AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-01, 15:46   Link #501
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
It's your prerogative and opinion, of course. I, as numerous of Hellsing fans in their boards, recognize the change of adaptations and the more professional flair of Madhouse (no... delays, for one). Of course not everyone likes the same direction style.

Hellsing manga fans who like the characters over the action, like myself, prefer the Tanaka's direction (5-7) and think Tokoro (1-4) rushed and cut too much to focus on the action scenes. Whereas the fans who are more action fans are annoyed he's dragging the episodes and prefer Tokoro's direction. People would prefer their own style. It's all mixed. I, for one, hope Tanaka and Madhouse remain to make Hellsing, one of my favorite manga, watchable. You can have another opinion, certainly.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 16:07   Link #502
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roanapur
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
It's your prerogative and opinion, of course. I, as numerous of Hellsing fans in their boards, recognize the change of adaptations and the more professional flair of Madhouse (no... delays, for one). Of course not everyone likes the same direction style.
I'm sure other numerous Hellsing fans prefer the previous episodes before Madhouse took over just as much. I can say I am one of those fans. But this does not mean I do not like the episodes produced by Madhouse nor I would try and compare, because that would just lower my opinion on one of my favorite series. In fact, I love them.
And speaking of delays, I am disappointed that there had been no English dub release of Hellsing ever since ep5.

Quote:
Hellsing manga fans who like the characters over the action, like myself, prefer the Tanaka's direction (5-7) and think Tokoro (1-4) rushed and cut too much to focus on the action scenes. Whereas the fans who are more action fans are annoyed he's dragging the episodes and prefer Tokoro's direction. People would prefer their own style. It's all mixed.
In Hellsing's case, I prefer the action overall. Action in Hellsing should be top-priority above everything else, because lets face it; what made Hellsing HELLSING was not the characters. It was the gore, action, and the use of vampires. Don't get me wrong though, I like the characters in Hellsing very much. My favorite being Seras Victoria. But I'm just saying that Hellsing attracted a lot of people just because of the action scenes, high-quality animation and the vampire mythology (Alucard and Seras are the two most popular characters in Hellsing after all).

Quote:
I, for one, hope Tanaka and Madhouse remain to make Hellsing, one of my favorite manga, watchable. You can have another opinion, certainly.
So you are saying that the previous episodes weren't watchable? Because Satelight, being not a very known studio and definitely not one of my favorites (while Madhouse is one of my favorites, you can tell by my signature what my favorite anime is) did an impressive and fantastic job on Hellsing.
__________________

Last edited by Zwei; 2010-02-01 at 16:26.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 16:39   Link #503
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
And speaking of delays, I am disappointed that there had been no English dub release of Hellsing ever since ep5.
Blame the distributor (FUNimation?). Since I'm not from USA, I couldn't care less, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
In Hellsing's case, I prefer the action overall. Action in Hellsing should be top-priority above everything else, because lets face it; what made Hellsing HELLSING was not the characters.
For you, sure: to me is because it's a decent Dracula spin off. That's what it is, first and foremost, hence Hellsing. What makes Hellsing is that: the characters, the action is just an excuse to make them develop, IMO, since it began as a cracky humor series... and well, let's just not spoil the manga ending. *shrugs* Therefore -to me- Madhouse + Tanaka's take > Tokoro's and Satelight because they are putting emphasis on characters doing stuff and not stuff been done by characters which seems more in spirit with Hirano's manga. Pretty obvious the opinions and take divert if you read the booklets of the OVAs with staff interviews and the audio commentary in the episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
(Alucard and Seras are the two most popular characters in Hellsing after all).
Uh, what?
Spoiler for Lulz popularity:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
So you are saying that the previous episodes weren't watchable? Because Satelight, being not a very known studio and definitely not one of my favorites (while Madhouse is one of my favorites, you can tell by my signature what my favorite anime is) did an impressive and fantastic job on Hellsing.
Not to me, except for II which had some decent pacing. I was embarrassed after watching the first episode, the one I waited for a year to be produced and I was so excited about. I downloaded the first rip, I was a friend of the person who ripped it the first time (Bird of Hermes forums, sniff, old times). Absolutely embarrassed. I immediately retracted in any optimism I had by the OVA in my lj fl so my non Hellsing friends would NOT watch it (I had anticipated rec it before I watched it was my mistake). My opinion improved after episode II, but sadly again was let down for the episodes that came after. I fell asleep during episode III. Episode IV was forgettable to me.

Now, V+VI+VII saved the franchise from being a complete failure in my eyes and finally became what it was promised to be: ultimate. I thank Ueda for realizing the terrible direction he was taking (he learned from the TV series days!) before it was too late and fired a lot of the staff, changed director and studio. Now Hellsing OVA is on top of my personal Anime list, rightfully next to the Manga.

