AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-01, 11:03   Link #1081
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I feel that people are over exaggerating about Shana II, there are only about 6 episodes that made a lot of people complain, or at least I'd hope so. That's not half the show.
Old 2008-02-01, 13:22   Link #1082
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I feel that people are over exaggerating about Shana II, there are only about 6 episodes that made a lot of people complain, or at least I'd hope so. That's not half the show.
I agree and PLUS, even if the plot isn't always good sometimes, Shana is WAY too beautifully animated to throw away. I'd only list anime that, if I look at it visually, I'd go EW GOD NO!! But Shana is eyecandy-that alone could save it for me.
Old 2008-02-01, 13:38   Link #1083
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Miyazaki films (save for Cagliostro and Kiki)
Wow... I thought I was about the only anime fan in existence who doesn't get why Miyazaki is so incredibly loved. It's nice to know that I'm not entirely alone.

I genuinely liked Laputa: Castle in the Sky, but I wasn't fond of Spirited Away.
Old 2008-02-01, 13:54   Link #1084
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
6episode is a lot, that is practically 25% of the show and in some case that is about half a show. During that six episodes so much could have been done. I still don't think that Shana II is that bad, currently it's going into right direction but compare to first one it is massive disappointment.
Old 2008-02-01, 13:58   Link #1085
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Wow... I thought I was about the only anime fan in existence who doesn't get why Miyazaki is so incredibly loved. It's nice to know that I'm not entirely alone.

I genuinely liked Laputa: Castle in the Sky, but I wasn't fond of Spirited Away.
This reminded me, I went to see Howl's Moving Castle in the big screen and couldn't get the story, plot and purpose at all. That said, I'm not too fond of Miyazaki films that came after Kiki (save for Princess Mononoke which I haven't watched).
Old 2008-02-01, 14:33   Link #1086
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

As an adult, Mononoke Hime is much the best of the those three films. I often found Howl rather slow and uninteresting. Spirited Away is a better film, and I always enjoy stories with plucky young girls as protagonists, but it didn't pose the same intellectual and emotional challenges that Mononoke did. The Lady Eboshi is truly one of the great characters of modern cinema; in one person, Miyazaki portrays the conflict between human "progress" and the natural world. Moreover he offers no easy answers. Eboshi is not a villain in my mind; I don't think Miyazaki sees her that way either.

You should watch this movie.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-01 at 20:14. Reason: grammar
Old 2008-02-01, 17:09   Link #1087
Chiibi

Yeah, Mononoke Hime is a really wonderful Miyazaki film. I'd say it's his best too.
Old 2008-02-01, 18:12   Link #1088
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
6episode is a lot, that is practically 25% of the show and in some case that is about half a show. During that six episodes so much could have been done. I still don't think that Shana II is that bad, currently it's going into right direction but compare to first one it is massive disappointment.
Well hey, I can pick out about 25% of almost all anime series and consider those bad episodes, the only reason I see people truly complaining is that it was all in a row.

Something like Bleach to me is like 50% bad, but the 50% that's good is good enough for me to watch it.
Old 2008-02-01, 20:22   Link #1089
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Completely off subject, but I think Nausicaa is his best then Mononoke.
Old 2008-02-01, 20:32   Link #1090
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
This reminded me, I went to see Howl's Moving Castle in the big screen and couldn't get the story, plot and purpose at all. That said, I'm not too fond of Miyazaki films that came after Kiki (save for Princess Mononoke which I haven't watched).
I haven't seen Princess Mononoke myself yet, either. I'll probably try to check it out sometime.

As for Nausicaa of the Wind... I'll admit that I downloaded this off the internet twice through two different torrent sites, and both downloads had pretty severe lag between the video and the audio, hence ruining the experience. I couldn't watch more than about 30 minutes of it before the lag just annoyed me into not watching it through.

I do get the sense that I would have enjoyed it fairly well if either of the downloads had been smoother, though having Patrick Strewart (one of my favourite actors) voice-act one of the roles does bias me a bit there.

Still, there's a decent chance I'll purchase a DVD of Nausicaa of the Wind in the future, though I do perfer to get DVDs which include a lot of episodes of anime series' as oppossed to one lone anime movie.

As for Shana II - I actually don't think that Shana II has had any bad episodes. It's just that they've had an overabundance of "slice of life" episodes in general. Either one of those episodes looks fine in and of itself , but one after another after another after another... it gets a bit tiresome after awhile, and it made it so that when a certain key antagonist finally showed up, I actually started cheering.
Old 2008-02-01, 21:30   Link #1091
Echoes

I guess it's rather off-topic, but I see a lot of people saying they haven't seen Princess Mononoke yet.

