AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-03-26, 05:22   Link #21
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, in IMDB Spirited Away has 8.5/10 (34,388 votes) and Mononoke 8.3/10 (25,032 votes)
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 05:32   Link #22
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
Princess Mononoke pwnz Spirited Away. Its still a good movie, although Final Fantasy Advent Children owns all.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Well, in IMDB Spirited Away has 8.5/10 (34,388 votes) and Mononoke 8.3/10 (25,032 votes)
Personally I think Spirited Away is the better film, but neither hold a candle to Laputa: Castle in the Sky. That's my favourite Ghibli film.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 19:19   Link #23
porchoky

I have to go with castle in the sky too, since it was the first one I saw when I was a kid (didnt understand half of it though). But if I had to choose for a real reason, I way Nausicca (sp?) of the valley of the wind... I liked the ending better than the other ones.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 14:28   Link #24
Menshi

I think Spirited Away is one of the top movies but it doesn't really have the rewatchability factor.*whatever you'd like to call it* Princess Mononoke is my favorite because I can always watch it and be interested with so many good parts. With Spirited Away though t just isn't fun to rewatch because the type of movie it is no action, or great moments but an overall fun interesting story.
Menshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:12   Link #25
raphaŽl
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaŽl Send a message via Skype™ to raphaŽl
I really love them both, but i have to admit that being able to watch one of the world premiere outside Japan of Spirited Away, with Miyazaki himself coming to answer some of our questions was one of the greatest time of my life as a spectator.
But about imdb, i think the only reason why Spirited Away has it over Mononoke would be chronological ( Mononoke, 1997, Spirited away, 2001, more famous, more promotion, etc...). Nothing more.
And some mention Nausicaä, but with all the respect due to Miyazaki ( and lord knows i respect him and his work), who confessed he was himself completely unsatisfied with this half-finished movie released to soon, i think it really doesn't stand the comparison with the original manga, which is one of the greatest book i've ever read. And no, this is not the opinion of a "manga-is-better-than-anime" snob. lol. This is the naked truth. Nausicaä in anime is uncomplete. Nausicaä in manga is way above completion.
Don't hit me please.
raphaŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 22:15   Link #26
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

If there's a Ghibli related film that I would call my favorite, it would be without a doubt Umi ga Kikoeru (aka. Ocean Waves, I Can Hear the Sea), since I'm a very big sucker for those kind of stories. But that's neither here nor there, since it isn't available in the west in DVD and Miyazaki didn't direct it.

Out of all of Miyazaki's works though, I found Mononoke Hime to be the most enjoyable and thought provoking. Spirited Away just pales in comparison IMO, since Mononoke handling of who is right and who is wrong was just superb. Apart from the imaginitive world that Spirited Away was situated in, it was rather dry in this person's POV as I never really into Alice in Wonderland kind of stories. Spirited Away isn't even my #2 Miyazaki film, as Kiki's Delivery Service stole that spot being Miyazaki's version of the Mahou Shoujo cliche.

On another note, I found Miyazaki's oldest films in Ghibli (Nausicaa and Laputa) to be quite sleep-inducing. Though I gotta give credit where it's due; for films made in the mid 80's, the animation quality is darn pretty.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 09:37   Link #27
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronissz
I like Spirited Away best, but I still need to rewatch Nausicaa, I missed it playing on TCM last month. Havnt seen that one since I was a kid, but I still vaguely remember it. I have a feeling if I rewatched it, it would probably steal the #1 spot from Spirited Away.
Actually, I just watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind on Cartoon Network...it was very moving, and just flat-out beautiful, but no, it does not top Sen in my book. Although I have a feeling that if I watch Nausicaa a couple more times, it'll make me cry. It almost did the first time.
Remittance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 07:50   Link #28
laphingman
Story writer for hire

i agree , i own the "princess monenoke" film and the F.F film, i say i would watch "Princess Monenoke" any day
laphingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 11:44   Link #29
Xuki
...zZz...zZz...

Spirited Away just has a really unique storyline. The characters are somewhat a teeny bit different from the other Studio Ghibli movies. So funny and serious at the same time.

Still, FFAC is the best movie in my opinion. Got to love the computer generated graphics
Xuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 07:35   Link #30
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
Sigh...I really should watch Advent Children. If it weren't for my Final Fantasy VII grudge, I'd have bought it by now.
Remittance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 18:58   Link #31
SpiritedSen
Anime Geek

Spirited Away is truly the greatest movie ever made!! It's got absolutely everything; it's a drama, a thriller, a horror, a comedy, a love story (albeit not in the traditional sense). It has cute sidekicks, an awesome villain, a great message about friendship and family, and the overall lesson that knowing who you are is the most important thing. It is beautifully animated, has one of the best songs ever at the end, and although I am not a fan of dubbing, I think it has the best dubbed audio of any Ghibli movie.
I LOVE THIS FILM!!!!!

