AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-17, 11:03   Link #1
SilverHeimdall

Heroes of Might & Magic V

:O any PC Gamers here? ;D

Ubisoft has bought the rights to Might & Magic ~ And ~ Heroes of Might & Magic series and has had a russian developper by the name of Nival Interactive make Heroes of Might & Magic V.

Well the Open Beta starts Thursday :3
Watch the screenshots, movies and stuff before thursday ^^ ~

HoMM5 Site http://www.mightandmagic.com/HeroesV/uk/home.php
Announcements http://mightandmagic.com/us/
SilverHeimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 13:40   Link #2
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Here's to hoping that the graphics surpass HoMM 4 and the gameplay is as fun as HoMM 3.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 14:44   Link #3
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHeimdall
Well the Open Beta starts Thursday :3
Say what?

YES!!!

I've anxiously been waiting for HoMM5, it's an incredibly underrated games series, but HoMM 2 and 3 were definitely two of the best games at the time when they were released - #3 still holds its own today. If 5 manages to capture 3's charm and improve on the depth and introduce new concepts successfully, unlike 4 which lacked a lot of the charm and failed with its new concepts, then it will certainly be my big game of 2006.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 17:31   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've been watching the available information on Heroes V for quite a while now. I played Heroes 1-4, so it goes without saying that I care what happens to this franchise.

While I was very concerned when I heard that 3DO went out of business and Might&Magic was bought by Ubisoft, I didn't get really worried until I heard that Ubisoft fired everyone who was involved with M&M and put only their own people on creating a new HoMM.

Since then, Ubisoft has been rebuilding my confidence. Heroes V seems to be a throwback to earlier incanations of this series, with graphics well in advance of anything Heroes was ever likely to do under the old management.

For the graphics, they are using the bright color palate of Heroes 2, which was very cheery looking with all those bright primary colors. Unlike Heroes 2, the graphics are stunningly detailed and beautiful. All the screenshots of this game are a treat to look at. And the fact that they can be zoomed in on and rotated at will is just pure fanservice.

The gameplay is very much a copy of Heroes 3. Most of the innovations of Heroes 4 has been discarded simply because it didn't work as a whole. Rather than try to troubleshoot Heroes 4's problems, they just threw it all away in favor of returning to a more successful model. It is a shame, but since Ubisoft is so new at Heroes, it is best that they return to something successful and make everyone feel that they are continuing the Heroes legacy, before they try to create something new of their own.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 18:10   Link #5
Ending

Looks relatively detailed, but I'm unimpressed. Perhaps because it's "yet another sequel", perhaps because I really dislike this influx of Donald Duck graphics, or perhaps because I honestly doubt it has anything new to offer. For example: does it have a AI that is actually fair and surprising? Or maybe a delving story with interesting characters? Hey; maybe the soundscape is so lush that you could had jumped to another world the moment you put on your headphones?

Sorry to pop your bubbles, but I doubt they have even thought of things like this. Before you say "But Wirhe, u r so n00b!", take a look at this manifest to see what I expect it to be. After all, it's not just a sequel, but a sequels sequels sequel. Or more shortly: a milking cow, like the term goes in economics.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 01:46   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Looks relatively detailed, but I'm unimpressed. Perhaps because it's "yet another sequel", perhaps because I really dislike this influx of Donald Duck graphics, or perhaps because I honestly doubt it has anything new to offer. For example: does it have a AI that is actually fair and surprising? Or maybe a delving story with interesting characters? Hey; maybe the soundscape is so lush that you could had jumped to another world the moment you put on your headphones?
Honestly, there is no way to know that yet! And you know that we can't know that. Right now this game is nothing more than hype, screeshots and a few choice soundbites from marketing where they claim that all of those things are true.

I'm eager to believe them when they tell us that the AI is a major priority for them and it is going to be a strong player which cannot be easily predicted. I'm also eager to believe them when they tell us that the world, character and story have incredible writing that will surprise us. I'm also made happy by their claims that the composer (who is only contributer who worked on earlier incarnations) has done his best work for the latest instance of HoMM.

I'm eager to believe all of those things, but I will admit that I am not convinced. There is no way to know if it lives up to its hype until it ships. And, honestly, I've seen darn few games live up to their hype. I'm willing to settle for a new variation on the old HoMM mold as long as it is done well.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 06:43   Link #7
lance88

Ya! HoMM 5! The next pc's game I am waiting for! However I don't really find the previous series fair and square so far..(especially the last boss) they are crazy hard! But I must say its a pretty good game.. and now it comes with fully 3D graphics, I foresee its going to 1 of the highly-rated games.
lance88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 12:05   Link #8
Ending

Quote:
Right now this game is nothing more than hype, screeshots and a few choice soundbites
Sure, so why haven't they promoted these new features then if they have something like that? In the 'key features' they basically promise of the following (sorry about taking so much space, but I need to quote these for added effect):

Quote:
Quote:
full breathtaking 3D
Which has been around ever since N64 and PS1 were published, Even longer if NeoGeo, Doom 1, and 3DO are counted.

Quote:
turn-based battle system -- Dynamic Battle System
Whoah; it's a turn-based battle system! Or "DBS!" Hmm... I'm sure no one has ever seen these before as long as we pretend we have never played any games before!

Quote:
discover a completely revamped and more mature universe
*Snicker*

They should take a look at HERE before claiming it "mature."

Quote:
multiplayer -- play simultaneously or even when it is not your turn!
Er... isn't the point of "DBS" that players TAKE TURNS so no one gets an unfair advantage?
Quote:
There is no way to know if it lives up to its hype until it ships.
When they start hyping about it, there usually will not be any major changes to be done anymore, thus you can say that whatever we see now will be in the final version too (no reason to waste hard work, no?). To put in plainly, the developers do not have guts to revise their own idea at this point anymore.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote