AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-09, 16:14   Link #2541
Conri

Oof. I searched this thread for "game", and I can't believe it still hasn't been released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska View Post
And these Lines, are from a 3D Program.
Are you referring to the background shower tile lines in the image? ( http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2...5914883mk7.jpg ) Those are definitely hand drawn; you can tell by the inconsistent tile thickness and the sketchiness.
Quote:
In 2D you don't need the deep Well perhaps for the 2.5D (Pseudo 3D).Nowadays they use the CG for original Sketches. Because it should be very hard to get original Sketches in eBay.
Maybe not depth itself...but the illusion of depth is just as important. Poorly executed perspective is jarring. I recently watched an anime episode that had a scene where a character was running away from the screen. Her legs were moving fast, but she was hardly progressing over the ground. The length and speed of her running strides were matching up very poorly with how much ground she was covering and how fast she was disappearing into the distance.

Pseudo-3D is a term that I think is more applicable to actual game play, not the more "traditionally" animated cut scenes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Objection! I still think the kiss between Amuria and Neviril in the first episode is hotter.
Agreed. However, the best kiss would have to be the wall kiss. And I think the cutest kiss comes at the end of episode 10; although the two guys kiss could also be a contender in my book. There's certainly plenty of kisses to choose from in this show.

=====
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a huge fan, unless you start attacking people or trying to establish superiority with it.

As for flaws in Simoun, I think there are plenty, but much like people, I think for shows you love best, you love them in their entirety, flaws and all. Flaws are also subjective: where one person feels the climax came too soon, I felt it was just right, because we focused on different things: the war plot versus the character development. There's no such thing as a perfect show, and if there was, it would probably be quite boring...hence, not perfect after all.
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 16:21   Link #2542
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Wow. We really are lousy psychics, but I, at least, can say it's because I'm always pessimistic about everything.

This is pleasant news. I always like it when above average/ non-cookie cutter anime get licensed, because I hope it sends a message to the people who make anime that there is a market for something other that a cute girl boob comedy. Wonder what cover art they're going to use. Speaking of, is there a Simoun artbook anywhere?
Old 2007-05-10, 01:56   Link #2543
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conri View Post
I recently watched an anime episode that had a scene where a character was running away from the screen. Her legs were moving fast, but she was hardly progressing over the ground.
Aaeru in ep25, around the 12:01 mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
is there a Simoun artbook anywhere?
Sadly not. Let us pray that this void in the fabric of the universe may one day be filled.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 04:17   Link #2544
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Simoun licensed by Media Blasters

The Media Blasters license for Simoun was formally announced yesterday at Anime Central. See http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/05/an...ral-day-2.html for details.

Squee!
Old 2007-05-13, 05:29   Link #2545
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
The Media Blasters license for Simoun was formally announced yesterday at Anime Central. See http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/05/an...ral-day-2.html for details.
Squee!
Unconvincing, to say the least. Since then are we considering blogs an official source?
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 05:58   Link #2546
arkon

Since now.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 07:58   Link #2547
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Since now.
Especially since AnimeOnDVD consider it legit as well:

http://animeondvd.com/

Quote:
Media Blasters Nabs Simoun (08:16 AM EDT): First showing up on the Anime Central lists and now confirmed by yuri blogger Okazu, it appears that Media Blasters has indeed picked up the series Simoun.
Now what do we have left? Strawberry Panic?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 09:32   Link #2548
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Send a message via Skype™ to oneplusme
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Unconvincing, to say the least. Since then are we considering blogs an official source?
Ordinarily I wouldn't have given it much credence, but Erica (who also runs Yuricon) is definitely reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Now what do we have left? Strawberry Panic?
Blech. There were rumours that Media Blasters had that as well.

The really interesting one would be if Geneon finally acquired Marimite...
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 10:35   Link #2549
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme View Post
The really interesting one would be if Geneon finally acquired Marimite...
...or finally spilled the beans about it if they already do.

(No, I don't know anything, other than the rumors.)
Old 2007-05-13, 10:47   Link #2550
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Hmm... I hear Elfen Lied did horribly in Japan, but it's one of the most popular series in North America now. Maybe Media Blasters is going by that precedent.
If that's the case, though, it makes me wonder if they've actually seen the show ...
I'm still kinda in a state of disbelief over this. Definitely not something I would have put money on, even after AIR got licensed. Still great news, though
Old 2007-05-13, 12:18   Link #2551
Conri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I'm still kinda in a state of disbelief over this.
For some reason, this license didn't shock me as much as it probably should have...I think it is a combination of Media Blasters licensing Kashimashi, Loveless, etc. as well as the fact that I probably compare Simoun's chances of being licensed to that of my other most wanted show, Aria. At least Simoun has air battles! War! "Yuri"! Character deaths! Love triangles! Controversial portrayals of topics like religion and gender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Aaeru in ep25, around the 12:01 mark?
Tiny Aaeru! No wonder I'd forgotten. She does look like she's running on a treadmill there. The instance I mentioned in my last post was ridiculously obvious because it was a character in the front and center of the animation (I think it might have been an episode of Ikkitousen...my memory is failing me).
Old 2007-05-14, 09:27   Link #2552
rvwill19

Women in combat - Interestingly enough there is one example woman pilots fighting in war - see

A Dance With Death: Soviet Airwomen in World War II
by Anne Noggle

Wings, Women, and War: Soviet Airwomen in World War II Combat
by Reina Pennington

Noggle's book is a collection of personal stories of 69 airwomen is especially
touching particularly the ending photos of the aged survivors. Pennington's book is the more scholarly and includes extensive lists, tables and political background etc. A soviet pilot Marina Raskova with an impressive prewar reputation something like Amelia Earhart was well known by Stalin and used her influence allow women pilots to fly in the Soviet airforce.

Here's note on Noggle's book
"From Publishers Weekly
Noggle, a U.S. Women's Airforce Service Pilot during WWII, traveled to Russia several times between 1990 and 1992 to record the reminiscences of 69 Soviet women airforce veterans. Trained as combat pilots, mechanics, navigators and ground crews after Stalin ordered the formation of three all-female air regiments in 1941, their mission was primarily defensive. A number of them became aces-i.e., they shot down five or more enemy planes. This was the first instance of widespread employment of women in combat by a major power. The women talk about their reasons for joining, the extremely rigorous training and harsh living conditions, the way the Soviet military system dealt with them collectively and individually and the role they played in tactical operations. There is plenty of adventure, emotion and drama in these pages, and readers will note that the experiences of these women were hardly different from those of their male counterparts. Noggle writes movingly of the continuing friendships among the survivors (about 100 are still alive) and their twice-yearly meetings in Moscow for a vodka-fueled, sisterly celebration. Most moving of all: the noble photos taken by Noggle of these veterans in old age. "

This makes one imagine the Simoun characters getting together years after their experiences - what would they be like then? etc etc
rvwill19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 10:07   Link #2553
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
You've got to love how ANN refers to it as "Simoun The Yuri With Mecha Series". Wouldn't that by Fantasy Mecha. Is Yuri even a genre? Last time I checked.....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 23:43   Link #2554
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You've got to love how ANN refers to it as "Simoun The Yuri With Mecha Series". Wouldn't that by Fantasy Mecha. Is Yuri even a genre? Last time I checked.....
I did a quick search for Simoun on Amazon (U.S.) today and was pleasantly surprised to see that the Drama and Audio CDs popped up. I noticed that the page was short and realized it was b/c no one has done any feedback for them.

After seeing Kaioshin_Sama's post, I began to wonder what to post that would nudge people into giving the CDs and (hopefully) the series a chance.

I would give it a go but I'm afraid I'd come across as horribly fanboy-ish which would discredit anything I wrote and turn people off to it.

Any suggestions / volunteers?

“The avalanche has already begun. It's too late for the pebbles to vote.” -Kosh
rishidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 13:31   Link #2555
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Erica received permission and oficially announced on her blog that Media Blasters has the rights to Simoun. You can check her post over at blogspot or just click this link to the post.

Of note is that ICV2, a website which caters to comic book shop owners and specializes in gathering information about pop culture for it's readership has a brief article about Simoun's licensing on their front page today.

If youd like to see their take the series description, the article can be found under the heading: Media Blasters Acquires 'Simoun' 'Yuri' Science Fiction Anime

To quote Futaba Chan: SQUEEE EE E E !

“The avalanche has already begun. It's too late for the pebbles to vote.” -Kosh

Last edited by rishidan; 2007-05-16 at 18:59. Reason: grammar ftl =p
rishidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 15:02   Link #2556
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishidan View Post
Of note is that ICV2, a website which caters to comic book shop owners and specializes in gathering information about pop culture for it's readership has a brief article about Simoun's licensing on their front page today.
What's promising about this is that they spelled "Aaeru", "Neviril", "Argentum", and so forth correctly, and demonstrated a clue about the plot (although they got Aaeru and Neviril mixed up as to auriga vs. sagitta). It's as if they've been watching the fansubs, or at least reading the Wikipedia page. If all of that information came out of marketing materials that MB sent them, it's especially promising....
Old 2007-05-17, 11:46   Link #2557
Polaryzed_123
Workin' sux!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Polaryzed_123 Send a message via MSN to Polaryzed_123 Send a message via Yahoo to Polaryzed_123
I just recently (this morning) finished watching Simoun and found my way here as a result of my thirst for more and answers. I read most of the posts in this thread from around Sept on (basically right after ep 26 aired). Truth be told, I was very impressed with the level of detail and thought that went into a lot of the poster's comments.

Mostly I wanted to make sure that you guys know that I am officially a Simoun fanboy now. I loved the ending for the way it tied up some themes, but left some wide open. Truly a bittersweet conclusion, but more importantly one that made me reflect on myself and the way that different aspects of my life related to some of the characters. The last time I watched an anime that had this kind of personal affect on me was Evangelion.

As much as I want to know all of the answers that were never finalized, part of me also wants them to remain a mystery. Nothing in life is fully known or guaranteed, and just feeling that there may exist a type of love in the world that transcends spatial and temporal planes is enlightening. I feel like I'm now part of a small club
that "get's it". Whatever that may mean to you.

Sure it wasn't a perfect anime, there are aspets of it that could have been done better, but nothing is ever perfect. All in all I think that I'm a better person for watching it and I look forward to buying the DVD's. Thanks.
Polaryzed_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 10:04   Link #2558
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
I finally finished this series yesterday. Man talk about getting around to it. Well, I had started watching it when it was airing but y'know there wasn't enough "work" going on for it. But I thank the ___ that put in the effort. I enjoyed it. That's all I can really say. I'll also say that the story is not as complex as people thought it was when it first aired. There was all this talk about the terminology that scared folks away. But once you get down to it things are pretty simple. The only problem I had was some of the story. While having some holes it's not so bad that you can't follow it. I sort of got a bit lost in the pacing toward the end. But I can see this series requires a second viewing to get some of the key points. I had to consult the wiki to understand what I missed. I'll say whoever put that write-up for the plot did a DAMN GOOD job. It summarized the whole point of the series in very little words. Not many grammatical errors either. But after reading it I could see where the series plot had issues trying to explain it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it could have been better orchestrated. But all in all a decent story.

Lots of drama and emotional issues. Though I did find Aeru's voice interestingly odd. Talk about your "back-woods beast boonie". I kept finding myself wondering what the hell was she at times. She had no clue to how normal things worked. Knowledgle about combat but relationships no. It's like 'Tarzan' and the apes. It was like she lived her life as a wild animal. Which pretty much summed up her personality. She and 'Neviril' were about as different as apples and quarters. 'Aeru' was 'Tarzan' and 'Neviril' her 'Jane'. Now just wait for the rock to clock you upside you head. :lol: :lol: But again I found their relation to be interesting as well as moving. Along with everyone else.

Great show! Please support it!

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 17:34   Link #2559
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I just watched episode 8 of Emily of New Moon (Kaze no Shoujo Emily). It was wonderful, and brought tears to my eyes, as several episodes of this woefully underappreciated show have. Not fansubbed yet. Sound familiar?

The reason I'm posting here is that when I looked at the end credits, I saw that the episode was storyboarded by Nishimura Junji, the director of Simoun. Checking ja.Wikipedia, I see that he also storyboarded episodes of Shounen Onmyouji, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, and Full Moon wo Sagashite. In addition, Toyoguchi Megumi (Alti) had a role in this episode of Emily.

Emily of New Moon is based on a novel (novels?) by Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables, and tells a story quite similar to that: old-fashioned, but emotional and strong.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-26 at 18:59.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 00:36   Link #2560
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

So, where exactly is AnimeExpo again?

http://www.moetron.com/2007/06/01/an...savage-genius/

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri