AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-16, 14:30   Link #161
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
As for the ending, i have this little feeling that Hiro knew that was Karada & Shouko, he just didn't want to believe it.
Oh, he definitely recognized them. I don't know that it's a case of him not believing it so much as his brain didn't know how to process it. I mean, it's not the sort of thing you see every day.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 15:01   Link #162
Vulcannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I agree somewhat, though, I do think the "slip" was intentional. We know it was intentional when Shouko talked to him on the bridge as she blasted her accusation of if he left her because of Karada. The conversation was an indicator to why Shoukou took a cheap shot in that mean compliment to Karada, i.e. jealousy and resentment. Shoukou is a very interesting character to look out for who is more than likely to be responsible for pushing that drama button often enough.
Well, I agree that it was intentional in that she chose those words to hurt Karada. But I don't think it was a premeditated, calculated attack. All day she had been seeing reminders not only of why Hiro abandonded her, but of things (like the lunch Karada made, he buying her cute trinkets, etc.) that she had wanted but were missing from their relationship. When Karada came up to show Shouko the bows, Shouko simply got overwhelmed and let slip the insult before she could catch herself. Really, that whole day must have been nothing but torture for Shouko. I don't think Shouko will be causing drama too often... but when she does it'll be pretty darn good.

Was young Shouko really looking for some cigarettes near the end of the second ep.? I guess it's realistic way to show her being stressed, but... bleah.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 16:49   Link #163
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I didn't see any indication that Hiro recognized them. I mean, it would be a pretty hard thing to process. And I think Shouko's barbed comment to Karada in ep1 was the kind of moment of weakness that makes her seem full and real. Not premediated, but not uninentional.

I've just added Shouko's seiyuu, Itou Shizuka, to the hashihime seiyuu gallery. Reading her entry in Japanese Wikipedia, she sounds like quite an individual. She gives her interests as drinking, scuba-diving, and games and anime. Here are some other things I gleaned:
Spoiler for things from ja.wikipedia.org about Shizuka Itou:
These kinds of details give you an idea of the world of Japanese seiyuu fandom. I can't really vouch for the accuracy of everything there.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 17:03   Link #164
Cal-Reflector

I also do not think that Hiro recognized the two, though it is purely an impression. I've read the episode preview for episode three on the Japanese official website, where it mentioned something about Shouko passing her new self off as Shouko's younger sister... perhaps that is what gave me the notion that her identity will remain hidden for a while longer.

I think now the show really begins, up till this point have been the setting of the premise and the aftershock thereof: The interactions between the characters and their development will decide whether this show really lives up to its great start and reception (amongst us forumers, at least).

I hope things will begin to pick up in order for us to better evalute this show.
Old 2006-10-16, 17:59   Link #165
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
its turning out really nice so far...
ep2 shows the aftermath of wht happened pretty well...i love the slow pace but not boring style of this series
karada had a slight nervous breakdown...but who wouldnt? shouko kept her cool pretty well tho ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 18:40   Link #166
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I didn't see any indication that Hiro recognized them. I mean, it would be a pretty hard thing to process.
Agreed,

Its actually very natural for him not to notice, imo.
When you see something which clashes with your perception of reality, it causes a cognitive dissonance which makes your mind apt to discard inputs which would cause it stress.

He does not believe its possible for people to change age and size like that so suddenly, so he would be hard pressed to notice even obvious clues as to their identity, because his mind would be hiding the clues from him.

(Its the double edge sword of pattern recognition: the necessary job of discarding irrelevant data is sometimes detremental)

I think it would have taken exceptional powers of observation and an extremely open mind for him to have noticed their identities.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 19:58   Link #167
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
I don't think I've ever watched an anime that uses BGM which depends on a single instrument
Piano BGM is pretty common in anime, actually.....

About Episode 2

Jeez I love the music, I wonder if the composer has been listening to Thomas Newman recently because certain bgm pieces just echoed his style really well.....

2nd ep was slow-paced, but that didn't harm the episode. This looks like it might end up being my favourite show of the season (well, not much competition in my opinion), and I'm interested in how it'll progress, because unlike certain other ongoing anime I can't really figure out what exactly will happen.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:00   Link #168
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 2 was very nicely done the constast of the ages vs. the emtional response was great. Watching Shouko take charge in that little body trying to comfort Karada was nice to watch.

