AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

View Poll Results: What did you liked most?
saikano Manga 7 33.33%
Saikano Anime 13 61.90%
OVA 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-01-18, 23:17   Link #1
Sakuya
*Artist

Live Action Saikano

It seems the thread got erased? Anyway, the movie's release date is approaching soon. It will be released in Japanese movie theaters on January 28, 2006!

Meanwhile, we can satisfy ourselves with the live action Saikano Making Of DVD that will be released on January 20, 2006.

Lots of wallpapers and some photos. In my opinion, the blue wallpaper with Chise in the white dress is incredibly cheesy. It's just so fake! There's also a trailer if you haven't seen it yet. It's in the red bar, the fourth link.

http://www.saikano-movie.com/

Edit:
The wallpaper link is the last rectangular image at the bottom right of the page.

Last edited by Sakuya; 2006-01-19 at 01:42.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 06:41   Link #2
Yushi

O.O wow! just watched the preview and it actually looks very good, which was surprising. because usually when anime is turned into a 'live action' movie, the plot gets cheesy, actors don't have any feelings put into it and the special effects are so lame (at least the ones i came across)
But this looks very nice, are they planning on putting the entire manga into the movie ?o.O
^_^ really looking forward to it!
Yushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 10:49   Link #3
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
How they gonna compress the story into 2 hour movie format?
Old 2006-01-20, 16:47   Link #4
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yushi
O.O wow! just watched the preview and it actually looks very good, which was surprising. because usually when anime is turned into a 'live action' movie, the plot gets cheesy, actors don't have any feelings put into it and the special effects are so lame (at least the ones i came across)
But this looks very nice, are they planning on putting the entire manga into the movie ?o.O
^_^ really looking forward to it!
I really wonder what shows you watch...more often than not the live-actions are equally as good as the anime series. Granted their budget isn't typically as large as anything that a place like Hollywood would produce, given their commitment to the story and all, it's on par.

As for the live-action SaiKano...let's just hope that they don't get too fanservice-y like they did with Another Love Song :P
Old 2006-01-20, 17:01   Link #5
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I absolutely completely and totally loathe Japanese live action in all it's incarnations, and I've seen a fair amount of it too, which is sad. However, I'm a huge Saikano fan. So I guess I'll check it out.
Old 2006-01-20, 17:09   Link #6
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
I really wonder what shows you watch...more often than not the live-actions are equally as good as the anime series. Granted their budget isn't typically as large as anything that a place like Hollywood would produce, given their commitment to the story and all, it's on par.
Care to give an example? The only one I've seen is the Gundam one, way back in Otakon 2001. The only others I'm aware of are still in preproduction. And no, I haven't seen any DBZ live-action.

And I watch a lot of Japanese live-action horror. Like anime, the maximum effect for minimal budget is evident. Very efficient filmmaking, I might add. Even if they weren't horror I'd still want to watch them, but don't get a lot of opportunities. The only problem is that I keep on expecting all the girls to have coquettish voices and all the guys to sound like pimps...and then shockingly...they sound like normal people
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 17:20   Link #7
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Care to give an example? The only one I've seen is the Gundam one, way back in Otakon 2001. The only others I'm aware of are still in preproduction. And no, I haven't seen any DBZ live-action.

And I watch a lot of Japanese live-action horror. Like anime, the maximum effect for minimal budget is evident. Very efficient filmmaking, I might add. Even if they weren't horror I'd still want to watch them, but don't get a lot of opportunities. The only problem is that I keep on expecting all the girls to have coquettish voices and all the guys to sound like pimps...and then shockingly...they sound like normal people
Lets see, examples eh...

The Sailor Moon ones were decent and stuck true to the story...sure, effects and what-not were campy, but can't fault them for having a fairly low budget. Cutey Honey live action was damn good in my opinion based upon the source material.

Those were just a couple, I'm sure others can come in with a few of their own.
Old 2006-01-20, 17:24   Link #8
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

I saw this in the january New Type issue. Oh my god, this is gonna be so gooooood. The anime had such a good finale and I'd really love to see this.

I just can't wait, oh damn.
Old 2006-01-20, 18:06   Link #9
Sakuya
*Artist

Some good live action ones I watched were GTO and Hotaru no Haka. However, the GTO's ending was a bit cheesy. Hotaru no Haka, even though not really based on an anime but a novel as I was told, was just as emotinal as the anime! It's really good and sad.

Oh yeah, and not to mention the recent successful Hana Yori Dango drama but I didn't watch that.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 05:47   Link #10
Yushi

I didn't really like the sailor moon Live action ....the fighting scenes were so ....fake O.O but I guess they couldn't afford stunt doubles.
and the 'magical' effects..... plus the acting wasn't that good. hehe
I have to say the biggest problem with live action is (at least the ones i've seen) that the actors don't put enough feelings into it, it's like they didn't take it seriously.
But of course i've only watched oh so many live action movies....^^; so yeah.....

