AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still watch domestic television
I still watch domestic television programs on a regular basis 34 24.46%
I don't bother with domestic television programs regularly anymore. 105 75.54%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-08, 10:06   Link #41
Rurik
Golden

I’m watching very little TV, and when I turn on the TV, I only go for 2 choices, the Anime Chanel..... And Playboy TV …then my entertainment is Anime from the PC, and Music.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 16:09   Link #42
Willuknight
Animeblogger

Send a message via AIM to Willuknight
I still watch TV every day - but mainly only the news and current affairs shows.

Since getting involved in anime, i have broken my addiction to tv (and got addicted to anime) and now i no longer enjoy much of what is aired. IMO, 90% of tv programs these days are crap - same to the movies that TV airs.

There are a few programs i still watch, Veronica Mars, Lost, Earl, Stargate - but for those i usually just download them. Who wants to have to wait for the tv network to get off their asses and screenthem, put up with ads or watch it at the time that the network specifies ?

I'd much rather watch shows on my computer where i can choose what screens and where i am in total control of the playback.
Willuknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 17:46   Link #43
Lumir

Word of advice:

That extra 30$ a month from not having cable is nice. If and when i need/want to watch tv (rare) i just use an antenna. I get all the local/world news, as well as sports/olympics/superbowl/other. Its rare for me to watch tv.
Lumir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 18:19   Link #44
Tsukishirou

I actually got sick of anime (and full disc ), but the part about getting sick of it is also true, I don´t know if it counts but I don´t live in the US and I find myself watching more TV than before and more "airhead" shows than before, used to watch that anime channel on Sky but got tired of it, so now I watch a lot of normal TV, too much fanservice/geekness in animes nowdays; so I´ll let it cool off before fanservice/geek stuff attracts me once again
And normal TV from Japan sucks the same as anywhere.
P.S. Watching in normal kids channels is so cute and LAME those cartoons that try to imitate the Japanese cartoon style
Tsukishirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 18:27   Link #45
Lumir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukishirou
And normal TV from Japan sucks the same as anywhere.
Watching in normal kids channels is so cute and LAME those cartoons that try to imitate the Japanese cartoon style
Lol! Thats so true, i lived in Japan for 7yrs and the normal TV was boring as hell, somtimes funny but rarely. And yes those american cartoons are starting to add in some japanese style drawings. I saw the new GI joe show while my nephew was watching and i was like WTF! So funny
Lumir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 04:55   Link #46
Dante_Grim
Juice Crew Affiliate

I watch regular TV more than I watch Anime actually.
Dante_Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 08:16   Link #47
Ending

Even though I do have a regular 21" TV, I hardly use it due of several facts:

-- The video-quality is really poor. HDTV should fix that, but I'm not going to buy a new TV just for that.
-- The programs suck, plain and simple. The Bold and the Beautiful? Seinfield? Political debate? (Often also including "Why Your Government Is the Best") Eygh...
-- Almost like a new Murphy's law: when you have time to watch TV, there is nothing to watch. When there is something of interesting coming, you have completely forgotten it.
-- Ads and no fast-forward. Come to think of it, ads are probably the best part of TV, since they are usually done a lot better than an average program.

Once I can afford a good 32", flat HDTV screen for both my comp and PS3, goodbye TV. Unless it is an Internet TV, that is.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 14:01   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Our house is mostly out of the tv habit (except wife-unit who occasionally leaves it on for "background noise" --- which makes me nuts ).
About all we actively watch outside of dvd-movies are CSI, NCIS... usually we're watching PBS news, analysis, or documentaries. My wife tends to throw on something from her MASH or Firefly collection ... if we have a popcorn night, its usually fantasy or sci-fi.

Last weekend, we had a small Azumanga Daioh festival....