There's really just one thing I can say to that: Watch it. Like, now. I'd lend you the DVD, but there's this huge pond between us.
Old 2008-02-01, 22:13   Link #1092
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Completely off subject, but I think Nausicaa is his best then Mononoke.
Nausicaa kinda bored me a bit. Please don't flame me! I just couldn't get into it though.
Old 2008-02-01, 22:38   Link #1093
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Nausicaa kinda bored me a bit. Please don't flame me! I just couldn't get into it though.
I'm not the person who gives negative reputation because I disagree with someone's opinion. In fact, I'm usually the victim of that since I have this habit of speaking my mind. I also like a lot of weird anime people hate, but I enjoy originality in anime, and Nausicaa was just a classic for me. I was actually kind of bored until the second half too, when it got really interesting for some reason.
Old 2008-02-02, 00:05   Link #1094
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As an adult, Mononoke Hime is much the best of the those three films. I often found Howl rather slow and uninteresting. Spirited Away is a better film, and I always enjoy stories with plucky young girls as protagonists, but it didn't pose the same intellectual and emotional challenges that Mononoke did. The Lady Eboshi is truly one of the great characters of modern cinema; in one person, Miyazaki portrays the conflict between human "progress" and the natural world. Moreover he offers no easy answers. Eboshi is not a villain in my mind; I don't think Miyazaki sees her that way either.

You should watch this movie.
What I really liked about that film was that there was no clear-cut line between "good guys" and "bad guys". Everyone had some noble, decent parts, but at the same time also did some bad things as well.

It was also one of the rare films where I actually liked both the japanese and english dubbed versions equally. That doesn't happen very often for me.

Nausicaa was probably the first Miyazaki film I had the priveledge to see, and i still like it to this day.

An anime I'm adding to the frisbee pile is Galaxy Angel. One of the worst pieces of crap I have ever had the misfortune of watching. Thank God it was only a rental. I watched a whole five episodes before giving up completely, as watching any more would have been physically painful to both my eyes and ears. If you haven't seen it, not only are you not missing anything, your quality of life will be preserved by NOT watching it. No really, stay away. It should be frisbee-d then thoroughly salted and burned.
Old 2008-02-02, 00:09   Link #1095
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Agreed, I even think there are only about 5 or 6 crap episodes (dwelling a bit too much on the love triangle scenes). Then after those, it's awesomeness again.

Quote:
I agree and PLUS, even if the plot isn't always good sometimes, Shana is WAY too beautifully animated to throw away. I'd only list anime that, if I look at it visually, I'd go EW GOD NO!! But Shana is eyecandy-that alone could save it for me.
In addition, there's also the great soundtrack to go with the good animation.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-02-02 at 17:41.
Old 2008-02-02, 10:47   Link #1096
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
mm, re-watched Maburaho, and I realized that it was unbelievably boring. the ending was 'depressing', since i've felt that i wasted my time for a second time. hell, the ending resolved nothing, at least not in a good way.
Old 2008-02-02, 15:54   Link #1097
Chiibi

Quote:
I'm not the person who gives negative reputation because I disagree with someone's opinion.
Reps for you!

Quote:
An anime I'm adding to the frisbee pile is Galaxy Angel. One of the worst pieces of crap I have ever had the misfortune of watching. Thank God it was only a rental. I watched a whole five episodes before giving up completely, as watching any more would have been physically painful to both my eyes and ears. If you haven't seen it, not only are you not missing anything, your quality of life will be preserved by NOT watching it. No really, stay away. It should be frisbee-d then thoroughly salted and burned.
I'm gonna have to agree. The manga rocks hardcore and the anime sucks. >_< Please give the manga a chance though!
Quote:
In addition, there's also the great soundtrack to go with the good animation.
YES.
Old 2008-02-02, 22:01   Link #1098
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
Wow... I thought I was about the only anime fan in existence who doesn't get why Miyazaki is so incredibly loved. It's nice to know that I'm not entirely alone. I genuinely liked Laputa: Castle in the Sky, but I wasn't fond of Spirited Away.
Personally, I feel that the only Miyazaki movie that deserves to be used as a frisbee is Tales of Earthsea. But that was made by Goro Miyazaki, Hayao's eldest son. As his first attempt at anime production, Goro's movie wasn't a complete disaster, but unfortunately, it compares very badly against the rest of the Miyazaki canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
I disagree. I think Spirited Away is easily the best of the Hayao Miyzaki's movies. Mononoke Hime is an epic film which sweeps the audience away with sheer grandeur and momentum, but Spirited Away is by far the more personal movie which touches matters deep in our hearts. While I thoroughly enjoyed Mononoke Hime, I found its environmental message a tad too heavy-handed. In contrast, Spirited Away doesn't clobber you with its morals. The same criticism against waste and pollution is also there, but delivered much more subtly (eg, the stink god).
Old 2008-02-02, 23:40   Link #1099
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Personally, I feel that the only Miyazaki movie that deserves to be used as a frisbee is Tales of Earthsea.
I don't think that any of the Miyazaki films (none of the ones that I've seen, any way) deserve to be used as a frisbee - it's just that I'm not a fan of all the ones that I've seen. Even if I don't personally like one or more of the Miyazaki films, I wouldn't consider them outright garbage. Garbage is rarely, if ever, this critically acclaimed, I must admit.
Old 2008-02-02, 23:47   Link #1100
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Reps for you!

I'm gonna have to agree. The manga rocks hardcore and the anime sucks. >_< Please give the manga a chance though!

YES.
i agree. I remember buying the first 2 volumes for a friend for x-mas, and before i gave it to her, i read them. I really enjoyed them. I never saw the anime though.

もいちど。。。
Closed Thread