AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > True Tears

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-21, 19:22   Link #421
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I'm liking the story so far, although Shin is kinda an idiot >.>

How vapid can you be not to realize immediately what "she saw right through me" is referring to. Or that carrying Noe into the gym for everyone to see would be a bad idea...

At this point I'm leaning towards Aiko -- she's nice, is a hard worker, and seems the type you could have a normal relationship with. No silly tricks screwing with you all the time and childish attitude like Noe. No pity-factor like with Hiromi and if you did something wrong she would just tell you it was nothing and just hold it against you still, etc. Aiko would tell you when something was bothering her that you did, and she's friendly and outgoing.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 19:22   Link #422
faust123
I Beat Cherry Blossom
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Read most of the thread and don't know whether or not this was pointed out, but why are you all jumping on Hiromi's case. If you look at the situation she is in, I think she is making the same decisions anyone would make, and I think all of her decisions can easily be rationalized (locking away her feelings - dead parents, mom of person you really like hates you // possibly lying to friend about who she likes to get said friend off her back, etc...). I really don't think she is the bad guy in all of this and I find I have no trouble sympathizing with her.

Also many of your comments on the final scene of episode 3 are missing a key point. I know Shin didn't eavesdrop intentionally, at first, however he did decide to stay and listen in. Then you guys all jump on Hiromi's case for being a liar. WTF, how about criticizing Shin for listening in on a conversation that he obviously knew he shouldn't be listening to.

I absolutely love this show and as many of you have already said, it is agonizing waiting each week for the next episode.

PS - As much as it pains me to say it, I think Ai is pretty much off limits for Shin, considering how much his best friend is in to her. :*(
faust123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 19:30   Link #423
Kaiji
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Age: 31
@ JediNight, I agree, Ai-chan is also my fav so far, but I don't agree about the no tricks part...I mean she's dating Shin's best friend to get close to Shin!!! Lol that's pretty tricky and not really kosher in my book.

Anyway, here's a prediction...I think that Ai is going to break up with her bf soon...after the last comment he made (about how he'd like to die eating her cooking) and her reaction to that comment I think she's going to find a reason to end it soon...hmm or is this just wishful thinking?

I think she'll have dumped him within 3 episodes.
Kaiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 19:35   Link #424
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
I agree (well, not the half-sister part.) Hiromi has obviously liked Shin since before her father died, but doesn't want to cause any problems for her foster family, which, you know, declaring your love for your foster brother might cause. Add in that Shin's mother treats her like crap and obviously doesn't accept her, and you should be able to understand her resolve not to rock the boat there. Her declaration of love for #4 was obviously just a cover--her friend is perceptive enough to pick up on her real feelings, and she's desperate to keep that from getting out. Having Shin overhear that is pretty standard teen angst fair, but True Tears pulled it off well at least. I'm honestly baffled how anyone can see her as some kind of "compulsive liar" or think that she was somehow telling the truth. This was nothing but a white lie for misdirection, and perhaps a bit of pain/stress relief (not having to continuously deny her real feelings to her best friend, at least for a little while.)

I'm of the opinion that her befriending attempt (including the grave building) of Noe was out of jealousy, but I doubt she had anything sinister in mind. She probably hadn't even thought out what the point of it was--she just panicked.

I think Aiko was projecting when she "explained" Hiromi's actions to Shin, and that her explanation is exactly what she in turn is doing. She probably sees what a bad position she's in already... I look forward to how that will blow up.

I have to chime in in support of the Bokura ga Ita comparisons, but more in feel than specific parallels. One thing I'm loving about True Tears is just how real all the relationships feel. There seems to be substance to all of them, none seem to be just there to fill in the blanks, and I hope that pays off nicely. I also like the flow of the storytelling, there's no huge ups or downs, just steady progress, yet they manage excellent emotional cliff hangers each episode.
I agree that she lies as defense mechanism, but regardless if the lie is a malicious one or a white one it is still lying and has already lied 3 times, twice to shin and once to her best friend[not counting the time she lied to Noe).

I know that in her situation that is all she can do to keep thing stable in the household that she lives right now. She is hated already by the mother, imagine what would happen if Shin and she got together. So yes, her lying is that only thing she can do and keeping her feelings for shin inside.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 20:01   Link #425
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
"Manipulative," "twisted," "cynical," "liar." (Shakes head.) I just don't see Hiromi that way at all. At all.

