AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still watch domestic television
I still watch domestic television programs on a regular basis 34 24.46%
I don't bother with domestic television programs regularly anymore. 105 75.54%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-07, 07:37   Link #1
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Do you still watch TV?

So the superbowl topic got me curious and my search turned up nothing, so how many of us still watch domestic TV, excluding any localized anime? Of course this poll isn't open to those who can watch most of their anime domestically anyway (so please, no Japanese voters)

By watching TV, I mean making time in your day to watch. Randomly catching a Mythbusters episode here or there doesn't count.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 08:04   Link #2
Eclipze

Still watch tv? nope. I'd much rather watch He is my Master than some drama show or variety programme.

Although, I still make time to catch Whose(who's?) line is it anyways?The only thing that entertains me at the same level as animes do, every sunday night.
Old 2006-02-07, 08:21   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I really haven't watched tv in a long long time.. i wonder why that is. *Whistles*
Old 2006-02-07, 09:11   Link #4
DaFool
Resident devil

The last time I touched an Idiot Box was in a hotel room...and that was only to tune into Animax

My all-in-one entertainment center is my PC...and the stereo serves no purpose other than being an amplifier and speaker set for my PC. I don't have a couch in front of my PC...I have a bed ^_^.

I don't need TV for anything anymore. If I want news, I just go to the newsmagazine websites. I don't care for variety shows or talk shows. I used to watch a lot of dramas, action-adventure, and sitcoms when I had cable around 4 years ago...then I realized I spend more time either going to movie theaters, renting videos (for non-anime stuff), as well as watching my collection of anime DVDs and fansubs.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 09:13   Link #5
CaiSter21

the only tv channels that i watch now are either the history channel or the discovery channel. the rest are all just crap.
Old 2006-02-07, 09:13   Link #6
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Meh... News... Perhaps Star Trek: The Next Generation on G4.
Thats really all I watch.
I am either watching anime, reading,
Or Writing. I cant get inspiration from Domestic TV, except for those old shows hense the Star Trek.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 09:23   Link #7
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Rarely. I turn it on when I don't have any anime to watch, when I want to kill time for some reason or when I specifically want to watch something, but that's rare.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 09:40   Link #8
Goldsplinter

It's Either Anime or Nothing!... and a few awesome movies, documentaries here and there...
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 09:46   Link #9
hooliganj
Team Player

I watched the Superbowl. I also watched the State of the Union address, and I'll probably catch most of the March Madness finals next month, and maybe even the Oscars. As for regular TV watching, I have gotten more particular about what I'll see, but if I can make time to sit down to an ep of Boston Legal or The Shield, I will. I'm also doing the deathwatch countdown on West Wing, and there's always the simultaneous doses of news and cynicism from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

I don't watch as much TV as I used to, but I could never give it up completely.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:03   Link #10
Lambda

Doctor Who, Life in the Undergrowth, some of the better documentaries which pop up on BBC2 and Channel 4, Channel 4 News, yes, I still watch television. Though of course that's only possible because I live in Britain, the home of almost all quality non-animated television. If I was in America, I wouldn't want a TV in the house.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 10:29   Link #11
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Wow ! I cannot remember the last time I watched normal TV for more than 10 mins it must be eyars but I am happy I am not part of the normal teen demographic I am always finding new anime or some type new way of learning things on the internet and I have gained much from my constant experience on the net.

Hell I even got a job makeing advertisments for a small company becuase of my experience on Photoshop and Illustrator which is why I am not on the forums much anymore.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:32   Link #12
Johan_the_Monster

I still watch TV, but mostly just on Tuesdays. The rest of the week it's mostly just new anime or old ones on my computer.
Johan_the_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 11:03   Link #13
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Ah regular TV, I used to watch it all the time before going to bed back when games wasn't enough for me and I didn't know about Anime yet. However now it's not as common as it was back when I was a child. Once in a while at home when I'm not playing video games or watching Anime, I sometimes watch g4tv's X-play/fastlane/Icons, Cartoon Network's Kids next door(SHUT UP I like that show and I know if I was younger I would be obsessed with it.)and American Idol. I also of course watch any interesting movies that catch my eye on one of the various movie channels I have.

I watch the Most television when I go over a friends house and I end up watching shows that I could never get around to watching by myself. Shows like Degrassi,her lifetime movies, That's so Raven,Made,Next,blind date and 7th Heaven with her. Also depending on the shows I'm a social viewer, I like to talk about the shows as they go along.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 11:05   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Tv I havnt watched tv in ages ,bit of news,documentaries and sports here and there.SANK U ANIME FOR REMOVING MY OBCESSION WITH TV.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 12:08   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I try to never miss The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. I'll also frequently watch reruns of Law and Order. I'd say I also watch FMA, GitS:SAC, and Inuyasha on CN, but since they aren't exactly domestic programs they don't really count.
Old 2006-02-07, 12:20   Link #16
chaosfox123
Godfather Of Manga

I want T.V every now and then. Usually just the programmes I want to watch ( Lost, The IT Crowd, Top Gear ETC) Other than that I watch a lot of Anime.
chaosfox123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 12:40   Link #17
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Hell , most is death, destruction, poverty, hunger, lies
all day, everyday, no escaping it wether you watch tv or not
If I want to watch that I'd rather know it's make-believe

No I don't stick my head in the sand for all the ills in the world,
but I'm getting fed up with the abundance of it
Old 2006-02-07, 12:49   Link #18
BountyHunterB

My parents watch russian channels on satelite ALL the time, so not watchin
tv at all is imposible. But since i get some crazy movie channels and if the movie has to do with lots of people being shot or even those asian cinema movies then i cant say no. But for news and such bs i would have to say no.
BountyHunterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 13:26   Link #19
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I can't say i'm surprised with the current results. I also no longer watch normal TV. 99% of the stuff they advertise as being 'entertainment' on TV now is garbage, simple as that. The only thing I'd make room for is Doctor Who season 2 when it starts this year, and Stargate/ SG Atlantis. And after season 7 of SG1 I pretty much lost interest and stopped watching anyway, so even that's out of the window now.

Anime has so much more depth and complexity than most western shows, it has amazing characters (not to mention the designs: I don't think there's a single colour in the entire spectrum that I have yet to see a character's hair in ), the stories tend to be out of this world awesome... well, you all know what I mean, you all watch the stuff as well

In summary: TV sucks, long live Anime! Oh, and most of Hollywood sucks too, apart from the occasion low-budget movie or Steven Spielberg blockbuster.
Old 2006-02-07, 13:27   Link #20
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

I used to watch a fair amount of TV, but not so much anymore. The only show I watch regularly is Family Guy on Sundays. Occasionally I'll watch The Simpsons, The Daily Show, or Real Time on HBO.