AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-02-25, 02:40   Link #1
Zetrio
The Knight!

Problem with linksys router download rate

I read the guide> I know my router is trying to protect me by restricting others to connect so my download is very slow. Some tell me to open port 6881 to 6889. Problem is how do i do it?

Do i go here?

What do i type in application then? bittorrent? btdownloadgui? Seriously i dont even know what is the application name to type it in.

Somebody pls help
Zetrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 02:56   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

"Application" is just a comment field. You can fill in anything you like. Or even leave it empty I think.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 03:46   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

That's the correct area, but I'd recommend just enabling UPnP forwarding instead. Enable it in your router, and then enable it in your BT client - I think that all clients support this; if not, an overwhelming majority do. The benefit is that you don't need to worry about the port ranges, the client basically forwards its own ports as it needs them. Much simpler, more efficient, and in a way, more secure.
Old 2006-02-25, 04:07   Link #4
Zetrio
The Knight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
That's the correct area, but I'd recommend just enabling UPnP forwarding instead. Enable it in your router, and then enable it in your BT client - I think that all clients support this; if not, an overwhelming majority do. The benefit is that you don't need to worry about the port ranges, the client basically forwards its own ports as it needs them. Much simpler, more efficient, and in a way, more secure.

I already enable uPnP in my router settings. Also enable uPnP fast forwarding type 1(fast) in bittornado but still, the download is slow for torrents like new episodes of naruto, bleach, initial d...
Old 2006-02-25, 17:22   Link #5
GoTz
Deleted

On second thought... just follow this guide exactly
http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTornado.htm

After you're done go back to your router interface and disable DHCP that was key for me getting higher dl speeds

Make sure you don't skip the STATIC IP step in the guide . . .

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 18:49   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetrio
I already enable uPnP in my router settings. Also enable uPnP fast forwarding type 1(fast) in bittornado but still, the download is slow for torrents like new episodes of naruto, bleach, initial d...
Does BitTornado's light turn green? If it does, it means that the forward was successful. If you're experiencing slow speeds when you first start the download, this is due to the way that the BitTorrent protocol works.

If you're experiencing it throughout the entire download, it may be something else. If you experience slow BitTorrent speeds on ALL torrents, then your ISP may be blocking BitTorrent traffic, or it may be a forwarding option. You can try setting the UPnP forwarding to Type 2; I had to do this with one of my Linksys routers in order for it to give me regular performance.

As I mentioned before, if you're only experiencing slow speeds on certain torrents, then it isn't a forwarding issue. If you'd like, I can explain possible reasons for the slow speeds upon starting torrents and on both old and new torrents.
Old 2006-02-26, 00:44   Link #7
Zetrio
The Knight!

I am experiencing slow downloads on all torrents. I cant get the light to turn green. Its always yellow.

Although light is still yellow, i am experiencing slightly faster download rate(from (0to10kb/s) to now (5to 30kb/s). I tried on popular torrents like new episodes of naruto, bleach, initial d. The speed is 5to 30kb/s whether i use type 1 or 2 forwardings.

The no of seeds have increased but no of peers remained less than 10.

below are some ss. Hope someone can help me achieve the optimal download rate.

Old 2006-02-26, 02:12   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

First, in your BitTorrent preferences, cut the port range. You have it starting from 1, which is a big-time no. The reason for this is that a lot of Windows Services are assigned to ports 1 through 1024, so you're opening yourself up to port conflicts. A huge port range doesn't improve your performance, either - it won't make it worse, unless you have conflicts. Cut the range to From: 50000 To: 60000 and you'd be fine.

As for port forwarding, you entered your forwarding information in the wrong area of your router. It's possible to get it to work that way, I guess, but I've never heard of forwarding through the port triggering range. If you only have one computer connected through the router, or only one computer that you care to use BitTorrent on, assign a static IP to it through the router, and then forward the ports to that IP.

UPnP should work, however. Did you try switching BitTornado's UPnP forwarding to UPnP type 2? And are you sure it's enabled in your router? Try turning it off in your router, save the settings, then turn it on, and save the settings again just to be doubly sure.
Old 2006-02-26, 08:18   Link #9
Zetrio
The Knight!

Hey thx I got it working at full speed 100+kb/s and the light is green now. I adjusted both the port range forward and the bittorent client to 6881 to 6889 and it works now.
Old 2006-02-26, 13:30   Link #10
Rokl

I'm not using Windows XP, but where do you find all those router things? I couldn't find a window like that anywhere, and my download speeds are like at most 20 kb/s, usually 5-10 kb/s.
Rokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 14:48   Link #11
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

It's router specific. You have to type the address in a browser and you'll get a display kinda like the one above. The addy is different for each router, but it's usually something like http://192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Or, you know, RTM
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 02:30   Link #12
bastard-sama
The Bastard

That also depends if you have a router and the same router as the person
bastard-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 06:54   Link #13
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetrio
Hey thx I got it working at full speed 100+kb/s and the light is green now. I adjusted both the port range forward and the bittorent client to 6881 to 6889 and it works now.
That range is strongly not recommended. Although it is a traditional default, the traditional default ranges for p2p applications are more frequently monitored, limited and blocked by ISPs.

http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/randomport.php