AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-23, 17:14   Link #1
mit7059

Romance Anime Binge

I am currently on a Romance Anime Binge, I have recentely watched Shuffle!, Suzuka, Da Capo, DN Angel, Air, FMP FUMMOFU and I just finished Aishiteru ze Baby which is now one of my favorite animes of all time. I would prefer unlicenced anime but all suggestions are appreciated. I also prefer non-depressing endings if thats anyway possible.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-01-23, 17:29   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059I
just finished Aishiteru ze Baby which is now one of my favorite animes of all time
I'm hearing this sentence more and more often lately, and it makes me very happy ^^

Romance unlicensed?

Futakoi is the first I could think of, harem with a switch, instead of single girls, they come at couple of twins.

Honey & Clover You may not want miss this one, acclaimed as one of the best anime of 2005. Smart comedy, romance involved.

Karin ongoing series, very sweet, funny and with deep moments as well. Vampires in it, but not scary.

Kashimashi - Girl Meets Girl - another ongoing series, the plot is quite difficult to explain. Anyway you have basically one guy and two girls for a triangle. The problem is that the main guy is turned into a girl by the aliens! So you actually get a triangle with three girls. But the anime is very good, with a stellar Voice Acting cast.

Third and fourth are ongoing, thus not complete, it was for the sake of unlicensed.

Among the licensed, I could point at:

Midori no Hibi: crazy/funny romance comedy. This was one of the best of 2004.

DearS: almost a clone of Chobits, but very light and entertaining

Not licensed, but not linked on AS either:

School Rumble school humor at highest level for an unforgettable show.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien which seems to be seen as the king of romance anime nonetheless. Although I don't agree very much, I still consider it at least a must see.
But be careful: it's very depressing, from near the beginning to the very end. So maybe you won't like this (as stated by you: no sad endings).
Old 2006-01-23, 17:56   Link #3
Furudanuki

In addition to Pellissier's suggestions, you might want to look into:

Unlicensed:

Canvas 2 ~ Niji-iro no Sketch ~ -- This series is still ongoing, so I cannot promise a happy ending. Fairly lighthearted with some drama involved, but the angst level has mostly been low thus far.

Lamune -- Very sweet romance with strong emphasis on the relationship of the two main characters. This show is not for everyone - it moves at a very relaxed pace and the focus is on day-to-day life, so I do not recommend it if you want a lot of action mixed in with the romance.

Natsuiro no Sunadokei -- This one is a short, two-episode series that mixes time travel and romance. Interesting story line and pretty animation, plus features an amazing VA cast. Bit of advice: if you dislike harem anime, do not let all the girls shown in the opening fool you into thinking this show will be one; there is only a single love interest.

Licensed:

Ah! My Goddess -- Belldandy. Need I say more?
Now watching: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, Allison to Lillia, Clannad - After Story, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Hidamari Sketch x365, Kannagi, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~, Telepathy Girl Ran, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Zettai Karen Children
Recently completed: Ghost Hound, Aria: The Origination, Kanokon, Kure-nai, Itazura na Kiss, Special A, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Macross Frontier, Ryouko's Case File, ToLoveRU, Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Old 2006-01-23, 18:20   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The first thing you should watch is Peach Girl. It is a good way to get your high school romance fix. It's sweet and quirky and always keeps you surprised by the next twist of the story. Not nearly as gentle as Aishiteruze Baby, but you'll find that it gets you just as involved in the characters.

After that, try Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~. This show is full of love romance, a healthy dash of school life, lots of comedy and just a small touch of magic. The story is about a college freshman who is moving into a boarding house near his new school. Once he gets there he finds that it is full of unusual people (some of whom are quite cute) and a rather beautiful high-school aged landlady who he falls head over heels for. Unfortunately, his life is full of complications - many of his fellow borders are extremely troublesome and it turns out that his new crush is... rather unique.

Slightly more off the track is Paradise Kiss - The story of a high school girl who falls in with a bad crowd... of fashion design students. Suddenly she is immersed in a world that she never imagined where people are pursuing their dreams instead of just doing what they are supposed to. Now she begins to discover what she really wants in life... and love.

