AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-15, 22:18   Link #1
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
Gunparade March

Anyone seen it? Is it any good? Just wanted to know before I buy the dvds if it's worth it.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 22:34   Link #2
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

It was pretty good...although you shouldn't expect it to be another mecha vs. aliens type thing...it's mostly about the two main chars...

If you want you can always rent the first disc to see what it's like...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 01:21   Link #3
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
I really liked GunParade March, but Superchop is right, it is more of an interpersonal relationship series than a mecha series.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 15:38   Link #4
sperry

Hmm... would you say it's a romance, or just character-driven? Character-driven I love, but I'll stay away from it if it's just a romance with a mech backround...
Old 2003-12-17, 12:22   Link #5
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I wouldn't say it's a full romance...but kinda like a mix of romance and character driven plot...with a bit of action sprinkled on top ^_^

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 17:18   Link #6
sperry

Thanks. I guess I'll probably check it out then.
Old 2003-12-18, 01:47   Link #7
Shift_

The closest thing I can think of that compares to it is probally Stellvia of the Universe, both revolve around two main central characters, who are involved in a war, but CHARACTER developement is VERY important, and very realistic the way the characters act and interact w/eachother.

Gunparade March surprisingly was BASED off a Life-sim video game. (yes it WAS based off a game) Unlike a Dating-sim, it is a LIFE sim wierd eh? It was released for the Psx, and is apparently still VERY VERY popular in japan.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 00:37   Link #8
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Yeah...

I'm up to Episode 9 rite now in GPM, and I think it's worth watching. The two main characters, espicially the voices, are a little lopsided; and the main character is a bit annoying, but I'm somehow enjoying it.

Spoiler:

For some reason, the mechas and aliens feel, along with the whole "life in a war-racked society" reminded me a lot of Blue Gender. Gender was alright by me, tho I wasn't particularly impressed. As everyone above correctly noted, it is about character development, not mechas (which saddened me a little) but oh well. The storyline is driving enough, and events are well-woven together so I'm not feeling lost on anything. Btw, the animation is actually quite good, thought the facial emotions were a little odd at times, and the music was very fitting to the theme.

EDIT: After finishing the series, I actually think I liked it more than I thought I would initially. The story put itself back together by the end and didn't leave any unanswered questions.

Last edited by Ambience Blue; 2004-05-23 at 19:45. Reason: Finished series
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 12:00   Link #9
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, I think this series somewhat falls short of its potential... and it has the most misleading 1st episode ever... I've seen countless people expected a kickass mecha action anime after watching 1st episode... while it turns out to be... a light highschool romance comedy kind of series...

I think one problem is that it doesn't handle the comedy and the tragedy too well so sometimes it seems the atmosphere doesn't fit... somewhat reminds me of Full Metal Panic, which also suffers from flawed integration of comedy and seriousness... so the show end up a bit inconsistent IMO...

I don't like the ending too much neither, I think it's a bit too cheesy... and cheap... I love the main character's "hide under quilt" scenes a lot though
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 13:00   Link #10
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
The closest thing I can think of that compares to it is probally Stellvia of the Universe, both revolve around two main central characters, who are involved in a war, but CHARACTER developement is VERY important, and very realistic the way the characters act and interact w/eachother.

Gunparade March surprisingly was BASED off a Life-sim video game. (yes it WAS based off a game) Unlike a Dating-sim, it is a LIFE sim wierd eh? It was released for the Psx, and is apparently still VERY VERY popular in japan.
"GunParade March," or more well-known in the abbreviated "Gun-Pare" in Japan, was a very popular game that was released by Alfa System back in September 2000.

As you said, it is a life-simulation game where you control the character, Hayami, and live a school life with 26 other students in preparing to fight against monsters called "genjuus." Your actions correlates to what your character becomes. Example: if you study hard, you become smart. If you shoplift, you become a bad person - but try not to get caught! Although the main heroine is Shibamura Mai, you can choose to "go out" with a different girl, you can go on a date with her, or if you want you can "dump" her for another one. Same holds true if you play from the role of a different character. Once you pass the game with Hayami, you can play the life-sim from the perspective of Shibamura Mai and the other characters.

This game was very interesting as it had a lot more control than what was available in Japan (and for the PS) at the time. I think the best correlation that I can think of in your gaming standards would be Sim-People.

Link to Alfa System's "GunParade March" game HP: http://www.alfasystem.net/game/gp/
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 13:10   Link #11
dreamless

I think the game and the TV series are quite different, the TV series watered down and modified the cast and the plot a lot that I think it almost qualifies as a different story. Oh and I agree that

Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-16, 13:51   Link #12
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I think the game and the TV series are quite different, the TV series watered down and modified the cast and the plot a lot that I think it almost qualifies as a different story. Oh and I agree that

Spoiler:
Actually, Mibuya is one of the weakest characters in the game, so it is very hard to keep her alive to the end. A bad strategic move can lead to a death as seen in the anime...
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 14:07   Link #13
dreamless

well I'm not complaining about her death, but how the way the show handles her death... and she dies a bit too early anyway, without much character development, if any...
Old 2004-06-16, 14:22   Link #14
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well I'm not complaining about her death, but how the way the show handles her death... and she dies a bit too early anyway, without much character development, if any...
Yeah. Mibuya was my favorite character in terms of how sympathetic her story was portrayed. After she died, I was just kinda eh... The ppl got over it too quickly.
Old 2004-06-16, 14:33   Link #15
Mr.Minou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
The ppl got over it too quickly.
like it was said somewhere else, they are at war so they cannot mourn for her too long. they have to move on.
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 21:25   Link #16
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Minou
like it was said somewhere else, they are at war so they cannot mourn for her too long. they have to move on.
My problem with it, I guess, was that the characters were like: "OMG! Mibuya died!" then 30 sec. later were their happy selves again. When Shibamaru and Hayami disappeared, everyone remained despondent for the entirety of the next 3 episodes. There was no continuity.
Old 2004-06-16, 23:07   Link #17
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
My problem with it, I guess, was that the characters were like: "OMG! Mibuya died!" then 30 sec. later were their happy selves again. When Shibamaru and Hayami disappeared, everyone remained despondent for the entirety of the next 3 episodes. There was no continuity.
But there's no conclusion as to whether Shibamura and Hayami are alive or dead, and if they're still alive at the time, will they still be when a team goes back into the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Actually, Mibuya is one of the weakest characters in the game, so it is very hard to keep her alive to the end. A bad strategic move can lead to a death as seen in the anime...
Will have to take a look. The game seems to keep its resale value well, though. It's been out for awhile, but I'm seeing used copies for 4000 yen or so, depending on condition.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 23:15   Link #18
Za Paper

I think being MIA is much harder on friends and family because there is no closure. You are conflicted by feelings of hope and despair that are much harder to overcome. So I think it wasnt totally out of place for the show to spend more time on Hayami and Shibamura's dissapearance.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 03:12   Link #19
dreamless

well, I agree that logically speaking it's understandable that they showed more angst over Hayami and Shibamura's MIA, because they feel like they are leaving two comrades alive to watch them die by the hands of the enemies doing nothing while in Mibuya's case they already done everything to save her...

However what I think problematic is how the show progressed on these issues. Mibuya had quite a slow and painful death, I think her death is almost as drawn-out as the Akemi death in Saikano, but the problem is that she never got much screen time for much character development, nor did she get much attention after her death, so why bother doing it? It feels like all the about 10 minutes of the show spent on her (of which about 7 minutes on her death) are just wasted. As she's so weakly developed, I don't feel sad about her death, except maybe the surprise factor and the fact that a cute girl died...

Speaking about which, even the other guy's death showed more after-effects, that "I want my girlfriend manual", "I want gasoline car", "it's gonna sink, besides it's too big" scene is definitely one of the better handled part of the series IMO. well I do feel sympathy for Mibuya, mostly because when she tried to confess her feelings at the very last moment, that guy just didn't understand what's going on and went "huh?"

As I said, I just think the show has a very inconsistent feel when it tries to integrate comedy and tragedy together, it's like it sets up the mood for you to feel sad, then suddenly it stops and goes to the comedy part, which makes you wonder why it sets up the sad mood in the first place. Also at times it sets up some comedy and suddenly becomes all serious, there just lacks some transition between the opposite moods, so it feels that the atmosphere jumps around from one side to the other a lot... I guess the 12 episode length is part of the reason...
Old 2006-09-10, 05:49   Link #20
martino
makes no files now

I actually enjoyed this series a lot. I thought that I wouldn't like the combination(mecha, military and romance), but it was done very well. Come to think of it, it was quite similar to Suzuka when it came to the relationship between the two main characters. Is Gunparade Orchestra any good, when it comes to romance, and how is it related???