AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-21, 12:31   Link #1
Dreamy Kid2

Bittorent & Hard Drive risk

Hi guys, i was just wondering if heavy bittorent use have a high risk of killing your hard drive. I guess i'm just a bit paranoid after one of my drive failed without a reason, i dont know whether it's because of bittorent or not though.

I've done some research regarding this matter and got a mixed information, i hope you guys can share a bit about your own experience in this thread.

Do you think it will help if I use an external hard drive and do all the bittorent related activity from that drive?

thank you so much, i really appreciate it
Old 2006-01-21, 12:37   Link #2
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

The only reason that bittorrent would screw your hard disk up is simply because it just writes to disk continually, unlike other apps. If your hard disk is going to crash, it will - bittorrent won't affect that. What it might do is reduce the MTBF of your drive, but the change would probably be insignificant.

If you directly bittorrent to a removeable drive, I daresay your performance would SUCK.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 12:54   Link #3
DaFool
Resident devil

I have an old SCSI disk that likes to provide IO errors after heavy bittorrent use (files > 500mb). However if I just stick with IRC downloads its fine. I guess it has to do with the constant calculation of allocation space.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 13:44   Link #4
Dreamy Kid2

circular logic, thats what i thought too, I'm afraid that the performance would suck if i run the bittorent from removable drive, even though it seems safer * sigh. I'm using an external hd with firewire at the moment, anyone ever tried this before ?
Old 2006-01-21, 13:54   Link #5
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Firewire is a bit faster than usb so performance wouldnt suck all that much. Though increasing your Write Cache on your bittorrent client can help a bit on harddrive writing.

Last edited by Kurz; 2006-01-21 at 18:11.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 00:06   Link #6
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
Firewire is a bit faster than usb so performance wouldnt suck all that much.
Even though in terms of raw megabittage per second, USB2 is faster, I take there's more associated overhead with USB2?

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 00:09   Link #7
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
ALtho not as heavily, you are almost constantly writing to your harddrive when you are using your PC anyway, because of pagefile...windows likes to use HDD pagefile even when you have plenty of ram, not to mention adding files to cache and everything else that every day use can cause.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 01:57   Link #8
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

If you really want to save your HD, get more RAM. As RAM is used up, the data is cached to your HD, FIFO method. Create a RAMDISK and save your files there until you move it to your HD. Risk: if you lose power, your data is lost.

Note: Pagefile and windows caching is exempt since Windows always cache to HD after x processes to free up RAM.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 06:00   Link #9
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman
Even though in terms of raw megabittage per second, USB2 is faster, I take there's more associated overhead with USB2?
USB: 12 Mb/s
USB2: 480 Mb/s
Firewire: 400 Mb/s
Firewire800: 800Mb/s

Firewire tends to be superior to USB in terms of heavy data transfer (even FW400).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
If you really want to save your HD, get more RAM. As RAM is used up, the data is cached to your HD, FIFO method. Create a RAMDISK and save your files there until you move it to your HD.
This is a good advice. Even without the ramdisk part, getting more RAM helps quite a bit, as your OS caches the data it's reading to RAM, which means zero to little HDD access when uploading. You may also want to try BitTornado's "normal" allocation mode, it (theoretically) helps to minimise HDD seeking while downloading.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 01:32   Link #10
Dreamy Kid2

thank you people for all your nice advices, however i've got some question to ask after reading all your replies.

I have 2 HD in my pc, the first HD contains all of my softwares including operating system. The secondary drive contains bittorent and all of downloaded files, so practically i run bittorent from the secondary HD, it's internal so speed is not the problem.
My questions are : Do you think main drive will be affected by Bittorent ( which is run from the secondary HD )? (suppose BT give whatever bad effects to the HD )

My main HD is really low in space ( only a few gigs left, i should really do some clean up ), do you think it is ok when i'm downloading with bittorent, i was just afraid that it's damaging to the HD or something

lastly, can anyone explain to me about : BitTornado's "normal" allocation mode, is it better for the hd? is it affecting the dl speed? the pros and cons maybe ^__^??

thank you guys for your kind reply, i really appreciate your help
Old 2006-01-26, 05:06   Link #11
07ChanF
Mass Dictionary Lookup...

Question 1: Yes your main drive will be affected if it is the drive which contains the pagefile for windows since all programs store temporary data in the pagefile when RAM runs out.
Question 2: Don't worry. Most BT clients these days cached the data to be written to disk to try and minimise the amounts of writes to disk. Most of this should be considered as normal wear and tear. Low space on hard drivess does nothing unless you try to run alot of space hogging programs (I normally run BT with 1 80Gb hard drive with only 600Mb free space, no problems and my hard drive has kept this up for 3 or so years without any adverse effects)
Question 3: BitTornado's normal allocation mode is where hard disk space is allocated before the download starts. This lessens the fragmentation of the file so that the file will be attempted to be placed in one chunk. The other method is where the file is written bit by bit as it comes in during the disk flushes of the BT program. The difference between methods is speed of reading the file after the download completes.
Old 2006-01-27, 02:51   Link #12
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ChanF
Question 3: BitTornado's normal allocation mode is where hard disk space is allocated before the download starts.
Actually, that's called the "pre-allocate" mode. The "normal" mode I was referring to dynamically allocates the files linearly as they are downloading. This (in theory) means that the hard drive does not have to seek that much [1] during the downloading, as the pieces are downloaded randomly but stored linearly. BT will reorder the pieces upon finishing download. Yes, this probably sounds confusing.

[1] Compared to "pre-allocate" and "sparse" modes, where the drive will have to pretty much seek all over the file.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 15:42   Link #13
Dreamy Kid2

thank you , i really appreciate all your replies. It's really helpful for me