AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-14, 16:31   Link #1
Ending

Question 5 Star Choises for a Picky Viewer

So guess it is my time to ask for something new, since I haven't been able to scope up anything worth of interest from Animenfo or anywhere else. So here is what I'm looking for, cleanly laid out:

-- YES for dark, mature series like Ghost in the Shell, Haibane Renmei, and Interlude.
-- YES for ecchish harem series like DearS, Oh! My Goddess!, and Ranma ½.
-- YES for lighthearted humour like Azumanga Daioh, Green Green, and Dragon Pink.
-- YES for hentai like Buttopi CPU and Agga Ruter. Both from Pink Pineapple, by the way.

And what I'm not looking for:

-- NO for quick, brainless action like Trigun and Naruto.
-- NO for cliché and predictable attemps like Onegai Teacher and He Is My Master.
-- -- To clarify: 15-year old high school protagonist with a wimpy attitude or a naîve girl with hidden super-powers and over-cute voice.
-- NO for slow, monolog filled series like Monster and Detective Conan.

So any ideas to add to my list? Not too easy, but I'd be happy to see and add even one new serie to my collection. Doesn't matter when it was released or what quality the video is as long as the story is good and characters interesting.
Old 2006-02-14, 18:39   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Trigun is not brainless, damn you! How dare you lump it with Naruto!

Anyways...
For lighthearted (insane, rather) humor check out Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu. Much funnier than trash like Green Green.

For your mature series, maybe check out Hachimitsu to Clover. It's not dark but more slice of life, semi-romantic comedy. Also, you might try Kino no Tabi ~the Beautiful World~

For ecchi and humor, try Iketeru Futari. It's hilarious.
Old 2006-02-14, 18:44   Link #3
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Trigun is not brainless, damn you! How dare you lump it with Naruto!
Yeah, not really sure how he ended up at that conclusion. Trigun rocks, and is nothing like Naruto.
Old 2006-02-14, 18:54   Link #4
stretch87
Anime Addict

I'm not at home so i can't check the anime cataloge that i created, but lets see what i can come up with. I'll start with the obvious ones that you've probably seen:

Serial Experiments Lain - many people need to take notes in order to obtain a sufficient understanding of this anime
Elfen Lied - this falls in both your YES and NO list

Less popular titles that you might like:

Wolf's rain - i don't think many people know about this series. i've only watched the first 10 episodes but i like it so far mainly because of its uniqueness
***Beck*** - this is my favourite anime. after watching this series i started reading the manga and listening to rock, both of which i had never previously done. If you check out any of my recommendations make it this one. (FYI, this has nothing to do with the wester singer Beck, so don't let the title discourage you)
Samurai Champloo - by far the best samurai themed anime to date
Gunslinger Girl - don't judge this anime by its cover or title

GITS is on my top three list, anlong with Beck and Samurai Champloo, so hopefully you'll enjoy what i liked
Old 2006-02-14, 21:01   Link #5
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
I watched all of Wolf's Rain...it's actually pretty good and i think it fits in with ur first option in ur YES list...Yoko Kanno is the music composer...Samurai Champloo is also good, it's like Cowboy Bebop in a way but just a couple of centuries back...
Personally I would recommend Trinity Blood for dark, mature series...fopr ecchish harem, i would pribably recommend Mahou Sensei Negima, not sure tho cuz i only stick to the manga...and also the GoldenBoy OVA series is good, if u want some laughter and ecchiness...and also the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (Samurai X) are good....

I never bothered to make another sig... haha -""_ -
Old 2006-02-14, 23:31   Link #6
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Berserk
Gungrave
Elfen lied
Vandread
Gigamesh
Scryed
Texnholyze
Chrono Crusade

info found at www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/
Old 2006-02-15, 04:50   Link #7
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'd suggest Zettai Shonen. The opening theme is a bit odd (though so is the entire show), but it covers alot of interesting issues--there's certainly a mysterious and surreal feel to the entire show. If Haibane Renmei wasn't too slow, I think think it will be either. It's one of the best lesser known series I've seen to date.
Old 2006-02-15, 05:06   Link #8
GokuJunior

Send a message via MSN to GokuJunior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
-- YES for dark, mature series like Ghost in the Shell, Haibane Renmei, and Interlude.
-- YES for ecchish harem series like DearS, Oh! My Goddess!, and Ranma ½.
-- YES for lighthearted humour like Azumanga Daioh, Green Green, and Dragon Pink.
-- YES for hentai like Buttopi CPU and Agga Ruter. Both from Pink Pineapple, by the way.

-- NO for quick, brainless action like Trigun and Naruto.
-- NO for cliché and predictable attemps like Onegai Teacher and He Is My Master.
-- -- To clarify: 15-year old high school protagonist with a wimpy attitude or a naîve girl with hidden super-powers and over-cute voice.
-- NO for slow, monolog filled series like Monster and Detective Conan.
I don't know why no one else said it yet but when I finished read your post only one anime came immediately to my mind: FULL METAL PANIC? FUMOFFU
It's completely equal to what you're looking for You could almost say "Can anybody tell me where to download FMP? Fumoffu" lol
Old 2006-02-15, 06:06   Link #9
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokuJunior
I don't know why no one else said it yet but when I finished read your post only one anime came immediately to my mind: FULL METAL PANIC? FUMOFFU
It's completely equal to what you're looking for You could almost say "Can anybody tell me where to download FMP? Fumoffu" lol

