AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

View Poll Results: Is AMG harem anime?
Yes 64 22.61%
No 219 77.39%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-04-22, 00:25   Link #21
saravis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Taken from dictionary.com:
Harem: A GROUP of woman SEXUAL partners for one man
This show is not Harem, Keichi is only interested in Belldandy he only talks about Belldandy and any reference to any sort of interest in him from any of the other characters is only meant to "motivate" character development and not for any sort of "relationship"
saravis is offline  
Old 2006-04-22, 07:00   Link #22
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis
Taken from dictionary.com:
Harem: A GROUP of woman SEXUAL partners for one man
This show is not Harem, Keichi is only interested in Belldandy he only talks about Belldandy and any reference to any sort of interest in him from any of the other characters is only meant to "motivate" character development and not for any sort of "relationship"
By that definition 90% of widely accepted harem animes wouldn't count either. Not that I have a problem with you defining it that way, but I thought I'd point it out.
__________________
rooboy is offline  
Old 2006-04-22, 11:43   Link #23
saravis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Then perhaps not all Harem animes are truly Harem animes, but let me go further
Once again taken from dictionary.com
Sexual: Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity
With that said Harem Anime doesn't have to mean that they're physically involved, it could just mean that they look at each other in sexual ways, that they are interested in each other as a man would a woman. As I said in my previous post Keichi is only interested in Belldandy, he does not care for the others and any reference to any sort of interest in him from any of the other characters is meant only to provide an obstacle to their relationship, not to develop a relationship with that character.
saravis is offline  
Old 2006-04-22, 21:00   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Sorry, but in the circumstance, who gives a damn about what dictionary.com has to say?
Anh_Minh is online now  
Old 2006-04-22, 21:34   Link #25
saravis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Um you have anything more to add to that little post of yours. Sorry, but I'm having a little difficulty understanding what your trying to get at. Are you saying that you don't agree with the definition (I don't see why not seems pretty accurate to me) or you don't like it or... I don't know. And may I ask what circumstances your refering to.
saravis is offline  
Old 2006-04-29, 08:04   Link #26
jtrog
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Basically, from all stories standpoints which most answers have come from, AMG is 66 percent inclined to be a harem anime. Family relations of belldandy skurd urd and kei's sister block the other 34 percent.

BTW!!! NO one has mentioned GOD. Look at who and how many he has 'Serving him' as well as how he lets them dress.

From my standpoint, I would have it no other way than to have a huge number of females running my 'business' as 'he' does 'upthere' in this show and it is very cute that they can do pretty much as they wish to .
jtrog is offline  
Old 2006-05-07, 03:13   Link #27
NaNash|
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
No. Dun even feel a hint of harem.
NaNash| is offline  
Old 2006-05-07, 10:50   Link #28
Altrisha
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manila, Philippines
For some reason I get irritated when someone says something bad about Belldandy and Ah! My Goddess in particular... Weird...
Altrisha is offline  
Old 2006-05-22, 04:29   Link #29
Keiichi Morisato
Belldandy's Betrothed
 
Join Date: May 2006
I t hink the problem with this is that everyone thinks that Keiichi is after the other goddesses and women in the AMG universe. But, the truth of the matter is that Keiichi is only in love with Belldandy and is the only one he wants. It's the other girtls in the anime who meet Keiichi and discover they have feelings for him not the other way around.

In order for this series to be considered a harem anime series is that there has to be some mutual affection between the main male character and the female characters. Sister Princess, Love Hina, Maburaho, Tenchi Muyo, Hanaukyo Maid Team, could all be considered harem anime but not Ah My Goddess.
Keiichi Morisato is offline  
Old 2006-05-22, 09:49   Link #30
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
^ It may be what he thinks he wants, but the idea that made the manga so interesting was that the other characters made him think it again. So I would call OMG a "harem" serie, especially if you stop reading before the author decided to ditch the story and rip off the money.

