AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-23, 04:12   Link #1
ruchik

resizing an image in photoshop

hey guys-can anyone please tell me how to resize an image in adobe photoshop cs2? i have a couple humongous desktop wallpapers that i downloaded, and theyre way too big for my screen, so i wanted to make the images smaller so they can fit my desktop. any help would be appreciated. if it can be done without photoshop, id like to kno that as well. thanks.
ruchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 05:32   Link #2
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Windows has had an option to scale desktop wallpapers for a decade now. Use that.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 11:02   Link #3
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
Windows has had an option to scale desktop wallpapers for a decade now. Use that.

And get a pixelated, cruddy image that eats up more resources than it should?

if CS2 is anything like Photoshop 7, Should be as simple as going to the top toolbar, clicking image, then on the menu that drops down click resize image [ do not resize canvas ]

Then enter the dimentions you want, and poof.

If it still dosn't work, get me on AIM and I'll do it for you.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 19:18   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
And get a pixelated, cruddy image that eats up more resources than it should?
Huh? He's scaling down, not up. Photoshop may have a superior resize algorithm to what Windows uses, but if you're scaling down, it'd take a broken algorithm to make that look bad. Unless you're scaling from one ratio to another (16:9 to a 4:3) or something incredibly large to something incredibly small (desktop wallpaper to a mobile phone, for example). However, it wouldn't be pixelated, just impossible to make out the details.

The windows option should be fine. If you insist on scaling them down in Photoshop, Komataguri's advice works just fine. Just make sure that when you "save for web" you set the quality to at least greater than 80%.
Old 2006-01-23, 20:43   Link #5
ruchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu

....can you tell me how?
Old 2006-01-23, 22:34   Link #6
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

err just re read this properly never mind my post lol
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 23:46   Link #7
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchik
hey guys-can anyone please tell me how to resize an image in adobe photoshop cs2? i have a couple humongous desktop wallpapers that i downloaded, and theyre way too big for my screen, so i wanted to make the images smaller so they can fit my desktop.
How huge?

Anyway, as I always seem to say, PhotoShop™ does ship with its own Help files. They're insanely easy to find:

But...if those don't help, then all you need to do is go Image > "Image Size..."

That will give you separate window where you can adjust your image size if need be:

Enter the dimensions you desire, "click", Save and you're done. You can find all this via Google.com as well

-> photoshop image resize (search results)

If you have any further PhotoShop questions, type them directly into Google. Chances are, someone has asked and there's an answer already out "there" ("there" being allegorical of course). But really, check the Help files that ship with PhotoShop if your copy didn't come with a printed manual. Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 23:53   Link #8
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

I can't believe such a simple problem is taking so much posts to solve.

Quote:
....can you tell me how?
Just use the wallpaper, Windows will automatically resize it.

DOCKING MODE~
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 00:54   Link #9
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection

Just select the "stretch" option there, and Windows will automatically fit the wallpaper accordingly based on your display resolution. I'm assuming you can at least get to that window.
Old 2006-01-24, 01:23   Link #10
ruchik

aite im not THAT dumb. the reason i was asking for help was that right now im dling photoshop, and rite now whenever i try to use the wallpapers that i have, theyre so big that even if windows does automatically resize it the image shows up in the background amazingly huge, and i can only see part of the picture. i was asking whether or not windows had some editing program like paint which could be used to downsize an image.
Old 2006-01-24, 02:11   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
whenever i try to use the wallpapers that i have, theyre so big that even if windows does automatically resize it the image shows up in the background amazingly huge, and i can only see part of the picture.
I can't think of any scenario where that could happen, unless you're using some really weird aspect resolution. What resolution is your desktop, and what resolution is the image you're trying to apply as a wallpaper?