AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

View Poll Results: My-Otome Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 44 24.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 64 34.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 23.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.19%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-10, 04:57   Link #201
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i love that song played when Aoi drops off the cliff ^^
cant wait for the next ost, then i can type the lyrics out again like i did with the previous one

Aoi's eath aught me by suprise, i thought Mashiro would come out or that she would be stone thrown to death and that Mashiro would come out but that she covered her being queen bussiness

i like this episode but it could be beter, i voted Good ^^

i wonder when Mai would come

btw if Mai is a pillar then her robe's eath now too right?
Old 2006-02-10, 05:56   Link #202
roon
_(:q 」∠)_ _(ФωФ*」∠)_
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical
But Aoi's death has been the most dramatic event so far. Aoi's death being much more emotional than Erstin's death seems to emphasize the superiority of the odd cast to the new.
While I do agree with her death being more emotional than Erstin's, Aoi's was probably more dramatic because it was out of loyalty to Mashiro. Sure, Erstin was loyal to Nina and Arika, but that was because she liked Nina (in more ways than one?) and they were all friends. With the way Mashiro treated Aoi, it's amazing that anyone would die for her sake. It's this degree of loyalty that got me absolutely misty-eyed about Aoi, and not Erstin, because ANYONE who can still love someone under a surface like Mashiro's pre-revelation is one hell of an amazing character. Sure, they grew close... but still...

Although, the same could be said about Erstin seeing through Nina's "attitude." In which case, I have no freaking idea why Aoi's death > Erstin's IMO. ;x It may have just been such a surprise, because Aoi was supposedly just a maid. Erstin's demise? Definitely not a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical
Attacking a person because they work for someone you dislike is absurdly pathetic. There isn't an rational reason for anyone to react in such a way. I felt sorry for them up until then. After they force Aoi to jump I wouldn't have cared if Nagi used them as targets. People who attack others just because they are in bad shape aren't people I can feel sorry for. I would feel disheartened if those people survive their walk through the desert. And the way the laughed after Aoi jumped... One can hope they get eaten by wolves.
Yeah, I was very pissed off about those people attacking Aoi. While I do sympathize with the comments saying "they weren't thinking rationally, they were angry" etc., it just bothers me immensely that those people started rejoicing after Aoi had jumped. Seriously, if they wanted some kind of revenge... what a way to get it. I suppose, though, it was a realistic depiction of what people will get like under those circumstances.

Grah, I love this episode. Although I wish there was more Natsuki screentime, but oh well. With 8 episodes to go if they end at 26, I imagine the pace will either pick up immensely or just drive me insane. Or both.
Old 2006-02-10, 06:18   Link #203
Anime Adoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekocia
Spoiler:
Smith seems to believe they need the lyrics for it. They've got Nina's, they got Arika's from Erstin, now only Mashiro is missing. Which still leaves unclear what exactly connects these three.
Old 2006-02-10, 06:21   Link #204
HikariNoSekai

ooooo no! tHATS`s terrible(no spoilers)

off:as for young rulers - russian Ivan IV The Terrible started to rule when he was 12 from bloody bath for his advisors and teachers/(i suppose it`s a tradition)

Spoiler for Nina:

Last edited by HikariNoSekai; 2006-02-10 at 07:05.
Old 2006-02-10, 06:48   Link #205
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNoSekai
ooooo no! tHATS`s terrible(no spoilers)

off:as for young rulers - russian Ivan IV The Terrible started to rule when he was 12 from bloody bath for his advisors and teachers/(i suppose it`s a tradition)
Well, since I have a sneaking suspicion Nagi's nation is based on Czar-age Russia, there might a reason for Nagi being the ruler at an young age...
Old 2006-02-10, 06:57   Link #206
AMon10A

After seeing the kind of mood Miyu was in when she found Natsuki's little group. I'm totally convinced that if this show has some sort of link to the first one that Arika is related to Alyssa in some way in spite of the rest of her unknown backround.
Old 2006-02-10, 07:10   Link #207
ccardoso
Banned