But from what I saw in the saikano live action preview, everything looks very good. I think the CG is pretty darn decent, and Chise looks so cute! ^_^ Darn if it's going to theatres on the 28th.....how long would it take for the DVD to come out? O.O
Yushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 09:15   Link #11
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

They're usually pretty quick with it.

And yeah, I feel the same way regarding the effects and acting. I've seen all the movies mentioned so far and the camera, effects and acting just look like some highschool film project. It's like they don't give a damn about their jobs or the wonderful characters they're supposed to be playing. I guess it's one of the spoil effects of living with something huge like Hollywood. When you eat lobster, crab just does't taste soo good anymore.

Hopefully Saikano will change my opinion of this. At least the effects look pretty decent.
Old 2006-01-21, 10:43   Link #12
Pleroma

Chise looks too damn old, I really feel they botched it by not casting someone that actually looked like a high school girl. A large part of Chise's impact as a character is her seeming childlike frailness.
Pleroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 13:24   Link #13
kokanaden
otaku-hikikomori

Send a message via ICQ to kokanaden Send a message via MSN to kokanaden
Just watched the trailer. Quite true, that the main characters do not look like high-school students at all. Still, saikano was one anime that has been stuck on my mind for a long time now since I first watched it, and am looking forward to the live actions movie actually.

Lets critique it again after watching the movie then. Meanwhile, I still have my Saikano OVAs to catch up on.....

I love <insert name of girl with blue hair, is sporty, is about 1.78m tall, has character, has shapely legs.>*

*sounds suspiciously like Mitsuki Hayase again
kokanaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 18:43   Link #14
navi432001
Completely Unproductive

It's just not the same feel as the anime, I supose. But I will deffinitely be watching this movie just because Saikano is in the top 10 in my anime lists' best.
navi432001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 23:42   Link #15
Neohybrid_kai
Ikemasen, ojou-sama!

Send a message via Yahoo to Neohybrid_kai
I've seen the trailer.The effects are quite good. I hope the movie is not dissappointing (talk about sory, saikano has a long and complicated story, but maybe the movie will focused only in shuuji-chise relationship) . SaiKano is my 2nd favorite anime after AIR
And yea, the cast for chise seems a bit too, um, tall? but I think she's cute enough
and did anyone realize that shuuji is not wearing glasses? +_+

January 28th is the premiere time in japan movie theatre right?
what about the DVD version release date?
Old 2006-01-24, 16:14   Link #16
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Interesting trailer at the least, thanks for the link. Hope it's as good as the anime.

As for worthy live actions, Great Teacher Onizuka and Hana Yori Dango come to mind. Although they differ from their anime/manga counterparts, both are simply amazing!
Old 2006-01-24, 18:56   Link #17
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
I doubt this will be any good, you can laugh at me later if it does but I don't see that happening.
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 16:03   Link #18
Mephisto2k
anime4life

wow, just seen the trailer.
For those who wanna know where to find a subbed trailer for bt; theres a link posted in this forum in "torrent submissions" or something like that.

Im not really into japanese live action yer, but after that awesome trailer i think its just a matter of time untill i will be...
I got the feeling that the ending will be better than that of the anime series for my taste.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 18:57   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Yeah nothing beats GTO live-action...You don't even have to know or ever watch the anime to fall in love with this show...I was totally surprised by how good and emotionally satisfying that show is...That show actually has the potential to change someones life...If Saikano live action can be half as good as GTO it'll be a success...I'm just gonna grind my teeth and hope the scenes with Chise having wings and shooting stuff doesn't look too cheesy...I mean if they don't pull that off it could be a problem...And i hope the main guy character doesn't say the name "Chise" 500 times per episode like in the anime :|...
Old 2006-02-14, 19:42   Link #20
ultrataro

You need a certain amount of tolerance for the cheesyness & low budget of Japanese L/A. And i have to agree that it's rare when i've seen a live action version that was better than the anime. Perhaps almost as good, but not better. I can think of a recent example of really bad L/A. Devilman, ouch. The trailers looked promising, but the actual movie was pretty bad. Casshern though visually was pretty good, I could barely take it. I never seen the anime though so can't say if it was better. Cutie Honey was a rare case of rivaling the anime (Re:Cutie Honey) because it had the camp working for it. The acting was pretty bad, but she was so cute. LA Sailor moon kinda goes in that category too, the camp & freshman acting is part of the charm. GTO is up there, & in some ways i preferred the LA Gokusen. Taiho Shichao Zo LA was fun, but I would say was not as good as the anime. They'd have a hard time coming up with the budget just to get the real vehicles. Ace Wo Nerae is also hit with some mediocre acting/overacting, but I think the original material is pretty melodramatic to begin with. Kikaida/der and Sukeban Deka are rare cases of L/A preceeding anime. Both are big cult classics. The L/A Zeiram has got some good stuff, it helps when they get a hot actress. I haven't seen the L/A Boogiepop Phantom. And then there's the rumblings of American L/A productions of anime shows. I haven't made myself watch Guyver. Don't know what happened with Witch Hunter Robin. Battle Angel Alita is floating around as was Evangelion.

I dunno, L/A versions don't have the greatest track record.
ultrataro is offline   Reply With Quote