Oh... we did watch the Grammy's out of morbid curiousity... and spent the whole time wondering what everyone found so exciting about the rehashed generic noises.
Old 2006-02-09, 14:19   Link #49
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

I own a nice TV but havent used it in ages. All I need is anime and sometimes, I buy a "real" movie DVD, I'm interested in (i.e. Resident Evil, LoTR, Doom, etc.). Well, I dont know what they stream in other countries, but the TV program here is simply primitive, in my opinion. Daily Soaps, Big Brother Stuff, Find a new Super Star Stuff, Talk Shows... and so on. Anyway, that explains why the population here is visibly suffering in their heads ^^;
Anime got everything I need. All those genres, nice drawings/animation, often more genre depth. It's probably because japanese people are better in putting emotions into film, not to metion all those well done synchros. They make the impossible possible and create stories, most of us couldnt probably even imagine. Simply better... at least for my taste.

Aesir
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 15:51   Link #50
Rachy
Disabled By Request

Tv is a good change sumtimes ... ill watch it now and then .
Rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 17:45   Link #51
Nisemono

I do, Mostly late at night when I'm to tired to focus on an anime, like fuse or nick at nite or something.
Nisemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 11:28   Link #52
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Basically News, some show or other that deserves it, some anime too to support the king.
ragnarokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 11:49   Link #53
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir
Lol! Thats so true, i lived in Japan for 7yrs and the normal TV was boring as hell, somtimes funny but rarely. And yes those american cartoons are starting to add in some japanese style drawings. I saw the new GI joe show while my nephew was watching and i was like WTF! So funny
Gonzo animated GI Joe Sigma 6.
And I'd rather the western cartoons imitated Japanese storytelling style, rather than just visual style....like have ambiguious good / evil, cinematic pacing, and emotion-based rather than event-based soundtrack...I'd take those over big eyes anyday.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 12:04   Link #54
mit7059

although i probably watch more anime than tv, i still watch tv, however i never watch it when it airs, i use tivo, so i normally have something to watch, I avidly watch the simpsons reruns, mind of mencia, the west wing, mythbusters, and I am waiting for the new season of Over There to come out. Authough I prefer anime, i still enjoy tv, I watched a lot more before comcast killed TechTv, G4 is awful, I wish i had anime network,

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 16:18   Link #55
HoboGod
Necromancer

Hell yes I still watch TV. Granted, I'm not watching alot of the garbage on network TV (other than Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,) but cable TV has a shitload of great things. I frequently watch National Geographic Channel, History Channel, Comedy Central, AMC's Horror Friday, and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

Ironically enough, what I hardly watch anymore is Anime.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 21:18   Link #56
LilEva

Send a message via AIM to LilEva Send a message via MSN to LilEva Send a message via Yahoo to LilEva
I watch Prison Break, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Commander in Chief, and Desperate Housewives.
LilEva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 04:22   Link #57
Animoid
So what?

Send a message via ICQ to Animoid
Only news. Sometimes watching A1 channel(Russian Alternative Music Channel)
Animoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 04:53   Link #58
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Sci-fi Friday. And if I'm over at my friend's place for dinner, then whatever's on TV at the time (usually it's Food Network or American Idol). I stopped watching TV regularly because it takes too much time away from other stuff. Not to mention that I keep forgetting to watch any series I'm following and I don't have a PVR or similar.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 06:06   Link #59
D3athScythe
« Mecha | Shana »

Send a message via MSN to D3athScythe
Hmm if I watch tv, its mostly comedy~ or else I rather be up in my room watching anime >< Though I will of course watch the 'Soccer (football) World Cup' when it starts! lolz
D3athScythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 12:08   Link #60
Salsashark
Pessimist

Send a message via AIM to Salsashark Send a message via MSN to Salsashark Send a message via Yahoo to Salsashark
I only watch television when im out at the parents to eat or do laundry, and its always CSI, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Jeopardy or Antiques Roadshow....yeah, rofl. I like to watch the History and Discovery channel if none of the previously mentioned shows are on, but even then I watch maybe a few hours of TV a week max.
Salsashark is offline   Reply With Quote