AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-01-09, 05:15   Link #281
Darcean
Life at 180BPM

Send a message via AIM to Darcean Send a message via MSN to Darcean Send a message via Yahoo to Darcean
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwl12 View Post
Currently reading: Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon

I think he introduced too many characters in a short period of time at the beginning, but the story's interesting enough that I'm drawn into reading it. He must be rather good since my library has some of his other books in this series featured in the monthly read lists. Speaking of which, I should start placing a hold on the 2nd book now.

Steven Erikson - House of Chains

On the 4th book, its a REALLY good series.

Ganoes, and Sha'ik(you'll understand who she is by the end of book 2) are my favorite characters at the moment, with Ben and Crokus/Apsalar as runners up.(my favorite favorite character was killed off in book 3, but im not gonna say who that is, as that would spoil the mood that Erikson set for the scene.)
"I am truly free only when all human beings, men and women, are equally free. The freedom of other men, far from negating or limiting my freedom, is, on the contrary, its necessary premise and confirmation." - Mikhail Bakunin
Darcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 10:33   Link #282
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

As I may have said before, I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I don't know why. Maybe to just pass the time between book series. Either way, I'm some where in the first third of the seventh book, A Crown of Swords.

It still bugs me how there is WAY too much character development for unimportant characters (who are killed off halfway through the book). Just for the record, I STILL don't care about what happened to Galina, being held captive by the Shaido Wise Ones, yadda yadda yadda. Minor characters don't merit their own chapters--- especially the ones that the reader hates.

And, as always, Rand never gets a break. And as obvious as it is, I'll still say that trying to be the savior of the world is no easy task.
Old 2007-01-09, 11:34   Link #283
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I just picked up a collection of short stories by author (and regular contributor to NPR's "This American Life") David Sedaris, called "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim." It is, so far, hilarious and awesome, in much the way all of his stories I've heard before seem to be. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys humor.
Old 2007-01-09, 13:29   Link #284
Andu

Send a message via MSN to Andu
I'm currently reading Dostojevski's "Crime and punishment".
It's a shame im reading it for killing time because this book really needs to be read, giving deep thought about everything.
Andu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 18:41   Link #285
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

I am currently reading "The Black Dahlia" It's pretty interesting,but I just started it. I love reading :B
x_Kotori_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 19:16   Link #286
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Just picked up Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich from the library.

I've heard good things about her, so we'll see...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 02:41   Link #287
onepiecelover

I just finished Nance Drew, another thrilling mysery with a breath taking conclusion
Old 2007-01-11, 03:00   Link #288
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just finished reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 04:29   Link #289
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

Devil May cry the novel... Ongoing to the 2nd season of it...
Old 2007-01-11, 06:54   Link #290
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Currently I'm making my way through The Portable Door by Tom Holt.
Old 2007-01-11, 20:38   Link #291
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

@oncepiecelover:

Ah, I use to read nancy drew :3 I read a bunch of them. Good times...good memories.

Still reading Black Dahlia ^.^
x_Kotori_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 14:31   Link #292
favojavo
Do The Shika Shake

Send a message via AIM to favojavo
Ummmm
I read Eragon, by Christaphe Paolini id give it a A-, but if you have rad the book the movie sucks, left out to much.

Leven Thumps and the Gatway to Foo, and Leven Thumps and the Wisped Secret its weird but good i'd give it an A a talking toothpick, a fly rat thing, and a boy who can see the future, and a girl who can freeze things, must save reality. again i say, its weird.

Inkheart by Cornilia Funke

The Warreir Heir by Cinda Chima Williams

Quotes:
Let's forget about the time we were at the mercy of sadistic spawns of satan in a hellish abomanation that out to be firboomed. -Max from Maximum Ride: The Angle Experiment
favojavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 14:46   Link #293
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I just bought Eric Lustbader's Bourne Legacy yet to read . Eric Lustbader's previous works are filled with erotica so lil skeptical . Hope he does justice to Ludlum's Bourne Series
Old 2007-01-28, 16:49   Link #294
cdtm

I've heard so much about Elric and his sword Stormbreaker over the web, I finally decided to hunt down The Elric Saga novels at my local library.. They're written by Michael Moorcock, and I guess they're either based on a pen and paper RPG released back in the 80's, or maybe inspired them (I think the novels came out in the late 1970's and the RPG in the early 80's)

Anyways, the original sagas spread across six books, and I'm on the second one now. I liked the first story well enough, about how Elric, a sickly Albino prince, tries to rule his kingdom with morality, despite the kingdom being used to and demanding it's rulers to be cruel..

I liked the first story well enough, which deals more with his would be ursurper cousin, who's a more traditional tyrant sort...

The second story, which I'm in the middle of, I'm liking a lot less.. It goes from a local power struggle, to a more cosmic scale, which I generally dislike outside of certain comic books (IMO, it doesn't do a thing for a character like Elric, coming across more as a fan service thing for people who like seeing entire worlds, universe, multiverses, or what have you at stake). I'm only halfway through this book, and I guess despite my reservations the story did lay some groundwork for upcoming adventures...

And so far, by itself and without a plot device I'm not seeing how Stormbringer would cut Excalibur in two and King Arthur along with it, as many across the net suggested.. Although, it's an awesome sword nonetheless, and I can imagine the Soul Calibur games getting heavy influence off of these novels..
cdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 22:23   Link #295
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I finished reading Beowulf and Grendel for my independent reading for AP English. Beowulf was surprisingly easy to understand and read. They were only about 105 and 176 pages long, respectively. Grendel I'm not sure made a lot of sense, but thankfully by reading Beowulf first it was a bit easier.

For those not in the know, Beowulf is an Anglo-Saxon epic (no author) that was originally in Old English. (Beowulf is a small-time lord who kills Grendel by ripping its arm off. Then its mother shows up years later after Beowulf becomes king, and all goes to hell.) I don't know old english, but the translation was pretty simple and modern enough to not need to look things up in a dictionary. Also, I'm sure LoTR fans will know that Beowulf was what largely inspired JRR Tolkien to write LoTR.

Grendel is a modern spin on the tale, only it's from the monster's (Grendel's) point of view, and that of its mother, whose name I do not know. If she/it even has a name.

Since we have to make our own paper topic too, in addition to reading, what do you guys think would make for an interesting argument/discussion?
Old 2007-01-30, 05:05   Link #296
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcean View Post
Steven Erikson - House of Chains

On the 4th book, its a REALLY good series.

Well, on my second book now: Steven Erikson - Deadhouse Gates. I hope this does not turn out to be a long and winding series like Wheel of Time or deteriorating like Sword of Truth.
Spoiler for Book 1 spoiler:
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 02:24   Link #297
curious cat
I LOVE KAKASHI!!!!

Send a message via MSN to curious cat
Well for my age i'm advanced in reading although since i started high school haven't had much time to read but some good books that i have read recently are:
1.Megan By Mary Hooper
2.The Tenth Circle By Jodi Picoult
3.Mahalia By Joanne Horniman
4.Little Wing By Joanna Horniman

Thanks to SweetHoney for the sig >.< you rock !!!
curious cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 21:46   Link #298
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

I jut started reading The Mysterious Stranger after seeing a bit of it from the back of Evangelion volume nine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Grendel is a modern spin on the tale, only it's from the monster's (Grendel's) point of view, and that of its mother, whose name I do not know. If she/it even has a name.
Heh, that reminds me of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs where the Big Bad Wolf tells his side of the story. I can just imagine Grendel telling his story, "I only came to the castle to ask for some sugar, but those men inside were drunk and became violent! In an attempt to defend myself I accidentally killed them. I figured it'd be a waste to leave perfectly good human meat to rot so I proceeded to eat them. Mmmm they were gooood!"
Old 2007-04-01, 21:52   Link #299
#ASprek8#

i'm about to finish reading "300 strange fenomenos" by Charles Berlitz
Old 2007-04-01, 22:29   Link #300
Jiji
*Scanlator

I always have so many books going at once...
House of Leaves - for the 4th time
Words in Context by Takao Suzuki - great book on linguistics
On Parole by Akira Yoshimura
Dream of the Red Chamber - chinese classic of literature
and a book for a review.

Last edited by Jiji; 2007-04-02 at 08:11. Reason: details, details...
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books