Finally, if you really want to try something different, download Tenshi na Konamaiki. This is equal parts romance and comedy. In episode one, the main character is magically transformed from a boy to a girl, so it has some serious gender wierdness, but strangely this isn't a wierd show. This is a show about romance, not magic, whose theme is about exploring the underlying differences between men and women. This is fun and romantic and sometimes very insightful.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-23, 18:40   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien which seems to be seen as the king of romance anime nonetheless. Although I don't agree very much, I still consider it at least a must see.
But be careful: it's very depressing, from near the beginning to the very end. So maybe you won't like this (as stated by you: no sad endings).
The ending is depressing only depending on which girl you pick Kinda like Shuffle.

Going to recommand a few old school stuff:

Kimagure orange Road, 40 Ep Tv, 8 Ep oav and 2 movies to tie things up.

Marmalade Boy, 76 Ep tv series. Gets bog down a bit in the middle.

Plenty of Love triangles but no harems.
Old 2006-01-23, 18:59   Link #6
Pleroma

Its licenced, but worth mentioning: Koi Kaze, while a little controvertial I recently rewatched it and remembered just how wonderful it was. Best romance Anime I've seen without doubt.

Also, I you liked Air you should check out the somewhat similar Kanon.
Old 2006-01-23, 21:30   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Romance anime eh?

unlicensed:

okusama wa joushi kousei: nice storyline and it has a lot of romance

karin: super-natural kind of romance

kashimashi: school romance -> with some twist though

canvas 2: you really don't need to see the first one to watch this. another good romance anime. it has love triangle (or whatever sides you might want to add)

Licensed:

petite princess yucie: childish but addictive. it has love story too (watch it to know what i mean)
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-01-23, 21:34   Link #8
mit7059

Currently downloading Honey and Clover, Lamune and Mahoraba, should keep me busy for a week or two, I'll try some of the others once im done with these, thanks all.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-02-01, 19:15   Link #9
Juan Valdez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
The only series I know where the fansubbers said (in the final episode) that you should have watched something else
Old 2006-02-01, 20:18   Link #10
lemondude
"super lemon"

If okusama wa joushi kousei is wat I think it is. ( where the high school girl married her teacher) Then wat ever you do don't watch it it is the worst I mean THE WORST.
if anything watch onegai teacher similar theme except a male student married a female teacher in this case. It's way better.

Edit: just confirmed it, it is wat I think it is, so don't download or buy it no matter wat.

Suggestions
Onegai teacher
Chobit ( bit wierd with the man+machine theme)
Green Green
Love Love?
Girl Bravo S1 and S2 ( sorta wat you are looking for) LOL
Old 2006-02-01, 22:49   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
The only series I know where the fansubbers said (in the final episode) that you should have watched something else
Unfortunate that they'd say that. It implies they should have subbed something else. I have to agree that this is something to avoid. To get back on topic, here's an amazing romance anime that I forgot to recommend in my previous post:

Victorian Romance Emma is a story of love set in Victorian England at the end of the 19th Century. At this time and place, the class difference between a maid and a gentleman is as vast as an ocean. Unfortunately for Emma and William, they will have to swim this ocean or else abandon their love.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-02, 08:40   Link #12
miaka

Kanon - it is still unlicensed. Its a romance anime with a little supernatural that you'll never expect til the last few episode. This is a very sweet anime that i'll never forget.
Old 2006-02-02, 19:05   Link #13
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Most of the suggestions that have been already made are all good.

You could also try Touch. It's an old school shounen romance, with sports in it (baseball). But in this case, the baseball is superbly tied to the romance's story. It's a gem of gems of the 80's, nicely and fully subbed by Central Anilme and available here in animesuki.

The storytelling and directing is amazing - not the usually standards, IMO. The soundtrack also matches the series quality for its greatness.

It's a 101 eps (+ films), but I strongly recommend it.
Old 2006-02-03, 11:09   Link #14
evil-samurai

Even though =>Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase ~ is licenced its a must! watch, the Romance in it isn't your everyday crappy anime romance (dont really like alot of romance shows ^^;; ) so thats what makes it so great!

