AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-25, 10:33   Link #1
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

Something for a Halloween Showing...

I'm thinking of setting up a little party/showing around Halloween so I wanted suggestions for good horror themed anime so I can check them out in advance. Being genuinely creepy or scare inducing with good writing would be a plus. Also, since there will probably only be time for 1-3 episodes per series, a strong beginning would be preferable.

Highschool of the Dead is already on the menu for sure. =)

Anime already seen and under consideration:
Higurashi
Hellsing
Monster
Petshop of Horrors
Puppet Princess
Vampire Hunter D (both films)
Death Note
Boogiepop Phantom
Blood
Perfect Blue

Anime currently being watched and appraised:
Shiki
Ghost Hunt

Thanks in advance for any new leads and your time. =)
Old 2010-09-25, 10:53   Link #2
Haak
Forever Alone...

I would recommend Kara no Kyoukai and Aoi Bungaku.
Old 2010-09-25, 11:21   Link #3
Haladflire65
*Artist

You've got a pretty good list there, but I might consider taking Monster off, as it's more of a mystery/thriller/suspence show, and the story's really slow and steady, so showing the first three episodes won't really get you anywhere. Not saying it's not a great show (it's amazing) but I don't think it'll be suitable for a Halloween showing...

Also suggesting Soul Eater, and Hellsing Ultimate. SE's a good bet since it features pumpkins in the first episode, with witches and all that stuff. The whole show has a Halloween vibe, actually, with characters modelled after Franken Stein, zombies and grim reapers...
Old 2010-09-25, 11:55   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I'd go for films, not TV series since your time is limited.

Kara no Kyoukai is seven films, some of which are quite long. Might not work out too well.

Definitely show Vampire Hunter D. Halloween tradition.
Old 2010-09-25, 12:20   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Pandora Hearts would make for a good Halloween showing. It has a very interesting first couple of episodes, which i'm sure will do justice in what you're looking for.
Old 2010-09-25, 12:27   Link #6
Haak
Forever Alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Kara no Kyoukai is seven films, some of which are quite long. Might not work out too well.
Two of them are 2 hours long. The rest are slightly less than 1 hour long. Any one of the first three films could be seen without any prior knowledge.

There's also Mononoke.
Old 2010-09-25, 12:33   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Speaking of Mononoke, I'd suggest the three-episode prequel called "Bakeneko" which was part of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. The whole story takes only about an hour to watch, has remarkable animation, and a touching, though disturbing story. Sakurai Takahiro's work as the Apothecary in both these shows is one of the best male seiyuu performances in recent years.
Old 2010-09-25, 12:41   Link #8
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

I feel Umineko No Naku Koro Ni fits the Holloween atmosphere pretty well, and Higurashi was made by the same person.

Oh, and maybe Jigoku Shōjo.
Old 2010-09-25, 12:45   Link #9
jedinat
フリーター

You might check out the short Kigeki.

I kind of liked Kyuuketsuki Miyu. It's only 4 eps.
Old 2010-09-26, 00:45   Link #10
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Soul Eater
Ghost Stories
For Ghost Stories, I suggest you use the dub since it is so much more funny then the original.
That is the only anime that I actually preferred the dub over subs.

What age groups are you looking to show to? If you want 'G' rated, then skip Ghost Stories and go to Soul Eater since it has to many sexual references
Old 2010-09-26, 00:52   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

If you have a pretty sophisticated crowd, Cowboy Bebop The Movie will do...The main confrontation takes place on Halloween Night with a visually stunning Halloween parade...

But you're probably just looking for generic scary $hit...So I'm not sure...Xxxholic has alot of those quirky scary eps though...
Old 2010-09-26, 10:32   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Xxxholic has alot of those quirky scary eps though...
That comment reminded me about those episodes where the characters tell ghost stories that crop up from time to time. I know there's one in Dennou Coil, episode nine, where the kids spend a night at their school and tell stories before the duel.

The episode in xxxHolic presents the characters engaged in the ancient Japanese custom of Hyakumonogatari Kaidankai. The Wiki page includes a few anime references, including the (licensed) series Requiem from the Darkness based on this "100 Ghost Stories" custom as well.
Old 2010-09-26, 13:04   Link #13
CeDeR
forever hung over

Requiem from the darkness - Episodic so it doesnt matter if you just watch 1 episode.
And i second Mononoke and Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror(specially bakeneko arc).
Old 2010-09-26, 14:18   Link #14
NoLongerSane

Second on Requiem from the darkness. You could try The Soul Taker, Silent Mobius, Betterman, or Tokko.
Old 2010-09-26, 18:24   Link #15
Niji

Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari - it is episodic, so you can pick pretty much any of the epis. It is very creepy and trippy, and has a peculiar art style. Very fitting for halloween IMO. First epi is not the strongest, picks up pace though, or rather, creepiness.
Old 2010-09-27, 03:33   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Personally i think Bakemonogatari would work for a Halloween showing. Especially the first arc.
Old 2010-09-27, 06:18   Link #17
Coruja

Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Especially the second arc, which adapts the game episode "Turn of the Golden Witch", (anime episodes 6-11), has got many Halloween references, including some of the murders.
Closed Thread