AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-23, 18:16   Link #1
raptured

Eureka 7

People who have watched the Japenese version of Eureka 7 and / or the English version. Which would you say was better? In terms of: interest, story following, character development...etc.?

I need a suggestion on whether I should watch the Japenese version or the English.

Also, the same for FullMetal Alchemist...are both the Japenese and English versions pretty much the same? If not...what are the differences?

Haha...can't decide which version is better...
Old 2006-11-23, 18:37   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Er....what ?

There is no English version of anything... i think what you probably mean by english version are dubs.... there is no difference at all... the "english version" is simply voiced by english speaking voice actors, instead of the original japaneese. And i allways prefer the original ones. (watching with subs)

In either case... i'd suggest to stay away from Eureka 7 .... i felt like my IQ went below freezing point after watching 9 episodes of it...
Old 2006-11-23, 19:26   Link #3
Knightmare213

What the people, and when I say people, I mean the people who watches both the Japanese dubbing and English dubbing, they tend to compare the quality of the voice acting and the translation from Japanese to English.

There are no Japanese versions and English versions of anime series, OVAs, movies and etc. I already know that you just got the terms wrong. That's...pretty forgivable.

Also...I'm just loving Eureka Seven so far. It's one thing that I look toward to every Friday when it airs on YTV.
Old 2006-11-24, 16:18   Link #4
mit7059

Eureka seveN was a pretty good series, if'd you watched farther into the series Skyfall you'd find out that it's actually one of the more intelligent series that has come out recently, for which it won a bunch of awards. I generally stay away from dubs on the whole and tend to only watch subtitled versions, because a lot of time the english voice acting is pretty poor, and I can't tell if it's good or not in the Japanese version because I have no idea what good Japanese acting sounds like because I can't speak Japanese. I have watched some of the dub of Fullmetal Alchemist because I was watching it with lesser animefans, and it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great either.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-11-24, 17:24   Link #5
raptured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213 View Post
What the people, and when I say people, I mean the people who watches both the Japanese dubbing and English dubbing, they tend to compare the quality of the voice acting and the translation from Japanese to English.

There are no Japanese versions and English versions of anime series, OVAs, movies and etc. I already know that you just got the terms wrong. That's...pretty forgivable.

Also...I'm just loving Eureka Seven so far. It's one thing that I look toward to every Friday when it airs on YTV.

I watch it then too.

I meant English version, because CCS was changed quite a bit from the Japenese version...that's where I was getting my thought from. I thought that the English version had been changed the same way...the story made more for "western" watchers.
Old 2006-12-10, 12:09   Link #6
digitalmaster287

I dont know about Eureka 7, but I watched most of FMA dubbed and the last 10 episodes subbed and dubbed and I dont see much of a difference between them. I prefered the dubbed version, but I just like some of the quotes better in the subbed, becasue they were translated differently. The dub really isnt that bad when you compare it to crappy dubs like One Piece. None of the scenes are altered in any way, its only the voices and occasionally a slight translation difference (though this can greatly affect the power of a quote).
Old 2006-12-10, 15:50   Link #7
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
I meant English version, because CCS was changed quite a bit from the Japenese version...that's where I was getting my thought from. I thought that the English version had been changed the same way...the story made more for "western" watchers

Nope, but I see what you're coming from. Animes like Tokyo Mew Mew, One Piece and DBZ got completely chopped and "infanticized" in the US, Naruto had been following the same path, but it got a little better, just like Eureka SeveN and Bleach are now almost 100% true to the original.

I see this is a great evolution on how 4kids had been doing things up until the Otaku community started bashing them pretty badly for their poor "adaptations" or Japanese shows to US-taste. One example of this gradual improvement is the fact that, FINALLY, they're using the original Japanese themes. Ok, true Eureka SeveN openings are shortened and cropped, but at least the songs are still there, it's not something like "ONE PIECE MOTHERF- ONE PIECE, ONE PIECE MOTHERF- ONE PIECE" or that crappy DBZ opening, along with the complete nonsense of the first Naruto opening. Now, Naruto's opening song is actually the original one, and the scene just looks like a badly made AMV... but big step, big step.

The case of Bleach is even better, since they're 100% following the original Ops and Endings, and names and all of that remained original.

But in the case of E7, it's like other people said, there're no major changes in it like in some other shows. I'd still go for the Japanese dub, though. Original FTW.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-12-12, 15:04   Link #8
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

WATCH IN JAPANESE !!! dubbing is never better or equal to the original voice acting, and i understand japanese, so I can say for sure that dubbed anime is NOTHING compared to the original. if u dont understand japanese, then watch is subbed. sub is WAY better than dubbing, and tend to have notes by the dubber that help explain things better.
Old 2006-12-12, 20:46   Link #9
domino
デレデレ

Even the best of dubs probably isn't better than the original Japanese version. If you have the option to watch either, take the Japanese version of both. It's how the show was intended to be viewed (sentence structure and animation was made to fit Japanese speech pattern), and the actors do a much better job. The FMA dub is pretty good, but the Japanese voice actors are much more talented. Same goes for Eureka 7, only the difference is much more extreme -- the Japanese Renton makes the English Renton look awful.
Old 2006-12-13, 19:32   Link #10
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Watch it in sub. I guaranteed, it will be better than dub.
Closed Thread