I take it you just finished watching Fumoffu? Or it's one of the three anime you've seen? Because I honestly can't see where you're getting that.
Old 2006-02-15, 11:17   Link #10
Ending

The "MAYBE" list:
-- Iketeru Futari. Have to try it, although the description on Animenfo mentioned "huge jiggly breasts." Already warns of bad taste...
-- Kino no Tabi. The character looks a lot like a regular 15-year old cliché, but what the hell.
-- Elfen Lied. Have heard much of this, but I'm not sure if there is some story behind the gore, but guess it deserves a go.
-- Gunslinger Girl. It just might be what I'm looking for, but I remember reading this one review that claimed it revelled a bit too much in angst...
-- Gilgamesh. Been looking for this one for a while, actually, but haven't yet got my hands on it yet.
-- Wolf's rain. Been avoiding this one due of the reviews, if you read them closely, but guess I could survive from a chapter or two.
-- Scryed. The description on Animenfo sounds promising. Hope this is available.
-- Zettai Shonen. Sounds almost too boring, but since there are some fantasy elements...

The "NO" list:
-- Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu. Didn't really like it; the humour simply didn't strike a chord with me like Azumanga Daioh did.
-- Hachimitsu to Clover. Forgot to mention: I absolutely hate syrup-sweet romances.
-- Samurai Champloo. Brainless action. 'nuff said.
-- Samurai X. See above.
-- Gungrave. See above.
-- Berserk. See above. And too much teen angst.
-- Trinity Blood. See above. Spiced with religion and poor story.
-- GoldenBoy OVA. Read the manga and it was nothing special.
-- Texnholyze. Loved Haibane Renmei, but Texnholyze is simply too psychedelic.
-- Chrono Crusade. Might be wrong, but IIRC; it does not go under any of the YES categories.
-- Beck. Another thing I forgot to mention: I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and fantasy. A story about regular, no-comment people just isn't for me. Even Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou had a protagonist that was a robot.
-- Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. No coherent story, so it couldn't keep my interest up after three episodes.
Old 2006-02-15, 11:38   Link #11
Imazul

Get some good old Gundam serie (excluding crap like Wing, X and Seed) I highly suggest Victory Gundam.

hmmmmm Scryed is probably one of the worst power anime out there, not worth a watch. (sorry had to say it)

I suggest The Twelve Kingdom(12 Kokuki), its actually pretty good when you pass the first episodes. Or you could try Nadesico with humor, paraody, action, emotion, weird girl, its pretty good.
Last pick would be Photon or Slayers or any older stuff.
Old 2006-02-15, 12:09   Link #12
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Trigun is not a brainless action and I have watched only a few episodes of Samurai Champloo but it also does not look to be falling into this category. But whatever rocks your boat...

Anyway, Gunsligner Girl doesn't have too much angst, IMHO, but you could say that it's a slowly paces series which in a way ends in the middle of the story. It's great though, the atmosphere is brilliantly created, the characters are interesting and the rare action scenes are spectacular.

Wolf's Rain's plot development isn't exactly quick so I would guess that if you try only the first episodes you will probably end up being disappointed. But like Gunslinger Girl it's quite different from the mainstream series and less cliche ridden, so you might give it a try.
Old 2006-02-15, 13:32   Link #13
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Hachimitsu to Clover. Forgot to mention: I absolutely hate syrup-sweet romances.
There's nothing syrupy sweet about it... ask anyone. But, whatever, you seem to have a unique outlook on things.
Old 2006-02-15, 14:25   Link #14
Ending

^ Thanks, I try my best to stay unique, keeping all the colours the grey mass seems to miss.

NO
-- Twelve Kingdom. Already seen it, like most of the others. Girl with secret super powers and huge mechs. Eh...
-- Any Gundam serie. Seen enough.

Oh, and the plot development doesn't need to be anything radical; just that every episode carries forward more than nudges. 100 eps of fillers is just plain annoying since it means that I need to cut off 100 eps from diverting from the main-story.
Old 2006-02-15, 17:31   Link #15
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
oh btw...Elfen Lied does have a lot more story to it than just mindless gore...
i definitely do not recommend S~cry~ed, it was just pointless fighting and the ending just sucked...no sense of satisfaction out of watching it, just a waste of time....Samurai Champloo is better...
Wolf's Rain- well if u like wolves, u'll like the story even more...
Trinity Blood- oh well, i thought the story was awesome but i do like to study religions and religious based stories...
Samurai X was good...

I never bothered to make another sig... haha -""_ -
Old 2006-02-15, 17:38   Link #16
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Are you sure with Gungrave, its very dark, and mature. The characters are very powerfull in this show.
Old 2006-02-15, 17:49   Link #17
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
NO
-- Twelve Kingdom. Already seen it, like most of the others. Girl with secret super powers and huge mechs. Eh...
Omg! You're just making things up now aren't you? There isn't a single mech in The Twelve Kingdoms.
Old 2006-02-15, 17:55   Link #18
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Omg! You're just making things up now aren't you? There isn't a single mech in The Twelve Kingdoms.
Second that. Unless he means Kirin but those are not mechs. They are divine beings.
Old 2006-02-15, 18:13   Link #19
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
KASHIMASHI!!
Fits into the light hearted humor and harem (well kinda...) parts of your yes anime. (Note stick with the first episode, it gets a lot better with episode 2).
Old 2006-02-15, 19:32   Link #20
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Second that. Unless he means Kirin but those are not mechs. They are divine beings.
Yeah right, like anybody could mix up a unicorn (wich looks human most of the time) with a god damn mecha.
Closed Thread