AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: My-Otome Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 16 11.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 20.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 31.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 21.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 8.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.48%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-02-26, 21:39   Link #101
Sakuya
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United States
Age: 26
Thanks for the comparisons! Were there any for the first DVD? And off topic: Any for Mai HiME?
Sakuya is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 21:49   Link #102
Diodati
The very united ACROSS
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen
I am saying she took the easy way out without finding out if there is really a chance for her... It's not like she was actually rejected or anything, she never truly let her feelings be known verbally. Fighting for someone's love is much harder than just locking her up and treating her like a pet-animal.
Are we even totally sure Tomoe *isn't* going to continue trying to help Shizuru. I'm still not convinced Tomoe has locked Shizuru in there for her own purpose but simply as that is the best deal Tomoe got from Nagi. I find it hard to believe that Nagi would give ''Shizuru'' as a reward to Tomoe joining up as an Otome. ''Giving Shizuru her own room where she can walk around without handcuffs'' - yeah that would probably be a sizeable reward - and it's what Tomoe was determined to do last episode. Tomoe is in no position to make any larger demands, she may not even be loyal having done no missions etc.

Her conversation with Shizuru, if anything, seemed to imply she was going to go on them/continue on doing that for Shizuru. If everyone else thinks it's covering a blackmail in there then that's fine - maybe I'm far too sympathetic to the green meanie, but if Shizuru does become a love-pet like everyone thinks she is, then I'm not totally sure Tomoe has that in her head right now. At least we'll now the true motivations next episode, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifhaseth
Most series have a lead animator (in this case Hirokazu Hisayuki) who's in charge of the overall appearance of the series, but the actual scenes are usually drawn by other artists, each with their own styles, which is why the animation goes through "stages" of good and bad.

Although it seems like they went back in the DVD releases and "fixed" some of the more apparent problems that they let slide in the TV version.
Heh, that's actually quite scary.
Diodati is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 21:50   Link #103
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Everyone knows where Windbloom is while the whereabouts of the Aswad village is apparently a secret and I already complained at lenghts about that so the conclusion would be that two wrongs don't make it right. But I had actually forgotten that the king of that country had made a deal with Aswad, so that would be a somewhat plausible explanation, although it sure shows Midori and gang as being quite careless, being followed to their village.
Just watched the sub.

Now, at the beginning of the episode (and the end of last episode), one of the cyborgs said that they received a letter from Carlteya (Fia's country).

This means that, either:
1) Carlteya knows the location of Aswad, hence able to send the letter.
or
2) Aswad has a "delivery man" at some other location, from which the letter would be passed to and then proceed to Aswad village.

Now, you mentioned that it seems weird that Midori and gang would be so careless as to allow themselves to be followed, but it isnt that impossible if its some "delivery man" who gets tailed, no?
Eclipze is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 21:56   Link #104
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in California
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diodati
Are we even totally sure Tomoe *isn't* going to continue trying to help Shizuru. I'm still not convinced Tomoe has locked Shizuru in there for her own purpose but simply as that is the best deal Tomoe got from Nagi. I find it hard to believe that Nagi would give ''Shizuru'' as a reward to Tomoe joining up as an Otome. ''Giving Shizuru her own room where she can walk around without handcuffs'' - yeah that would probably be a sizeable reward - and it's what Tomoe was determined to do last episode. Tomoe is in no position to make any larger demands, she may not even be loyal having done no missions etc.

Her conversation with Shizuru, if anything, seemed to imply she was going to go on them/continue on doing that for Shizuru. If everyone else thinks it's covering a blackmail in there then that's fine - maybe I'm far too sympathetic to the green meanie, but if Shizuru does become a love-pet like everyone thinks she is, then I'm not totally sure Tomoe has that in her head right now. At least we'll now the true motivations next episode, hopefully.


Heh, that's actually quite scary.
Hmmm...actually I found a site with those changes. I'll go ahead and post those changes in the Image section if anyone is interested. When observing the changes you can clearly see Hisayuki's trademark style in the improved version.

EDIT: Here it is:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...d=1#post485796

I just hope Hisayuki steps in and becomes more of a supervisor to those animators for the next few eps. Episode 20 was a bit disappointing in that regard.

His work is the other reason why I watch this series.

*Praying that the "reunion" scene is at least under his intense supervision....he needs to do more key friends and hire better inbetweeners.

--Lone Wolf

Last edited by lone_wolf; 2006-02-26 at 22:07.
lone_wolf is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 21:58   Link #105
Hyosuke575
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
This was a very interesting episode for many reasons.

