AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-10, 22:27   Link #1881
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

i used the rest of my print quota to print out a song of ice and fire. in size 11 font. haha. i'll be working through that this summer.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 20:08   Link #1882
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 20:16   Link #1883
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm toying with reading Madame Bovary, in French!. Now I have a decent knowledge of french already, but not complete, sp I've gotten myself a firefox plugin to translate anything I highlight, so I might be able to pull it off.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 22:06   Link #1884
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

Darkely Dreaming Dexter

The story of a forensic blood analyst, who is as well a serial killer. He hunts down the criminals that the police can't proove guilty and after showing him the result of his evil actions, he cuts them in pieces and gets rid of the body. This system worked from him for some 15 years, but suddenly a new serial killer appears in the city, whose style is pretty similar to Dexter's, fascinated by this that he considers art, he starts trying to catch on him, but everything starts to get complicated when this unnamed killer starts sending him mensagges and inviting him to "play".
Old 2011-05-17, 22:20   Link #1885
Haladflire65
*Artist

Two of Higashino Keigo's Galileo mystery novels - Galileo no Kunou (The Agony of Galileo) and Seijyo no Kyusai (The Virgin's Salvation). These are about a genius physicist who helps police solve difficult crimes that often use scientific 'tricks'. One of the books in the series is The Devotion of Suspect X and it's the only one that has an English translation! Has anyone read it? If not, I recommend it very highly, it's quite a special mystery. It shows you the crime unfold and you know exactly who did what - this story explores motivation and is really fascinating - it also becomes genuinely moving by the ending. The movie was very nice too.
Old 2011-05-17, 22:49   Link #1886
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch Send a message via Skype™ to Flinch
I recently reread Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Currently rereading Silence of the Lambs, and plan to go through the series again.
Old 2011-05-18, 02:49   Link #1887
Kagome25

The Book I am reading is John Jakes`s Love and the War Its a series about the 2 families during the civil war. 2 close friends from west point are torn apart by the Civil war. Its has a great love story About friendship and love between 2 familys on diffrerent sides of the War
Kagome25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 03:34   Link #1888
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Cobley's Seeds of Earth. Probably the most boring Space Opera I've read. I just couldn't get into it, and that's saying a lot considering I love Hamilton's works. There was just something about the characters, the world and the sheer info-dumping that made me race through it so I could start on JXIIH's The Traveller. Which is pure love.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 01:09   Link #1889
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm wading through Homer's The Iliad right now. It's certainly not light reading.
Old 2011-05-21, 06:39   Link #1890
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm wading through Homer's The Iliad right now. It's certainly not light reading.
But it is great reading.

Diomedes is sooo cool.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 12:21   Link #1891
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Agreed, it's great reading.
Old 2011-05-21, 18:22   Link #1892
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
Full Dark No Stars - Stephen King
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 22:40   Link #1893
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

I finished Jurassic Park recently and I'm reading The Terminal Man now. Both by Michael Crichton. I don't like his style, though. I don't know why I keep reading his books...

I'm also reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. His style, I do like. Yay.
Old 2011-05-22, 10:48   Link #1894
Dralha

The Myst Reader by Rand and Robyn Miller -- A compilation of three books based on the Myst video game series.

Death at Daisy's Folly by Robin Paige -- Third in the Kate Ardleigh/Charles Sheridan Victorian mystery series.

The Empire Strikes Back by Donald Glut -- The novelization of the best Star Wars film. There were several changes in the dialogue, most of which were trivial, but it was egregious to omit Han's "I know."

Return of the Jedi by James Kahn -- The novelization of the last Star Wars film. The writing wasn't all that great, but the scenes with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor were well done.

Last edited by Dralha; 2011-06-05 at 07:40.
Dralha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 04:54   Link #1895
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Tried two books last month by authors I've never heard of so and it wasn't so bad.

God's War by Kameron Hurley - May be offensive to some, well it's definitely offensive to a lot of people. But it is an, uh, interesting read.
The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi - Wow total mindfrak, I don't even...I can't...It's just...Well nevermind, I wanted to get back into "hard sci-fi" and this is exactly what I thought I wanted.

This month I'm knocking out:
Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson - Pretty good so far, kind of a fresh take on what I've read in too many post apocalyptic scifi novels.

Also has anyone read Carte Blanche? I wanna read it but I've never read a James Bond novel before and was wondering if it's n00b friendly.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 12:47   Link #1896
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Eventually did finish Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant, now in the middle of Gears of War: Anvil Gate. It's amazing how much reading can be done finally with some free time. There's a new book coming out in a couple of months, three whole books to patch GOW 2 to 3, Traviss has quite the story going.
Old 2011-06-19, 14:10   Link #1897
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I don't suppose anyone would happen to know of any GOOD mecha-related novels, would they?
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 15:39   Link #1898
Kallen4life

Game of Thrones made read the ending of the first a Song of Ice & Fire book and I'm now @ second (a Clash of Kings)
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 08:56   Link #1899
LMF

"The Book of Basketball: According to the Sports Guy" by Bill Simmons.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 09:38   Link #1900
FireChick

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (check out the movie too! It's awesome!)
Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Plan to read:
Kane Chronicles: The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books