As you love so much "Aoi-chan" let me remind you that she was Mashiro's maid, so she was part of that big comedy called court. In the court life was so beautiful and rich, starting from Mashiro and ending to the servants like Aoi was. They were wasting time and public funds (=people's taxes) on idiotic things like a new castle, parties and other similiar shit meanwhile common people were starving.
Aoi deserved that ending and Mashiro should be behaded for how she behaved, not like in the episode 18 that Aoi's death is shown with such a drama and the main theme is "poor Mashiro, now she's alone".
It isn't surprising from a country which still has the monarchy anyway.
Old 2006-02-10, 07:11   Link #208
HikariNoSekai

Czar-age?

off:i`ve never suppose Otome and Slaves been used by Czars.
Really it`s interest to compare Ealis countries with Earth`s ones.

on:i haven`t seen ep but the plot is looking some way more global then hime one (compare 1 school,where girls played , and 1 school with a crowd of teen nuclear bombs).
ps:gomen for off/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso
As you love so much "Aoi-chan" let me remind you that she was Mashiro's maid, so she was part of that big comedy called court. In the court life was so beautiful and rich, starting from Mashiro and ending to the servants like Aoi was. They were wasting time and public funds (=people's taxes) on idiotic things like a new castle, parties and other similiar shit meanwhile common people were starving.
Aoi deserved that ending and Mashiro should be behaded for how she behaved, not like in the episode 18 that Aoi's death is shown with such a drama and the main theme is "poor Mashiro, now she's alone".
And your want Nagi to make Windobloom the most democratic country in the world?(with him playin president role)
Old 2006-02-10, 08:01   Link #209
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNoSekai
And your want Nagi to make Windobloom the most democratic country in the world?(with him playin president role)
No, of course... but at least he's evil and he isn't ashamed of it... while Mashiro plays the sweet princes who thinks to be a wonderful leader.
Old 2006-02-10, 08:57   Link #210
Urd
Airborne

it seems the principal was out for 3 whole days....
anyone can tell me what Nao said to Natsuki when she woke up?
Old 2006-02-10, 09:03   Link #211
Kourin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso
That seemed a little too harsh on Mashiro and Aoi. Like people mentioned before, Mashiro is almost nothing more than a symbol for the country. The real people who rule are the advisors or those with high powerful positions within the courts. Mashiro just mindlessly stamp the papers. If anyone is mostly responsible, it's the greedy court officials.

Also, Mashiro wasn't aware that there was such poverty in her country and was quite ignorant to many things due to her upbringing. Sure, ignorance isn't a good shield to treat her people like that but those in power indulged her whenever they could as they fed their own pockets. After all, the queen may be powerless but one must keep her happy, especially the servants.

This brings me to Aoi. Her and Sakomizu are more like her nannies. They do try to get Mashiro to do her job but there's only so much they could do as Mashiro is the queen and have free reign over what she wants to do. Aoi's death deserved that drama. It took a lot of guts and loyalty for her not to betray Mashiro's location when she was right before her eyes. Imagine oneself in Aoi's position: must have been frightening with all these people taking out their angry on you when you're just a simple maid (not even some official with political and decision making power).

Mashiro wasn't exactly 'kind and sympathetic' to Aoi most of the times, doing her spoiled princess act but Aoi knew that deep down, Mashiro was just a little girl. She's not bad to the bone or anything, just young and ignorant. She could had saved herself but chose death and loyalty. It's very admirable.

Furthermore, a little more sympathy is necessary for Mashiro's birth. Her father and mother were killed when she was a child. Real princess or fake, she never got a chance to know them. A child is born almost a blank slate and one's caretakers truly play a large role in how they turn out. If one was spoiled from birth, one can't simply blame it all on the child.

And in Mashiro's case, she was actually beginning to learn from the things that Takumi showed her. The spoiled princess wanted to be a queen who "can bring happiness to everyone" and it just so happened that the day she was going to turn a new leaf Nagi, the evil showed up. If anything, I dislike Nagi a lot more than Mashiro. It ruined her chance for redemption and now the country forever hates her. (of course, this is just currently. who knows what'll happen in future eps.)