Karada had the right reaction yes she wanted to be an adult but that doesnt mean her mentality has changed and this must be terriblly shocking to her. Not to mention the shock of really getting your wish granted. I think Shouko is dealing with the situation better than Karada right now because of her age being an adult for real and the fact that she is not focusing on her self at the moment. The transformation must be just as shocking to her but shes not letting her emotions show probaley for the sake of Karada.

Shouko not answering the phone was a little hard to watch considering how upset Hiro-Nii is. I mean what the hell do you say this is not something that can be said casually in passing. espcially because of circumstances involved. we know now why she made that wish Karada feels like she is burden and wanted to set her brother free. She is really is caring little girl and wants to pull her weight but somewhere along the road shes gotten the idea that taking care of her is forcing her brother to sacrifice his life. So i do agree with the decision not answer the phone the first night.

The music playing in the backround when Hiro saw Shouko and Karada was fantastic. When all 3 pair of eyes meet you think here we go how is he going to react then he says excuss me and runs away. That scene hurt me so much i felt so bad for Karada and Shouko. But its not surprising he didnt recognize them how could he? When your brain percieves something that is impossible to protect your brain from an overload or stess there is mechnisim that almost reboots your brain to help one better deal with situations. They say perception is reality well in this case Hiro sense of perception and reality clashed causing a system reboot to keep him from freakin the hell out. Also think how the brain process information from eye, Hiro has information about Karada and Shouko stored in his brain this is how he reconizes them when he sees them. However they have changed and not by a little the visual image that Hiro sees then does not match with data he has stored in his memory for the girls which could cause stress or even an aneurysm so the brain protects its self that way as well, there are many diffrent ways at looking at this sitauation. Asatte has great technique for introducing great music at the right moment. Another beautiful scene was with the 2 girls on the balcony looking over the town nestled between the hills the scenery was gorgeous but the music amplified the effect of it.

Next episode i guess well see how Shouko is dealing with her new life. For somer reason i have take quite a liking to Shouko not really sure why. I think im empathetic towards her since Hiro did disappear without telling her.

Anyone by chance know the name of the Piano sonata playing in the back round at the wishing shrine scene?

Last edited by Sinestra; 2006-10-16 at 21:11.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:07   Link #169
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Anyone by chance know the name of the Piano sonata playing in the back round at the wishing shrine scene?
There's no OST released yet, or even a date for the release, sorry. :3
Old 2006-10-16, 22:10   Link #170
Guido

Asatte no Houkou. Wishing Stone

It wouldn't surprise me if Asatte no Houkou becomes highly voted for best drama of the fall season.

It's cast and environment are highly commendable for the appeal and richness of the plot, keeping the comedy and fantasy elements to a margin or not used as an end in itself. By judging the drama and friendly mood of its tone, I see that the dramatization won't be overreacted at all.

I have a deep fondness for drama stories taking place in the countryside free from the monotony of the big cities. It both enthralls and mesmerizes me settings at small, isolated towns surrounded by the beauty of nature's wonders.

I also commend the direction for making the transformation scene as a natural, ephimerous transition free from overstylized fantasy elements. I mean that both Shouko's and Karada's physical aging metamorphosis came from one moment to the next not involving something supernatural working on them physically and explicitly, like both being engulfed in a stream of magical light and shown the transformation happening.

My only complain would be that the opening sequence spoils Shouko and Karada's change, which would have been for the best to start playing from episode two.

What we have:
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 23:25   Link #171
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Piano BGM is pretty common in anime, actually.....
Excuse me for not prashing it correctly, I meant that ALL of the BGM in the anime depend on a single instrument. (all of episode 2 I only heard the piano which I find really cool)

And yeah, young Shouko wanted to smoke... better than drinking, I guess.
Old 2006-10-17, 13:58   Link #172
Nvis
Grumpy Senior

For clarity, Amino-kun and Karada-chan are the same age??!!!

What's with the age(appearance)/height difference?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 14:06   Link #173
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
For clarity, Amino-kun and Karada-chan are the same age??!!!
Yes.

