AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-11-14, 10:15   Link #241
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213 View Post
I have to say, it's a good book, but a sickening one, so far.
Why do those two ideas seem to clash to me?
Old 2006-11-14, 16:42   Link #242
steelbound
Yuki-ism

My favorite form of reading in short form SF; just finished reading "The Hikikomori's Cartoon Kimono" by A.R. Morlan in the Jan. 2007 Asimov's. It's a story set in the near future about a former hikikomori who moves to Minnesota and becomes a tatoo artist.

Though if you want books within the last 4 months I've read Charles Stross' Glasshouse and Acclerendo, Gardner Dozois' Years Best Science Fiction 23, Dan Simmons' Illium and Olympos, Neil Gaiman American Gods and Anansi Boys.

Charles Stross has got to be SF's best idea man right now, so full of cutting edge ideas yet very readable. If you liked GiTS you'd probably enjoy him.

Dozois' yearly anthology of short form SF is the best way to become acquainted to short form SF. This year's standout story is called "Second Person, Present Tense" by Daryl Gregory which is about a teenage girl who took a drug that made her brain lose it's sense of self-identity so when she came to several weeks later she is no longer her old self. And the story is about how she and her family copes with the results.

If you love greek mythology and SF then the Dan Simmons' books that I mentioned are probably up your ally. The story is about the re-creation of the events in the Iliad (possibly on an alternate-universe Earth) by post-humans who dwell on Olympus Mons on Mars, and who have taken on the roles of the Greek gods. Along with the fate of remaining humans on Earth and Biological Robots left around Jupiter. To read such an ambitious set of novels it took over 200 pages to just get a feel of all the threads that get weaved into the story.

I'm running to long so I'll just say the Neil Gaiman stories are about what if incarnations of the old gods: norse, egyptian, african, etc walked around in America.
Old 2006-11-15, 09:30   Link #243
Lost

To some people, its a good book because it was sickening to them, just because it could exert that effect on them; much like how I hate and love the anime NTHT. Otherwise, it can be a good book in the way it manipulates and directs the language, other technical aspects etc etc. Those two ideas can mutually exist in the same sentence. Damn, I still have yet to start on Lolita.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 11:04   Link #244
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I finished reading some time ago Jun'ichiro Tanizaki's In Praise of Shadows. (The link contains a write-up I wrote on this essay.) Although quite unconventional especially when placed in the light of the English essay, it espouses unique things reflective of Japanese culture and aesthetics - it's not really a must-read, IMO, but it's a good read. What would you lose if you were to read among the most prominent Japanese literary artists of all time? That's right - nothing.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 12:02   Link #245
General_Norris
Ouendan member

La Celestina in old spanish. A pain to read but it is a classic of incalculable value.
Old 2006-11-22, 11:59   Link #246
Jelly
Ganbarro!!!

Last finished book: Paulo Coehlo - The Zahir. He's a great writer.

Recently someone gave me "Life of Pi" and I bought myself "War and peace".
But no time to read them, but will soon. Starting with Pi. I think...
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 03:44   Link #247
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Just finished "The Hangman's Daughter". Ohhh the tragedies that happens. It's all about suffering of the others but people can unite and become happy, even if earlier there's no help. ( or something like that ^_^)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 13:19   Link #248
Robert~Haydn

Send a message via Yahoo to Robert~Haydn
humm..about book:

suzumiya haruhi novel
princess diary
lord of the rings
and many more
Robert~Haydn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 14:12   Link #249
ShinNoNoir
Nothing to see, move it.

I finished "The Miko" by Eric Van Lustbader a month ago, i'll read the next volume soon, just wanna finish the Love Hina collection first.
ShinNoNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 14:41   Link #250
Gibilterra

I asked Faust for time and time what I live for?
Why I can't find any reason to live?
What is right?
Gibilterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 14:42   Link #251
mit7059

I just finished "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, pretty good actually, totally unbelievable but entertaining

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 15:43   Link #252
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
I just finished "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, pretty good actually, totally unbelievable but entertaining
I read that. It wasn't bad.
Right now I'm reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It's pretty interesting so far... I have a problem with finishing books, though... The minute they lose my interest or go somewhere I don't like I stop reading them. I used to not be like that; as long as the book was well written I enjoyed it. Ever since I started watching anime something has changed... I don't know why.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 16:21   Link #253
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I read that. It wasn't bad.
Right now I'm reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It's pretty interesting so far... I have a problem with finishing books, though... The minute they lose my interest or go somewhere I don't like I stop reading them. I used to not be like that; as long as the book was well written I enjoyed it. Ever since I started watching anime something has changed... I don't know why.
I'm the sameway with books, anime series as well though, I stall on a lot of series.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 10:46   Link #254
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

This not book realted per se, but I can't wait until the Eragon movie comes out. I read the books, and fell in love with them. I hope the movies doesn't ruin it. My expectations are high.
Old 2006-12-09, 17:24   Link #255
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Re-reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2006-12-10 at 08:02.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 13:10   Link #256
Gibilterra

I like SF novels .
And,I just finished reading CHASM CITY written by Alastair Reynolds.
Gibilterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 18:34   Link #257
leofish
Mia 'cova

Has anyone read LE Modesitt Jr's Recluce novels? I picked them up to read while waiting for the next SoIaF book... finished The Magic of Reluce and very much enjoyed the philosophical order/black vs chaos/white representations he created. I hope the rest in the series hold to the same light. Nothing close to GRRM or Jordan but still a decent fantasy read ^^
Old 2006-12-10, 18:54   Link #258
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I am starting Catch-22. It's pretty interesting so far.
Old 2006-12-10, 20:38   Link #259
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I am starting Catch-22. It's pretty interesting so far.
One of the worst books I ever read!

Did not find the humour...humorous. The writing was bad, and the characters were just plain weird. Took me forever to finish, and it all felt like a chore. The story was pretty latent imo and hard to grasp.

I know I am in the minority as I know I know this book appeals to many. But for me it was pants.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 08:06   Link #260
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
One of the worst books I ever read!

Did not find the humour...humorous. The writing was bad, and the characters were just plain weird. Took me forever to finish, and it all felt like a chore. The story was pretty latent imo and hard to grasp.

I know I am in the minority as I know I know this book appeals to many. But for me it was pants.
There are two ways that you like that book:

1. You just like it.

2. You are in the military/military family/etc.

I'm the latter... And I'm going to be perfectly honest, I don't think the book is a work of fiction sometimes. LOL

Anyway...

I'm currently reading:

Panzer Operations: The Eastern Front Memoir of General Raus, 1941-1945 by General Erhard Raus

Most recently finished:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex- Revenge of the Cold Machines by Junichi Fujisaku

Hoo-ah!

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books