Thirdly, and realistically, in every country, developing or developed, there'll always be poor people no matter how well you do. There's always projects within the budget that are stupid and simply spent for the benefit of corrupt officials or luxury items. Of course, in developing, it's the majority that are extremely poor and suffering. At least in Mashiro's country, there wasn't random killings or unstable governments. They actually put an effort into making things look fine. People aren't slaughtered for religious belief like in so many parts of the world or tortured and killed for being 'second class' citizens. Honestly, it could have been much worst, especially if Mashiro developed a taste for killing or taking joy out of the suffering of the poor that a few rulers seem to develop. At least she cared that there were poor people suffering... she could had easily dismissed them, saying that they deserved it or simply don't care. (not even being the ruler, there are many rich people out there, simply indulging in their extravagent lifestyles while turning a blind eye to the desperate parts of the places that they live in)

Also, a good part ofthe population seem to be living in acceptable conditions in Windbloom (say... 40%-60%?). I assumed this because the caravan that Mashiro travelled with didn't seem that big. Sure, they might just be one scattered portion of the people but so far, the anime showed us only one slums. (the Nao thing is just the sketchy places of any place. ) There are probably a few more but the rate of poverty doesn't seem that rampant.

So... I end this rant by saying that Mashiro couldn't be entirely blamed for the state of her country due to her upbringing, the way in which the country is ran and that she deserves brownie points for her good intentions in the last 2 episodes.

As for, Aoi... she was just her servant/nanny. It's not her responsibility to mother Mashiro but she did try to be a friend and someone who cares. She may not have done the lesson thing like Takumi did but that doesn't mean she automatically deserves such an end, especially under such unjustified anger. In other words, she did what most people would had done: go with the flow. It's just so much easier to take that route and most people do. This was what made her loyalty towards the end simply amazing. She had a choice but chose the noble way. She was just your average normal girl but the courage she displayed was extraodinary.

Last edited by Kourin; 2006-02-10 at 09:13.
Old 2006-02-10, 09:46   Link #212
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

First I have a few things to say, then I've got some post quoting to do.. (and with some pretty fitting music in the background, in my opinion, and in a very good mood, I'll start..)

I'll start up by saying.. incredible. I never considered an episode of this style following the last one, and I must commend Sunrise for this excellent piece of story telling. Utter brilliance. It leaves some doubt in viewer's minds, but not a large amount, it lets viewers fill in the gaps between last episode and this.. for now, it has a very, very emotional and fantastically executed 'death' (more on that latter) this episode shot to the top of my favourite (serious) episodes. I never thought something like this could happen after the last episode, but yet again, Sunrise have refreshed my respect for them.

About Aoi's death.. I don't believe it for a moment, but first I must say, if you believe disappearing into the darkness fast is a sign of a future come-back look at the last Indiana Jones film (well.. not the last for much longer), no-one came out that misty hole in the ground inside the temple at the end did they? What I base my thoughts about this on is not as placed on assumption rather that media techniques. A close up still frame of Aoi's face with her smiling, yet with dead eyes and a small trickle of blood from the corner of her mouth, fading from white into white slowly would have been a very powerful indication that she WAS dead, but wouldn't have detracted from the feel of the overall scene. It is also a common media technique; it's even used in 'Don't drink and drive' TV adverts in the UK. Or was..

Apart from that we have the following points. At number one, with the likely reset at the end, Aoi can't be brought back by that; Sunrise would never be able to excuse it, it's just the people that went green sparklies. Two, it IS the kind of death people walk away from, caught by a friend (in Aoi's case, I hardly think any of us would have to consider who would be the conventional choice for this role..) and kept out of the storyline for awhile - only to pop back up with extra meaning. Three, the old 'we didn't see a body so she ain't dead' still applies, I guess. That needs no further explanation.

Other than that, we have Nina in this episode for only a short period of time. This I wasn't happy with, but I loved the rest of the episode so it compensated for this gap for me. I couldn't understand what she was saying, but it looks like she has totally cracked. It looked like she was trying to cope with it by acting normal - pretending it never happened. This itself is very damaging for a person. It could even go so far as her guilt overwhelming her and either destroying her mentally, or lead to her mind inventing an alternate possibility to cope with it. She looked unsettlingly happy when she saw Sergei - and then it seemed something he said sparked off the guilt and unhappiness she was keeping covered. Something like "it wasn't your fault" perhaps? Like that ever helps..

Keeping your emotions inside you is bad. Very bad. I know, I've done it. And I expect quite a few people here have as well. Talking really does help, and Nina isn't the kind of person to do that. Bad news. She won't let anyone know her problems - especially after what happened between her and Arika. She probably convinced herself that it was partially to do with her trusting Arika with some of her feelings that things resulted as they did.

Um.. what else.. Mashiro really learnt a lot this episode. If she ever gets back to being leader, this will make her a very good one. However, the immense criticisms of the lower class that Nagi kicked out deserved their opinions. I am not happy that Aoi took the brunt of their rage induced delusions, but they way they were treated, they had a right to lose their temper. Heh.. understatement, I know.

On to the quoting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma

++Very little Arika (I had been hoping for this since... episode 1)

-Not enough Nina
Over this, we share identical opinions.

Quote:
Nina felt unnaturally animated/genki this episode which made me chuckle but also frown. Nina's world got turned upside-down and she's trying to deal with it. I think her world's gonna get inverted a couple more times before this is through, this is just the beginning
Like I said in my post above, I think she really cracked. She wouldn't act like this normally.. or even abnormally in a sane state of mind. She looked far more at ease in front of Sergei that she is normally, or perhaps a far different type of unease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAlchemy
So, this means if everything comes back to life, like all of the HiME's and their precious persons, because they disappeared from green flashes, would this mean IF:

Erstin comes back while Aoi doesn't? That's IF they revive all the people with the green sparckles, looks like it.
A worrying thought, eh? Aoi didn't/doesn't deserve to 'die', and she deserves the reset. Good then, that she probably isn't dead. Sunrise can't excuse bringing back people that didnt go the way of the green sparklies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Hmmm...after watching this episode from a variety of different angles, I'm going to go out on a limb say...
Spoiler:
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Quote:
The thing is... a part of me hopes she really is dead and doesn't come back because I am of the opinion that if she comes back then meaning behind her sacrifice is cheapened. That's why I HATED the HiME ending.
Sacrifice cheapened? I don't see how that works. And you really are making the choice to feel that way yourself. When they made the sacrifice, when they decided to die, they didn't know or even consider there was a life beyond death - a team of writers ready to bring them back at the end for a cheerful picnic with all the previous enemies and friends together.

It's like saying, a team of firemen enter a burning building to rescue people trapped inside, knowing full well they are risking their lives, and then the building collapses before the last few can get out - and you saying "Hey, let them burn, otherwise the sacrifice they made for exchanging their personal safety for that of others will be cheapened" and a rescue operation not being attempted. I'm sorry, I just consider it complete foolishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog
Maybe what happened is Aoi just is knocked out cold and needs a kiss from her "prince" as it were to wake her up. I don't need to go and explain who might that be.
My kind of storyline addition.. Aoi and Chie recently, quite randomly, became a very cool plot device for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Brilliant.
Hey! Being cynical is my job!

Um... signature image in progress.
Old 2006-02-10, 09:52   Link #213
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I just watched the raw. I didn't understand much but it seemed like such a boring episode. As if I can believe that anyone (except Arika who is retarded) would sacrifice his or her life for Mashiro. Yeah, right... I actually laughed out loud when I saw that scene, it was so hard to believe that this was actually happening. As for the rest of episode I will give my input after I watch the subbed version. The best thing was that there was almost no Arika.

Quote:
At number one, with the likely reset at the end, Aoi can't be brought back by that; Sunrise would never be able to excuse it, it's just the people that went green sparklies.
Does the name Alyssa Searrs ring any bells? Episode 26 of Mai-HiME? So, don't be so sure that Aoi is not coming or that she is dead at all.

P.S. Why do they keep making fun of Haruka and depict her as a total moron? Her brief appearance did not seem funny at all, IMHO.

Last edited by Matrim; 2006-02-10 at 10:04.
Old 2006-02-10, 10:02   Link #214
Oberon

I thought this was a wonderful episode, first and foremost because it provided some wonderful displays of emotion. In the beginning for example when Mashiro hides in fear of discovery from the soldiers. Mortal fear and despair (without it crossing into the emo zone) is something that's rarely shown in anime especially from main characters. Same goes for Nina's attempt to act as if nothing happened, but then cracks when Sergay apologizes to her. And the highlight, the scene at the cliff. The moment that stood out most for me was when Mashiro wanted to step forward knowing that it's the right thing to do but couldn't, because her legs wouldn't move out of overwhelming fear, growing more agitated with each second that she couldn't bring herself to move. That, paired with Aoi, who saw her, realized she was safe and who finally finds the resolve to die for her made for some powerful scenes. The wonderful whistful song playing in the background helped quite a bit, of course. As for her "death" being permanent or not, I don't care in this case. In that instant the characters didn't know whether there'll be a reset or not. Their emotions were genuine and even if Aoi comes back at a later point, that doesn't change the fact that she was willing to give her life for Mashiro.

