AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-10, 05:15   Link #21
SSS
Suki Suki Sia-chan ^Q^

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman
I haven't played extensively with it yet, but Xine-lib's H.264 support code seems pretty robust from what little (key word here) I've done with it. I haven't played with GStreamer that much, though I've had the best luck with it on my anime screening fleet.
How you know Xine-lib's h264 support code robust?
Xine-lib's h264.c (Sun Oct 23 02:11:41 2005 UTC)
ffmpeg h264.c ( 2006 UTC (30 hours, 34 minutes ago))
My mplayer build is using the latest CVS of libavcodec code too.

Xine-lib actually based on ffmpeg libavcodec, as well as all the player you mentioned in previous post too.
SSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 21:52   Link #22
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS
How you know Xine-lib's h264 support code robust?
Xine-lib's h264.c (Sun Oct 23 02:11:41 2005 UTC)
ffmpeg
h264.c
( 2006 UTC (30 hours, 34 minutes ago))
My mplayer build is using the latest CVS of libavcodec code too.

Xine-lib actually based on ffmpeg libavcodec, as well as all the player you mentioned in previous post too.
I didn't say it was robust. I said it SEEMED robust, but then again, I tend to view primarly XviD-encoded content because my machines appear to have difficulty playing H.264 at a reasonable speed.

I did do a test play of one of Lunar's H.264 encodes of a Bleach episode for a good 20 minutes or so without ill effect, though that was the GStreamer code, which also likely uses the libavcodec codebase on the decoding, while it uses x264 for encoding. Though that's likely not a really good-enough test. Plus GStreamer seemed to fare better than xine-lib did on my main anime screening box, a Pentium III 933 (not my fastest by any means; it's just the box I use strictly for on-site anime screenings). However, GStreamer has a raft of issues of its own best saved for another thread.

Another thing that bears noting is that ffdshow also uses libavcodec for its own H.264 decoding. I'm presently using a more recent Celtic Druid build than of Milan's most recent, but I haven't played enough H.264 to comment on its robustness. However, I'm of the opinion that it's a bit soon to go whole hog into H.264 since a lot of the code still seems to still need work. Feel free to disagree if you so wish.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 22:19   Link #23
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Celtic_Druid doesn't have a later build than Milan. CD's latest is 20051103, Milan's is 20051129.

Also, you can use CoreAVC for most H.264 files. It's newer and doesn't support as many features as libavcodec, but it plays most of the H.264 files I have.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 23:07   Link #24
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere
Celtic_Druid doesn't have a later build than Milan. CD's latest is 20051103, Milan's is 20051129.

Also, you can use CoreAVC for most H.264 files. It's newer and doesn't support as many features as libavcodec, but it plays most of the H.264 files I have.
Okay, I may be using bob0r's build, then. The one I'm using is labeled 20051221, GCC 4.0.2 build.

Managed to locate a build of CoreAVC (had to do some looking for it and since it's a bare decoder, i.e. no installer, some regsvr32 magic had to be done) and tried it with TCMP. It runs like a champ, and it's considerably faster than ffdshow. Had some brief weirdness with MPC, but that seems to have fixed itself. Thanks so much for that tip! The only real gripe is that there's no source, which is a shame because I'd love kickass-fast code like this for my Linux players. *sigh* Ah well, such is life, I s'pose.

Also, I've heard rumors that the XviD devs will be releasing their AVC offering "soonish". Any good word on that?

--Ian.

Last edited by IRJustman; 2006-01-13 at 01:05.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 08:45   Link #25
DaFool
Resident devil

I'm still a newb regarding H264...just curious, is there a one-stop standalone package that when installed enables a program (such as animation software) to output in the format?

Can I expect something simple as like with Xvid, since it's open source anyway, I just google for the latest build, when that's installed, the animation software will display a new video output option?

What I found is that the websites hosting X264 builds, is, should I say, less professional. I am not sure where to start. Do you folks even use H264, or instead X264? I am not an encoder by the way, though I have encoded some Xvid files out of hobby. At work, we stick to .TGA's and uncompressed quicktime .mov (hehe, lol)

Well, yeah, I guess it depends on the animation software. And everytime I install a newer version of quicktime I'm surprised at the new compressing options...haven't checked for h264 yet.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-01-25 at 09:03.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 10:42   Link #26
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well it's not as simple as xvid or DivX, it doesn't suck either, but if your not a huge fan of ffdshow I wouldn't make it my top choice...As my user-titles suggests I particularly like Divx over it and really love the fansubbers who give you a choice between DivX and h264...From what 've read it really doesn't make encoders jobs any easier, I actual hear it's more tedious...Basically I guess they're doing it to make dl-times faster for fans...So if you wanna encode using it IMO it doesn't totally trump xvid or Divx coded files...But you'll have to judge for yourself...
Old 2006-01-25, 11:19   Link #27
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Do you folks even use H264, or instead X264?
x264 is a H.264 encoder, just like XviD and DivX are MPEG4-ASP encoders.

Quote:
I'm still a newb regarding H264...just curious, is there a one-stop standalone package that when installed enables a program (such as animation software) to output in the format?
There is a VfW version of x264 that should enable you to use it like XviD, but H.264 via VfW is pretty evil and the VfW version lags behind the commandline interface version.

This CLI version of x264 is pretty much the standard way to encode H.264 with x264 (which I think is considered to be the best H.264 encoder, except maybe for Ateme). People who don't like CLI can use one of multiple frontends, like MeGUI which is included in the standard package of Sharktooth' x264 build.

I guess there is no way to integrate the CLI into your animation program, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
From what 've read it really doesn't make encoders jobs any easier, I actual hear it's more tedious...
With most quality enhancing options enabled x264 indeed is quite slow, but considering the PSNR/fps ratio at faster settings, it is still be better and faster than XviD. Take a look at this chart.

Quote:
IMO it doesn't totally trump xvid or Divx coded files
Of course it does, but I don't really want to argue about this point, as that has been done before, right?

Last edited by Jekyll; 2006-01-25 at 11:43.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 12:42   Link #28
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Yeah I've come to accept it ...No use arguing over the inevitable...It does seem the shift to h264 may indeed be becoming a revolution, but I'll go to my grave believing that h264 is only better when it comes to producing lower-sized files (especially fansubs)...I have finally seen enuff to realize that(although without DivX-filters I can't tell you how many 170mbs and under fansubs I would never watch)...but when it comes to files that are 230+mbs (Fansubs and especially DVD-rips) Divx simply does the job IMHO...ffdshow seems to me like an encoders or producers tool, not a veiwers tool (How many veiwers are changing the luminosity gamma saturation output? )...It is more efficient and easier to simply change your filter and color settings within DivX and your actual media player to get optimum visual satisfaction (To you--which is what's most important I think)...