Interesting that you mention Tenchi Muyo, since the protagonist of that serie is a wimp that never confesses anything to anyone of the other cast. When was the last time the author decided to advance Belldandy's and Keiichi's relationship after the initial first kiss + stuff issues? In fact, it has been for the most part about him and the other girls, Belldandy becoming a "taken for granted" wife for him.
Ending is offline  
Old 2006-05-29, 22:46   Link #31
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrog
Basically, from all stories standpoints which most answers have come from, AMG is 66 percent inclined to be a harem anime. Family relations of belldandy skurd urd and kei's sister block the other 34 percent.

BTW!!! NO one has mentioned GOD. Look at who and how many he has 'Serving him' as well as how he lets them dress.

From my standpoint, I would have it no other way than to have a huge number of females running my 'business' as 'he' does 'upthere' in this show and it is very cute that they can do pretty much as they wish to .
Back in the day, when I first saw the AMG OAV series (was it on VHS or the Laserdisks?), we didn't know from harem animes. And none of my anime watching friends really entertained the notion of Keiichi's sister as a rival for Belldandy, although I must admit the little sister dynamic has changed a bit. We didn't consider any of the girls rivals or even real impediments. Belldandy had patience befitting her station as a goddess and Keiichi was... (How should I put this delicately?) The world's biggest, most infuriatingly poultry-like chicken!!! How long have they been dating? Seventeen years?

That poor, poor girl.

Now, I don't agree with you about Keiichi as harem lead, but your point about God is brilliant. It never occurred to me, but you're absolutely right. God has the mother of all harems. And they absolutely do dress the part. It must be good to be the Diety.
__________________
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline  
Old 2006-05-29, 23:15   Link #32
Decel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
Back in the day, when I first saw the AMG OAV series (was it on VHS or the Laserdisks?), we didn't know from harem animes. And none of my anime watching friends really entertained the notion of Keiichi's sister as a rival for Belldandy, although I must admit the little sister dynamic has changed a bit. We didn't consider any of the girls rivals or even real impediments. Belldandy had patience befitting her station as a goddess and Keiichi was... (How should I put this delicately?) The world's biggest, most infuriatingly poultry-like chicken!!! How long have they been dating? Seventeen years?

That poor, poor girl.

Now, I don't agree with you about Keiichi as harem lead, but your point about God is brilliant. It never occurred to me, but you're absolutely right. God has the mother of all harems. And they absolutely do dress the part. It must be good to be the Diety.
Oh how I loved the OAV (I have it on tape). I prefer the OAV's keisuke look over the TV one for some reason. Skuld always had a thing for Keisuke, but indeed it seems more pronounced in the TV's ep 26.

And what's 17 years for a goddess? Probably the equivalent of the time we take to brush our teeth.

Heaven must be bliss. The only male I saw up there aside from God was that guy overlooking Belldandy/Urd when they were kids (in the TV and in the movie, same guy right?) compared to how many departments of goddesses?

Anyone know the number Keisuke dialed?
__________________
2006- The year of the invasion of the Suzumiya Haruhi avatars and signature logos
Decel is offline  
Old 2006-05-29, 23:35   Link #33
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nekomi City, Chiba Prefecture,Japan
Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Who the hell's Keisuke?
Keiichi_chan is offline  
Old 2006-05-29, 23:51   Link #34
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan
Who the hell's Keisuke?
I'm guessing it's an accidental fusion of Keiichi and Kyousuke, the male lead in Kimagure Orange Road. If I'm right, it's an honest, old school mistake. They may be the prototypes for the male harem lead.
__________________

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2006-05-30 at 00:02.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline  
Old 2006-05-30, 08:49   Link #35
Decel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan
Who the hell's Keisuke?
Ah yes, this is what I get for posting so damn late Reading Adachi's Rough manga at the time didn't help either

I meant Keiichi, sorry about that.
__________________
2006- The year of the invasion of the Suzumiya Haruhi avatars and signature logos
Decel is offline  
Old 2006-06-06, 11:05   Link #36
geowrian
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Harem?

"Ai Yori Aoshi would also qualify [as harem] (as the male lead has some level of attachment to both Aoi and Tina)."

I disagree...he has an attachment to Tina, but I don't see any hint of it being romantic. He just likes Tina like any of his other close friends at the house. I've been following the manga for a while now and haven't seen anything to indicate that his feelings were for anybody but Aoi.