"Complicated," "sad," "victimized," "noble." Those are more the adjectives that make sense to me.
In general I agree with you, except for the context I meant "manipulative" in, which is the one the story itself presented (that she pretended to want to be friends with Noe, but that was a lie/wasn't her true objective). And she herself admitted to the lie. Please don't blindly lump my perspective with all the other ones you don't like and destroy the context of the statement, as I was explicitly disagreeing with some of the other adjectives you're disagreeing with. (In other words, I was agreeing with you more than disagreeing, but you just lumped me into the "disagree" category ) By virtue of being "complicated", you can't see any of her actions as either "black" or "white".
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 20:18   Link #426
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I've been waiting for a really strong HS romance series to reach out and grab me since BGI aired. We're a long, long way from that but after three eps, I have high hopes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 20:21   Link #427
ThoHell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
This entire series is complicated! It's built on non-stop complications, but I'm enjoying it. As of right now the person that I find the most amusing is Noe, she is completely like unlike Ai and Hiromi. Ineed she has her own problems like the rest of them,but she is straight and upfront with Shin. She hasn't lied to Shin or manipulate those aorund him to get her way. Even though I want Hiromi to end up with Shin, I'm disgusted with her right now and a little of Ai, right now I'm like Noe as the match up!
__________________
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 21:40   Link #428
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
I don't see how rearranging a grave, without asking prior to acting, can even be considered close to compassionate or sympathetic. How would you like it if someone came into your home, saw the ashes of your relative on an altar, and that someone decided that it was better to move the ashes into your backyard with a tombstone instead and did so without asking you? Yes, Noe is a little...wacky, but that doesn't give Hiromi the right to impose "normal" views on to Noe.
I think you are exaggerating, though I get your point. However, I don’t really see how Hiromi is imposing her views on Noe by building a ‘new’ grave. If I remember correctly, the grave was a piece of wood placed where the other chicken was living. There was no proper grave or any indication of one, but that’s beside the point. What were her true intentions in order to build the new grave? To impose her views on Noe, I doubt it. I think Hiromi mentioned that it was not right for the other chicken to live with the piece of wood (grave) inside the coop, not that her view was better or that hers was not good. Hiromi is somewhat at fault for not asking beforehand, but if you notice, Noe didn’t reproach her for doing so.

I do consider her action sympathetic and compassionate (whether you agree or not) because Hiromi lost someone dear to her and I don’t find it strange at all if she wants to build a proper grave for the chicken (who happens to be ‘precious’ to Noe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
"Manipulative," "twisted," "cynical," "liar." (Shakes head.) I just don't see Hiromi that way at all. At all.

"Complicated," "sad," "victimized," "noble." Those are more the adjectives that make sense to me.

But as relentlessflame says, everyone gets to make their own interpretation. We'll know better as this fascinating story evolves.
I do agree that manipulative, twisted, cynical, or any other with strong negative connotation is a bit too much to qualify Hiromi while we don’t know much about her.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 21:41   Link #429
Muyasuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
After 3 episodes of this series, I can easily say that episode 4 can not come out quick enough. This is so far my favourite Romance series of the year so far. I actually like every character shown so far in this series. Every character has had excellent development so far(though I do wish that they would give Ai more screen time). I can realistically see any of the 3 winning at the end.

Spoiler for Hiromi:


From what I've seen of her so far, she is definitely my least favourite of the 3 female leads(though I still like her character, just not as much as the others). Out of the three, I really hope that she doesn't end up with Shin, if only for the series to be something different.

Spoiler for Another Series End:


It may be just me but it seems like she builds herself up on lies as in a believe she has an extremely hard time actually conveying what she actually wants to say or what she really feels, probably as a defense.

As far as Shin's mother is concerned, I believe that there is a clear reason on why she said what she said. If there wasn't, then she could have easily said something that would have caused less confusion.

Spoiler for Noe:


In short, she is just too damn likable. Similarly, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but she really reminds me of Haruhi.

Spoiler for Ai:


Even though she has the least amount of chance of winning at the moment (from what I've seen so far, I'd say 45% Hiromi, 35% Noe and 20% Ai), her path would more than likely be the most surprising as well as interesting out of the three as you can include the whole Shin and his friend dynamic pretty much can write itself.

Personally, if I had to choose in order of preference for ending, I'd go Ai, then Noe, then Hiromi.
Muyasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 22:13   Link #430
mandarb916
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I think you are exaggerating, though I get your point. However, I don’t really see how Hiromi is imposing her views on Noe by building a ‘new’ grave. If I remember correctly, the grave was a piece of wood placed where the other chicken was living. There was no proper grave or any indication of one, but that’s beside the point. What were her true intentions in order to build the new grave? To impose her views on Noe, I doubt it. I think Hiromi mentioned that it was not right for the other chicken to live with the piece of wood (grave) inside the coop, not that her view was better or that hers was not good. Hiromi is somewhat at fault for not asking beforehand, but if you notice, Noe didn’t reproach her for doing so.