Not everyone likes the same things you do, please bear that in mind.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2010-02-01 at 17:16.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 17:09   Link #504
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roanapur
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Blame the distributor. Since I'm not from USA, I couldn't care less, though.
But this all started ever since they changed studios. So I think Madhouse has something to do with it. I'm also not from the USA, but I'd like to own the rest of the series since I own the others.

Quote:
For you, sure: to me is because it's a decent Dracula spin off. That's what it is, first and foremost. What makes Hellsing is that: the characters, the action is just an excuse to make them develop, IMO. *shrugs* Therefore -to me- Madhouse + Tanaka's take > Tokoro's and Satelight because they are putting emphasis on characters doing stuff and not stuff been done by characters which seems more in spirit with Hirano's manga.
Hellsing without action would just be another Vampire Knight (and I like this manga, but it certainly would not work with Hellsing). I don't think I can imagine Hellsing without all the gore and action. Heck, we might not even have gotten the OVAs without the action, because it wouldn't be that popular in the first place. You do not want a 50 minute OVA length of witty dialogue. I would say many fans of Hellsing would be disappointed.

Quote:
Not in Japan, Alucard and Anderson are, for the record. Integra and Seras ranked way after Anderson in the YKO character ranking. In Germany, it's Millennium, for what I heard. In Russia, they are Alucard and Integra. In Spanish-speaking fandoms, it's Integra. In Portuguese speaking fandoms, it's Seras and Walter. Depends where. For the OVA producer? His favorite character is Pip Bernadotte and you notice his bias in the episode OVA with the added material he gets (not that I mind because he's my favorite male character).
Source? I'd like to see myself. Ranking in countries sounds hilarious (Not surprised by Germany's choice if it's true).

Quote:
Not to me, except for II which had some decent pacing. I was embarrassed after watching the first episode, the one I waited for a year to be produced and I was so excited about. I downloaded the first rip, I was a friend of the person who ripped it the first time (Bird of Hermes forums, sniff, old times). Absolutely embarrassed. I immediately retracted in any optimism I had by the OVA in my lj fl so my non Hellsing friends would NOT watch it (I had anticipated rec it before I watched it was my mistake). My opinion improved after episode II, but sadly again was let down for the episodes that came after. I fell asleep during episode III. Episode IV was forgettable to me.
I also fell asleep watching Hellsing for the first time. But maybe that was because it was late at night and I was sitting on my comfortable sofa. But I have to admit, ep2 is by far my most favorite Hellsing episode. The action scenes were just incredible and the Valentine Brothers were hilarious (especially Jan, he was my favorite). The weakest episodes so far had been 5 and 6, while my favorites are 2 and 7. The first episode was decent, but that part wasn't even that great in the manga to begin with.

Quote:
Now, V+VI+VII saved the franchise from being a complete failure in my eyes and finally became what it was promised to be: ultimate. I thank Ueda for realizing the terrible direction he was taking (he learned from the TV series days!) before it was too late and fired a lot of the staff, changed director and studio. Now Hellsing OVA is on top of my personal Anime list, rightfully next to the Manga.
Well, I'd say the Hellsing Ultimate series saved the Hellsing franchise from being a total failure. As I said before, I dropped the manga somewhere around ch.40-50, and I watched the TV series before I ever was an anime fan, and it left a disappointing impression on me. I know not a lot of studios can pull off something like Satelight did with so much quality and virtue.

Quote:
Not everyone likes the same things you do, please bear that in mind.
An obvious statement. I could say the same to you.

Quote:
As for general fan thing, that depends where are you measuring popularity. From the fanlistings, livejournal communities, fandom-specialized forums and general open forums would be completely different from each others. So I wonder where do you measure this to give this wild-mass guessing that Alucard and Seras are the most popular characters, no contest?
Lets take in MAL for example.

Alucard - Member Favorites: 3887

Anderson - Member Favorites: 270

Walter - Member Favorites: 155

Seras Victoria - Member Favorites: 443

Integra - Member Favorites: 275

Such an obvious difference. I wonder if you could also back-up your argument and give me source from where you're getting the ranks from? Unless, of course, it's just a "wild-mass guessing" thing.
__________________

Last edited by Zwei; 2010-02-01 at 17:20.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 17:59   Link #505
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
But this all started ever since they changed studios. So I think Madhouse has something to do with it. I'm also not from the USA, but I'd like to own the rest of the series since I own the others.
Like I say, I buy the Japanese DVD, so I don't care much about this. I could dig up info and find out what's happening if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Hellsing without action would just be another Vampire Knight (and I like this manga, but it certainly would not work with Hellsing).
I hate Vampire Knight, so. You're misunderstanding me. Hellsing HAS to have action and horror and humor, but it's nice when they focus on characters doing the action rather action... and blood, soulless without showing the characters-trials to perform it, does this make sense?

Tokoro focused on action itself, then the characters. Tanaka focuses on characters doing the action, the subject rather than the object. That's why I enjoy Tanaka's take the best because I love Integra, Pip and Seras to bits and I am so grateful they didn't screwed up with Pip/Seras storyline (because it came with Madhouse take over) as they did to Integra development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Source? I'd like to see myself. Ranking in countries sounds hilarious (Not surprised by Germany's choice if it's true).
Spoiler for lulz popularity:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
I also fell asleep watching Hellsing for the first time. But maybe that was because it was late at night and I was sitting on my comfortable sofa.
I was on my chair over the PC, but it was so boring I fell asleep and worse? It was one of my favorite manga sequences. So it was such a sore let down to me. I was absolutely disappointed over the adaptation.

My OVA episode ranking

1. OVA VII.
2. OVA V & VI.
3. OVA II.
4. OVA IV.
5. OVA III.
6. OVA I.

I'm excited for OVA VIII thanks to my renewed interest.

Fair enough. Although financially, the TV series and manga success is what produced the OVA, you realize?

Wtf, double post.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2010-02-01 at 18:33.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 18:21   Link #506
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roanapur
Age: 22
So I wasn't the only one liking Rip van Winkle? Awesome. Her voice actress is also one of my favorites as she voices characters such as: Ryougi Shiki and Alphard. Well, about Seras, she is my favorite character along Integra and obviously Alucard. I was recommended Hellsing 3 years ago by someone on a MMORPG forum, but I got into the Hellsing Ultimate last year, so you could say I haven't been a fan as long as you have. The manga disappointed me quite a bit and dropped it, but I'll have to pick it up again because it's rare for me not to have read the original material of the adaptation, and since Hellsing Ultimate just entered into my favorites, then it is a must that I read it.

Of course, my opinion about the characters might change after I read both of the manga (I say both because I'm also planning to read the prequel that's currently being published).
__________________
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 18:27   Link #507
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Heavens no, you should have been in the fandom in the period of the English fandom of 2003-2005, so you're not the only one I assure you. There was even wank about Rip van Winkle's shirt being changed from white to pink in the OVA trailer and how her fans and cosplayers would leave FANDOM FOREVER due to that travesty. The amount of insane fan theories around Rip van Winkle in that period was later replaced by Captain (not Captain Bernadotte) worship (Johnathan Harker = Captain theory was one of the...most creative).

Anyways, Seras is one of my favorites, Integra's my first (only in the Manga, obviously. Hirano!Integra = hot and interesting), then Seras and Pip. Alucard became a favorite after volume 8... actually. I only liked his Dracula aspect before that point. Anderson was better for me pre v8. Actually, I don't care much about the prequel, The Dawn, because Seras, Pip and Integra aren't there. >_> It's good if you're a Millennium and Walter fan.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2010-02-01 at 18:41.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 18:39   Link #508
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
So I wasn't the only one liking Rip van Winkle? Awesome. Her voice actress is also one of my favorites as she voices characters such as: Ryougi Shiki and Alphard. Well, about Seras, she is my favorite character along Integra and obviously Alucard. I was recommended Hellsing 3 years ago by someone on a MMORPG forum, but I got into the Hellsing Ultimate last year, so you could say I haven't been a fan as long as you have. The manga disappointed me quite a bit and dropped it, but I'll have to pick it up again because it's rare for me not to have read the original material of the adaptation, and since Hellsing Ultimate just entered into my favorites, then it is a must that I read it.

Of course, my opinion about the characters might change after I read both of the manga (I say both because I'm also planning to read the prequel that's currently being published).
I liked RVW as well, Maaya Sakamoto did a great job espc singing the song. The only thing I didnt like was how she just kinda gave up when she sense Alcuard coming. But her musket was awesome
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 18:49   Link #509
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I agree, but the voice acting in Hellsing (at least the Japanese one, I can't botch by the awful SPANISH dub... where Young Integra sounds like regular Integra... God help us) is superb with A-class seiyuus: Jouji Nakata, Norio Wakamoto, Yoshiko Sakakibara, Fumiko Orikasa, Nobuo Tobita, Hiroaki Hirata, Kaori Mizuhashi, etc. So Maaya Sakamoto was the cherry on top.

