AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-25, 23:09   Link #1
Seiryuu

Looking for characters like Arata

Please note that I only JUST STARTED reading Arata the Legend, and have only read vol 1. Something about Hinohara Arata caught my attention though. He's got a lot of problems, but there's still something there and I'm wondering if there are other characters like this. Preferrably ones in "real" settings who don't get the benefit of massive crises and powers to fight them.
Spoiler:

What has me interested in Arata is his personality in his situation. When faced with personal persecution, he prefers to run or hide, or simply endure, but does not stand up for himself. In some ways, he seems weak-willed and cowardly. However, he still has a very good and strong spirit. While he does little but hide when he's being persecuted, if he sees someone else being hurt, betrayed, or falsely accused, he simply refuses to stay quiet. He hates to be hurt, but he hates seeing others hurt far more.

So I'm looking for a character with this sort of situation and personality. He appears weak and worthless, but he's really strong where it counts most. He's often hurt, used and abused, and backs down from most confrontations, but gladly welcomes further pain or unpleasantness and faces anyone if it will protect someone else from experiencing the same thing.

I know I may likely be stretching the character a bit, remember I've only read one volume. There's just something about a "weakling" who would rather he get beaten than someone else. Just let there eventually be someone who will recognize what he's really like and stand for him, and a chance for him to find true love (no shonenai plz though).

Sorry if this is confusing, I don't really know the best way to say this.
Old 2010-09-26, 12:36   Link #2
MamoruUsagi

Other series created by Yuu Watase are

Fushigi Yugi 18 volumes, epic romance/fantasy
Ceres Celestial Legend 14 volumes, epic romance/fantasy/horror
Absolute Boyfriend Sweet Romance
Fushigi Yuugi Sequel

Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play is Watase's most famous epic romance/fantasy manga. 18 volumes, epic series.
Old 2010-09-26, 18:16   Link #3
Seiryuu

I'm quite familiar and a bit of a fan of Yuu Watase's work. Do any of these have that sort of character, who's persecuted and ostracized and prefers to run or hide, and who can't stand up for himself but will gladly face conflict and pain to keep others from experiencing the same persecution?
Part of what interests me is that so long as he's the one being attacked he looks like a pathetic weakling and a coward, but if someone else is being hurt he shows just how strong and brave he can be.
Closed Thread