I do consider her action sympathetic and compassionate (whether you agree or not) because Hiromi lost someone dear to her and I don’t find it strange at all if she wants to build a proper grave for the chicken (who happens to be ‘precious’ to Noe).
I suppose I shouldn't say "impose', but rather, "harassment" to describe the situation (as was indicated in my first post). Something like this is more or less on-par, imho, with what people did to Hayami's notebooks and what not in ep1 of H2O.

Besides, considering Noe saw through Hiromi's mask of wanting to be friends with Noe, there's no reason for Hiromi to show any compassion or sympathy to Noe.

Chain of events:
1. Noe/Hiromi standoff by the chicken coop
2. Hiromi tells negative rumors about Noe to Shin
3. Noe/Hiromi standoff outside the gym

Expanding on event 3, Hiromi mentions that maybe she should have talked to Noe first before moving the grave rather hesitantly. The moment Noe mentions that Hiromi was in the right, Hiromi's facial expression changes to a startled look which i believe is indicative of surprise...if Hiromi was indeed genuine about mentioning talking to Noe beforehand, I think Hiromi's facial expression would have eased up a few moments later to show a sense of relief, but atleast in the timeframe that we can see, that doesn't happen.

I think Hiromi knows full well that what she did was harassment hence the startled response when Noe brushed it off.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:13   Link #431
nadare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by faust123 View Post
Also many of your comments on the final scene of episode 3 are missing a key point. I know Shin didn't eavesdrop intentionally, at first, however he did decide to stay and listen in. Then you guys all jump on Hiromi's case for being a liar. WTF, how about criticizing Shin for listening in on a conversation that he obviously knew he shouldn't be listening to.
Thats because any normal person would do the same. I mean if you were him, wouldn't you be curious of who the person you have a crush on likes?
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:24   Link #432
Ultenth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington State
Heh, what's funny is that to me Hiromi's actions seem perfectly normal and explainable, and I can imagine that a lot of you out there would react similarly if put in the same situation. I think people like Ai so much because honestly she hasn't been on screen enough to show any of her flaws like the other two have. Hiromi gets a lot of screen time, and we know a lot about her character, so we know her flaws. Same thing with Noe, we know a decent amount about her, and although she doesn't seem malicious she does seem manipulative and very unusual (personally I think she is the girl most likely to go crazy and have a nice boat ending). I really think that people like Ai so much simply because they really haven't been given much of any reason to DISLIKE her, not because she's particularly likable. Personally though I think the whole thing of letting a guy flirt with you and think he has a chance so you can get with his friend is pretty messed up though, I had a girl do that to a friend of mine so she could get with me once and believe me, she had zero chance with me after I figured it out. Bro's before hoes and all that.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:24   Link #433
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
Thats because any normal person would do the same. I mean if you were him, wouldn't you be curious of who the person you have a crush on likes?
I definitely agree. A girl who I like who is about to admit who she likes. It's not exactly something I would run away from because I'm committing the crime of eavesdropping. I can't blame Shin for staying there and hearing what she had to say because I (and I think anyone else) would have done the same thing.
__________________
puretsundere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:28   Link #434
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
I suppose I shouldn't say "impose', but rather, "harassment" to describe the situation (as was indicated in my first post). Something like this is more or less on-par, imho, with what people did to Hayami's notebooks and what not in ep1 of H2O.

Besides, considering Noe saw through Hiromi's mask of wanting to be friends with Noe, there's no reason for Hiromi to show any compassion or sympathy to Noe.

Chain of events:
1. Noe/Hiromi standoff by the chicken coop
2. Hiromi tells negative rumors about Noe to Shin
3. Noe/Hiromi standoff outside the gym

Expanding on event 3, Hiromi mentions that maybe she should have talked to Noe first before moving the grave rather hesitantly. The moment Noe mentions that Hiromi was in the right, Hiromi's facial expression changes to a startled look which i believe is indicative of surprise...if Hiromi was indeed genuine about mentioning talking to Noe beforehand, I think Hiromi's facial expression would have eased up a few moments later to show a sense of relief, but atleast in the timeframe that we can see, that doesn't happen.

I think Hiromi knows full well that what she did was harassment hence the startled response when Noe brushed it off.
I don't get some of your points, but i believe Hiromi wanted to empathize sincerely with her by building the grave.

On the version I watched she says that she was hesitant because she didn’t ask her permission first… Anyway, I find her expression ambiguous; you still don’t know what she is thinking (I’m not sure what is this supposed to mean). I believe Hiromi doesn’t know what she is doing, even less that she wants to harass Noe. How would you explain her line, “what do I want to do,” which happens to be the title of the episode? This makes me believe the episode wanted to focus on Hiromi as an insecure person, not as someone who wants to harass others because she feels ‘threatened’ (or in order to impose her views or whatever you are implying).