Sig made by mpw3d
SpiritedSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 19:16   Link #32
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I'm almost tempted to add a poll to this thread: What is the best movie ever?
1. Sprited Away
2. Nausicaa
3. Mononoke-hime
I'm a huge Ghibli fan; though not in any way a fanboy. I thought that the most recent Howl's Moving Castle was quite horrible, and I looked forward to it for so long. It was a huge disappointment; scattered and unfocused. And actually, my list would go something more like a tier system:

1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Princess Mononoke + Spirited Away + Grave of the Fireflies
3. Totoro + Kiki's Delivery + Nausicaa + Porco Rosso + Laputa
4. I Can Hear the Sea + Pom Poko
5. Howl's Moving Castle

Whisper of the Heart was massively moving, for me. Princess Mononoke I've watched 7 times or so.. Spirited Away, thrice. I'm planning to collect all of their artbooks, if they're released ; ) We should have a thread that discusses the symbolic significance of the Ghibli movies... for example,

Did you know that "no-face" in Spirited Away was symbolic of the weak and will-less people in society who don't have an opinion and merely drift around? All they do is adopt the opinion of others, which is why no-face eats creatures and then acquire their respective voices. Fascinating.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 12:08   Link #33
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Porco Rosso have my vote for the best Miyazaki film ever made. The quiet, romantic rustic feel of it just made me watch over and over again.

Now i just wanna get the french version cause apparently Jean Reno did the voice for Porco.
Old 2006-05-12, 17:04   Link #34
raphaŽl
trainee archangel

Thumbs down Not worth it

Well, if you ask me, jazz, just don't bother about it, i think that french dub really is not worth it. I know some will disagree, but Jean Reno sounds completely lifeless, and Fio's voice isn't better. Not mentioning the dialogues themselves...
Anyway, please understand me, I'm a sub freak in the first place.
Old 2006-05-20, 14:38   Link #35
ujiuji

My favourite Ghibli film would have to be Omoide Poroporo. Mostly for the extremely personal reason that it feels like Takahata took my childhood and animated it. It's astonishing that a sixties childhood in Japan seems so close to a late -sixties, early-seventies childhood in England. (Yes, I am that old). So many incidents are so close to what happened to me I think I should stop now before this gets too revealing. I'll just say it was a coconut rather than a pineapple.
Spirited Away was my first Ghibli film & probably comes in second.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 21:13   Link #36
raphaŽl
trainee archangel

Thumbs up Omoide Poroporo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiuji
I'll just say it was a coconut rather than a pineapple.

I loved Omoide Poroporo too. If you ask me, I think I somehow prefer Takahata's movies, actually. Of course, Miyazaki's the greatest, but I still care some much about every film his colleague has made so far. The grave of the fireflies, but my neighbors the Yamadas too, not mentioning Pompoko or Jarinko Chie.
Old 2006-05-20, 23:42   Link #37
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
I didn't like Spirited Away at all. I know I'm in a very small minority here.

Kiki's Delivery was excellent though, and Princess Monoke was also a very well done movie. Both I would take anyday of my life over Spirited.

Oh ya and FFVII: Advent Children was absolutely breathtaking. As a huge, huge FFVII fan, it was well worth the 3 year wait I went through. Now if only they'd re-do the game in PS3 form...
Old 2006-05-21, 08:48   Link #38
DaZ

re-do, mah i prefer a new continuation story from the movie(ff7).

Spirited away was nice, but I prefer Kiki more. I don't know why, but kiki has that sort of accomplishment after you watch it, or feeling relax. Also IMO spirited away story is rush.

On the note : kiki > every other movie (IMHO) haha. I re-watched kiki alot after 2 years gotten it, compare to other anime movies.
DaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 09:49   Link #39
KimmyChan

I love this movie, it's just so magical and very enjoyable from the word go
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 07:35   Link #40
Kiolito

I remember when I first saw Spirited Away, by the way, that was my first anime movie, I really could not believe that people can have so wide Imagination. I saw so many interesting things, which you'll not see in any other movie, unless in other Hayao Miyazaki movie. I would give for that movie 9,5.

Tags
ghibli