First we have the humiliation of Natsuki by none other than Haruka! Which left me in stiches since after she was laughing she became serious and then started to laugh again. Not only that but quiet reserved Yukino almost started laughing after seeing Natsuki in the picture which was even funnier!

The bond between Arika and Mashiro has gotton stronger but before that I didn't expect for Mashiro to say let me kiss you. I know why she said but I didn't expect Mashiro to say that of all people!

Finally, we get to see how Nina met Sergey which confuses me even more who is the real queen! At this rate we probably won't find out untill near the end.

Midori was really cool in this episode showing how good of a leader she can be and making her my favorite character even more. Also she said something interesting when Arika asked her if otome were good or bad. She said that power is neither good or bad but without power death is the only route. I think after hearing this Arika is going to have a different perspective of otome and I'm curious to see how she is as an otome from now on.

Of course I can't forget what happened with Shizuru and Tomoe which was an eye opener. I had a feeling Tomoe would find a way to get closer to Shizuru. They didn't show much except a kiss and the sounds of clothes (which could mean anything!) but I didn't expect that to happen! I'm a ShizNat fan myself so to see this just wants Tomoe to pay even more than she already deserves. I personally hope Natsuki finds out and kicks Tomoes ass. Then we get a nice otome fight! Althought that will probably never happen.

Finally Chies going to the dark side, but I know shes planning something which will make things interesting later on.
Hyosuke575 is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 22:10   Link #106
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in California
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyosuke575
This was a very interesting episode for many reasons.

First we have the humiliation of Natsuki by none other than Haruka! Which left me in stiches since after she was laughing she became serious and then started to laugh again. Not only that but quiet reserved Yukino almost started laughing after seeing Natsuki in the picture which was even funnier!

The bond between Arika and Mashiro has gotton stronger but before that I didn't expect for Mashiro to say let me kiss you. I know why she said but I didn't expect Mashiro to say that of all people!

Finally, we get to see how Nina met Sergey which confuses me even more who is the real queen! At this rate we probably won't find out untill near the end.

Midori was really cool in this episode showing how good of a leader she can be and making her my favorite character even more. Also she said something interesting when Arika asked her if otome were good or bad. She said that power is neither good or bad but without power death is the only route. I think after hearing this Arika is going to have a different perspective of otome and I'm curious to see how she is as an otome from now on.

Of course I can't forget what happened with Shizuru and Tomoe which was an eye opener. I had a feeling Tomoe would find a way to get closer to Shizuru. They didn't show much except a kiss and the sounds of clothes (which could mean anything!) but I didn't expect that to happen! I'm a ShizNat fan myself so to see this just wants Tomoe to pay even more than she already deserves. I personally hope Natsuki finds out and kicks Tomoes ass. Then we get a nice otome fight! Althought that will probably never happen.
Hmmm....you never know....I'm praying that Natsuki does some arse-kicking too. Perhaps we can make a post ( or more of a request) at Hisayuki's site. I'm almost tempted to.

Of course it's the directors call but I'm sure he can be a major influence if he himself is influenced.

dendoh.com anyone?

--Lone Wolf
lone_wolf is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 22:21   Link #107
roon
_(:q 」∠)_ _(ФωФ*」∠)_
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifhaseth
Another reason to buy the DVD's when they come out. If nothing else, Sunrise sure is good at marketing.
... urge to throw bank account at Sunrise [yet again] rising. That's cool that they fixed the animation quality in the DVDs, but that also sucks that they only did it for something you have to -pay- for. Not that I'm against paying for anime, but really, these shows are on TV for a reason. (and hey, TV is free ;p) Still, though, smart move considering normal people wouldn't pay for crappy quality.

And yeah, the art for 20 made me want to go and throw my eyeballs at the TV. Really, some in-betweens can be ugly (it happens) but when the art strays too much from the original it weirds me out.

Poor Hisayuki must be working his ass off on fixing the eps for the DVDs.

(Sidenote: LOL that they made Arika's chest smaller in the DVD version)
roon is offline  
Old 2006-02-26, 22:36   Link #108
Hyosuke575
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
Hmmm....you never know....I'm praying that Natsuki does some arse-kicking too. Perhaps we can make a post ( or more of a request) at Hisayuki's site. I'm almost tempted to.

Of course it's the directors call but I'm sure he can be a major influence if he himself is influenced.

dendoh.com anyone?