My chain of events (just my interpretation):
1. Hiromi meets Noe in the chicken coop. She becomes interested in her.
2. Hiromi ‘wonders’ if Shinichiro knows anything about her. She discovers that he knows no more than her (how much information would you get if you receive as response “she e-mails people underground”) and hence the ‘bad’ rumor to show that she knows more.
3. Hiromi requests Shinichiro’s help.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:43   Link #435
Ultenth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington State
I view her interest in Noe as almost an onee-san reaction, she's pushed her feelings for him down, and she wants to find out more about Noe in order to see if she's fit. She knows rumors that Noe's a bit weird, but since she can't be with Shin she wants to make sure he's not with someone bad. And basically Noe knew that there was something unusual about a popular pretty sports girl like Hiromi trying to befriend her since she was the "weird girl" and had the normal distrustful reaction that a lot of school-age kids would have in that same situation. Again though, I don't think she was trying to befriend her for evil purposes, but more intelligence gathering to make sure she's suitable for Shin. I imagine if I had feelings for someone but couldn't express them because of a complex situation such as hers, I would like to personally pick out the person that they were with, to make sure they were happy and treated well.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:47   Link #436
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
I suppose I shouldn't say "impose', but rather, "harassment" to describe the situation (as was indicated in my first post). Something like this is more or less on-par, imho, with what people did to Hayami's notebooks and what not in ep1 of H2O.

Besides, considering Noe saw through Hiromi's mask of wanting to be friends with Noe, there's no reason for Hiromi to show any compassion or sympathy to Noe.

Chain of events:
1. Noe/Hiromi standoff by the chicken coop
2. Hiromi tells negative rumors about Noe to Shin
3. Noe/Hiromi standoff outside the gym

Expanding on event 3, Hiromi mentions that maybe she should have talked to Noe first before moving the grave rather hesitantly. The moment Noe mentions that Hiromi was in the right, Hiromi's facial expression changes to a startled look which i believe is indicative of surprise...if Hiromi was indeed genuine about mentioning talking to Noe beforehand, I think Hiromi's facial expression would have eased up a few moments later to show a sense of relief, but atleast in the timeframe that we can see, that doesn't happen.

I think Hiromi knows full well that what she did was harassment hence the startled response when Noe brushed it off.
I totally agree, hiromi probably wanted/expected a more negative reaction from Noe maybe to later tell Shin about it ( yes I would bet my life she would do so, it just seems she's that type of person from what I've seen so far) but Noe brushed her off like nothing, totally owning Hiromi in the process...which left Hiromi speechless as she walked away...XD
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:51   Link #437
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Why so much hate giong towards hiromi, virtually not hate post on aiko or noe. Is it because hiromi has the most leverage?
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:53   Link #438
Holy Knight
Time Bomb
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 30
Meh, Hiromi is fine. Chickenoe needs to be looked at way more. Treating shin like a piece of chicken wtf? Littering the school with chicken feed!!!! Something needs to be done ASAP!!!!!111
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:55   Link #439
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
Why so much hate giong towards hiromi, virtually not hate post on aiko or noe. Is it because hiromi has the most leverage?
I don't hate her myself, it is just that she is going the wrong way about everything. I know that in her mind what she is doing is a way of coping with her situation, but i think it is wrong. Living in the same household with Shin is really affecting her feelings for him. I think the reason she apologize to shin when he saw her in the bathroom is because she think that she is intruding in his life by being there.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 00:21   Link #440
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
I really don’t find that much hate going around Hiromi if you compare it to certain somebody who received a Bad Ending. Hiromi is probably the most fascinating and complex character out of the three (a personal opinion) and perhaps the one I’m having the hardest time to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
I view her interest in Noe as almost an onee-san reaction, she's pushed her feelings for him down, and she wants to find out more about Noe in order to see if she's fit. She knows rumors that Noe's a bit weird, but since she can't be with Shin she wants to make sure he's not with someone bad. And basically Noe knew that there was something unusual about a popular pretty sports girl like Hiromi trying to befriend her since she was the "weird girl" and had the normal distrustful reaction that a lot of school-age kids would have in that same situation. Again though, I don't think she was trying to befriend her for evil purposes, but more intelligence gathering to make sure she's suitable for Shin. I imagine if I had feelings for someone but couldn't express them because of a complex situation such as hers, I would like to personally pick out the person that they were with, to make sure they were happy and treated well.
You are making a good point. I didn't know how to convey the idea that Hiromi was actually concerned about Shinichiro instead of just jealous.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, broccoli, circus, drama, p.a. works, romance, school life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.