AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-13, 10:59   Link #1
gohmifune

Converting/Playing H264

As we all know, not everyone can play H264 encoded vids, so is there a way to encode them into XVID, seaching the forums I didn't really see one, but I may have overlooked it. I've tried every conventional way of playing them, all the players, CCCP, the codec AS gives, so the way I figure the last chance is converting them, plus I rather have XVID.
gohmifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 12:25   Link #2
LytHka
Banned

There is no easy way to say this but you'd be better off if you saved up some money for computer upgrade. However, there is at least one guide out there but I mustn't link to it here.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 12:43   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If they don't play correctly than I doubt you will be able to convert them correctly.

The easiest way would be to use a AviSynth file in VirtualDub you see, but for that
to work H.264 has to work -- although it doesn't need to be played at full speed.
(though if mere CPU power is the problem, then converting file is going to take ages)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 14:36   Link #4
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
If they don't play correctly than I doubt you will be able to convert them correctly.

The easiest way would be to use a AviSynth file in VirtualDub you see, but for that
to work H.264 has to work -- although it doesn't need to be played at full speed.
(though if mere CPU power is the problem, then converting file is going to take ages)
Unless you link up every shitty computer you have into a beowulf cluster, and make them all do the work XD

Ilk out just over 2ghz across 40 machines XD
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 16:39   Link #5
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Virtualdub isn't multithreaded (or, well, it has one decoding thread and one processing thread), so I dunno how much that would help...

Anyway, here is a guide on how to do it with MP4's. The process for MKV's is similiar, but watch out for VFR, which introduces a bunch of problems to which there's no really good solution. If it's softsubbed you will also need to demux the subs and hardsub them in (or just have them in a separate file, if your computer can handle softsubs). Note that for this stuff to work your computer WILL need to be able to play h264 encoded files correctly, even if they play really slow.
Also note that some groups really doesn't like transcoding of their releases. I personally think it's a waste of time and CPU power, but as long as I can redirect the tech support that invariably pops up around guides like the one linked above to someone else, I mostly just shrug.

That being said, the BY FAR simplest way to solve the problem is to download an XviD version of what you're trying to watch - or to upgrade your computer.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 17:03   Link #6
Lambda

If it's computer speed which is the problem, and not decoding it accurately,
Code:
mencoder [-sid 0] -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=<audio bitrate> -ovc xvid -xvidencopts cartoon:pass=[1|2]:bitrate=<video bitrate> -o <output filename> <input filename>
seems to work for me, in the few cases when there hasn't been an Xvid version available.

Telling people they should be getting a new computer when the old one is perfectly capable of doing everything you want were people to use the right codecs smacks a bit of technology fetishism.

(redundant)That smiley is ': p' without the space. Stupid graphical smileys.

Edit: Did what him below said.

Last edited by Lambda; 2006-01-13 at 17:29.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 17:25   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Stick it inside [code] tags and it should look nicer...
How does mencoder deal with VFR? If it works well with VFR, it might well be a much nicer alternative to Avisynth, even if it doesn't do softsubs nicely (they'll just be the plaintext ones you see in MPlayer).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 17:30   Link #8
Lambda

I have absolutely no idea what it does about VFR. All I know is that I've plugged that in a few times, and it's worked.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 18:16   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

In the latest version of AviSynth you can add convertfps=true in the DirectShowSource()
command, and while whatever framerate conversion is done might not be pretty, it should work.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 01:35   Link #10
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
You could increase Priority in Task Manager (Processes) of the player to Above Normal or High to see if that gets better results (It did for me). I can play h.264 encoded episodes with some softsubs on my 750MHZ though it stutters from time to time.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 11:32   Link #11
madlobster

This seems to work for me:
To convert file h264isevil.avi to xvidisgreat.mkv:
1. create text file conv.avs
Code:
DirectShowSource("h264isevil.avi",convertfps=true)
2. run avs2avi
Code:
avs2avi conv.avs video.avi -l c:\xvid.cfg
(The first time, use -s c:\xvid.cfg and select and configure xvid to taste)

3. run mkvmerge
Code:
mkvmerge -o xvidisgreat.mkv --novideo h264isevil.avi video.avi
madlobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 12:07   Link #12
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
You could increase Priority in Task Manager (Processes) of the player to Above Normal or High to see if that gets better results (It did for me). I can play h.264 encoded episodes with some softsubs on my 750MHZ though it stutters from time to time.
That can also make your computer hard to operate, if you switch away from the player.
Old 2006-01-14, 17:03   Link #13
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
The point is to get the video Running right?
And yes its harder to get a response when the player is running on a higher priority. Though during my lack of a video card on my beast of a machine I had to get my anime hit somehow.
Old 2006-01-14, 18:29   Link #14
gohmifune

Wow, thanks for all the responses, increasing thread priority does help sometimes, and converting has worked on a couple of vids, but not all. I guess I have to face the fact that I'm behind the curve though. Thanks again everyone for all the useful tips and ideas.
gohmifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 19:34   Link #15
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz

Never set the priority higher than abovenormal.

It can lead to serious hardtime vegas lockups and shit, specially if you have other shit going on in the background.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 12:40   Link #16
Kurz

Well If you turn off the other stuff you dont wish to run in the back ground especialy on a very slow system. Then the Higher priority wouldnt matter too much.

In my case my bro had a 750 MHZ laptop and he wanted to watch a h.264 encode. I closed some processes and still wasnt getting the consitant FPS so I raised the priorty to High to see if it'll work. It did.

Warning like said by others doing anything else in windows while the video is running will be slower than my Grandpa driving on I-95 (its a highway).