I guess I will search google like mad however will another Video Card work if it has HD-15 ?
Old 2006-01-11, 20:35   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

HD-15 or DVI alone don't matter, what matters are your monitors. If your monitors support both outputs, then you don't need to worry. If you have a monitor that only supports DVI, you're screwed. I think that most monitors that support DVI would also have HD-15, athough the inverse doesn't hold true.
Old 2006-01-11, 20:42   Link #16
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Ahhh I see well I already ordered a small nice cheap card for about 28 USD.
Old 2006-01-12, 17:18   Link #17
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
With OSX using the macosx output you'd do something like this:
"mplayer -vo macosx:device_id=1 video.avi"
With Unix you'd propably use:
"mplayer -xineramascreen 1 video.avi"
For Windows I couldn't find any specific options except for
"improved monitor selection in the DirectX video output driver"
in the 1.0pre7 changelog. ^^'
Old 2006-01-27, 19:02   Link #18
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Ok well I got my second VID card its only 64 MB VRAM but it is good enough and now that I have the two monitors working can you all reccomend some ways to take FULL advantage of them becuase it was originaaly for photoshopping and 3D Modeling I got the 2nd monitor but when I am not doing those things I would like to take more advantge over the 2 monitors.

Like can I have 2 different types of desktop backgrounds on each monitor and could I get the taskbar streched all the way to the other end of the 2nd monitor ? Stuff lik this I want to know.

Thanks.
Old 2006-01-28, 15:03   Link #19
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well I figured out most of the stuff in the above post I made but where can I get some nice anime dual screen wallpapers ? or should I make my own ? And also I cannot get Wmediaplayer and zooplayer to stretch accross the 2 monitors how do I enable this ?
Old 2006-01-28, 19:26   Link #20
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Here's the program I mentioned to you before: ultramon. Benefits are that you can easily select monitor "positioning" (decides what side and area of the screen the mouse will jump to the other monitor - particularly useful if one monitor is above or below the other in your line of view, instead of side by side), it can stretch your task bar to the other monitor, you can choose individual wallpapers and screensavers, it adds buttons to either stretch a program across both (or more) monitors and to send another program to the other monitor, and so on. I highly recommend it as a monitor manager for multiple monitors.

I don't think you'll easily be able to get the video to stretch across both, if at all. Even when I used a single graphics card to handle both monitors, having the screen stretched just resulted in blackness for the video on the second monitor. In your case, you're using each monitor on an entirely different card.

Uses for dual monitors in my case: Using multiple instances of web browsers, using Excel and Word consecutively, mutlitasking between mIRC and web browsing and/or other activities. For watching videos, unless you use a video player that integrates the viewing screen with the controls, you can keep the controls on one monitor and fullscreen the video window on the other. In keeping with that, you can also have the video playing on one monitor while doing things on the other.

The possibilities are endless, but it's a bit of a pain to get some programs to play nicely. Photoshop CS1 doesn't handle dual monitors properly - due to the palettes, it doesn't transfer everything over to the second monitor, and things like the eyedrop tool don't properly work outside of the monitor that the program is running from. You'll figure things out as you go and experiment.