Quote:
What's with the age(appearance)/height difference?
Karada is small for her age, while Amino is big for his age...that's it in a nutshell. Amino's size/appearance was mentioned by his sister back in episode 1, where she said he may appear to be big (re: look mature), but he's still a kid.
[14:22] <~lucifer> Dark` has to stay around to QC Genshiken s2
[14:22] <~lucifer> since you guys won't
[14:22] <~lucifer> So he gets the blessing of "Least Faggoty".
[14:22] <@Dark`> =D
[14:22] <~lucifer> Then after I finish Genshiken S2 dvd rips, he's free game.
[14:22] <~lucifer> (Read: Canada's getting blown up.)
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 15:28   Link #174
Vulcannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark` View Post
Karada is small for her age, while Amino is big for his age...that's it in a nutshell. Amino's size/appearance was mentioned by his sister back in episode 1, where she said he may appear to be big (re: look mature), but he's still a kid.
I think this is the only mistep the show has taken so far... unless it becomes a point for the story sometime later, it just seems like an unnecessary distraction. They should have just picked one extreme or the other, or better yet not bothered. Of course they could always turn it into something, the conversation between Karada and Tetsuya after she ran away from Shouko could be a starting point for that. Here's hoping they handle it with the care they seem to be taking with everything else. Viva the slow pacing.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:12   Link #175
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Excuse me for not prashing it correctly, I meant that ALL of the BGM in the anime depend on a single instrument. (all of episode 2 I only heard the piano which I find really cool)

And yeah, young Shouko wanted to smoke... better than drinking, I guess.
Thats debatable I dont know which would have freaked me out more seeing chibi Shouko smoke or taking in a shot of jack
Old 2006-10-17, 16:23   Link #176
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
(all of episode 2 I only heard the piano which I find really cool)
Ah, I see. THat's true, except for the BGM at 4:20, which starts off with an electric piano then adds synths, then marimba/vibes & bass, etc, but mostly you're right

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 16:45   Link #177
wingnut2292
Go Get'em Tigers!

Send a message via AIM to wingnut2292
Cool Asatte no Houkou Ep 2. thoughts and furture predictions.

Kobanwa, mina! (Good Evening, everyone!) Asatte no Houkou was so good it made this Lurker come out of the woodwork and post for the first time!

Wow! The pace is slow, but refreshing. The music score is outstanding! It's a lot better than ... well, most recent anime. I liked the small details of Ep. 2 . Shouko-ko (child) running out of tobacco, being so short that the mirror barely shows your reflection, having to use Karada-ko's clothes to go out in public.

I agree the Hiro-nii didn't recognize Shouko-ko and Karada-seijin (adult). As Shouko-ko said, How could he? To 99.9% of the blue Earth's population, Magic dosen't exist. So how could this girl and this woman be Hiro's sister and ex-girlfriend? The Japanese are over polite to a fault, so when Hiro found (in his mind) he was interrupting 2 strangers making wishes at the shrine, he offered a quick apogee and ran off so as not to burned the strangers with his problems.

There's little way to prove that Karada-seijin is Karada-ko. Even DNA changes slightly between decades. The only definitive way is by fingerprins, which while are accurate, would be the wrong size. Answering questions form Hiro would only prove that Karada-seijin is a stalker or just lucky. Even _if_ Hiro believed, there's no way Karada-seijin prove that she is Karada-ko to the school or state.

Since Karada-seijin can't go home, Karada and Shouko-ko will prob. stay @ Shouko's place. Shouko-ko will pass her self off as Shouko's sister (prob. taking another name in the process) and Karada-seijin would be Shouko-seijin's roommate (taking another name in the process).

Some predictions of things to come:

a) Shouko is a smoker. Since Shouko hans't shown any desire to quit, Shouko is going to get cravings for tobacco. Meaning Karada-seijin is going to buy them for Shouko-ko. Which could lead to Karada-seijin trying them. If Karada-seijin does smoke, that would further distance any correlation to Karada-ko.

b) The very opening graphic of the Lunar fansub shows Shouko-ko in a blue & white outfit. It looks a lot like a school uniform. Since I don't think Shouko's about to enroll herself back into school, I think a truancy officer is going to catcher and force the matter.

c) Karada-seijin is going to need to get a job. Considering her excellent cooking abilities, I think that she may get a job where the Amino's work. Even w/o paperwork.