Anyway, I don't think AMG is harem simple by the fact that it is about two people and their love for each other. In my opinion, if you removed Urd or Skuld from the series, then you would still have the same basic storyline. If the two of them were gone, I don't see how anybody could call it harem anymore. Therefore, I don't see how it is harem since the only somewhat harem aspect (Kei living with multiple women) doesn't greatly affect the general plot.
geowrian is offline  
Old 2006-06-06, 20:48   Link #37
hyperblaster
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I've been a fan of AMG for a long time. The series does have many of the aspects of a harem anime, but it is not one.

First, let's take a look at Kosuke Fujishima's other anime. You're Under Arrest and eX-driver both have female leads. In fact, barring AMG, none of his anime have *any* male leads.

Second, K1 is already taken. A harem anime requires an eligible young man surrounded by potential girlfriends. As for K1 and Bell, they are practically married.
hyperblaster is offline  
Old 2006-06-08, 06:20   Link #38
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It is not a harem anime for one simple reason. Keichi is interested in one girl and only one girl, without exception. Since his mind is already made up, there cannot be any confusion as to what his choice is. The only question is how slowly their relationship will form and if anything will happen to derail it.

A harem show requires that there be options which the male lead will at least be intrigued by.
While I agree that this isn't a harem title, K1 has been at least somewhat interested in both Urd and Peorth (at least in the manga), but Belldandy wins.

Ai Yori Aoshi is very much a harem title. Yet Kaoru is only in love with one girl -- Aoi-chan and she with him. The harem aspects come up when a bunch of other girls move into Aoi-chan's mansion and all of the girls are in love with Kaoru. Now there is no doubt that Kaoru and Aoi-chan are the couple, but since they have to keep the relationship secret for political reasons (regarding both of their families), the other girls assume he's free and the fun begins.

What discounts AMS as a harem title is the fact that while all the girls like K1 as a friend, none (except maybe Peorth) see him as anything more for themselves...if that makes sense. Sayoko in the manga was the only other girl to find herself falling for K1, but as soon as that happened, Fujishima-sensei dropped her like a hot potato.
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline  
Old 2006-06-08, 11:16   Link #39
Mephisto2k
anime4life
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis
Taken from dictionary.com:
Harem: A GROUP of woman SEXUAL partners for one man
This show is not Harem, Keichi is only interested in Belldandy he only talks about Belldandy and any reference to any sort of interest in him from any of the other characters is only meant to "motivate" character development and not for any sort of "relationship"

please dont take definitions of dictionary.com to explain anime vocabulary because it simply doesnt apply. Furthermore as far as i know there is really no commenly accepted definition for the anime herem genre. But for my personal definition it is enough to have half a douzen girls in your surrounding that fall in love with you. There are many titles where the winner is known from the beginning but that doesnt change the fact that all the other girls are in love with him to and he still "would" have a "choice" theoretically. Of course AmG is not the most typical and "haremishest" harem out there, but there are still clear harem characteristics. Its not just the love but the fact that 3-4 girls are living with him and there is still the "who wouldnt want to be together with a goddess(catgirl, mahou shoujo, maid,alien,maid, and whateven fantasy)-girl which is also aften used in harem. As i said, its not the mother of all harems, but i voted YES.

Edit: acctualy i just found out that there is a AmG character listed in the harem wikipedia article as an example for typical harem cast...
on the other had that character listing doesnt seem to be very proffesional because they seem to base their listing on very few animes so that the "typical" characters seem to be taken out of certain specific animes and arnt that usual in other titles, or at least not in that detail.

Last edited by Mephisto2k; 2006-06-08 at 11:33.
Mephisto2k is offline  
Old 2006-06-09, 20:37   Link #40
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nekomi City, Chiba Prefecture,Japan
Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Quote:
I meant Keiichi, sorry about that.
I know it was a mistake. I was just teasing you abit.

And K1's shown sexual interest in pretty much EVERY girl around him,except his sis. I mean he is a human male. A human male who never got any female attention pre-Bell. Now his life is filled with ubber hawt women who all wanna bed him. What do you expect? K1's only mortal.

Last edited by Keiichi_chan; 2006-06-09 at 20:52.
Keiichi_chan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.