AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: What battle was the epitome of the CE era.
Strike Vs Aegis: Final Duel 79 56.43%
Freedom Vs. Providence 39 27.86%
Freedom Vs. Impulse 16 11.43%
Strike Freedom Vs. Legend 2 1.43%
Infinite Justice Vs. Impulse [ Luna Maria ] 0 0%
Infinite Justice Vs. Destiny 4 2.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-08-22, 20:41   Link #61
tritoch

Oh yeah. Mwu vs Rau inside the colony. That battle was also fun.

Druggies vs Freedom and Justice on Earth. Loved how they escaped into space and such.
Old 2006-08-22, 21:09   Link #62
kiramuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Thats all very nice, but as far as i remember Aegis went boom taking surrounding mountains with it, not tried to melt away Strike with hight temperature. If the flight suits of CE can protect pilots from an explosion that obliterates mountains why the heck they dont build MS from that stuff.
Yeah but I also remember from EP 31 that the Strike is for the most part intact after that explosion so obviously the brunt force of the pressure wave must've been absorbed by the MS itself. Only the intense heat from the explosion manage to do damage to the seat's cushion by melting it.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 22:46   Link #63
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

I'm all for Freedom vs. Providence then followed by Aegis vs. Strike.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 23:54   Link #64
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Freedom vs. Providence was badass. Wasn't big on the Strike vs. Aegis fight as even though it had nice tension, it reminded me too much of some "go BERSERK" crap outta Evangelion...

Had the Destiny battles actually been done like the SEED ones, there could've been some for the record books there...Freedom vs. Saviour could've been so sweet (I'm a Kira fan and even I know that was a cop-out), Freedom vs. Impulse was plot device and Kira didn't even really try (by his own admission), so that's shot to hell. Akatsuki vs. Destiny could've been awesome AND pushed Cagalli up a bit, but noooo....so we get Strike Freedom vs. Destiny, which is one of my favorite fights in Destiny but still wasn't much of a "duel" and over way too quickly.

But unfortunately, they didn't take the time to really do it up like they did in SEED. Oh yeah, and I would've LOVED to see Akatsuki Shiranui take on Legend, although Rey would've probably gotten schooled by Mwu beng that Legend's main offense got completely nerfed by Akatsuki. Hell, Gilbert jumping in a Gundam to fight Kira himself a la Rau would've been more interesting than what we got...
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 00:11   Link #65
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon
Hell, Gilbert jumping in a Gundam to fight Kira himself a la Rau would've been more interesting than what we got...
Oh, just what we need. CHAR vs. KIRA, the duel to end all duels

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 01:55   Link #66
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Hey, that would actually be a pretty good fight, I think. The battle to see who has the stronger character shield, ha ha.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 04:54   Link #67
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
I'd have to say Freedom Vs Providence, no matter how I liked the overpoweredness of S Destiny suits.

The fight had plenty of meaning to it. The guy that lost hope for all humanity and thinks they should just destroy each other versus the guy who, despite all the terrible wars humans went through, still believed that mankind has hope and will give the world a chance. It was the most desperate struggle out of all the fights - although Strike Vs Aegis was pretty full on, the only meaning behind it was that they were just really really mad at each other.
However, Rau killed Fllay, which also pissed Kira off, and seeing him react to that was cool and begin to take out the Dragoons one by one.

The dialogue of the fight really added to the fire. The Strike Vs Aegis fight was merely just "KIRRAAAAAAAAA!!!" and "ATHRUUUUUUUUNNN!!!" where as Kira Vs Rau, they were exchanging ideals and challenging each other's point of view as well as piloting skills. Also, the victor BARELY made it, with only the MS torso and leg remaining (or something like that) which indicates truely a hard battle, even though Strike Vs Aegis destroyed each other in a stalemate, there was still little meaning to the battle in comparison to Free Vs Prov.

Compared to Freedom Vs Impulse, well, we all knew the plot had Kira hold back and lose to Shinn cause of his no kills policy and the upgrade to Strike Freedom.

∞ Justice Vs Destiny came up short too - all it meant was one guy putting the other guy in his place and stop his bitching.

Strike Freedom Vs Legend - tried to reincarnate Freedom vs Prov, but came up short. Whether or not Kira opened his mouth, Legend would've been taken down eventually since it lost more dragoons.

∞ Justice Vs Impulse - this fight was a joke. All that fight meant to me was 'move bitch get out the way'
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 07:37   Link #68
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

I voted for Strike vs Aegis
I liked the intensity of the battle and it also showed that Athrun was on par with Kira and that even he could surpass Kira
Freedom vs Providence would be second I find it quite weird to have Raw outmatch Kira so easily and Kira making such a comeback I think it was the atmosphere itself that made the combat more appealing : Raw who believes that humanity should be wiped out only has hatred for humankind whereas Kira believes in humankind it's like Hope vs Hatred (not sure if I'm using the right words lol)
Freedom vs Impulse
It really shows that Kira was really holding back his "no kill" and his strategy against enemy suit being "discovered" (that's pretty obvious for us but Rey had to analyze Freedom's battle data to figure that out ) and also the fact that he didn't even bother going SEED mode while Shin went SEED to defeat him I might sound unfair or even sound like a Kira fanboy but Impulse having spare parts didn't make the battle that good, strategy wise I have to say it was quite good of him to sacrifice some parts of his gundam knowing that he had replacements I would have wanted something more intense even if Impulse got damaged the pilot suffered no injury while Kira's Freedom was "impalled" and got blown up only to have the cockpit remaining and the pilot seriously injured. Having Kira go SEED mode and at least make Kira damage the enemy pilot like what he did to Yzak
That battle just showed us a fleeing Kira with no real intention of fighting and a happy Shin defeating the one who killed his loved one still I find it weird that Shin never bothered with what Stellar did to Heine and the numerous victims who died at her hands while she piloted Gaia and afterwards Destroy .
And Kira had to loose the plot required his loss because they needed a way to introduce Strike Freedom so let's make it original they thought "let's simply have Impulse crush Freedom using some kind of strategy and also not to anger the Kira fanboys out there he won't die and later we'll add that he was holding back"
Strike Freedom vs Legend
It was like a rip off of Freedom vs Providence except that it ended quickly and in Kira's favor I didn't find that battle interesting
∞ Justice vs Impulse
We knew the outcome of that battle Lunamaria never had a chance to begin with it was like 'You're wasting my time" battle
∞ Justice vs Destiny
again another "boring" battle
Athrun just set Shin back at his place obviously another plot requirement we can't have Destiny on the loose because that would be odd if ORB managed to destroy Requiem and Messiah with Destiny around so to make ZAFT's defeat total let's deprive them of their aces Legend and Destiny and Impulse lol
zgmf-x19a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 05:50   Link #69
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
I voted for impulse vs freedom for the fact that it showed that kira was not unbeatable. I mean kira has been achieving his god-like status for like lets see starting from ep 35 of seed all the way to ep 34 of destiny. And finally he is defeated yay!... nah actually the reason why i thought it was cool was probably the way shinn switched impulse parts to beat kira. Pure genius(although it was used from V gundam, but admit it, none of you saw that coming at least from the preview).

And I was puzzled as to why the Luna vs Athrun fight is in the poll. Thats like the most irrelavent battle of all. Luna should have stayed out of his way for she knows that her puny impulse + the no seed mode of hers will definitely be pawned(thank god shinn came back to save her from humiliation)...

my 2nd vote would go to strike vs aegis. It would have won my vote if there were more lightsaber clashes. IMO, the aegis wasn't sort of a dueling MS to start with. I rather Athrun got duel. At least he would have Light sabers to clash with kira with. Also. the Scenes weren't flowing very well and it felt sort of anti-climatic to sort of pause after each dmg to a suit was done. The reason why I still would have voted for this is the realism in this battle. The self-destruction and all was a very good idea by the producers.

Note: Maybe not really the correct place to post this part but after watching destiny I had lots of "What ifs" coming into my mind. What happened if Kira had actually died in ep 34? And lets say eternal shot the pods(note no strike freedom coz assume that freedom destroyed no frame to produce strike freedom) to earth and Lacus was in one of the pods and Eternal explodes. Then When Athrun escapes Shinn stops ray and gets into prison and Luna helps him escape in destiny. Muahaha I would really have wanted to watch something like that. Ray using Legend owns ORB(should show Ray becoming some god-like evil character with an ability to use the Draggons on earth[Yes u heard right I rather they made draggoons deployable on earth]). Cagalli gonna get owned and Shinn in destiny rescues her. Athrun is still the lost fella and lacus try to say some inspirational stuff to him. Then Ray vs Shinn. Shinn over-utilizes power and almost gets owned by ray until Athrun in justice comes out. I would like to see something like that. And maybe just maybe Dulindal making a clone of shinn as the final boss(since ray is a clone why not shinn as well? Besides, I am sure they could modify the genes to make the clone grow at an immediate rate). Well pretty crazy story huh? But really I thought the destiny would have been a better show if they concentrated on better character development and feelings instead of just churning out new mobile suits to aid bandai in sales.
cyw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 07:58   Link #70
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyw1988
I voted for impulse vs freedom for the fact that it showed that kira was not unbeatable. I mean kira has been achieving his god-like status for like lets see starting from ep 35 of seed all the way to ep 34 of destiny. And finally he is defeated yay!... nah actually the reason why i thought it was cool was probably the way shinn switched impulse parts to beat kira. Pure genius(although it was used from V gundam, but admit it, none of you saw that coming at least from the preview).
To be honest I think every single human being writing in here foresaw how Shinn would use Impulse to beat Kira.

