AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-14, 08:33   Link #1
Aerodynamic

Speed problem

Hi...I'm a newbie and I don't seem to understand why does my download speed be only 5-7,I mean it doesn't seem like I am behind a firewall,and I have downloaded the clients which u have asked to try...I'm having a pretty fast cable modem (1500kb)...Does it have anything to do with my connection?

I have also set the settings over there to dsl/cable fast,upload rate to 40,max uploads to 6....and my download rate is only 5-7kibs,my friends are using a 512 cable broadband and there are downloading shows at speeds of 50+kibs....pls help me....If u need to know more info pls state....Thanks.....
Aerodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 18:14   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Please read the BitTorrent Step-by-Step guide. Download Shadow's client (that's listed on the guide also) to make sure that your ports aren't blocked. First uninstall BitTorrent, then install shadow's client instead.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 03:04   Link #3
Aerodynamic

I have already install Shadow's client.What should I do next?How am I suppose to check whether my ports are blocked?
Old 2003-12-15, 03:28   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Click on "Advanced" (it's at the top above the progress bar) and look at the second column. For each IP will be listed a 'R' (remote) or 'L' (local). If there are any 'R's listed, then your ports are open, but if you can only get local connections, then you are probably firewalled. Note that you have to give the torrent some time to see if you get remote connections.

Also, with shadow's client there is an indicator light at the upper right corner of the window. If it turns green it means that you aren't firewalled, but if it stays yellow then there is a good chance that you are.

Check to see if you get remote connections and the color of your light.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 03:41   Link #5
Aerodynamic

I've checked it,and the lights are always green-which means I'm not behind a firewall-and for the second column,most of them are 'R' (remote) and there are no more then a few (about 3-5) 'L' (local). So what's next?
Old 2003-12-15, 03:56   Link #6
Rama
seen Beautiful Life yet?

You may just have bad luck. Just wait a little longer or try another torrent.
Download speed usually gets better after a while. If it doesn't you'll just
have to wait
Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 04:49   Link #7
Aerodynamic

Hahaa....then I must have been really unlucky then =) anyway,I have been trying to download Slam Dunk,and even after an hour the speed has always been low (like 3-6kb),does it have anything to do with the no. of seeds/peers/total speed and all that stuff?

A scenario would be like this (example): I'm downloading the shows-Slam dunk and saiyuki reloaded-and both have lets say 7 seeds,slam dunk have only 23 peers and my downloading speed for that show is about 8kbs,on the other hand,saiyuki reloaded has 50+ peers but my downloading speed is much faster then slam dunk (at 25 kb)...how is that possible?

*note* both have the same setting on the shadow's client,the uploading and max up loading stuff...

Sorry to bored u with so much info,but its so frustrating to see the problem but not know how to solve it and/or what's the cause of it....I will appreciate it if u could help me.
Old 2003-12-15, 07:16   Link #8
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
BT works the "tit-for-tat" way. So if you want to download, you will have to upload a little too.
If the torrent have less peers the internal connection of it will suffer a bit from that, since less people will give to you less speed.

On the other hand, if there are more people, they will upload (Even though they will download) more, and therefore you will get a fairly better speed.

But if the connection of the peers and seeds are rather slow, another thing, you will suffer even if the torrent have a lot of peers and seeds.
After that dont forget the bottle neck effect, if a *lot* of people are trying to download the same thing (read: Naruto) you will be stuck for he first 20/30 minutes, because of the mass of people and the general saturation of the torrent.

Notice that its all relative after all, you could find a insanely fast torrent with only one peer, or a utterly slow one with a load of seeds.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 08:51   Link #9
Aerodynamic

So I should leave the window open even after I have finish downloading the show?

Btw,I am trying to download saiyuki reload ep6,I notice that the indicator light turn yellow.....which means I have my firewall on,but I'm sure I do not have a firewall (I have read about firewall stuff and where to fix it but...I just can't seem to get it right -.-!)

I have download the other 5ep and indicator light never once turn yellow,It has always been green.I've also notice that when I go to the advance on the client window,the second column was all 'L' (local),why is that so?