Well the show is a mix of Comedy, Action, Drama, Romance, Vampires (with a twist )

It really! is great show. One of the best parts about the show is the characters, throughout the whole show they are a joy to watch, The story is quite interesting but in the end there are alot of answered questions,so if you dont focus on whole big picture, the story is put together nicely. Plus at times the animation/art is Amazing!!

Plus it has one of the Greatest last episodes of all times, ^^ really! nearly every scene was perfect!

Its not out on Dvd in the US or in english so you might have to wait a bit if you plan to buy/watch it on Dvd, but if so it's worth it.

hmm... another would be

=> Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora A

A very different show compare to Tsukuyomi but its Great so far (2 subbed episodes are out) The characters are likable and while there isn't much of a story so far its pulling along well, one thing to note is that its quite short to only 6 episodes.

Plus the thing that both of the shows have in common are they both have a purple! hair moe~ girl as the main gir!

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-02-04 at 05:00.
Old 2006-02-04, 16:33   Link #15
MamoruUsagi

Here are some wonderful romance anime and manga.

Sailor Moon
Bokura ga Ita
Fushigi Yuugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Mars
High School Debut
The Devil Does Exist
Kare First Love
Wild Act
Happy Hustle High
Marmalade Boy
Peach Girl
Absolute Boyfriend
Fushigi Yugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Ultra Cute
Akuma De Sourou
Paradise Kiss
Sensual Phrase
Missile Happy!
Happy Hustle High
Ultra Maniac
His and Her Circumstances
Punch!
Land of the Blindfolded
Kare Kano
Sand Chronicles
B.O.D.Y.
Black Bird

Sailor Moon Best love story ever. 200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes and the live action series. Usagi and Mamoru, the main couple, are the best couple ever. They have lots of kisses, get married and have a child. Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask are the best couple with the most romantic story. I've been a fan since 1995. Best series ever.

Fushigi Yuugi Very romantic. Miaka and Tamahome have lots of romantic kisses and get married, too. Wonderful story. Tamahome and Taka are great characters.

Kare First Love Great romance manga.

Wild Act Great romance manga, the couple is having sex, dating and in a committed relationship during the series. Lots of kissing.

Kare Kano Different series from Kare First Love, completely different series, similar title. Good series.

Mars Realistic, deep romance manga series.

High School Debut Sweet romance manga series.

Missile Happy! Sweet romance manga about a couple engaged.

The Devil Does ExistAmazing, epic, realistic romance series.

Akuma De Sourou The couple is dating, boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and in a deep relationship.

Ultra Cute Great romance series.

Absolute Boyfriend Great manga.

Fushigi Yugi Amazing romance manga.

Happy Hustle High Great romantic manga.

Ayashi no Ceres Read the manga. The anime takes out everything. The manga is great.

Bokura ga Ita Realistic romance series.

Ceres Celestial Legend Amazing, steamy, sexual romance.

Paradise Kiss Great romance series.

Black Bird Great romance, lots of kissing, sex and more, intense.

Land of the Blindfolded Sweet romance.

Fushigi Yuugi is also called Fushigi Yugi : The Mysterious Play. It's a wonderful romance.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-11-01 at 10:29.
Old 2006-02-04, 19:10   Link #16
CaliforniaRoll
Avocado,Cucumb,Crap,Mayo

Hitsuji no uta
Koi kaze
Umi ga kikoeru (ocean waves)
Condor hero
Whispers of the heart
i my me'strawberry eggs

Just some that werent mentioned, if they were.. oh well.
Old 2006-02-04, 22:27   Link #17
Wakoeme
spring time of life

Send a message via AIM to Wakoeme
watch Iketeru Futari, the episodes are only about 5 mins long, and you can watch the entire series in a little over an hour.

The snow queen, its love but not, still good, i love all stories by Hans Christian Anderson.

Loveless, i've only seen the first episode, too much yaoi for my taste, but i've heard its kinda good.