As for the mob, I'll play the devils advocate for a bit. Of course, we have a problem with them, because one of the most lovable characters in this show was driven to her death because of them. A few hours after I saw the episode, I realized that those people don't have the omniscient perspective that we have. From their point of view she was some unknown entity living away in a world of glamor and something of a right hand maid of the evil princess, who even drove them from their homeland. I didn't catch all of their dialogue, but I think they're not really aware that their forced exodus from Windbloom wasn't really Mashiro's fault. So when they got ahold of someone in the higher ranks, they went into french revolution mode (remember Mashiro's naive "Let them eat candy" line?). On the other hand, although I see where they're coming from, I'm still angry at them, because as the omniscient viewer that I am, I do know the nice person who was indirectly killed be the mob. So I hope there's some kind of realization waiting for them so that they truly know what they've done and what that makes them. Maybe the blonde little girl will learn this lesson, as she seems to be the viewers connection to the faceless crowds of the poor.

Last edited by Oberon; 2006-02-10 at 10:24.
Old 2006-02-10, 10:38   Link #215
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
So, don't be so sure that Aoi is not coming or that she is dead at all.

*Shoots self* I.. um.. did kinda mention I didn't think she was dead.. several times..

Um... signature image in progress.
Old 2006-02-10, 11:19   Link #216
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I just watched the raw. I didn't understand much but it seemed like such a boring episode. As if I can believe that anyone (except Arika who is retarded) would sacrifice his or her life for Mashiro. Yeah, right... I actually laughed out loud when I saw that scene...
If you cannot understand the dialog, how can you possibly make fun of the character motivations?
Old 2006-02-10, 11:24   Link #217
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Frankly, I couldn't care less about "more fighting". It's true that most of the fights right now have mostly been "innuendo style", but that's not what I watch Otome for in the first place. I can imagine though that people who insist on fighting animation may feel a bit disappointed.

Nah, I'm in for the drama and story, and this is where the show has been at its finest for some time now. Keep it up!
I thought I already mentioned I didnt expect dbz or gsd. Its like getting married. You dont expect to be "mounted" 24/7 and it shouldnt be a reason for marriage, but you do expect some 'mounting.' same deal here.
Old 2006-02-10, 11:29   Link #218
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
If you cannot understand the dialog, how can you possibly make fun of the character motivations?
It was pretty obvious why Aoi sacrificed herself, wasn't it? Plus, I read some summaries later.
Old 2006-02-10, 11:34   Link #219
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Does the name Alyssa Searrs ring any bells? Episode 26 of Mai-HiME? So, don't be so sure that Aoi is not coming or that she is dead at all.
Except Alyssa Searrsr was a Hime, yes a fake one but she had power which was why Mikoto and Mai were the last ones standing but the Land to Fuka opened up.

I don't recall Aoi actually having ANY connections at all to these powers.

Quote:
I just watched the raw. I didn't understand much but it seemed like such a boring episode. As if I can believe that anyone (except Arika who is retarded) would sacrifice his or her life for Mashiro. Yeah, right... I actually laughed out loud when I saw that scene...
This is a woman who devoted her life to taking care of Mashiro and even went to the extent of seeking external help for Mashiro to get her out of her room. Despite everything that Mashiro did to her Aoi nevertheless stood by her. You'd think it's a surprise she would sacrifice her life for her?

Unlike the people, Aoi was always by her side and I would assume that she knows more about Mashiro than anyone else.

The reason why it had so much impact was because Aoi was one of the few people who actually cared about Mashiro.
Old 2006-02-10, 11:50   Link #220
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

after this esp, am gonna stick to my option that mashiro will still remain as the queen ,whom she is or not being the queen..

esp 18 still no mai.. i concluded that she is gonna be the "guest of honour" of mai otome..coming out for the last few esp than take sergey away and both of them eloped....

cliffhanger ending for mai otome would be a gd one..chance of hoping for ova ,or even better a new season