I hope I've used the right Japanese phrases, I did research online, but my command of the Japanese language is limited to the common phrases mentioned in anime. Well, I've got to go to my Role-Playing club. I'll talk to you all latter this night. Ja!
wingnut2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 17:05   Link #178
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Thats debatable I dont know which would have freaked me out more seeing chibi Shouko smoke or taking in a shot of jack
None would have freaked me out. Now I don't smoke but I if I end up in such a situation one of my first reactions could well be to get really, really drunk. At the moment Shouko was having way too big of a problem to care much about a possible lung cancer because of smoking or liver troubles because of drinking alcohol.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 17:21   Link #179
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2292 View Post
I hope I've used the right Japanese phrases,
The official website seems to use:
Shouko(kodomo) and Karada(otona)

Quote:
Even DNA changes slightly between decades.
I don't think they'll get to that point, but, excluding cancer, your dna should never change.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 17:32   Link #180
Vulcannis

Quote:
Kobanwa, mina! (Good Evening, everyone!) Asatte no Houkou was so good it made this Lurker come out of the woodwork and post for the first time!
Welcome! I know what you mean, though I technically wasn't a lurker the amount I've posted about this show blows my previous pace out of the water. I'm curious if/when the thread really gets busy, like say Bokura ga Ita.
Quote:
Wow! The pace is slow, but refreshing. The music score is outstanding! It's a lot better than ... well, most recent anime. I liked the small details of Ep. 2 . Shouko-ko (child) running out of tobacco, being so short that the mirror barely shows your reflection, having to use Karada-ko's clothes to go out in public.
Aye, I loved how they lingered on things like Shouko peeking over the sink or how she got frustrated reaching for her glasses in the morning. They really bring the character to life.
Quote:
There's little way to prove that Karada-seijin is Karada-ko. Even DNA changes slightly between decades. The only definitive way is by fingerprins, which while are accurate, would be the wrong size. Answering questions form Hiro would only prove that Karada-seijin is a stalker or just lucky. Even _if_ Hiro believed, there's no way Karada-seijin prove that she is Karada-ko to the school or state.
I doubt they'll need to go that far... I'm sure with enough secrets/things only they should know that Hiro will believe them. What I'm really curious about is how far into the show before, or even if, they try it... Though for some reason the idea of them trying to pass off as other people (like Shouko as Shouko's imouto or somesuch) makes me uneasy.
Quote:
a) Shouko is a smoker. Since Shouko hans't shown any desire to quit, Shouko is going to get cravings for tobacco. Meaning Karada-seijin is going to buy them for Shouko-ko. Which could lead to Karada-seijin trying them. If Karada-seijin does smoke, that would further distance any correlation to Karada-ko.
It would be odd to focus time on such matters, but given the deliberately slow pace it's a possibility. I doubt Hiro would care too much about Karada smoking though, given smoking rates in Japan and all. And it would be a pretty minor detail compared to her simply aging a decade. IOW with whether he believes or not I doubt smoking would make a difference. Maybe in Shouko's case though.
Quote:
b) The very opening graphic of the Lunar fansub shows Shouko-ko in a blue & white outfit. It looks a lot like a school uniform. Since I don't think Shouko's about to enroll herself back into school, I think a truancy officer is going to catcher and force the matter.
That's certainly a good explanation but I think a more likely one is she just gets some of Karada's clothes, which may include the sailor uniform she had in ep. 2. Though I can't remember what she was wearing in Lunar's picture, so it might be something else entirely. Also, the picture might just be that, a nice picture with no relation to the plot.
Quote:
c) Karada-seijin is going to need to get a job. Considering her excellent cooking abilities, I think that she may get a job where the Amino's work. Even w/o paperwork.
Now THAT would be interesting, but I can't see Karada pulling it off without the truth coming out pretty quick. And they've also tasted her cooking.

BTW, I still have to open the ANN page to keep all the names straight.

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural