AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-24, 10:11   Link #1
Kiron22

Why do people care for Famitsu reviews?

I never understood why Famitsu is so highly regarded among the gaming community for its reviews?.
Famitsu is a great Magazine for new info on games and just news in genral, but the game reviews are well how do i put it? crap and easy.
These guys are worse than EGM, they are not hard on games at all, they actully have given away more 40/40 than EGM's has given away 100%.
Anyway you people might have the answer?.
Another Tip, if you want too flaunt reviews Flaunt gamespots, its a rare occurance for a AAA (90%+) game at gamespot and its very very rare for a AAAA game.
Kiron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 02:33   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I hardly ever care for the actual review score in any game review. It's what they say about the game that counts. Basically, I would be looking at sample screenshots, gameplay descriptions, etc. A single score is pretty useless, especially since different people like different stuff.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 15:09   Link #3
mangatron

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Yup, I don't care about scores or numbers, I look at what is bad, and what is good. If the good outweighs the bad, then it's ok with me, provided I know the game or what it is about (just because, say, GTA has more good than bad doesn't mean I'm all over it )

And, I do like Gamespot. They at least have alot of staff members who like different things.

I <3 Pantsu
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 18:30   Link #4
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Are you sure you're reading the right magazine? Last I remember, only five games have recieved the perfect score ever since the magazine has started publishing in the mid 1980s.

Besides, Famitsu isn't popular just for it's harsh reviews, but for it's latest industry news, interviews with leading publishers and execs, and popular surveys that research public opinion and overall sales. Many other publications and websites often cite Famitsu as their source for inside information.

Gamespot may be a nice site to get reviews, but I doubt that they do 10% of what Famitsu Weekly does.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 19:13   Link #5
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Are you sure you're reading the right magazine? Last I remember, only five games have recieved the perfect score ever since the magazine has started publishing in the mid 1980s.
As I didn't know which games received that perfect score, I did a bit of research and according to answers.com, they are :

* The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
* Soul Calibur
* Vagrant Story
* The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
* Nintendogs

3 nintendo games out of 5, not bad.

Quote:
Gamespot may be a nice site to get reviews, but I doubt that they do 10% of what Famitsu Weekly does.
So the question should be :

Why do people care for Gamespot reviews?
Old 2006-01-25, 22:16   Link #6
Kiron22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine

Besides, Famitsu isn't popular just for it's harsh reviews, but for it's latest industry news, interviews with leading publishers and execs, and popular surveys that research public opinion and overall sales. Many other publications and websites often cite Famitsu as their source for inside information.

Yes but the majority of games in famitsu score in the mid 30's anyway

Only a few games have reaced AAAA at gamespot

OoT
THPS3 (contriversy)
SC
and I think that might be all.

I said Famitsu was a good place too get news, just not reviews, though the best place too get news quicks is AMN and Spong.
Kiron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 18:29   Link #7
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Keep in mind a 35/40 is equivalent to an 87.5, and lots of games on Gamespot get those kinds of reviews.
Not to mention the reviewers on Gamespot are mostly American, and the reviewers on Famitsu are mostly Japanese. Different cultures completely, so games would score differently.
Busaiku Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 20:24   Link #8
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:50.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote