AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-02-03, 02:39   Link #41
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA... yay politicians...
u realize this ova was released last may right...
__________________

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
~Spike Spiegel
Missilebuster is offline  
Old 2007-02-03, 08:43   Link #42
Suchi
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sweden, Malmö
I do now....this aint a new one, its the OVA bout Tessa...but lets hope that there will be a new season instead :P
If someone get some kind of source to this rumour please post it
Suchi is offline  
Old 2007-03-28, 05:16   Link #43
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 32
Thumbs up

Anime-Shrine(henceforth, [ASH]) has released their version of the TSR:OVA. I have always been very appreciative of their dedication in making sure that the translation is accurate, and they are one of the few fansub groups that bother to release a v2 of their releases in order to correct grammatical mistakes and such.

I especially like the way they did Tessa's "gibber" when she went hysterical in front of Melissa. They are also the first one, if I am not wrong, to nail the reason why Sousuke misinterpreted Tessa's confession.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline  
Old 2007-04-20, 21:04   Link #44
wtffmp111
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
WORST. OVA. EVER.

OVA's are supposed to be the good ending after a crappy season ending (*cough* TSR *cough*), not some crappy story about that crappy captain. -.-

Yea you guys might like her, but Chidori and Sousuke are the main-main characters in this thing, they're the ones in love, and they're the ONES THAT HAVEN'T FREAKING KISSED!!!

: (((((

Sigh, I guess it'll be another year or two before they release more FMP anime (that's got the real characters in it). Sigh.... watched this stuff almost 2 summers ago (like 1 year 9 months) back before TSR came out. Was hoping when I rewatched this today it would be the answer I was looking for. But nooooo..... It's just that wierdo going on about his Anime and Mr. Invincible making horrible food.
wtffmp111 is offline  
Old 2007-04-20, 22:54   Link #45
mdauben
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In a world all my own
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtffmp111 View Post
OVA's are supposed to be the good ending after a crappy season ending (*cough* TSR *cough*),
Not always. Sometimes (like this) they are just a fun extra thrown out to the fans.

Besides that, why did you think the ending of TSR was bad? I thought it was actually the best ending of the three seasons, as it offered:
Spoiler for Episode 3 Ending:


Quote:
Yea you guys might like her, but Chidori and Sousuke are the main-main characters in this thing,
Yeah, but C&S get plenty of screen time. I thought it was nice to see Tessa get some love. I still think Chidori and Sousuke are a done deal, but Tessa is cute and she adds a bit of romantic tension to the Chidori and Sousuke relationship.
mdauben is offline  
Old 2007-04-21, 07:56   Link #46
wtffmp111
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Not always. Sometimes (like this) they are just a fun extra thrown out to the fans.

Besides that, why did you think the ending of TSR was bad? I thought it was actually the best ending of the three seasons, as it offered:
Spoiler for Episode 3 Ending:



Yeah, but C&S get plenty of screen time. I thought it was nice to see Tessa get some love. I still think Chidori and Sousuke are a done deal, but Tessa is cute and she adds a bit of romantic tension to the Chidori and Sousuke relationship.
well I basically said already....

How long has TSR been done for? And how long are we going to wait from now to get more anime?

Answer: a long freaking time.

And uh, not really sure if this needs spoiler tags, not really a plot thing, just gonna talk about S&C's relationship a bit (so don't worry, you can click it).

Spoiler:


Look at Mai Hime, Escaflowne, Love Hina, etc.... All end with a lot more closure between the main hero and heroine. I realize there may be more coming (In fact I hope so, cause I've never seen an Anime that had so little progression between the main characters. Seems like all they care about is progressing the military aspect of the story, which I disagree with.

If you're gonna leave us high and dry for so long in between Anime stuff, at least throw us a bone before you do so.
wtffmp111 is offline  
Old 2007-04-21, 11:27   Link #47
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Seriously wtffmp111. just calm down, this is only an anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtffmp111 View Post
well I basically said already....

How long has TSR been done for? And how long are we going to wait from now to get more anime?

Answer: a long freaking time.
you should realize that anime just aren't an easy business : until another studio is interested and get the right/licence from Gatoh to animate the rest, it will only depend on Kyoto Animation.

And obviously, the studio isn't solely destined for FMP series, having other projects like any other studio.

be glad they already made FMP?F and FMP!TSR.
Quote:
And uh, not really sure if this needs spoiler tags, not really a plot thing, just gonna talk about S&C's relationship a bit (so don't worry, you can click it).

Spoiler:
because you think they would end into "that" that easely?
think a bit about this : Sousuke doesn't have any experience in this.
Kaname just doesn't accept her feelings.

ending FMP with "that" before COMO is just wrong, character and plot wise.
Actually, they did a good job, since GONZO messed quite a lot with the plot continuity, and KyoAni managed to put back the plot right on the original one.

and seriously, a relationship without a kiss doesn't mean that it didn't evolved. on the contrary, the awkwardness is sufficient for both of them.
not to mention that a kiss would be the conclusion between the 2, and anyone which isn't oblivious to the way how both Kaname and Sousuke evolve would say : they are not prepared for it yet.

Quote:
Look at Mai Hime, Escaflowne, Love Hina, etc.... All end with a lot more closure between the main hero and heroine. I realize there may be more coming (In fact I hope so, cause I've never seen an Anime that had so little progression between the main characters. Seems like all they care about is progressing the military aspect of the story, which I disagree with.
you are comparing orange with apple : the characters, the context and the plot aren't the same at all.
Quote:
If you're gonna leave us high and dry for so long in between Anime stuff, at least throw us a bone before you do so.
FMP isn't dedicated only on Kaname and Sousuke's relationship, you know?


*shrug* come to the think of it, i don't really understand why people are mixing the main characters names... most here just use one's first name, and other's last name... huh?
__________________
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2007-04-21, 12:08   Link #48
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Actually Sagara has come a long way, think about it, he was little more than a trained dog at the beginning, doing as he is told. He now decides what s best for him and what will make him happy. This is the revelation in TSR. I think for Chidori she's starting to understand that the little hints aren't going to cut it (cooking dinner, haircut etx) she's going to have to come right out and say it. Which is also crucial to TSR, she came close but no go, it's always harder for girls to go first (almost)

Why I do it the (name thing). saw fansubs first, and as with what I do in RL always use the term they refer to themselves as. Sousuke always refers to himself Sagara Sousuke etc etc in the fansubs so it becomes habit. The others refer to themselves as Melissa Mao, Kurz Webber, Tessa Testarossa etc etc.
hobbes_fan is offline  
Old 2007-04-21, 12:14   Link #49
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
right : sousuke's character development was tedious, since he didn't have a reason to change himself, until his meeting with kaname, and the various situations they were thrown off in the 1st season and TSR.

well, japanese refer themselves with the last name, then first name in fact.
they still use the western order with the foreigner. (this is why tessa, melissa and kurz aren't affected by this problem)
but the names swap gets kinda weird when people says "chidori / sousuke" or "kaname / sagara", since both characters names use the same order, but people don't use the same part in fact.
not really a problem anyway (as long as we can understand so XD), but still not really natural
__________________
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2007-04-23, 14:45   Link #50
Maxon
Demon Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Underground
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
well, japanese refer themselves with the last name, then first name in fact.
they still use the western order with the foreigner. (this is why tessa, melissa and kurz aren't affected by this problem)
but the names swap gets kinda weird when people says "chidori / sousuke" or "kaname / sagara", since both characters names use the same order, but people don't use the same part in fact.
not really a problem anyway (as long as we can understand so XD), but still not really natural
Weird, I always thought her first name was Kaname.
Maxon is offline  
Old 2007-04-23, 14:50   Link #51
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
yeah but some say Chidori, despite they use "sousuke" in the same line (there is also the opposite, this is less weird though )

meh... "back to the thread", as i could observe with the amount of "school life" they didn't animate yet, they might pull out another OAV of the same caliber (i hope so, considering the chance of having a proper season is fairly low)
of course, no announcement, or whatsoever, just something that bugged me for a while (would love the episodes dedicated to Hayashimizu )
__________________
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2007-04-23, 15:38   Link #52
mdauben
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In a world all my own
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtffmp111 View Post
Look at Mai Hime, Escaflowne, Love Hina, etc.... All end with a lot more closure between the main hero and heroine.
Yes, but all of those series actually ended. Even though we have had three "seasons" of FMP! at this point, the FMP! story is far from over. The issue is, I think, that if they gave us a diffinitive "closure" on the S&K relationship, that would put an end to the series, or at least an end to the main storyline of the whole series, the relationship between Sousuke and Kaname.

To bring up my own example to counters yours, look at the Ah! My Goddess TV series. Two seasons now and no where near any conclusion of the Keiichi/Belldandy relationship becuase that would end the story and foreclose any chance of a further season.

Quote:
How long has TSR been done for? And how long are we going to wait from now to get more anime?
You have a point, and if we knew for a fact that FMP!TSR was the last FMP! anime that would be done I would rather have seen the issue of Sousuke and Kaname's relationship tied up more completly and clearly. Hopefully, however, there will eventually be more so I am just as happy that they let that storyline hanging.
mdauben is offline  
Old 2007-04-23, 16:00   Link #53
masterwok
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon View Post
Weird, I always thought her first name was Kaname.
kaname is her first name bc sousuke calls her chidori.
masterwok is offline  
Old 2007-04-23, 16:45   Link #54
animeffs13240
V for Victory
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtffmp111 View Post
WORST. OVA. EVER.

OVA's are supposed to be the good ending after a crappy season ending (*cough* TSR *cough*), not some crappy story about that crappy captain. -.-

Yea you guys might like her, but Chidori and Sousuke are the main-main characters in this thing, they're the ones in love, and they're the ONES THAT HAVEN'T FREAKING KISSED!!!

: (((((
I know that Tessa isn't one of your favorite characters, but at least give her some credit. Even though FMP's love story involves Kaname and Sousuke, she makes the anime pretty funny (she always seems to complicate things for Kaname and Sousuke such as Behemoth and the last two episodes Fumoffu disc 3)
She deserves a little bit more screenplay, i think she's a beautiful character and is easily distinguished with her beautiful gray hair.
Spoiler for end of TSR:


Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Actually Sagara has come a long way, think about it, he was little more than a trained dog at the beginning, doing as he is told. He now decides what s best for him and what will make him happy. This is the revelation in TSR. I think for Chidori she's starting to understand that the little hints aren't going to cut it (cooking dinner, haircut etx) she's going to have to come right out and say it. Which is also crucial to TSR, she came close but no go, it's always harder for girls to go first (almost)
hobbes_fan does a good job explaining the importance of TSR, he says that Sousuke has evolved during his times with Kaname but the series shows a deeper emotion of Sousuke and Kaname's relationship. It also showed how much they cared for each other.
Spoiler for sousuke's emotions of TSR:

So, wtffmp, just because they haven't kissed doesn't mean they don't have a solid emotion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Yes, but all of those series actually ended. Even though we have had three "seasons" of FMP! at this point, the FMP! story is far from over. The issue is, I think, that if they gave us a diffinitive "closure" on the S&K relationship, that would put an end to the series, or at least an end to the main storyline of the whole series, the relationship between Sousuke and Kaname.

To bring up my own example to counters yours, look at the Ah! My Goddess TV series. Two seasons now and no where near any conclusion of the Keiichi/Belldandy relationship becuase that would end the story and foreclose any chance of a further season.


You have a point, and if we knew for a fact that FMP!TSR was the last FMP! anime that would be done I would rather have seen the issue of Sousuke and Kaname's relationship tied up more completly and clearly. Hopefully, however, there will eventually be more so I am just as happy that they let that storyline hanging.
mdauben also does a good job of explaining the importance of tsr. The third season ends in a cliffhanger leaving the watcher with many questions such as when does kaname finally confess her feelings with Sousuke, what about the new terrorisist group, and what about Tessa's brother (what role will he play). If the series did end at TSR then I would be just as mad as you about Kaname and Sousuke's relationship. There is so much left undone.
anyways, wtffmp, that's pretty much my explanation (you're probably not even reading this though but that's okay I just love talking about anime especially FMP

by the way hobbes_fan and mdauben did i miss anything important or make a mistake in my analysis and/or theories????
__________________
animeffs13240 is offline  
Old 2007-04-23, 17:09   Link #55
mdauben
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In a world all my own
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeffs13240 View Post
She deserves a little bit more screenplay, i think she's a beautiful character and is easily distinguished with her beautiful gray hair.
I agree. When she was first introduced in FMP! I didn't care much for her. A squeeky voiced little teenager as the commander of a multi-million dollar attack submarine??? Puh-leez!!!

As her character is developed in the course of the three series, though, I came to like her more and more. Not only in her own right, but in the "tension" she adds to the Sousuke/Kaname relationship. FMP! would not be the same (and not nearly as good) without her.

Quote:
So, wtffmp, just because they haven't kissed doesn't mean they don't have a solid emotion.
Certainly. Both characters showed dramatic emotional impacts when they thought they were going to be separated. And just look at what Souske's reaction was when Gauron told him what he had done to Kaname in TSR.
Spoiler for Sousuke's Response:

Quote:
by the way hobbes_fan and mdauben did i miss anything important or make a mistake in my analysis and/or theories????
I don't think so!
mdauben is offline  
Old 2007-04-23, 17:47   Link #56
animeffs13240
V for Victory
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post

I don't think so!
thanks i love fmp that i just like to ramble on about it, i can't wait untill the next season is out (i won't forgive the author if he doesn't do another season)!!!
__________________
animeffs13240 is offline  
Old 2007-04-24, 02:04   Link #57
hobbes_fan
You could say.....
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Not to be a jerk about this but I'm really surprised how many people are dissappointed its about Tessa, After all the title of the OVA is "THE CAPTAINS DAY OFF" Or (tessa's day off in some fansubs) who else is it going to be about? From what I read there was no indication that this was a direct continuation of TSR or the FMP storyline rather it was just a random moment thrown together for a few laughs or an extra bonus for fans.
hobbes_fan is offline  
Old 2007-04-24, 04:13   Link #58
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Even if one's dislike Tessa, i really can't believe this could be considered as a bad OAV...
C'mon... Clouseaux's Fetish (and his emo reactions), Kalinin's "subtle" cooking skills, slice of life in a submarine... heh, that's quite new stuff, and insane. (Clouseaux won a large amount of points with that OAV )

and frankly, they could let us, poor fans, on the end of TSR without anything else to chew except some ternished hope for a fourth season. at least, this OAV gave some hints of new stuff that can be animated when they can.
__________________
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2007-04-24, 17:35   Link #59
ArkhanTheBlack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I like the OVA a lot, but okay since I love Tessa this was to be expected. I think wtffmp111 was the only one who didn't like it?!
ArkhanTheBlack is offline  
Old 2007-04-25, 05:38   Link #60
animeffs13240
V for Victory
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Yeah....

I never saw the OVA just yet, i want to now because I actually like Tessa. The reason why I posted in this thread is because I wanted to defend Tessa from wtffmp
__________________
animeffs13240 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.