AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-12, 01:34   Link #101
DetectiveA

Send a message via MSN to DetectiveA
Whats Valentines Day?
DetectiveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 01:43   Link #102
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

This thread... we're so ronery...

I'm going to lock myself in my room and cry.

Seriously, I'll go to work like I do every day, and go see the film There Will Be Blood afterwards. Surely no one will take their Valentines there, right. I mean, it's not exactly a romantic film from what I've heard... Right?
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 01:50   Link #103
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This thread... we're so ronery...

I'm going to lock myself in my room and cry.

Seriously, I'll go to work like I do every day, and go see the film There Will Be Blood afterwards. Surely no one will take their Valentines there, right. I mean, it's not exactly a romantic film from what I've heard... Right?
It's very brooding and dark, perfect for us very cynical animesuki members who apparently are very bitter about this holiday. The fact that the day goes by like a normal day yet people are actually having fun with their lovers is indeed excruciating;y painful to us single men and women. I've made myself happier over the years by throwing away women as a waste of money, therefor I can never be disappointed.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 11:45   Link #104
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Valentines Day is idiotic.

Woohoo. A Hallmark Holiday. I'm soooooo thrilled.

/sarcasm
THANK YOU!! To me Valentines Day is idiotic too..I mean, It's to celebrate love is it not? You can do that every day of the week...all they did was make a name for it so Halmark can get more money...It's utterly pointless.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 11:50   Link #105
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
not at all interested w/ valentines day, though my mom's birthday is two days before the 14th, so i guess i should celebrate, in a way.
Old 2008-02-12, 11:53   Link #106
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
*Bites lip*

My day will come...soon

Unfortuantly it is a still another one of those holidays that hold no meaning to me :/

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 15:53   Link #107
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
THANK YOU!! To me Valentines Day is idiotic too..I mean, It's to celebrate love is it not? You can do that every day of the week...all they did was make a name for it so Halmark can get more money...It's utterly pointless.
you don't need buy hallmark cards for valentine's day, i am too cheap to buy my date a card hahaha for some people Vday just an excuse to buy each other presents. Siya, according to your logic, Father's day, mother's day, independence day (if you live in US), even thanks giving... are all unnecessary, cuz you can thank Jesus, thank your parents every day.
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 20:55   Link #108
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
you don't need buy hallmark cards for valentine's day, i am too cheap to buy my date a card hahaha for some people Vday just an excuse to buy each other presents. Siya, according to your logic, Father's day, mother's day, independence day (if you live in US), even thanks giving... are all unnecessary, cuz you can thank Jesus, thank your parents every day.
I'll have a go at this one, if you don't mind:

Father's Day, Mother's Day, Grandparent's Day and every other hallmark holiday are pointless. They are merely attempts by large corporations (Hallmark specifically) to siphon more money out of the pockets of the already struggling masses, in an attempt to increase their profit margins, because most major holidays are not accompanied by card buying (Christmas is the only one I can think of). As a result, they create these false holidays in an attempt to make people feel obligated to give some sort of gift, which generally materializes in the form of a card. You shouldn't need a company to tell you when to say "I love you, and thank you for everything you've done for me" to your parents/girlfriend/husband or wife/grandparents/etc., or when to treat them special (which should be every day, but I mean more special than any other day), they're your loved ones. Insincere holidays like this make true appreciation for somebody's loved ones unimportant, because many people think that if they do something on those specific days, they're off the hook for the rest of the year, which is bullshit.

Thanksgiving, I don't think, can fall under this category. Holidays of that nature--as in, holidays which extend through history--are more about celebrating friends and family, not so much about gift giving. You can't necessarily celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas at any time of year (you could, but it wouldn't really be those holidays then). Although the true stories of those holidays have gone by the wayside in favor of more cheerful, heartwarming versions, it's the spirit of the season that makes those holidays worth celebrating.