--Lone Wolf
Hmmm.... I think I like that idea. On that note not only would a fight between Natsuki and Tomoe be good but how about a good otome fight period! Don't get me wrong some of the fights were really good but to me most were too short and not only that there is too few of them. In Mai Hime I'm pretty sure we had more fights than in Mai Otome. Then again in the last 6 episodes they could make up for it and I hope they do.
Hyosuke575 is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 00:46   Link #109
Naked Fish
Wench, but not incestous
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to Naked Fish
Despite my realizing I actually hate Arika more than I could have imagined, I did enjoy this episode somewhat. Yes, I still hate Mashiro, Nina and Arika and find them to be the most boring conflicting characters ever, but the hint that an actual interesting character (Mikoto) is likely to appear next episode made me happy. Just the black shadow silhouette thing was sufficient.

It seems as though Mikoto the cat does not necesarilly have to be present for the Harmonium to open, and that the three required to activate the Harmonium only have to have touched it once for it to work. So then, why are there three seperate parts to the organ and three seats?

I would comment on the other scenes, but none of them were really any good except for being shown how Sergey managed to get uglier than he already was without that scar and Haruka laughing at Natsuki. How did the paper get that picture? Soldiers with cameras?

It looks as if they're getting a little shoddy on Otome now, with super speed Fia and ugly face everyone. And adding some filler of Arika being angsty in one of the only ways to make a viewer completely bored with it. her talking to Midori was painful. I almost wish Mai had come in earlier and stolen the show. Not very stylish, but damn it would still be an improvement.

Oh well, until 21 (which better be good or I will be severly dissapointed with Otome, which wouldn't be the first time), I will hold my breath that this quality slump will end.
Naked Fish is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 01:12   Link #110
Thelastguardian
...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Blah you guys are fools. :^)

1. Tomoe comes get Shizuzu from the jail cell.
2. Tomoe shows Shizuzu her "Meister jewel"- Which is just a Slave cystal.
3. Tomoe tells Shizuzu that she will protect Shizuzu and that she will get a reward if she succeed.
4. Shizuzu tells Tomoe "Do your best".

Come on, isn't this obvious?

1. When Shizuzu sees Tomoe enters the cell, she became suspicious immediately. "Why would the Grand Duke of Artai let Garbadens trainees otome see their beloved Onee-san knowing that they can help me escape? Did this tranees struck some sort of deals?"
2. "Darn, the girl has one of the Slave cystals that Artai uses."
Shizuzu: Tomoe turns from fellow student that needs to be cared of to enemy.
3. Tomoe shows her weakness to Shizuzu by saying she will do anything for Shizuzu.
4. Shizuzu tells Tomoe "Do you best" and get killed in the process. If the slave dies, the host dies.

So basically, when the "bedroom" scene happened, Shizuzu already views Tomoe as her enemy. Therefore she can 1. manipulate Tomoe's feeling without remorse 2. try to motivate Tomoe enough so that she would risk her life for Shizuzu and get killed in the process.

Sheesh. What's up with you yuri fanboys.

I think Miyu has the answer. Who knows, maybe it is the same Miyu from the first season. After all, robots don't die, right?
__________________

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-02-27 at 01:32.
Thelastguardian is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 01:27   Link #111
xat
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Who knows, maybe it is the same Miyu from the first season. After all, robots don't die, right?
I stole this from the episode 18 discussion thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xat
When Miyu explains the origin of her name, what do you think she may be referring to?
xat is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 02:09   Link #112
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Wow, with some of the comments in ths thread, I was expecting a pretty horrible episode. I'm glad it wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought it wouyd be. Maybe I'm just easy to please. A 9/10 from me.

I really like how the Anime has made Midori a strong mentor and role model to Arika and Mashiro. This in turn has strengthen their friendship, as well as teach them how to be a stronger person. The full story on Nina's past was also quite nice but, Sergay surprised me on how cold he can be.
Iron Maw is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 02:38   Link #113
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Ah, my poor Nina. She's taking more unnecessary hits to her psychological well-being.
monster is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 02:52   Link #114
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
So basically, when the "bedroom" scene happened, Shizuzu already views Tomoe as her enemy. Therefore she can 1. manipulate Tomoe's feeling without remorse 2. try to motivate Tomoe enough so that she would risk her life for Shizuzu and get killed in the process.
If Shizuru was serious about trying to manipulate Tomoe, she would at least try to act like she is enjoying herself. She would have responded by looking at Tomoe in the eyes when Tomoe kissed her, or put her fingers around Tomoes hands. Would you not think Tomoe would have noticed that Shizuru was passive and unresponsive?

People are blaming bad animation quality, but I am saying it was intentional that Shizuru didn't act like her heart was into it. Seriously, where in hell is the manipulation if Shizuru was being as responsive as a wooden plank?

