AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-06-06, 01:22   Link #41
klare

the thread title is interesting

imo, Spirited Away is a very good movie but it is not the best, not even the best among Ghiblies

at least 3 Ghiblies rank higher than it in my heart:
- Nausicaa (this is the best for me)
- Laputa
- Princess Mononoke

maybe because Spirited Away got an Oscar and that makes it more well-known?
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 03:38   Link #42
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
maybe because Spirited Away got an Oscar and that makes it more well-known?
It's basically the Ghibli film that made the studio as big as it is now all over the world.
Old 2010-06-06, 15:22   Link #43
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
If there's a Ghibli related film that I would call my favorite, it would be without a doubt Umi ga Kikoeru (aka. Ocean Waves, I Can Hear the Sea), since I'm a very big sucker for those kind of stories.
Actually, if I really had to choose a favourite Ghibli movie, it would probably have to be Grave of the Fireflies, since I'm a very big sucker for those kind of stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Out of all of Miyazaki's works though, I found Mononoke Hime to be the most enjoyable and thought provoking. Spirited Away just pales in comparison IMO, since Mononoke handling of who is right and who is wrong was just superb.
Without doubt, Princess Mononoke is one of Miyazaki's most dramatic work by far, but I'm not as enamored with it as many fans are. The main reason being that, to me, the movie is no more than the spiritual successor of the Nausicaa movie. If you've read the Nausicaa manga before watching Princess Mononoke, you would be struck by the two stories' many thematic similiarities. That's why Princess Mononoke was never as much a novelty to me as it was for many fans around the world — San was the movie version of the fully realised Nausicaa, while Lady Eboshi was the film equivalent of the fully realised Kushana.

That said, the movie does represent the culmination of Miyazaki's reflections on the extent of human impact on the environment, the dilemmas of balancing ethics with pragmatic social needs, and the responsible development of technology.

By the same token, Spirited Away represents the culmination of Miyazaki's reflections on children, defining one's identity through hard work, and the maintenance of social harmony. As it so happens, these issues have greater emotional resonance for me, so it's not surprising that I much prefer Spirited Away to Princess Mononoke — the latter may enjoy wider appeal with global audiences, but the former is a much more intimate "Japanese" film. I strongly suspect that this is one of the reasons why Spirited Away outperformed Princess Mononoke in the Japanese box office.

In the end, though, I feel Miyazaki should have retired after Spirited Away as he originally planned. Through Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, he has told all the stories he has to tell — anything that follows would merely be a rehash of well-trodden themes.

This was painfully obvious in Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. Charming though those movies were, somehow, they didn't have quite the same impact as many of Miyazaki's earlier films. He has run out of original things to say, so perhaps the time has truly come for Prospero to set himself free.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 04:39   Link #44
Uchiha Warrior17

im working on a script for a college game adaptation of spirited away. what would be the best parts of the movie which you think i should highlight in my game
Uchiha Warrior17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 05:24   Link #45
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Well, Spirited Away is one of my most favorite animated movies of all time.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 12:51   Link #46
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay

the most famous ghibli's movie, spirited away. its good but i like totoro more

Tags
ghibli