Strike vs AEGIS and Freedom vs Providence are my favourite one on one fights. But for battles I think the first battle of Orb is on a different level in all of Gundam that Ive seen. Superbly done. Everything from prelude to the aftermath. Also counting in the music. Superb pieces like Kouhoushien.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 06:05   Link #71
MooMooFarm

Personally, I think fighting in Gundam is equivalent to fighting in DBZ/Sailor Moon/Inuyasha/etc but with that Gundam-esque quality to it. Every fight is purely driven by the build up/exchange of words/plot. There is rarely a point where you go "holy crap, that felt like a real fight"....if EVER.

However, I think the Strike vs Aegis is clearly obvious. The fight had easily the biggest advantages albeit one point to make it the best fight in the GS/GSD series.

1. Rivalry build up - self-explanatory and explained by everyone else.

2. The gundams can break - See GSD fights with Infinite Justice and Strike Freedom. Personally I hate important fights where the gundams start looking like god damn Megazords. And someone even pointed out Akatsuki was made out of god's piss or something due to how ridiculous it was.

3. The two gundams were unique at that point - While Strike clearly had more utility, both pilots used their rather unique gundams to full potential. Nearly every weapon/utility/device was used/countered/trashed/etc. Do I see Strike Freedom doing something special with his fin funnels? No. Do I see Akatsuki do something special with his shiny armour? No. Do I see Destiny do something then stick his giant sword in cannon fodder? Not really. Innovation and originality is key. No one likes repeating animation sequences.

4. The fight was early in the series - this is a HUGE factor which should've made been a disadvantage, yet ultimately indirectly made it better. Fact is, Providence vs Freedom didn't cut it, and when people look back, they will go how the appetizer was tastier then the main course. The main course has expectations, and when not met, it will be critisized without mercy. Conversely, the appetizer is not meant to be remembered, but will be due to it standing out even in such a minor role over the course of a meal. Ok, I have no idea how I turned this into a god damn talk about eating, but you guys get the crappy metaphor or mumbo jumbo right?

I mean, seriously, you got Swiss Army Knife Gundam vs Crab Suicide Gundam doing a decent job, where-as well, I got to say, Megazord W/ Lots Of Guns Gundam wasn't very utilized at all. And well, Rau did a good job with his "Ultimate Gundam" Providence even though if you look at it, it's a frigging TURTLE SHELL WITH FIN FUNNELS ATTACHED TO IT. The guy pulled a miracle out of his behind being able to not suck and get laughed at. Kira? Sorry, the guy was built up well during the pre-Andy/Andy parts, but otherwise, the guy was basically "Hi, I'm a prodigy turned Jesus".

But well, you guys gotta understand: Gundam is NOT about fighting. If you think the fights in gundam are anything more then flash and show, you've never watched slow battles. Shows like Initial D or Hajime No Ippo show true detail to a "battling" event, which is where they draw viewers. Gundam? Draws alot from Murrue-like characters bouncing ( Notice how the characters get skimpier and skimpier? ), flashy Gundams which are basically equivalent to pimped out cars, and well, the whole "yeah, some people in our reality are better then others, so let's fight" concept.

Don't get me wrong though, no matter how nice substance is, you still want flash. And gundam has pretty much perfected flash in GS/GSD without a doubt and is rivaled by few.

Quote:
The people who make Gundam will be on Kira's side, due to the fact that they pretty much sold out the whole Universal Century when they made the GS/GSD suits godlike opposed to the fictionous Hi-Nu which was unstoppable in Beltorchika's Children. On the other hand, fanboys/fangirls/fanwhatevers will rally to Char's side for the most part.

But let's face it, Char was never a powerhouse. In fact, I can safely say for the most part he sucked as far as overpoweredness goes. He's the Mwu of UC, where you can always rely on him to show you something cool with a gimp suit, but he will never pull off jack in something good ( Mwu in Akatsuki, Quattro with Golden Hobo vs Q and O ).

Seriously, Char got bitchslapped by KAMILLE and TOOK IT. If they actually HAD a point where Char won a significant fight, you can say he's beyond Mwu's league, but you got to name one first. Never beaten Amuro, never beaten Kamille, never beaten O and Q, never beaten squatt. He's the character that spawns guys like Tuxedo Mask or Vegeta/Piccolo or Archer of FSN or whatever. All show, no go cause they aren't allowed to win against important people. Those important people are meant to be beaten by the main characters.

Quote:
∞ Justice Vs Impulse - this fight was a joke. All that fight meant to me was 'move bitch get out the way'
'

Lol, as sad as this is, this line is better then anything I typed out. Gundam never makes girls good at MS battles. Or at least good enough to be recognized as Pwnage.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 21:06   Link #72
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Exactly it always seems like he is praising Shinn and ragging on anybody else thats not on Shinn's side
...and Zechs.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 04:57   Link #73
coba

Quote:
he didn't even bother going SEED mode while Shin went SEED to defeat him
Kira is in the seed mode since the beginning of ep 34 if you watch carefully.
Kira in ep 34:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6...3420347qk9.jpg

Compared it with Shinn's seed.
http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3420348gv8.jpg
coba is offline   Reply With Quote