There is no manipulation. Shizuru is being raped by her former student, so she turned her brain off as a self-defense mechanism. And it won't be the last time, unless she find a way out of here soon...
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 02:54   Link #115
ranchan13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
People are blaming bad animation quality, but I am saying it was intentional that Shizuru didn't act like her heart was into it. Seriously, where in hell is the manipulation if Shizuru was being as responsive as a wooden plank?
She still loves Natsuki, and anything that would betray Natsuki's love, well, if she were to not go along with it, it wouldn't be manipulative, it would be giving up on Natsuki.
__________________
Combat
ELEment
STrategic
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 02:59   Link #116
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13
She still loves Natsuki, and anything that would betray Natsuki's love, well, if she were to not go along with it, it wouldn't be manipulative, it would be giving up on Natsuki.
Part of manipulation is knowing when to lie. To say and act in a way she doesn't truly feel.

How is "acting" like she likes Tomoe, a sign of giving up on Natsuki?

Shizuru didn't act like she liked Tomoe. Therefore she didn't manipulate Tomoe. I would like to see evidence to the contrary.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 03:05   Link #117
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
why does Sergeys suit just scream Trigun ... other than that it aren't red he is a grafic copy of Vash

gave it a 8/10 ... it can't really get a 10 after ep 19
Sian is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 03:14   Link #118
WhereAmI
Ecchi Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Inside your head, I'm a figment of your imagination
Kinda off topic, but part of wishes they hadn't used characters from the original series, because just like with Kira in Gundam Seed I see so many wanting Mai back. Personally, I wish they hadn't shown her at all (I liked Mai-hime, and since she wasn't going to be the main character in this, they shouldn't have teased all the fanboys with her in OP).

On a less serious note, I think Mashiro will turn out to be Miyu's love child

In terms of the capsule, my guess would be that if it turns out to be the one the Rena dropped off in the river, then those guys that Sergey shot probably found her at the river, and either the necklace fell off and kept going down the river where it was picked up by Arika's Grandmother, or there will be another twist, where it will turn out that Arika and Nina some how met each other through the assassination training and (based on my past experience watching anime) it will end up being that Arika was really scared and Nina gave her the necklace and said something like don't worry now, and I will protect you. Then when Arika went on a assassination mission, she ends up getting amnesia and ends up with Grandma. Man, I should have been an anime writer .
WhereAmI is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 05:30   Link #119
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Yes, just look at Tomoe's face when she was talking with Shizuru in this episode and tell me she is not in love with her.
The only thing with the faces in the bedroom scene that I see is that they are really badly drawn. All the eyes are off, cross-eyed, what have you. I first thought someone was pulling an elaborate joke and I had downloaded a manipulated RAW or something. But it recurs in many other places, for example Nagi has that weird look in the harmonium scene as well. Maybe they had a cross-eyed animator.
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2006-02-27, 05:37   Link #120
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAmI
Kinda off topic, but part of wishes they hadn't used characters from the original series, because just like with Kira in Gundam Seed I see so many wanting Mai back. Personally, I wish they hadn't shown her at all (I liked Mai-hime, and since she wasn't going to be the main character in this, they shouldn't have teased all the fanboys with her in OP).
I agree somewhat: Reusing the characters is taking its toll on the story.

Why? In Mai-Hime, they only had about 20+ characters to focus on, and in Mai-Otome, they have the 20+ characters AND about 10-15 new characters. Its stretching it, in terms of capacity for a 26 episode series. Now, they have to following to take care of:

-Introduction of characters that was shown in the OP: Mai, and the 2 pillars.
-Revelation that Rena is the new Shinso(sp?) for Nagi.
-Revelation on Arika and Miyu's relationship.
-Arika activating the *true powers* of her Meister robes.
-Harmonium --> capabilities, effects on the overall storyline (cant fit in yet, besides being a reset deus ex machina)
-Many others (How the Pillars get back their powers, if at all, how Shizuru will escape, who the real princess is, whether the new gems make them into the slave-like things behind Tomoe in the OP).

A disaster is impending, I fear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAmI
In terms of the capsule, my guess would be that if it turns out to be the one the Rena dropped off in the river, then those guys that Sergey shot probably found her at the river, and either the necklace fell off and kept going down the river where it was picked up by Arika's Grandmother, or there will be another twist, where it will turn out that Arika and Nina some how met each other through the assassination training and (based on my past experience watching anime) it will end up being that Arika was really scared and Nina gave her the necklace and said something like don't worry now, and I will protect you. Then when Arika went on a assassination mission, she ends up getting amnesia and ends up with Grandma. Man, I should have been an anime writer .
Excellent fan-twist, except that if Nina and Arika did indeed meet while they were younger, wouldnt Nina need to lose her memory of Arika as well? And as of episode 20, Nina would be the one who needs more comforting than Arika.
Eclipze is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.