AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-01, 16:53   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Unhappy Rozen Maiden Replacement

I have a feeling this won't work, since no series filled the void created by FMA ending. But I'll try anyway.

But I want a Rozen Maiden replacement. What I'm specifically looking for is a series with characters who are just as interesting and unique as Rozen Maiden. Rozen Maiden's dolls are, at first glance, cliches, but I loved the way the series showed multiple sides to them.

You see, I felt that while Rozen Maiden's dolls had "main traits", we didn't get too much of an overdose of them, and we got to see them respond to many different situations. As a result, their traits seemed a PART of the character, instead of just being tacked on.

I'm unable to exactly describe what I mean, but I'll try to do the best I can by comparing Rozen Maiden to another series I like, Shakugan no Shana (which will unfortunately be portrayed in a bad light here). In SnS, Shana's love for Melon Pan and her "Urusai, urusai, urusai" thing don't really convince me...they just seem to be tacked on to make us, the audience, go "That's Shana!" In Rozen Maiden, the dolls always feel like the dolls in every situation, doesn't matter if they are happy or sad.

ARGH, I bet someone will reply saying how unclear I am! But yeah, I'd like a series with characters as interesting and not one dimensional as the dolls in Rozen Maiden. However, it can't be romance. I've seen quite alot of series (well, year 2000 and beyond) so forgive me if some of your suggestions are not taken up because I've seen them already. Maybe there are some older series that have what I am looking for, whatever.

Help me please....
Old 2006-02-01, 17:22   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

I don't really share your admiration for Rozen Maiden's characters. They were rather unoriginal all the way through, imo. Not to mention annoying.

For some interesting characters, I would check out...
Fruits Basket (though it would be even better to read the manga)
Haibane Renmei
Honey & Clover

Those anime are all about the characters. I like it when the story takes a backseat to the characters and their interactions.
Closed Thread