Chrono Crusade, its like a slow build up of love, its one of my most favriote animes ever.
Old 2006-02-05, 19:19   Link #18
MamoruUsagi

Sailor Moon
Bokura ga Ita
Fushigi Yuugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Mars
High School Debut
The Devil Does Exist
Kare First Love
Wild Act
Happy Hustle High
Akuma De Sourou
Marmalade Boy
Peach Girl
Missile Happy!
Land of the Blindfolded
Sand Chronicles
Absolute Boyfriend
Fushigi Yugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Koukou Debut
Ultra Cute
Paradise Kiss
Black Bird
Sensual Phrase
Ultra Maniac
Punch!
Kare Kano
B.O.D.Y

Sailor Moon, the Japanese version and manga is a lot different from the English version. I happen to love stories where the couple gets married, and Sailor Moon has Usagi and Mamoru getting married and having a child. I also love how they are lovers reincarnated from the past and become boyfriend and girlfriend and husband and wife. It's very romantic. I liked the anime the most, the manga is a lot different from the anime, so you might prefer it, they are completely different. The live action series is different, too. This is a story where the couple is together for a long time with lots of kisses, sex, engagement and a marriage. Series where the couple is dating and together in the beginning and is a couple in a sexual relationship are great, and in Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, there are 200 episodes and Usagi and Mamoru are dating and in a relationship and they are together for over 100 episodes, which I love. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I love Tuxedo Mask. Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask are my favorite couple because I love their story and I just love couples that get married and have lots of kisses. I love how their love has lasted thousands of years. I've been a fan since 1995, too.

Fushigi Yuugi is another great series where the couple gets together early on. The manga is great, it's published as Fushigi Yugi : The Mysterious Play. Their are 18 manga volumes and Miaka and Tamahome get together in volume 3, their are lots of kisses and the couple gets married and has a child, too. Fushigi Yugi has a couple that is dating and boyfriend and girlfriend and in a serious relationship and engaged.

Ceres Celestial Legend has a couple that has hot, passionate sex all the time, has lots of making out in bed and making out in hotel rooms scenes, has a kid, has sex all the time and has a hot and heavy relationship. Love it.

Mars has a couple that is very easy to relate to, very realistic. Lots of kissing, lots of sex, the couple is living together, dating, engaged, having sex, going out and in a sexual relationship.

Kare First Love has a couple that is dating and boyfriend and girlfriend and in a sexual relationship. There is lots of kissing, sex, making out in bed and it's very relatable and real.

The Devil Does Exist is a very real romance series with a couple dating and in a relationship, very easy to relate to and realistic.

Bokura ga Ita has a couple that is dating and in a relationship during the series.

Paradise Kiss has a couple dating and in a relationship.

Marmalade Boy is also cool because the couple is together for a long time and they get married.

Peach Girl is a manga series everyone can relate to.

Wild Act is an amazing romance manga. The couple is dating, having sex, there is lots of kissing. The couple is in a sweet, committed relationship.

Missile Happy! is a sweet romance manga about a couple engaged and living together.

Absolute Boyfriend, lots of kissing, dating, sex.

In the Ayashi no Ceres manga, the couple is together for a long time and they have lots of sex, lots of making out in hotel rooms, lots of hot and heavy sex scenes, lots of passionate making out, hundreds of kissing scenes, they are living together and have a child. The manga is more sensual, the anime changes everything and cuts out a lot of romantic scenes involving making out and having sex in hotel rooms.

In Happy Hustle High, the couple gets together in the beginning and is dating and in a relationship and they have sex.

In Mars, the couple gets together in the beginning and they are engaged and living together and having sex.

In Kare First Love, the couple gets together early on.

The Devil Does Exist is a realistic romance series.

Bokura ga Ita has a couple dating and in a relationship.

Paradise Kiss has a couple dating and in a relationship.

High School Debut has a couple dating and in a relationship.

Mars is a realistic romance series with a couple dating and in a relationship and engaged and living together and having sex.

Anyway, do you like series where the couple gets together early on, series where their is romance, series where the couple gets married, series where the couple has children. What type of romance do you like?

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-11-01 at 12:16.
Closed Thread