AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-29, 21:47   Link #1
koishii

Send a message via MSN to koishii
mp4 files

I recently downloaded a torrent that turned out to be an mp4 file and not avi. I don't have a program (that I know of... I tried Winamp, Windows Media and Quicktime) that will play this format, so does anyone know of a program I could download that will play mp4 files? Or is there a way to convert mp4 to avi?
Old 2006-01-29, 22:07   Link #2
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by koishii
I recently downloaded a torrent that turned out to be an mp4 file and not avi. I don't have a program (that I know of... I tried Winamp, Windows Media and Quicktime) that will play this format, so does anyone know of a program I could download that will play mp4 files? Or is there a way to convert mp4 to avi?
It is likely an h.264 file in an .mp4 container. You need the haali splitter. Search the playback help forum or look on the front page.
Old 2006-01-29, 22:51   Link #3
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

get the combined community codec pack. That is what i have, and i was able to play mp4 files with it. I can say that mp4 files are not that good in quality at all, the thing you can do is get a format converter, and try to convert your mp4 file to dvd format, with a higher quality i would say.
Old 2006-01-29, 23:23   Link #4
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Transcoding from h264 to MPEG2 will not improve the quality. I'm not quite sure where you got that idea from.
Old 2006-01-29, 23:24   Link #5
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Winamp is perfectly capable of playing .mkv and .ogm, actually. By default, it's set to reject those filetypes. Here's how to enable support for it:

(Note that these instructions are for the Winamp 5 series; it may also work on Winamp versions 2 and 3, but I'm creating this guidelines based off of Winamp 5)
1. Access the Winamp Preferences (shortcut Ctrl+P)
2. Click on Plugins > Input. You should see a list of "Input plug-ins"; find "Nullsoft Directshow Decoder v#.## [in_dshow.dll]" and select it.
3. Click Configure. A box of file associations should appear. By default you should see these associations: MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;ASF;WMV
Simply add OGM and MKV to that list. Your new files association list should look like this:
MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;ASF;WMV;OGM;MKV

Hit OK, and exit the preferences. Winamp will no longer reject OGM and MKV files.

I haven't tried using Winamp to play h.264 encodes. Theoretically, if you have h.264 support on another player through something universal (such as CCCP) then you should be able to have playback of h.264 encodes in Winamp too.

BTW, nice avatar, Komataguri.

To make mp4 files play, do as my good friend there said.

he helped me to get mp4 files playing in Winamp
Old 2006-01-29, 23:29   Link #6
koishii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
To make mp4 files play, do as my good friend there said.

he helped me to get mp4 files playing in Winamp
Well, I did just as he said and added MP4 to the list... Still won't play. :\
Old 2006-01-29, 23:37   Link #7
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

You have three options;

1.) CCCP
2.) ASuki's Playback Guide
3.) Latest build of VLC
Old 2006-01-29, 23:43   Link #8
koishii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
You have three options;

1.) CCCP
2.) ASuki's Playback Guide
3.) Latest build of VLC
CCCP is freaking sweet! Thank you~
Old 2006-01-30, 08:44   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Ah ha I see Ledgem re-wrote my original post about playing MP4/MKV/OGM in Winamp before the wipe. The above will work however you still need the proper filters: an MP4 splitter and an H.264 decoder. You are actually playing the file through Winamp's quite goofy DirectShow plugin, thus you need DirectShow filters (it does not use any of the already present audio filters in Winamp). So if you installed the CCCP for example and still wanted to use Winamp it would work because the CCCP installs all the necessary filters. The only problem with Winamp involved softsubs and VSFilter, you had to force autoloading of VSFilter in Haali's Media Splitter Settings.
Old 2006-01-30, 16:11   Link #10
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

I find that this works, and it was rather by accident.

Uninstall your current version of VLC player.
If you don't have it- you should of

NOW install the newest version here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Select your Operating System and choose a mirror on the next page.

Now your file should play just great. I've done this to over 3 computers and it works everytime

No other codecs files were necessary to install for playback either.
(2 of these computers were also brand new, so I know I had not installed codecs on them)
Old 2006-01-30, 17:13   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Well no surprise, since VLC does not use any external codecs.

I swear, one of these days I'm going to put "VLC DOES NOT USE ANY EXTERNAL CODECS" in gigantic letters in my signature...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-01-30, 19:32   Link #12
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
Transcoding from h264 to MPEG2 will not improve the quality. I'm not quite sure where you got that idea from.
it sure did for me, i have winavi video converter, i converted the mp4 file into dvd quality, with a quality of higher, and i saw that the picture was more clearer, and i enhoyed watching it more. the subtitles were also more easier to read.
Old 2006-01-30, 21:25   Link #13
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
it sure did for me, i have winavi video converter, i converted the mp4 file into dvd quality, with a quality of higher, and i saw that the picture was more clearer, and i enhoyed watching it more. the subtitles were also more easier to read.
Go get your eyes fixed. Encoding to MPEG2 (DVD) does not magically recreate lost information - on the contrary, since MPEG2 is lossy, you will just destroy more information in the process. If you do not believe this, you are free to go study the Second Law of Thermodynamics and learn some about entropy, and then come back and tell me that you can reencode lossy-to-lossy and get better quality.

(Do however note that I'm talking about ACTUAL quality, not PERCEPTED quality - those are different things. It's quite possible to achieve higher percepted quality, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING and use filtering, but I highly doubt that Mr.Hawq did that.)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read