On Rip: I used to like her but the overexposure to the fandom ruined my enjoyment of her for me. In fact, I stopped my casual like of Millennium because their rabid fans were so absolutely obnoxious. It was like a crime to support the protagonists over the villains or something. Meh.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 20:54   Link #510
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of Angels
Glad to see there is a healthy discussion going on. At least I won't have to moderate a pissing contest like I thought I would.

Long live Hellsing!
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 22:39   Link #511
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I'll say less discussion, more fanboy/girlish in this thread. Does anyone want the suilen lyrics? Because I can post them.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 07:40   Link #512
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
So I've been watching lately the 6th and 7th episodes of the Ultimate OAV series.

To my understanding Alucard is stuck on a warship and is therefore unable to reach London to stop the Major from destroying the city (at least not under a reasonable time). This suggests that Alucard is not able to swim a long distance (despite the fact he can't drown and shouldn't have stamina problems) and he isn't able to fly either. So he resorts to inhaling a massive quantity of air in order to make the whole warship move forward (I guess he's somehow releasing the air to his back... I have the feeling I don't want to know where the air is being released from!)

Anyway the point is that he has no other means to move fast across the ocean. I suppose that no matter if you are a vampire you aren't a superman that can fly at the speed of light.

But then at the end of EP7 I've seen something that left me confused. I've seen Seras Victoria flying. Yes... flying, incredibly fast, for several miles... what the hell?

Did she surpass her master or what?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 07:47   Link #513
NorthernFallout
/adjustglasses
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
To my understanding Alucard is stuck on a warship and is therefore unable to reach London to stop the Major from destroying the city (at least not under a reasonable time). This suggests that Alucard is not able to swim a long distance (despite the fact he can't drown and shouldn't have stamina problems) and he isn't able to fly either.

But then at the end of EP7 I've seen something that left me confused. I've seen Seras Victoria flying. Yes... flying, incredibly fast, for several miles... what the hell?

Did she surpass her master or what?
Alucard can only pass over water in an aircraft (or boat as seen. I guess this means any machine) and even then I think it weakens him (IIRC). Refer to vampire lore.

As for Seras, not only was she turned by Alucard, she also drank from a human (Pip). This makes her, from my understanding, a true vampire (compared to the other vampires in the series), with powers comparing to Alucard. She hasn't surpassed him though. He's still far, far above her level since he's the "King".
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | PSN: Northern__AX | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 16:02   Link #514
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Ow , got Suilen's songs , i really like her songs for the ED6 et ED7 !!
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 19:04   Link #515
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
So I've been watching lately the 6th and 7th episodes of the Ultimate OAV series.

To my understanding Alucard is stuck on a warship and is therefore unable to reach London to stop the Major from destroying the city (at least not under a reasonable time). This suggests that Alucard is not able to swim a long distance (despite the fact he can't drown and shouldn't have stamina problems) and he isn't able to fly either. So he resorts to inhaling a massive quantity of air in order to make the whole warship move forward (I guess he's somehow releasing the air to his back... I have the feeling I don't want to know where the air is being released from!)

Anyway the point is that he has no other means to move fast across the ocean. I suppose that no matter if you are a vampire you aren't a superman that can fly at the speed of light.

But then at the end of EP7 I've seen something that left me confused. I've seen Seras Victoria flying. Yes... flying, incredibly fast, for several miles... what the hell?

Did she surpass her master or what?
Seras is flying over land, not over moving bodies of water. Alucard is pretty much moving the carrier by haunting it and turning it into a ghost-ship. But magic can't replace the damaged turbines of the carrier.
The original novel had Alucard reaching England via a ghost ship while he sleeps in a coffin. In general vampire lore prevent them from crossing oceans under their own power. We are not sure if Alucard could have done anything if he fell into the sea; there is a strong possibility he would lose most of his power without going full-release. That was why Rip was trying to blast him off the carrier by her bullet.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 19:07   Link #516
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of Angels
ahh dammit! False alarm... *quickly puts his sword back on its sheath*
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 19:43   Link #517
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
As someone else explained, vampires in Hellsing cannot cross running water bodies unless is over something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Ow , got Suilen's songs , i really like her songs for the ED6 et ED7 !!
Do you want the lyrics?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 16:13   Link #518
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upper Austria
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
hi guys
i've got a question.

where can i watch OVA 5 to 7 ?
__________________
Black0raz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 16:22   Link #519
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
As someone else explained, vampires in Hellsing cannot cross running water bodies unless is over something.



Do you want the lyrics?
I already read the lyrics , thanks anyway ^^


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0raz0r View Post
hi guys
i've got a question.

where can i watch OVA 5 to 7 ?
It's licensed (read the rules for licensed show) so buy the dvd or search on google
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 16:35   Link #520
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upper Austria
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
I know

but in our country OVA5 and up still dont be released
__________________
Black0raz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.