Hallmark holidays don't have a "spirit of the season." They have a "spirit of the shopper" mentality, which makes them contrived and pointless.
Old 2008-02-12, 23:11   Link #109
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

big cooperate use these holidays as their market strategy, i don't know the story about who came first, the chicken or the egg, so I don't know the "truth" no comment...
Old 2008-02-12, 23:15   Link #110
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
Valentine's Day has meant nothing to me for 5 straight years now.
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 23:28   Link #111
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
School, friends, home, sleep. Pretty much it. After my past relationships, I don't really have the patience for a relationship at the moment.
Old 2008-02-12, 23:44   Link #112
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Last midterm on the 14th. Woohoo.

Latest Post: Black Lagoon Summaries Update and Volume 1 (VIZ) Impressions… (August 15,2008)
Latest Summary: Elemental Gelade [Volume 14] (July 29, 2008)
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 23:48   Link #113
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
big cooperate use these holidays as their market strategy, i don't know the story about who came first, the chicken or the egg, so I don't know the "truth" no comment...
If the "truth" you're referring to is in regards to the true stories of Thanksgiving and Christmas, they can be found all over the internet:

Thanksgiving - The first Thanksgiving to be given said title, was a celebration, by English settlers in the 1600's (1621 I believe), after they had slaughtered the local Native American tribe, and stolen their crops. The crops of the settlers had failed to bear adequate food supply and, since the settlers had depended upon the natives for so many years already, they decided to quit asking (which I'm sure would have worked then, just as it had before) and take. When the natives tried to fight back, they were massacred. Although massacres were taking place before this time, "Thanksgiving" was officially celebrated once the leader of the tribe, Metacomet, had been killed, drawn and quartered, and his skull put on display.

Christmas - This is nothing but a Christian attempt to combat the traditional pagan celebration of the winter solstice. Early pagan worshipers celebrated the winter solstice in December, offering prayer to the spirits of the earth that the cold would be lifted, and the harvest would bear a great yield. Fearing that people would revert to paganism from Christianity, leaders of the Christian religion placed Christmas after the solstice celebration in an attempt to combat the pagan festival. To support their motive, they suggested that this day would be the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. In fact, Jesus was most likely born in the spring months, closer to the time when we celebrate his death; that holiday is called Easter (and I won't even get in to how we celebrate that holiday).

Valentine's Day - What started as a celebration to the Queen of Greek gods and goddesses, and love and marriage, has become a way for greedy businessmen to line their pockets in the hopes that they'll make enough money to buy their new summer home in the Balkans (or wherever the hell those rich *expletive deleted* like to vacation).
Old 2008-02-12, 23:49   Link #114
mazer8

Well tomorrow is the big day...guess I better go find something to do to occupy my restless mind.
Old 2008-02-13, 01:48   Link #115
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Valentine's Day - What started as a celebration to the Queen of Greek gods and goddesses, and love and marriage, has become a way for greedy businessmen to line their pockets in the hopes that they'll make enough money to buy their new summer home in the Balkans (or wherever the hell those rich *expletive deleted* like to vacation).
So eggs do come b4 chicken, hehe...
man, Chinese new year beats all these holidays. 4-6 days of straight feasting, drinking, and playing majong with family, you dont give any cards or wrapoing any gift, you get hot cash instead, oh not to mention the crazy fireworks... what's better than that, seriously
Old 2008-02-13, 15:29   Link #116
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Valentines Day is idiotic.

Woohoo. A Hallmark Holiday. I'm soooooo thrilled.

/sarcasm
I agree, it's a stupid holiday.

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 15:33   Link #117
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author

Huh? Valentine's day? Just another damn 24 hours.

*Goes off and continue Baccano!*

Rosario + Vampire[Mizore].Spice and Wolf[Horo].
Hayate no Gotoku![Hinagiku].Hayate no Gotoku![Maria]
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 15:33   Link #118
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

i take to the people who say V-Day is idiotic don't have a valentine
But im getting this girl some flowers
Old 2008-02-13, 15:50   Link #119
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
i take to the people who say V-Day is idiotic don't have a valentine
But im getting this girl some flowers
Is she your girlfriend? Be careful. Flowers are hit or miss in my opinion.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 16:12   Link #120
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

no mine dumb me 2 weeks ago
she is just a homie