AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-26, 02:16   Link #41
twh
Something or other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35
Sergay: MATERIALIZE!!

(S.W. Connected to N.D.A.)
(ROBE - NORTH HOUND)
(Element - Jackel and Joshua) <---Hellsing reference ^^ v

(Element Expansion - Twin Harkonnels - The Vladimir Salvo - Start in III...II...I...Zero)

Sergay: I'm the NEW Blue Ranger! Ver. 5.2 K(ick) A(ss) series.
...I hate to say this, but as contradictory as the whole title thing is... I think that'd actually be pretty darn cool.

Sergei? Even more Bad-Ass than he already is? ...it boggles the mind.
Old 2006-02-27, 14:33   Link #42
WhereAmI
Ecchi Otaku

Location: Inside your head, I'm a figment of your imagination
I'd rather not see the skirt materialize on a guy

Now can someone tell me how to get there ???
Old 2006-02-27, 15:06   Link #43
PwrSerge
It's good to be evil...

It will probably be something flowy with a Sehiroph (sp?) theme. Besides, sometimes there's a lot the be said for the direct (read MALE) approach. Why bother with the entire sappy "emotion" angle when you have people running around capable of vaporizing small cities?

SERGE's first rule of anime combat.
"If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't, shoot it 'till it does!"

SERGE
Old 2006-02-28, 06:23   Link #44
YoureMyHiro
The One Hit Wonder

Send a message via AIM to YoureMyHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAmI
I'd rather not see the skirt materialize on a guy
For real. If there were Dudes materializing then it would be a shoujo series, it would be like Gravitation with super heroes. Weak sauce.
Old 2006-02-28, 11:58   Link #45
Guido

Because that otaku -ish backstore that especializes on selling Otome merchandise surely would go bankrupt.

Guys are socially stigmatized to be cool in the Mai-Otome world.
Old 2006-02-28, 22:08   Link #46
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Because guys wouldn't know how to use their powers without making a huge scene of it or waging a war. (LOL) All they'd want to do is kill, like Dragon Ball Z characters or any other anime in which there is absolutely nothing but violence in it, and the creators use their "plot" just to up the violence.

No offense to any guys here, but that's just how a lot, if not most anime guys in action anime are portrayed, as hostile human beings with a big ego. Besides, it'd mess up any of the hot shoujo ai love triangles that sunrise or fan ficers could be concaucting. Mai Hime and Mai Otome both attracted a wide spread audience, without the use of guys being Otomes. I'd say it'd mess up the plot (which is ok now) and everything would go downhill if sunrise decided to use guys as Otomes.

It's thrilling to find an anime that's really addictive to all audiences where the main character is a girl. Then that means most viewers don't watch anime just for gore and to see guys fight over who's bitch is theirs in repetitive love triangles. THANK Sunrise, for respecting women and seeing them as human beings with brains and feelings!
Old 2006-02-28, 22:37   Link #47
PwrSerge
It's good to be evil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
THANK Sunrise, for respecting women and seeing them as human beings with brains and feelings!
I'll pass on that one, thanks. Have you SEEN Otome / GS? Not exactly what I would call modern feminism. But anyway, we seem to be ignoring that fact that we DO have a man with power in the show. Rado, is practicaly Vader. We hardly ever see him fight, but he managed to go toe to toe with both Rena AND Shizuru. It goes to show you that there is no reason why powerfull male supporting roles need to dominate a show.

SERGE
Old 2006-03-01, 09:19   Link #48
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrSerge
I'll pass on that one, thanks. Have you SEEN Otome / GS? Not exactly what I would call modern feminism. But anyway, we seem to be ignoring that fact that we DO have a man with power in the show. Rado, is practicaly Vader. We hardly ever see him fight, but he managed to go toe to toe with both Rena AND Shizuru. It goes to show you that there is no reason why powerfull male supporting roles need to dominate a show.

SERGE
There is Nagi, if that's the man you're talking about. But then again, he's just a power hungry brat who wants to rule over everything as possible. I doubt he knows what he's doing, like most leaders of countries in real life. Besides, this show would become the center of pointless action featuring brawny guys beating the living daylights out of each other for no logical reasons. We don't need more DBZ, thanks very much.
Old 2006-03-01, 09:46   Link #49
Mephisto2k
anime4life

You can easyly see why only girls are otome as far as storywriting is concerned. Just look at what we got. An girl-only-school with lots of cute girls who are all virgins and wear maidcostumes + lots of yuri and fanservice....
Thats all behind the idea of why only girls can become otome.

The thing with those Y-chromosomes is just a bad developed story excuse. They could just wear condoms as for the virginity wtf thing.
Old 2006-03-01, 21:49   Link #50
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto2k
You can easyly see why only girls are otome as far as storywriting is concerned. Just look at what we got. An girl-only-school with lots of cute girls who are all virgins and wear maidcostumes + lots of yuri and fanservice....
Thats all behind the idea of why only girls can become otome.

The thing with those Y-chromosomes is just a bad developed story excuse. They could just wear condoms as for the virginity wtf thing.
Without the all girls' school and fanservice, most of the audience we have now wouldn't be watching the show. If guys trued to materizalize, they'd shove Shizuru or any other Otome away and tell them to step aside because materalizing would become "a man's job."
Old 2006-03-01, 22:02   Link #51
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I don't think so... If I could materialize (in the cool Sergay way ) I'd love to have a female Otome with me.
Tag Team.
But really, my pet peeve is that all the Otome Masters can't fight worth crap on their own. If I had an Otome and her life was bounded to mine, I'd make damn sure I could fight as well as I possibly could. I suppose it's my male pride talking here but I can't see myself telling/ordering a woman to go fight on my behalf like that. If she wants to fight for my sake, that's something else but I wouldn't allow it if it's the 'because I'm the Master and she's the Otome' bit.
If I feel strongly enough about something, I'll do it myself, whether or not I have help - I won't tell anyone else to do something that I won't do myself.
Old 2006-03-01, 23:16   Link #52
Pleroma

Actually a male/female Otome dynamic would be pretty interesting. Considering how powerful the robes are I doubt the power difference between males and females would be noticeable beyond their own skills. What would most likely happen is Garderobe would continue as it is and training their otomes as more of a political influence force while a separate male-otome institution would train its own members for more active involvement in the security of nations as well as its own political agenda.

Heh, the Aes-Sedai/Ashaman situation from the Wheel of Time books comes to mind.
Old 2006-03-01, 23:23   Link #53
Akuma-sama
Purr, good kitty...

Must... resist... fanfic... idea... >_<
Old 2006-03-02, 03:56   Link #54
Lost

Thats a very good idea... a Otome Male/Female pair, throw in a budding romance.. *swoons* Hmm... Tate/Mai? I KNOW!! Takumi/Akira! But Takumi's heart.... maybe nano-machines will fixed that

Well, the Aes-Sedai/Ashaman situation would make them enemies!! Both having conflicting agendas.. Hmm.. that would be interesting.. But there must still be a romance!!
Old 2006-03-02, 04:44   Link #55
Mirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuongfantasy
You knows, it would be cool if males can become a otome. So what do you think?
Because the majority of anime watchers are male and the producers want to make money.

Attempted "logical" explanations have been given already.
Old 2006-03-02, 06:51   Link #56
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Thats a very good idea... a Otome Male/Female pair, throw in a budding romance.. *swoons* Hmm... Tate/Mai? I KNOW!! Takumi/Akira! But Takumi's heart.... maybe nano-machines will fixed that

Well, the Aes-Sedai/Ashaman situation would make them enemies!! Both having conflicting agendas.. Hmm.. that would be interesting.. But there must still be a romance!!
Nah, Takumi's not much of a fighter by any stretch...^^; Leave that up to Akira and Mai to keep him protected. It's not like anything short of a nuke is gonna hurt him with those two around anyway...

AshaOtome Sergay - The North Hound...
AshaOtome Reito - The Black Death... Either that or Sergay would have trained his own men up to a battle skill level on par with the Otome - The Pack.

Heehh, if that was the case, Natsuki and Sergay WOULD have something to be pissed off about with each other. ^^
Old 2006-03-02, 07:58   Link #57
ging-inc

if you listen very carefully in the last eps of mai otome you will hear sergei call the pearl otome that came to see him ****-kun.
According to wiki -kun is generally only used when talking to males...... however the text included belows does state that girls can be called -kun in rare circumstances.

-Kun is an informal and intimate honorific primarily used by superiors in addressing inferiors, or by males of roughly the same age and status in addressing each other. In some circumstances, young women may also be addressed as -kun, but almost exclusively in business settings by older male superiors. Schoolteachers typically address male students using -kun, while female students are addressed as -san. -Kun is also used among friends of similar social standing, and by parents and relatives to address older male children (instead of -chan)
Old 2006-03-02, 08:01   Link #58
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ging-inc
if you listen very carefully in the last eps of mai otome you will hear sergei call the pearl otome that came to see him ****-kun.
According to wiki -kun is generally only used when talking to males...... however the text included belows does state that girls can be called -kun in rare circumstances.

-Kun is an informal and intimate honorific primarily used by superiors in addressing inferiors, or by males of roughly the same age and status in addressing each other. In some circumstances, young women may also be addressed as -kun, but almost exclusively in business settings by older male superiors. Schoolteachers typically address male students using -kun, while female students are addressed as -san. -Kun is also used among friends of similar social standing, and by parents and relatives to address older male children (instead of -chan)
Well, watch School Rumble. The -kun is used alot with girls by males. Though technically you have answered your own inquiry.
Old 2006-03-02, 08:14   Link #59
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35
Nah, Takumi's not much of a fighter by any stretch...^^; Leave that up to Akira and Mai to keep him protected. It's not like anything short of a nuke is gonna hurt him with those two around anyway...
True True. Somehow I dun think a nuke will hurt him either. One lucky guy, him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ging-inc

So you saying its a possibility he was calling a male? I haven't watched 20 yet. Boy that would throw everything off. But its very unlikely isn't it? I mean, read all the posts here so far: There are plenty of reasons why Sunrise meant otomes to be female. And to me the concept of a male Otome is just wrong.. somehow the image of a cross-dresser comes to mind.

So the question is would Sunrise be that daring? Considering that they
Spoiler:
we just never know...
Old 2006-03-02, 16:27   Link #60
Guido

There's actually a marginal scenario for a boy to be instated as an otome.

I actually found it hard to believe for myself the first time I read about this thread, however, several weeks later I stumbled across an interesting article that prompted me to make a thorough research.

A boy could become by eligible and technical context an otome, if he suffers the de la Chapelle syndrome from birth.

Inversely, a girl who was diagnosed with Swyer syndrome from birth in no way, because of her karyotype make-up, would ever be eligible to become an Otome.
Closed Thread